Carrara Challenge #56 - "Let There Be Light."

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,615
    edited January 2021

Stezza said:

great start @Bunyip02 or anyone else who may know

maybe you can help me, with your vast library of links you keep.. Do you remember a post made a long while ago bout Studio Lights with the file attached to the post?

around the time or just before  Philemo made his light setup.. I can't find it and I can't remember who posted it.. just want to credit them for my challenge entry if I can.. yes

I think the post would of been around Jan2019 ~ that's the date of the car file I downloaded wink

I can't find the Forum post, but in my backup folder where I store my downloads I have two files that might be the candidate:-

Diomede Light Rig.zip - Test 3 Point Indirect Lighting Gamma 22.car - 11/01/2019

Vyusur Point Lighting 2.zip - Test 3 Point Lighting2.car - 12/01/2019

Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,790

thanks for checking... nope those aren't the ones

the scene setup looks like this..

dome studio lights.jpg
    1348 x 805 - 90K

Stezza said:

Hello Stezza, had another look and a browse of the forums but unfortunately I could not find anything similar. Hopefully someone else will recognise it !!

• Steampunk GI.  Character lighting attempt.  My second entry in this challenge which uses 400 distant lights set to 1 with a light grey tint and 48 spots set to 1 with a light blue tint for the fake global illumination. A 3 point lighting set up set to brightenand colour the figure and a single camera facing spot for a lense flare. Not a high resolution texture on the model, just trying to get the shadows to pop as much as possible.smiley

Steampunk GI1.png
    3200 x 3200 - 2M
    edited January 2021

Bunyip02 said:

Stezza said:

Hello Stezza, had another look and a browse of the forums but unfortunately I could not find anything similar. Hopefully someone else will recognise it !!

we should have an official link collector.. lol

oh well, we tried, maybe someone will remember who it was yes 

Title ~ Some Old Fella

modelled the cap, used Carrara hair as well as Mec4d beard for M5

used an unknown lighting setup that is available in a post somewhere here in the Carrara board ( but can't find it ) and a HDRI for the background

and used a model from ShareCG

some fellaWiP.JPG
    1503 x 977 - 182K
    Some old fella.png
    800 x 600 - 793K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922

Bunyip02 said:

Humpbacks

Used a Spot light with a caustic gel for this one. Created the caustic gel using Filter Forge.

superb effect, great use of filter forge ! is that filter under caustics??

Bunyip02 said:

Wish Upon A Star

Used Glow channel in the shaders (Sun & Bridge instruments) and a shape light for this one.

Was done as a two part render, first render of the sun which was needed for the Bridge Viewscreen shader, then a render of the Bridge setting.

Sun WIP, used Background Nebula image for effect.

Sun render

Scene WIP. Sun on the LHS, Bridge on the RHS

Glow WIP, Texture map copied to the Glow Channel for both the Sun and Bridge instruments

wow Bunyip02 that's an amzing effect! Care to give us a brief walkthrough?

edited January 2021

Freelight said:

Downtown Abduction. (The felines offering to its Overlords)  215 lights using a fake global illumination, multiple glow shaders, retanguler shape lights and gel cones. Cheers for looking smiley

that's a classic work @Freelight, lots going on and eggcelent use of Carrara lighting. Very dramatic and seethes with narrative

\thanks for the look at the lighting too - really works well in this scene

Post edited by Headwax on

Stezza said:

Bunyip02 said:

Stezza said:

we should have an official link collector.. lol

oh well, we tried, maybe someone will remember who it was yes 

Title ~ Some Old Fella

modelled the cap, used Carrara hair as well as Mec4d beard for M5

used an unknown lighting setup that is available in a post somewhere here in the Carrara board ( but can't find it ) and a HDRI for the background

and used a model from ShareCG

classic Davinci Stezza, you certainly habe a knacl with getting a character right

Freelight said:

Steampunk GI.  Character lighting attempt.  My second entry in this challenge which uses 400 distant lights set to 1 with a light grey tint and 48 spots set to 1 with a light blue tint for the fake global illumination. A 3 point lighting set up set to brightenand colour the figure and a single camera facing spot for a lense flare. Not a high resolution texture on the model, just trying to get the shadows to pop as much as possible.smiley

very smooth lighting freelight, not a photon out of place :)

edited January 2021

Headwax said:

Bunyip02 said:

Humpbacks

Used a Spot light with a caustic gel for this one. Created the caustic gel using Filter Forge.

superb effect, great use of filter forge ! is that filter under caustics??

