December 2020 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Open Render Challenge

L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

New User's Challenge - December 2020

Sponsored by DAZ 3D

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around for a little bit but feel you could benefit from some feedback or instruction? Have you been around awhile and would like to help other members start their creative journey? Well then come and join the fun as we host our newest render challenge.

New this year, we are breaking down each month into 2 different challenges. A Beginner Challenge and then also an Intermediate Challenge.

So which "Challenge" should you choose?

Follow the Beginner Challenge if you are:

• New to the New User Challenges
  • New to Daz Studio
  • Newer to 3D Rendering in General

Follow the Intermediate Challenge if you have:

• Participated in the New User Challenge for awhile
  • Know the basics of Daz Studio and would like to learn more in depth topics
  • Been using 3D Rendering Applications for awhile and feel comfortable with learning Intermediate Topics

"Open Render Challenge"

The Open Render Challenge is also referred to as a "free" month, where you can concentrate on using and combining the skills you learned in the past few challenges. Please be sure to mention in which Open Render Challenge (Beginner or Intermediate) you wish to enter into when you add your image to the thread. 

If you would like to review the previous topics and information you can find the topics/threads here:

Beginner/IntermediateComposition and Instancing, & Duplication
Beginner/IntermediateLighting and Light Effects
Beginner/IntermediatePosing and Posing II
Beginner/IntermediateUsing Props and Push Modifiers/Deformers
Beginner/IntermediateScenes, Landscapes, and Working Modularly
Beginner/IntermediatePortrait Rendering and LIE
Beginner/IntermediateDepth of Field and Canvases
Beginner/IntermediateAtmosphere and Ghosts & Special Effects
Beginner/IntermediateMaterials and Next Level Kitbashing

Please Note: Due to the store changeover, the Galleries are not yet back up. This means some of the images in the links above will not display, as entrants used Gallery links rather than attaching their images.

I will be checking in as will the rest of the Community Volunteers to try and help with anything you all may need.
For a list of the current challenge rules, please see this thread: Challenge Rules

Closing Date: December 31st, 2020

Post edited by L'Adair on

Comments

• Luftsturmregiment40Luftsturmregiment40 Posts: 328
    edited December 2020

not an entry!

some hexagonal spherical models if you don't know what to put into your scene

(they are very large in size!)

model set 01

model set 02

Cinema 4D R19 +

02.PNG
    1019 x 980 - 767K
    Post edited by Luftsturmregiment40 on
  • Alias52Alias52 Posts: 283

Thanks! I am sure they will be very useful at some point. Can never have too many resources!

• no noseno nose Posts: 297
    edited December 2020

Guess that i'll be the first one to throw his hat in, whatever that's worth.

I wanted to make a scene that's based on one color, and picked red because it's probs my favorite color. Not sure where I got the idea from, but it works. Right now I mainly want to make the river / clothing look more similiar, and look at more possible hairs to use, not to mention figure out DOF once and for all.

Harsh and unfair critisism welcome

1.jpg
    667 x 500 - 143K
    Post edited by no nose on
  • Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,161
    edited December 2020

Here's my start for the month if I can get it to upload. Edit-Don't know what's going on, but I tried to upload from my laptop and my phone but it doesn't seem to be working. Guess I'll try again after work if I remember.

Post edited by Shinji Ikari 9th on
  • Here we go. Don't know what was going on earlier, but here's my start for the month.

dec2020a.png
    444 x 720 - 620K

Well I decided to swap out the hair and change the pose a bit, which while I do think looks better did require me to mess with camera settings a bit, which i'm not sure how I feel about tvh

2.jpg
    667 x 500 - 152K
  • Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,161
    edited December 2020

Version B here. Did some texture work, adjustments to the guys pose, and tweaked the lighting to strengthen the shadow on the wall from the creature just outside of the frame. Edit - changed the render demintions as well

dec2020b.png
    800 x 1294 - 2M
    Post edited by Shinji Ikari 9th on
  • aprilshowers2065aprilshowers2065 Posts: 699
    edited December 2020

Okay, first shot for this month and first time trying out the bloom filter, so I'd appreciate any advice/criticism.

Bring the Storm.png
    1600 x 1600 - 3M
    Post edited by aprilshowers2065 on
  • no entry

another model for you 

a holographic planet thing

download holographic planet (native Cinema 4D and OBJ)

Cy4d_epicRED_0000.png
    2000 x 844 - 3M
  • "Merry Christmas to all".

DAZ Studio, with postwork in Affinity Photo and fotosketcher.

Santa and Sleigh (02a).jpg
    1680 x 1260 - 293K
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780

Just to mention it here as well as some might have missed the notice, the announcement of spotlight images for November is in a separate thread, since I've got a lot of trouble with the November challenge thread. Here is the link: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/456861/november-2020-winners-spotlight-daz-3d-new-user-challenge-materials-and-next-level-kitbashing#latest

For the time being probably try to avoid quoting in the forums, that seems to be the (reported and being worked on) trouble the thread causes

• TirickTirick Posts: 225
    edited December 2020

Party Crashers

Intermediate Challenge

I have tried to apply a fair few of the lessons I've learned in the last 4 months here to this shot. Besides the standard DoF and fog settings, I built my own billboard models using canvasses (particularly the Alpha, Specular and Normals), applied an Iray Decal to the ship, mud and tears to the dress and converted her shoes to props. The chest armour is also the male version of the ATLAS suit to imply a bit of a bad fit. I suspect it needs a bit of tweaking but overall I am happy with its composition.This was rendered in one pass in less than 5 minutes. Billboards are a fantastic resource saving; there are only two 'actual' G8 figures in the scene.

