Carrara Challenge #56 - "Let There Be Light."

Comments

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,977

FENgari said:

ed3D - keep up the good work, you're off to a great start!

~   And Thanks  Kindly   ~

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,663

FENgari said:

Bunyip02 - great to receive your encouragement, loving your sunset lens flare, colour scheme and realistic dragon pose. image

Thanks, great to see you back on the forum as well !!!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922

Sci Fi Funk on Youtube said:

MY ENTRY
    “THEY SAID THEY WOULDN’T”

LIGHTS USED.
    Carrara Scene rendered in Octane Render. Main Lights - Ambient light (pathtracing render kernel), plus one light bulb in the center of the room. (The bed is in an alcove). There is a glow light around the spy bot, a tight emitter on the sides (not a lot of bleed), and a stronger emitter shining from the front of the bot. The volumetrics is a semi transparent light cone which came with the Godray model. No Post work.

FEATURES.
    The idea came from using a single light on the crumpled up bedding, which looked great to me. Originally the old guy was just relaxing on his bed, arms behind the head, but overnight I decided on drama!

STORY LINE.
    In the future, trust is a very rare commodity. “They said they wouldn’t” says it all - never trust the system. Mind control is most effective at night.

great render and terrific narrative - a narrative is worth a thousand wors - and as Ub said "Welcome aboard" :)

edited January 2021

@Bunyip02 and @UnifiedBrain - @Diomede et @FENgari

lovely use of that lighting setup all- FENgari - looking particularly aesthetic

@Dartanbeck - terrific tutorial - hall of fame stuff 

Post edited by Headwax on

WendyLuvsCatz said:

for crepuscular rays one can use fog too

I used the DCG plugin one for this

video not an entry, an old example 

choice stuff Wendy - care to give us a few clues as morsels as to how you did that? :)

Mystiarra said:

used a native light set. 
    Wacky Mascara. total cutie
    prop from the kelly lodge.

Title Rock Star

the title made me laugh :) nice to be subtle

UnifiedBrain said:

Lights, Camera, Strangeness! - The Sequel to a Movie Classic

In the original Robot Monster movie, the lead actor was hired because he already possessed a gorilla suit.  That tells you all you need to know.

In this render, the gorilla actually was one - the Millennium Gorilla LE, augmented by Carrara hair.  Love that Carrara hair!

The director and the clapboard holder are both Michael 3.  The guy in the dinosaur suit was David 3.  Space Vixen was played by the original Girl body, with the head from a Genesis 2 figure (Ambie).

Vyusur created the dinosaur (Dino).  A wonderfully versatile model.  I made it look more plastic and dorky than it really is.

Most the the vintage studio equipment came from Nikkelah's Vintage Movie Makers.  The old mic and boom was a Carrara native object.

The weird robot helmet was the real deal, brought into Carrara via a Philemo cutout/blimp.  Philemo's program is so underused.

As for lighting, I used a small light cone, but not anything unusual or adventuresome.  However, lighting was very important.  Several rim lights were included to add drama.

No postwork.

ha ha excellent :) l ove the caption as much as the movie excerpt you posted "Die humans, die!"

a fine piece of humour shows a fine brain :)

ed3D said:

Bunyip02 said:

ed3D said:

~    And  ,   looking good so far  , ~

How's your Carrara work schedule looking ?

~.  alrite ,  so far  .~

ed3d its heartwarming to see something built up from scratch

Stezza said:

heart   I'm loving this thread   heart

that's all I can say  yes

me too sorry to be away work and mum in hospital :( she's out now

DesertDude said:

These images look great everyone!
    I have to come back later to make more specific comments, very behind here. I have two ideas for an image but got side tracked today by attempting a fake Bloom effect. I was watching an interview last night online and was struck by the light bloom from a window from some back lighting and made an attempt in Carrara.

