Genesis in Poser

124»

Comments

• estheresther Posts: 608
    edited December 1969

Your tutorial is still valid for the latest versions of everything. you could just add on a bit about poser skinning and poser subd at the end.
    Love esther

• Cliff BowmanCliff Bowman Posts: 1,677
    edited December 1969

esther said:
    Your tutorial is still valid for the latest versions of everything. you could just add on a bit about poser skinning and poser subd at the end.
    Love esther

I've actually lost the source .doc :( but I've been considering an addendum if I can't recover it, or even recreating it from scratch (with screenshots in windows 7 instead of Windows XP - I've upgraded!). One benefit of not using the DSON Importer is that "external" programs (like Vue or the Queue Manager) support the results. The Queue Manager can be a real timesaver if you've got multiple old machines lying around (all mine are old! LOL).

I've also done some experimenting, some good while back now, in editing the .CR2 produced by DSON to use a Genesis .OBJ file directly rather than use the DSON plugin, but I didn't finish my experiments :(

All I have to do is finish these 3 products and then... :(

Cheers,

Cliff

edited December 1969

that all sounds great. do you want me to try and convert your exporting from ds into poser tutorial doc from pdf to word and send it to you?

edited December 1969

DSON was quite slow in poser when I first experimented but I probably would have tried using it for my comic, rendering in DS and Poser, but for the fact that I sometimes use vue for my outdoor scenes as well. now I can export to vue I presume because your method gets rid of that subd cage and adjusts UV mapping, but it is quite a bit of work as I would have to convert al the clothes so I might just wait and see what you come up with next and stop my genesis experiments for the moment.

edited December 1969

Don't stop! The three projects I'm working on right now are plenty enough for me at the moment, so don't expect me to come up with something good for Genesis in Poser any time soon :(

Thanks for the offer with the doc - I should have a recoverable version of the text partway through the "putting it together" stage, and I recently found a backup copy of the original images. So I should be able to reconstruct it reasonably quickly once the current projects are done (except I'm really enjoying them too! LOL).

Cheers,

Cliff

edited December 1969

well I still have that netherworks script if I could find some way to make the male UVs work on it.

• Arcane Von OblivionArcane Von Oblivion Posts: 149
    edited December 1969

Have any of you noticed that if you put the arms up and compare the figures will look different if I am correct. I've been over this a few times and wanted to use direct runtime versions at one time. but the flaw is that the versions of characters that are CR2 don't bend the same way as they do in Poser. put the arms up on both versions and do the same in Daz Studio and you will see the difference. I believe it is because Poser doesn't support Triax weights. to get it to work right you would have to actually do bend morphs for each bend (Lots of work!!!). I gave up and use MDD. Let me know if this has changed since about a year ago because I also use Vue and MDD was my answer.

• edited December 1969

I build a quick scene Daz studio 4.8. Exported the figure to Vue 2015 as a OBJ file and did the envoirement in Vue 2015:

image[/url]

I'am done with how hard it is to get content in Poser and make a good render.

• williamboswellwilliamboswell Posts: 130
    edited December 1969

esther said:
    DSON was quite slow in poser when I first experimented but I probably would have tried using it for my comic, rendering in DS and Poser, but for the fact that I sometimes use vue for my outdoor scenes as well. now I can export to vue I presume because your method gets rid of that subd cage and adjusts UV mapping, but it is quite a bit of work as I would have to convert al the clothes so I might just wait and see what you come up with next and stop my genesis experiments for the moment.

I just started using the DSON importer because the last time I used it a couple of years ago I couldn't get it to work. I have also discovered the more Genesis2 figures I have added to Poser the slower it is getting. I too would like to find a way to transfer or create the OBJ files and get rid of the DSON importer altogether. If there are OBJ files, I can't find them. I did find some with file names full of junk that are meaningless.

I have had some luck with creating Poser Companion Files with products that don't have them, but some products are a headache. Exporting from DAZ Studio doesn't work very well for clothing because they "blow up" when trying to fit a character. Using D3D's DSON Loader gives better results, but not always with materials.

edited December 1969

A friend of mine gave me this suggestion for making it a bit faster when I was trying to use freak 5 etc
    "The main reason why DSON is slow is because the HUGE amount of morphs. This makes everything very slow. Example: Josie loads in a few seconds, F5 (installed in another runtime) takes more than 30 seconds. The difference is that F5 inherits ALL the genesis morphs (several thousands) and Josie only a couple of hundred.
    Now here is the idea: Create a completely new runtime, install poser essentials in there, then install f5 there. So it only has the necessary morphs.
    That should be a LOT quicker. Do a separate runtime each figure you want to use and do the same thing installing only the morphs you need for that figure"
    I have managed to fit clothes using evilinnocence's crossdresser

The replacing of the obj file is only necessary to keep it safe. If you add
    new morphs to genesis, DSON will create a new obj and remove the old one (I
    think). So making a copy and having the cr2 point to the copy is just a
    safety precaution.

Love esther

edited December 1969

whbos said:
    If there are OBJ files, I can't find them. I did find some with file names full of junk that are meaningless.

The DSON importer auto-generates a .OBJ when you first use it to load a DSON object. For example, I have a file called...

[...] Poser Pro 2014 Content\Runtime\DSON\auto_adapted\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 2\Female\Genesis2Female\GenesisFemale{44429336-2748-372d-7dce-acb9680bff93}.obj

which loads up into a mesh editor just fine.