Comments and recommendations are welcome.

Tirick

PartyCrashers-03.png
    2560 x 1440 - 4M
    Post edited by Tirick on

Not sure exactly if I'm going to roll with this idea, but I decided to add some things to the background. If it does work, i'll have to mess with it a bit.

Though a part of me feels like it's not the right direction to take this in I'm not entirely sure.

3.jpg
    889 x 500 - 196K
    edited December 2020

edited December 2020

there was something wrong posting the render

here it is again bigger

and the historical ORWO poster of 55 years of film from Wolfen (a city in East-Germany Bezirk Halle - where I'm from - who made ORWO film and magnetic tapes etc.)

entryone ORWOrawshooter

ORWO_rawshooter.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 3M
    ORWO_Agfa_distressed.JPEG
    2000 x 1920 - 1M
    ORWO_Agfa.png
    2000 x 1920 - 186K
    ORWO_Agfa_nmap.png
    2000 x 1920 - 5M
  • i was taught in my early years of art class (grade school) is if you dont like it dont erase/ destroy it, keep going you may be surpised what you end up with.

• Korathan said:

i was taught in my early years of art class (grade school) is if you dont like it dont erase/ destroy it, keep going you may be surpised what you end up with.

I was taught to lay it off aside and do something different (doodle is king) and then when you feel like it come back and be centre of the stage wink

sometimes there is simply nothing to resurrect a flipping project - ditch it for good and start from scratch

• JasRTJasRT Posts: 13
    edited December 2020

There are some great submissions. I especially like the Santa Christmas card.

FWIW, here's my Beginner entry, made with Daz3D (quote and sig added in GIMP), entitled On laughter-silvered wings....

Low-angle render of two children imagining flight

I've only been using the software about a month, so I have a lot to learn, but I really like what it can do so far!!

-JasRT

On laughter-silvered wings.jpg
    1080 x 1080 - 590K
    Post edited by JasRT on
  • Thought I might have a go this image is called Stay Calm and Meditate

AlienLeader HD.jpg
    1600 x 2080 - 1M
  • JasRT said:

There are some great submissions. I especially like the Santa Christmas card.

FWIW, here's my Beginner entry, made with Daz3D (quote and sig added in GIMP), entitled On laughter-silvered wings....

Low-angle render of two children imagining flight

I've only been using the software about a month, so I have a lot to learn, but I really like what it can do so far!!

-JasRT

wonderful render

happy people

edited December 2020
    deleted

Decided to get rid of the background details, I don't think they fit for the idea that I have atm. Instead I want to make a fog-effect for the background, I put a sort of one as a place-holder, but I hope to replace it with a better one.

4.jpg
    889 x 500 - 136K
  • I know it doesn't really belong here but I encounter for some strange reasons a technical issue with editing the post entries here - the WYSIWYG Editor seems completely disappeared when I want to edit my post and then I'm forced into HTML code skills which I do not have. It also could be that I need to reinstall Windows or fix something which I haven't got a glue about. Any help highly appreciated. Thank you 

• @_ AL1vE _

Not a real solution here but a bit of a hack: If you find an old post of yours that has something you want to do here such as say post an image you can edit that one, steal the code you need and edit as necessary. Not sure why we are all getting that view but you don't need to know as much html then if you take from an old post. Hope that helps.

• katywhite said:

@_ AL1vE _

Not a real solution here but a bit of a hack: If you find an old post of yours that has something you want to do here such as say post an image you can edit that one, steal the code you need and edit as necessary. Not sure why we are all getting that view but you don't need to know as much html then if you take from an old post. Hope that helps.

good to know that I'm not the only one... smiley 

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780

@_ AL1vE  it's a bug, connected with the quoting issue currently in the forums, it's know and being worked on

• Linwelly said:

@_ AL1vE  it's a bug, connected with the quoting issue currently in the forums, it's know and being worked on

thanks Linwelly
    I thought perhaps something wrong with my computer 

yes 

edited December 2020

three more freebies for you to use in the monthly contests or in any way you see fit - voronoi fractured objects

a huge THANK YOU goes to vklidu over at blender stack-exchange who explained to me how to get it done - again THANKS vklidu you are the rockstar tonight

here is the FREEBIE >>> download

the download contains in seperate folders a blender, Cinema 4D, and wavefront OBJ file

have fun

and thanks for downloading

technotile.PNG
    1920 x 985 - 875K
    techsphere.PNG
    1920 x 984 - 609K
    techtube.PNG
    1920 x 982 - 647K
    CBC_00001.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 864K
    voronoi_example_00001.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 516K
  • aprilshowers2065aprilshowers2065 Posts: 699
    edited December 2020

Title: Bring the Storm

Fixed her belt so it's not going through her jacket anymore. I suppose this would be a beginner's entry; realize I didn't specify that before.

Bring the Storm.png
    1600 x 1600 - 3M
    Post edited by aprilshowers2065 on
  • Was having trouble thinking of what to do with my first idea, so I decided to take a break and try something differant. Here's the start on that.

dec2020-2a.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 1M