I made a basic room with some shaped windows, then copied the geometry of the windows and broke it out as a separate object and placed it in front of the windows. I textured the object with a Color Gradient in the Glow Channel and used a texture map, slightly blurred, as the Shader. I also gave the same object a Transparency of 80% and a Highlight value of 49% to play with Glare (Scene > Filters > Glare). Video explaining Glare, Aura and Blur from legendary Carrara artist Cripeman here:

Also added Aura to the object under Effects > Aura. And then added another bulb with Glow and Cross Screen effects to emphasize I don't know what I'm doing. smiley

Also added some Fog as per Wendy's suggestion but it's real subtle. First image has Glare, second has it turned off. It is also real subtle, don't know if it adds or detracts.

ah thanks for the blow by blow description - that's extremely helpful 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800

Headwax said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

for crepuscular rays one can use fog too

I used the DCG plugin one for this

video not an entry, an old example 

choice stuff Wendy - care to give us a few clues as morsels as to how you did that? :)

nothing complicated, just plonked the fog into the room and played  with the parameters (it has a few more than original Carrara fog)

Headwax said:

ed3D said:

Bunyip02 said:

ed3D said:

~    And  ,   looking good so far  , ~

How's your Carrara work schedule looking ?

~.  alrite ,  so far  .~

ed3d its heartwarming to see something built up from scratch

~.  alrite ,  then  _  thanks kindly  .~ 

• Thanks for Stezza I found the right plugin (already installed on my system - Doh!)

New work - The last thing I saw...

HOW WAS IT DONE...
    Used the Duplicate On plugin to add vertex-modelled 'arms' to a sphere and shaded to suit. Moved the camera in slightly and rendered a small 160px jpg image (I wanted it to pixelate quite badly) which I used as a background map. Moved the camera out and added two spots with foggy light cones of green and orange. No need for external NPR filter, you can do it in Carrara...

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Headwax said:

ha ha excellent :) l ove the caption as much as the movie excerpt you posted "Die humans, die!"

a fine piece of humour shows a fine brain :)

Thanks, HW!  Glad that your Mom is out of the hospital.

FENgari said:

Thanks for Stezza I found the right plugin (already installed on my system - Doh!)

New work - The last thing I saw...

HOW WAS IT DONE...
    Used the Duplicate On plugin to add vertex-modelled 'arms' to a sphere and shaded to suit. Moved the camera in slightly and rendered a small 160px jpg image (I wanted it to pixelate quite badly) which I used as a background map. Moved the camera out and added two spots with foggy light cones of green and orange. No need for external NPR filter, you can do it in Carrara...

An intriguing render, thanks for the explanation.  Are you going to enter it?

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

Title;  She's a Daydream Believer

Used light set from the Luminance.
    set the sky brightness to 50 percent.  turned on full indirect.  gama correction 2.2
    added several hours to the render
    hair is from the native content hair samples.
    and a new draft of the 8.1 preset.  a few more tests, then i'll share the presets.

ch56 daydream believer.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 55K
    ch56 daydream believer wip.jpg
    1207 x 574 - 128K
  • Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,197

@FENgari - re: storytelling thanks, it's what drives me to make 3d art. HEY - we have something in common then, I took a break from 3D between 2017 until the end of last year. So I am also refinding myself. What becomes apparent to me is that the standard of the 3d models for sale continues to improve. This allows attention to detail - in quality. I have just gone through my entire run time again, adding the new stuff - only to find I can replace older models with newer improved ones. Sometimes taking a step back allows you to re-kindle your first love. I'm full steam ahead on 6 additional film scripts now, all with 3d scenes made possible thanks to the artists on Daz 3D and similar sites. Happy days. 

• Sounds like you're having a ball Sci Fi Funk on Youtube! I don't have as much time on my hands to truly indulge myself, so I look forward to seeing what others are doing and get inspiration whenever I can...

edited January 2021

title:  Lex Luthor  tee hee

used another of the Luminance presets.

a feeble attempt at a skin shader

Michael 8.1 on the g8.1 preset. 

wip of the skin shader.  put the normal map in the bump channel.  ao map in the highlight channel.  sssmap in sss channel

couldnt guess where the r map goes.

Lex Luthor.png
    1280 x 1474 - 608K
    totallysuck skin shader.JPG
    1066 x 590 - 113K
    Post edited by Mistara on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800

Reflection?

i never understood putting reflection on skin ??

