SereneNight’s Sci-Fi Fun Thread 3

Welcome 2021. Here's the new thread.

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Congrats my friend!  :)  Great to see another one!

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552

Novica said:

Congrats my friend!  :)  Great to see another one!

aww thanks! =-)

edited January 2021

Next up, since it is indeed on sale, Is Raw's synthoid for Genesis 8 Male. Yes, there is somewhat of a resemblance to Westworld's clone shapes, but you can mix it up with coloration and glowing eyes. There is also a female synthoid, but I passed. I have enough female gynoids. I found this model is quite nice, renders up well, and has some definition so it doesn't just look like a suit of bio armor. There are several colors, a shell, and glowing eyes to spice things up. I also really like its 'pads' on the fingers. Nice Touch.

Sythoid.png
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
    Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited January 2021

And my second purchase from RawArt's birthday sale is Vampyre for Genesis 8 Male. He also ooks good to me and includes options that you might expect: different eye colors, the teeth, skin, hair and nail options. And an alternate face. Also includes gens. 

vamp.png
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

Happy New Year!

That alien and alien dog render by Nemesis & your Owen waiting for Boyd with New Year's champaign was a good way to finish the last thread.

Personally, I've tried my own Art Studio thread and I'm not productive enough to use such a thread. I'm waiting for the Gallery to come back as I like to document the products I use in a render. I hope they add the ability to upload videos, it can be enabled via YouTube, Vimeo, & are there others? link though,  to offload the bandwidth and censorship problems to those bigger businesses that earn advertising revenue from such videos. 

I've bought RawArt's Humpty Dumpty and want to learn to get proficient with MD, Blender, and DAZ Studio this year so I can model my own Mother Goose scenes based on a 100 year old Mother Goose Nursery Rhyme book my mom read to me as a child. Odd, the words & drawing in those books are still so interesting to me but they are very wierd even all these decades later. laugh

• WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893

Happy 2021, and congratulations on thread number three! 

Yeah! Glad to see people are happ see a repeat of the thread.

edited January 2021

In case anyone was curious, the new Aeon Soul's Everyday 2 Daily poses, kinda, sorta work on the guys.  This reprises the Everyday 2 Undress poses that I bought a while back. All you do is fit the outfit  G8F top and those capris to your guy, and then dial the 'pose' into the clothing.

The thing I don't like is  I have multiple sets of this capri pant set already... And I get to buy it again multiple times? Weird. I now think I've bought it...3-4 times. 

Each number now has at least 4 poses numbered the same numbers. So you get 4 number 10 poses for example for the same shirt. Which makes it rather confusing. I wish the numbers were unique and not repeated. Still, there is only 4 to choose from, so you can dial in each to see which one works

Undress3.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 812K

Interesting. I think I would've preferred more poses in the sets to buying the outfit multiple times. But I can understand that being convenient to those who only want one of the three volumes.

edited January 2021

Okay, next up we try Lyone number 6. This is a rather classic leather biker look, and I think it works pretty well. It has a number of color options, and there is a boot expansion. The hat is just a smidge.... "Tall" in my opinion. I wish it was just a bit less poofy. I am also not sure why the gloves are a different leather  and texture than the rest of the outfit. Nevertheless... I like it, it is rigged well and fits Owen well. Each of the dangling pieces can be moved, and you can remove the decorations on the coat if you desire. 

Leather.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,808

Serene Night said:

Okay, next up we try Lyone number 6. This is a rather classic leather biker look, and I think it works pretty well. It has a number of color options, and there is a boot expansion. The hat is just a smidge.... "Tall" in my opinion. I wish it was just a bit less poofy. I am also not sure why the gloves are a different leather  and texture than the rest of the outfit. Nevertheless... I like it, it is rigged well and fits Owen well. Each of the dangling pieces can be moved, and you can remove the decorations on the coat if you desire. 

I didn't realize that the outfit was as versatile as it is. That said, I'm not entirely sure that I'd do much with it, but it's something to consider.

edited January 2021

I think the outfit once deprived of the 'details' that make it resemble something Tom O'Finland might draw,  the suit makes a good base for chauffeur, Nazi-ish enemy soldier, dystopian cop or military officer etc. The boots from the "Biker Outfit" look kind of good with this set in particular.

edited January 2021

Roderick Goodby is Silas Kelly (Owen's Grandfather's), Partner, best friend and protector.  This is NOT his original body.

At some point Roddy makes a return. I am torn, between the resistance, finally locating his brain, and placing it in a clone body, or some kind soul recovering and incarnating him by mistake. In either case, the brain or Roddy gets put into a blank, and Roddy is back, probably with a case of temporary amnesia. 