Thanks ! Textures/Misc/Caustics by blenderman

CC56 Humpbacks 1 WIP Caustics.png
    1535 x 1026 - 807K
  • @Headwax Thanks for the comments. That kind of lighting set up is great for exterior scenes and well worth for anyone to play around with. Even with 400 plus lights it's still quicker than clicking on global illumination and indirect lighting in the render room and you have full control over the level of shadows and the colour of the lights. smiley

edited January 2021

Headwax said:

Bunyip02 said:

Sun WIP, used Background Nebula image for effect.

Sun render

wow Bunyip02 that's an amzing effect! Care to give us a brief walkthrough?

Thanks ! Updated the WIP

1. Used a Sun that comes with a Halo effect - HFS Space System by DarioFish - Renderosity

2. Clicked on Scene to get the Effects options

3. Clicked on Backdrop

4. Clicked on Map

5. Loaded the image file I had downloaded - Most Detailed Image of the Crab Nebula - https://images-assets.nasa.gov/image/PIA03606/PIA03606~large.jpg

6. In the Render room adjusted the render size.

CC56 Sun 1 WIPb.png
    2272 x 1036 - 841K
  • @Stezza A very thoughtful and knowing look to the old man smiley

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited January 2021

Help

Find my WIP file attached as a zip.  I removed Dimension Theory's HDR so you must use your own.

I am trying to follow along with the amazing Mark Bremmer's tutorial linked by Headwax here.  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/6393966/#Comment_6393966

Following his tutorial I created a box with a transparency shader.  I set my camera outside the box.  I blocked out some simple primitives to test light coming through a window on the left.  In addition to some light coming from the open front, light should come through the window on the left to create the effect.  In the room, I placed a sphere and ground plane.

- I am not seeing the HDRI through my 'window.'

- I am not getting a light cone if I just use the HDR.

- I am getting splotchy artifacts with my lighting if I use a spotlight.

I have tried Dimension Theories HDRs from Urban Storm and Monterey.

zip
    zip
    cc car file no hdr.zip
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

And here are some screenshots to illustrate my settings and results.

cc01 - showing the enclosed box which is the basis of Mark's tutorial.

cc02 - box environment shader settings with 100% transparency and adjusted absorption and attenuation to get effect

cc03 - scene setup confirming camera is outside box, box is transparent, cubes arranged to create a window, simple plane and sphere for tests

cc04 - test scene lighting uses an HDR from Dimension Theory, ambient=0

cc05 - confirm spotlight = 0

cc06 - render settings made sure global illumination to use HDR

cc07 - test render - can't see HDR through the window, no cone effect through the window, there is some light so the HDR is doing something

cc08 - second test set spot light to 100

cc09 - spotlight get effect bot very splotchy

cc01 box environment.jpg
    1888 x 901 - 142K
    cc02 box environment shader.jpg
    971 x 750 - 128K
    cc03 test scene.jpg
    1608 x 816 - 81K
    cc04 test scene lighting.jpg
    369 x 678 - 48K
    cc05 spot at zero.jpg
    1584 x 888 - 119K
    cc06 render settings.jpg
    441 x 1019 - 99K
    cc07 render no spot use hdr only.jpg
    640 x 480 - 8K
    cc08 spot set to 100.jpg
    1582 x 720 - 87K
    cc09 splotchy spotlihjy.jpg
    640 x 480 - 13K
    edited January 2021

hi Bunyip02, thans for those explications :) 

thanks for showing that Ted , I wonder if @MarkBremmer can shed some light ?

havent had a chance to play with his method yet

Post edited by Headwax on

Stezza said:

hi Stezza it's not by GKDantas ??? maybe you won them?

