Does Daz3D shop allow Commercial Use Of Overlays/PNGs?

Hello, 

As both a 3D modeller and a coverartist I have recently been informed that selling png/overlay (2D images with transparent background) , for example of V4 or G3 dressed up in different outfits, hair and characters comes in contradiction with the 3D modellers' rights. You have to have the direct permission from the 3D artists to use the character, the hair, the outfits etc. Or even for the interior scenes as backgrounds, you have to create your own composition in order to be able to sell it as a 2D background. 

I have tried to contact DAZ3D to ask if they allow their figures for example like V4 or Genesis to be used as a basic figure for this reason, if someone makes his own content for them or has the direct permission from the vendors of the clothes, skin etc, but I have not received any answer. Is there anyone here who can answer to responsibly? 

Thank you very much. 

Comments

• ZilvergrafixZilvergrafix Posts: 1,385

2D is yours and you can sell to anyone.

geometry in any way to another is prohibited until you pay an interactive license of any asset included (figure, textures, hair)

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,295
    edited January 2021

Yup he's right, any renders or animations you create, no matter the content in said images and animation, are your's by right.

Post edited by Faeryl Womyn on
  • watchdog79watchdog79 Posts: 1,026

Read the licence infornation.

https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/207532343-What-can-I-use-Daz-3D-figures-for-legally-

https://www.daz3d.com/interactive-license-info

https://www.daz3d.com/eula/

Especially this:

Terms of Use. Two Dimensional Works. Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, User may (i) access, use, copy and modify the Content in the creation and presentation of two-dimensional animations and renderings, (ii) incorporate two dimensional images (including two dimensional images that simulate motion of three dimensional objects) derived by User from the Content in User's other works, and (iii) publish, market, distribute, transfer, sell or sublicense User's two-dimensional animations, renderings and other works; provided that User may not in any case publish, market, distribute, transfer, sell or sublicense any renderings, animations, software applications, data or any other product from which any Content, or any part thereof, or any substantially similar version of the Content can be separately exported, extracted or de-compiled into any re-distributable form or format.

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,206

Watchdog really laid it on the line!  Good work.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,015
    edited January 2021

There are several artists using products for coverart. 2D renders, yours to use basically as you please. What the fancy talk translates out to [in my non-legal mind] is not to render a skin texture image for example on a flat surface such that somebody could take that image and use it as a texture for their model.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • One thing. A few years back Renderosity put a policy in place that they won't sell background images that are just renders of a single set. IDK if they still have this policy. But basically it was so we don't just render a bunch of images of, say, one of Stonemason's products and sell them as a background product that competes with the original. If that makes sense. 

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,348

Yes, as butterflyfish says, just selling straight HDRIs or backdrop cards rendered from a single unmodified set, while technically within EULA, is considered poor form and unlikely to be accepted as a product by any of the major stores.

However, as far as rendering transmapped cards of pre-clothed/posed characters to use as background filler, that's essentially what "Billboard" products do. The kind of thing that people like Riversoft are putting out is a good yardstick for the kind of quality and scale that you have to meet in order to be particularly competive.

• CreatorCreator Posts: 3

Thank you all for your responses.
    It seems that DAZ allow this use. And since there is no specification for the opposite in the license, the  word ''renderings'' includes this as well.