It probably takes a while, but he recalls the events of his past, and goes looking for answers. This gums up the works slightly for Silas. Eventually Roddy joins the reistance. He gives up making androids and reconciles himself to the loss of his wife and daughter, who have moved on with their lives.

Goodby3.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 510K

Didn't Goodby used to be the sort of person the resistance would sincerely dislike? (I remember he had a change of heart, but it was very late, is that right?)

Any chance you might do a big cast list post of who's who and how they're connected?

Roddy Goodby and Silas were raised in the same orphanage in Ireland. Roddy is older than Silas by a few years, but has always been protective of Silas, who is younger and somewhat idealistic. Roddy is more worldly. He also runs the business, whereas Silas is the creative young genius. Of the two both are brilliant, but Silas is more of a super genius.

Roddy and Silas dreamed of making bots for medical use and to make the helpful type of bots to make the lives of average poor people easier, both having grown up in abject poverty.  Goodby dreams of making Goodby and Kelly a household name. To that end, Roddy designs Archie (Archimedes), who despite the name is a female Medical/Surgical bot.  

Silas designs all the other bots who are largely utilitarian, but also working on an animal series, of support animals of which Bitty is one. 

The boys pin their hopes on Archimedes success, as she is clearly a superior bot and quite lifelike, but Goodby & Kelly Electronics does not win the contract for political reasons. Roddy is devastated, and so is Silas. They spent a lot of money debuting Archimedes, and now they have lost it all. Much to the delight of their competition.

The rejection also affects them personally, as both Roddy and Silas are married, and Roddy's wife is ill with a congenital heart defect.

Feeling pressure, Goodby decides to accept a military contract to design a military robot. The boys argue about this as this goes against their purpose to help lift people out of poverty, but They need the money, and Goodby rationalizes with the money, they can produce Archimedes on their own and distribute copies freely… without a contract. To that end.  He clones Archimedes to make Spartacus. Things go well with Spartacus and Roddy is quite happy with him. He even adds some new features, such as stealth technology.

Unfortunately, the new code when it arrives does not integrate with Spartacus’s chipset.

vwrangler said:

Didn't Goodby used to be the sort of person the resistance would sincerely dislike? (I remember he had a change of heart, but it was very late, is that right?)

Any chance you might do a big cast list post of who's who and how they're connected?

Original Goodby was a young entrepreneur. Goodby-bot on the other hand is a very scary creation. 

I will definitely come up with the cast list. It will help flesh out aspects of the plot line.

vwrangler said:

Serene Night said:

Original Goodby was a young entrepreneur. Goodby-bot on the other hand is a very scary creation. 

I will definitely come up with the cast list. It will help flesh out aspects of the plot line.

Cool!

And it turns out that Lyone outfit is on sale this week, as well.

There appears to be a texture expansion as well. I think I only like black though.

edited January 2021

Okay, so next up, I bought the Cliff Hotel with pool. It has 4 levels, but although it is supposed to be a hotel, each level only seems to have balcony chairs. The entire thing is surrounded by a cliff face, and its most prominent feature is a clear glass pool jutting out over the desert.

It is actually just one piece.

To hide parts you really have to change the opacity. I just opted to use a section plane node on the non-visible sections. The cliff itself, was sort of bitmapped, so I replaced it with a rock texture, and there is nothing you can do about the water level of the pool, unless you wish to make it invisible and add your own plane. The water is so high, I kept feeling sorry for anyone below once Owen jumped in. The water is likely to spill over.

Regardless, I like it.I think the pool in particular would make some interesting renders. Its got glass walls and bottom.

Cliff3.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 2M
    edited January 2021

ColorGaleria released this figure: Hunky Claus, as sort of a 'hot Santa Claus figure.' Or perhaps he's just a hunk named Claus. Whether or not you are into hot looking Santa figures, especially after the holidays, you may still want to check this fellow out. First, he includes his own shorts. They are dForce, but I found they fit well without it. Avoid bulge morphs as the shorts get weird bulges with them.

Claus includes his own skin, a very handy set of lie freckled morphs. Makeup (I don't use guy makeup), and brows and beard. I replaced the brows. They looked a bit... Perpetually surpised. I did use the lie freckles. They are much bigger on the body than the face.

The lie options apply to other figures as well. So you can use these on your favorite guy. There are freckles for both the face and bod. I left the facial ones off. 

Overall, I like him. His skin renders  nicely. I did replace the brows with M8's so these aren't his default brows. 

Hunky.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 866K

I did wonder if you were going to get Claus. I thought about it, but I'm having to kick so many guys off the island (or out of the data folder) to manage loading time that I'm not buying a huge number of guys now.

edited January 2021

I totally feel your pain. I have kicked 90 percent of the guys off the island already as well, but so many have rejoined, that I'm going to have to perform a purge. I should mention that I have 299 male figures installed at present at least. 