Freelight - nice Girl render

Stezza - great Da Vinci work, love the helicopter

Diomede - had a look at your scene and am getting the same issues as you. Will explore further if I have any luck will let you know !!!

edited January 2021

Dragon at sunset

Lens flare this time around.

CC56 Dragon 1 WIP.png
    2278 x 1039 - 992K
    CC56 Dragon 1b.png
    1600 x 1200 - 1M
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited February 2021

I also tried to use Mark Bremmer's method awhile ago. Now I rebuilt my scene with some tweaks.

Here is the result:

I used one distant light, one AG light, no GI, no postwork. Native engine. Soft shadows turned on.

Ministry_lights.jpg
    1200 x 840 - 1M
    Screenshot 02-16-2021 22.42.00.png
    1692 x 1176 - 3M
    Post edited by Vyusur on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

last 3 days been trying to remember name of this song  doh

Vyusur said:

I also tried to use Mark Bremmer's method awhile ago. Now I rebuilt my scene with some tweaks.

Here is the result:

I used one distant light, one AG light, no GI, no postwork. Native engine. Soft shadows turned on.

my fav colour.... blueish wink

great atmosphere and use of soft shadows ~ AWESOME!

yes 

Bunyip02 said:

Dragon at sunset

Lens flare this time around.

great use of the light set... I'd hit the dragon with a separate rim light to define him/her .... enlightened

edited January 2021

Alley Cat & friend

Used @vyusur Catoon which I pulled some polygons and used my Carrara hair for his whiskers & fur.. I modelled in Carrara the Bunny Hopper and boned him!, carrot, garbage bin and lantern along with Catoon's outfit and hat.

Used Darts starry night, a tube light then converted to an x Light!, a couple of bulb lights with only selected models chosen, the default light with selected models chosen, Carrara's moonlight and used The Last Stand 3DL found here at Daz3d store.

Rendered with no post work apart from signature. smiley 

alleycat_WiP.jpg
    1505 x 804 - 275K
    Alley Cat.png
    800 x 600 - 505K
    Post edited by Stezza on

Vyusur said:

Here is the result:

Lovely Vyusur !!

Stezza said:

Alley Cat & friend

Used @vyusur Catoon which I pulled some polygons and used my Carrara hair for his whiskers & fur.. I modelled in Carrara the Bunny Hopper and boned him!, carrot, garbage bin and lantern along with Catoon's outfit and hat.

Used Darts starry night, a tube light then converted to an x Light!, a couple of bulb lights with only selected models chosen, the default light with selected models chosen, Carrara's moonlight and used The Last Stand 3DL found here at Daz3d store.

Rendered with no post work apart from signature. smiley 

Very nice Stezza !!

edited January 2021

Stezza said:

great use of the light set... I'd hit the dragon with a separate rim light to define him/her .... enlightened

Thanks for the feedback. Tried using a Spotlight and a Bulb to get a classic Rim light look to the Dragon, regardless of position I could not get the effect I was after. Had a quick reread of Jeremy Birn's Digital Lighting & Rendering and the use of Kick lights struck me as what I was after, so positioned a Spottie in a Kick position and hey presto I was happy with the result, Dragon looked more like a 3D object.

CC56 Dragon 1 WIP b.png
    2280 x 1035 - 429K
    CC56 Dragon 1d.png
    1600 x 1200 - 1M

Stezza said:

Vyusur said:

Here is the result:

my fav colour.... blueish wink

great atmosphere and use of soft shadows ~ AWESOME!

yes 

Thank you very much!

Bunyip02 said:

Vyusur said:

Here is the result:

Lovely Vyusur !!

Thanks a lot!