The code after the figure name appears to relate to the mesh, and possibly morphs - so if G2F gets an update a new .obj could be created.

I had some thoughts about converting DSON figures to non-DSON figures, but my health/wealth combination hasn't allowed me to investigate it as far as I would have liked :(

Cheers,

Cliff

edited December 1969

Sorry to hear you have ongoing health issues. If you ever do get your ideas working though, I would be really interested to see it.
    Love esther

edited December 1969

esther said:
    A friend of mine gave me this suggestion for making it a bit faster when I was trying to use freak 5 etc
    "The main reason why DSON is slow is because the HUGE amount of morphs. This makes everything very slow. Example: Josie loads in a few seconds, F5 (installed in another runtime) takes more than 30 seconds. The difference is that F5 inherits ALL the genesis morphs (several thousands) and Josie only a couple of hundred.
    Now here is the idea: Create a completely new runtime, install poser essentials in there, then install f5 there. So it only has the necessary morphs.
    That should be a LOT quicker. Do a separate runtime each figure you want to use and do the same thing installing only the morphs you need for that figure"
    I have managed to fit clothes using evilinnocence's crossdresser

The replacing of the obj file is only necessary to keep it safe. If you add
    new morphs to genesis, DSON will create a new obj and remove the old one (I
    think). So making a copy and having the cr2 point to the copy is just a
    safety precaution.

Love esther

Thank you. I'll try the separate runtimes for different figures. I'm using mostly Genesis 2 figures and have everything including DSON props in a Genesis folder apart from my other runtimes. All my runtimes are on a separate drive and not in the Poser program folder.

edited December 1969

whbos said:
    If there are OBJ files, I can't find them. I did find some with file names full of junk that are meaningless.

The DSON importer auto-generates a .OBJ when you first use it to load a DSON object. For example, I have a file called...

[...] Poser Pro 2014 Content\Runtime\DSON\auto_adapted\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 2\Female\Genesis2Female\GenesisFemale{44429336-2748-372d-7dce-acb9680bff93}.obj

which loads up into a mesh editor just fine.

The code after the figure name appears to relate to the mesh, and possibly morphs - so if G2F gets an update a new .obj could be created.

I had some thoughts about converting DSON figures to non-DSON figures, but my health/wealth combination hasn't allowed me to investigate it as far as I would have liked :(

Cheers,

Cliff

I don't have strong skills with converting Genesis figures or props so I don't know if I want to mess with the meshes. I'd have to do it in Carrara 8 since my Hexagon is a little dated. I don't know if it was ever updated and probably wouldn't run in Win8.1 if it wasn't. Morphs would be too complicated for me to tackle especially trying to export from DS then fix in Poser.

I'm sorry to hear about your health and hope things improve.

• Arcane Von OblivionArcane Von Oblivion Posts: 149
    edited December 1969

its just getting too complex to explain anymore. things work but to get them to work is a process. I basically gave up on these working in poser except for doing dynamic clothes and maybe hair. I am using MDD to go a step farther if I really need to. But a lot of times it is pointless. The good thing is if I want to do animation my skills have gotten to the point I don't need to limit myself to Poser or Daz Studio and can think outside the box anyways. The bad point is where do I actually make money with this (maybe think outside the box ;) )

• The problem, as I see it, is  that the Genesis figures are vastly more versatile than anything Poser has. Well, there's V4, who is still doing well - but many Poser originals have fallen by the wayside. So, since Genesis figures cannot be used in Poser 1 and up ...

What does Poser have - apart from V4 for females, or M4 for males?

La Femme. L'Homme.

Well...

No-one is going to persuade me that these two committee creations can match anything Genesis has. In other words, someone has to create a figure for Poser with great flexibility similar to that of the Genesis figures, instead of whining that Gen figs cannot be imported to Poser. We don't need to import them if we have a decent alternative.

This needs a whole new approach to creating basic figures. We need real people - fat, thin, tall, short - with clothes that conform as well as the Genesis clothes do, and ... lots more. With La Femme we have been short-changed.

There's my 2d (or 2 cents) for what it's worth. Maybe Daz could create something special? I'm not convinced Bondware can.

• For Poser 1 read Poser 11 ...

• Hello I'm new in Poser. Please can someone explain me how I get Genesis charaters into Poser?

• Silizium said:

Hello I'm new in Poser. Please can someone explain me how I get Genesis charaters into Poser?

Which version of Poser? The latest no longer runs the DSON Importer plug-in, which is needed for a standard import of Genesis. The Daz Studio CR2 export will write weight maps, so you could try exporting an OBJ of the zeroed figure (with resdolution set to base) at Poser scale, then export a CR2 using that OBJ as the geometry - that will work for Genesis and Genesis 2, but not Genesis 3 and 8 as they use a different skin-binding model (the way the mesh deforms when bent) that Poser does not have.

• SiliziumSilizium Posts: 3
    edited September 2021

Thanks Richard,

i have poser 11 on mac 10.13. On the DSON site (https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/207531353-DSON-Importer-Plugin-for-Poser) it doesn't mention poser 11 and the link there is death too. Directly speaking, I need some medieval female characters. May someone knows where to get them?

Post edited by Silizium on
  • I believe that if you tell Install Manager that the path is for Poser Pro 2014 the DSON Importer will install and work.