But in this case, I sort of like his extras. 

The hard thing for me to purge is expressions. Every bundle, pose set, etc, loads a ton of morph expressions.

edited January 2021

After seeing that Cadbury Creme Egg commercial, I had to try doing the egg in the mouth thing, using DAZ store's Easter Accessories pack. I think it turned out pretty well. To get the cream center I used Ron's Slime, with, a food based layer style. Mine is more of a caramel egg, the white nougat was hard to see.

ChocolateEgg.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 2M

Serene Night said:

After seeing that Cadbury Creme Egg commercial, I had to try doing the egg in the mouth thing, using DAZ store's Easter Accessories pack. I think it turned out pretty well. To get the cream center I used Ron's Slime, with, a food based layer style. Mine is more of a caramel egg, the white nougat was hard to see.

I don't think I've seen the commercial you're talking about. Sounds like it would be fun to try, though.

Serene Night said:

I totally feel your pain. I have kicked 90 percent of the guys off the island already as well, but so many have rejoined, that I'm going to have to perform a purge. I should mention that I have 299 male figures installed at present at least. 

But in this case, I sort of like his extras. 

The hard thing for me to purge is expressions. Every bundle, pose set, etc, loads a ton of morph expressions.

Expressions I feel like I can be fairly heartless with, depending on what they are. The tricky ones for me are the ones that are designed for specific characters; in general they really do look a bit better on those characters -- or ones that you create combining those characters -- than the more general ones, but at the same time, I tend to use the more general ones more frequently.

All that said ... I think I'm going to be getting the new dwarf. (Also: what is it with all the little people lately? Not that it's bad, just unusual that we've had something like at least one a month after having none at all for most of G8.)

edited January 2021

If you google Cadbury commercial it is the first hit. There are some people up in arms about the ad for featuring a gay couple sharing the egg.

Expressions are hit or miss for me. Since both Owen and Boyd have mouths that are higher placed than the store male base figures (in my opinion, michael 8 has a weirdly low mouth) typical expressions designed for g8 men tend to look really odd. Also owen and Boyd have larger mouths, than typical g8s. I prefer both to the thin kinda lipped men that seem popular. But this preference makes those expressions often look really exagerated on the boys.

I find it easier most time to simply make my own expressions and save them as poses. I prefer not to bog down my hard drive with billions of unwanted dial expressions, but some of them I do like! I wish there were a way to manage and purge them from within studio without having to root them out one by one in the data folder.

I suspect the store is releasing the remains of original g8 products pending the release of g81. The influx of little people and incomplete pro bundles may just mean they are ready for the new figures to drop and releasing the last of the old inventory.  Notice we haven't gotten real pro bundles dropping yet in January, if that's even still a thing.

I am hoping to see some new male content released at daz store. It has been very dry this January and December.

edited January 2021

Serene Night said:

I suspect the store is releasing the remains of original g8 products pending the release of g81. The influx of little people and incomplete pro bundles may just mean they are ready for the new figures to drop and releasing the last of the old inventory.  Notice we haven't gotten real pro bundles dropping yet in January, if that's even still a thing.

That happened last January as well. There was an eight-week deluge of old-style pro/starter bundles, and then a month long gap between Tristan 8, on Christmas Day, and CJ 8 on January 22. I don't remmber them doing these weird little minibundles back then, so that may be how they're filling time before Genesis 8.1, or whatever they're calling it.

I'd be really happy if they could figure out a way to manage morph loading better. Maybe not all the way back to the INJ/REM stuff with V4M4, but some easy way to tell Studio, "Load these morphs all the time, load these other ones only when I ask."

If you google Cadbury commercial it is the first hit. There are some people up in arms about the ad for featuring a gay couple sharing the egg.

I looked it up as you said. That's such a tiny part of the whole ad, it's kind of remarkable that it's gotten that sort of attention. (Honestly, I'd be more repulsed by the fact that Cadbury is calling this the "Golden Goobilee of the Creme Egg." I mean ... EW.)

Post edited by vwrangler on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,024

vwrangler said:

That's such a tiny part of the whole ad, it's kind of remarkable that it's gotten that sort of attention.

Is it, though?

edited January 2021

I thought the advert  was kind of cute. The time lapsed one of the guy aging 50 years, was good. The sharers was cute. I had seen a truncated version before, but the idea they are on one of those spinny things made it even cooler. Do we have one of those in the store? The child's spinning playground toy?

The one that repulsed me was the dippers who were sticking their fingers into the eggs. LOL.

At any ratee, I was intrigued by the idea of sharing the egg, and that proved to be a challenging pose concept. I didn't put the egg as far in the mouth as the advert had it. I have been intrigued with the idea of doing poses involving food and have eben thinking about it.