• Risky Business. My third entry into this thread. Not had much chance to be near the pc wih work commitments but yesterday managed to buy Stonemasons Streets of Steampunk at a bargain price so had to use it. Ive got a fake GI set up, a spotlight above for the lightrays, bulbs and spots with lense flare for the car and two volumetric clouds to add atmosphere. smiley

Risky Business.png
    2880 x 1620 - 4M

@Headwax (late reply) - thank you for your welcome.

Your 4 x entries at the start of the thread will be among the top contenders I am sure. Your use of the film noir technique is very good with the last of the pictures the strongest (for my taste), also the sky and stretched lens in picture 3 makes that picture a cut above - the lens (I'm guessing, or are some elements "bent" for effect?) is being used to give the picture a sense of speed . Great stuff indeed.

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited February 2021

"Watching the Sunset"

Octane render, no postwork. Vlad was used as starring.

Watching_the_sunset.jpg
    1500 x 1500 - 2M
    Screenshot 01-19-2021 19.54.01.png
    1513 x 1107 - 1M
    Post edited by Vyusur on

2ND ENTRY - Currently a WIP.

I've wondered in the past what that old set called "The Pit" would look like if you ripped out the middle, and extended the height, plus gave it some dramatic lighting. 

I'm also pleased with the camera angle I've found. I tiltled the Y axis by 1 degree which will make more sense when I add the characters. Other light notes - I played with the sky setting to whiten it, and added extra exposure to allow a little light to creep into the indirectly lit lower section. The blue emitter lights (It's an Octane render) add just a touch more light and give it that blue rinse. The only light making it to the foreground is a yellow emitter with a decent amount of bloom, glow, and glare - so thats post processing - although it's all one pass within Octane. (No layering). Finally only 1200 samples - so the final piece should allow more light in below, but not much more.

Tomorrow then - the characters and hence - the drama! 

The pit - Let there be light WIP.jpg
    1980 x 1080 - 242K
    edited January 2021

Sci Fi Funk on Youtube said:

@Headwax (late reply) - thank you for your welcome.

Your 4 x entries at the start of the thread will be among the top contenders I am sure. Your use of the film noir technique is very good with the last of the pictures the strongest (for my taste), also the sky and stretched lens in picture 3 makes that picture a cut above - the lens (I'm guessing, or are some elements "bent" for effect?) is being used to give the picture a sense of speed . Great stuff indeed.

Those aren't entries.  They are past examples HW provided to illustrate ways in which lighting could be used in the Challenge.

Pit looks good so far!

Misty, thanks for once again working to get the new characters into Carrara. yes

Freelight, great noir-style mood, happy you like to post big images. :)

Vyusur, terrific reflections and lens flare.  Was the ocean and sky an HDRI?

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited January 2021

Keep up the great work everyone.  Here is another classic cinematic effect.

Spotlight aimed at white cube.  Used spline modeler to make the crude logo to cast the shadow.  Enabled light cone for the spotlight;

Hopefully more time to comment in a few days or so.

batman lights test 1.jpg
    640 x 480 - 10K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,663

FENgari - another awesome render, love the red tips on the hairs

Misty - excellent work on the Presets, will definately be using them.

Freelight - love the atmosphere in your new render

Vyusur - superb composition in watching the sunset !

Sci Fi Funk - looking forward to the drama being added....

Diomede - Holy Batman !!!

edited January 2021

~  And   more   WIPs

2HIBERNATION 4B.png
    1920 x 1037 - 647K
    2ONE_BOT_BLDR 2.png
    1920 x 1001 - 204K
    Post edited by ed3D on
    edited January 2021

@UnifiedBrain - Ah ok. Thanks for letting me know about the 4 entries. re: pit - thanks - working on the background characters today.

@Diomede - That spotlight is working well with the cone and join to the projected image.

@ed3D - I'll be interested to see what you have in store with the lighting for this laying in bed image. Composition coming along nicely.

Post edited by Sci Fi Funk on