DAZ Studio Pro 4.6.3.52, General Release, Now Available for Download!

Comments

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558
    edited December 1969

Thanks Jaderail. Just seem to be getting the error more lately. It is frustrating, especially when in the middle of a project when it decides to stop responding. DAZ has been stable for a while.

My hardware hasn't changed. I still have more than enough ram to load anything 24 gig, decent video card etc.

When I click to load M6, it hangs briefly (See image). Same thing happens with Gianni.

It does not happen with Genesis 2 Base Male.

m6.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 498K
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,810
    edited June 2014

For what it's worth, I get that message from time to time with Gianni -- not all the time or consistently, so I think it depends on the particular character set -- but now it happens so much with Aiko 6 -- default, specific character set, doesn't matter -- that I was wondering what was different about her than any other character. I don't have a dual drive system, and my disk is set not to sleep for various reasons, so that's not an issue. Aiko 6 just takes forever and makes Studio throw up "Not Responding" messages. Haven't changed hardware or anything else, beyond normal monthly OS updates, for ages.

EDIT: Also, just discovered that the Purge Memory script doesn't seem to work any more. I tried to use it to get rid of a long list of textures of objects that weren't in scene any more. It started "Deleting objects", got to 92%, and that was all she wrote. After a few minutes waiting, I tried clicking the "cancel" button, but that just grayed out the entire program window, flipped the little window to saying "Daz Studio (not responding), and brought up a message from Windows itself that Studio had stopped responding. I waited a few minutes more, then I finally just killed the DazStudio.exe process. Thankfully, I hadn't done all that much, so it wasn't a huge amount of work lost.

It also turns out that you have to restart Studio to get rid of the Postgre processes that don't quit when Studio doesn't exit normally. At least, that's what I do, since I'm not sure if just killing the processes will damage the database, and it's been so well behaved since the conversion that I don't want to take any risks.

Post edited by vwrangler on
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    edited June 2014

Thanks Jaderail. Just seem to be getting the error more lately. It is frustrating, especially when in the middle of a project when it decides to stop responding. DAZ has been stable for a while.

My hardware hasn't changed. I still have more than enough ram to load anything 24 gig, decent video card etc.

When I click to load M6, it hangs briefly (See image). Same thing happens with Gianni.

It does not happen with Genesis 2 Base Male.

I'm not sure if my reason for the" Not Responding" is the same as what you are getting
    But Ive been getting those not responding messages for a while since the latest build of daz.. As you mentioned it can be very frustrating.
    I get these messages especially when I load a saved scene file I have been working on or have ready for animation. it will give me the "Not responding" error message.
    I found the only way to deal with it is, if I just wait about 5 minutes or so ( I never really timed it) the scene will finely load and the "not responding" message goes away and the the Daz programs resumes working and the scene files will appear with all the assets in the scene tab . But I can't touch any other buttons or tabs on the daz program during the "not responding" messages or it will white out the daz program & force the Daz program to shut down or crash.

I don't know if you have tried waiting for the items to load or not after getting the message but I know that this is the only way I can load my saved scenes is to wait a few minutes and after some time the scene will load & the message disappears . I am not sure if that is normal or not for this new build of daz. but that is how i have been handling the not responding messages, I just don't try to touch any of the Daz program functions or tabs when your getting the message or like i said it will force the program to white out & shut down or crash.

Post edited by Ivy on
  • MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

I am getting the” Not Responding” message all the time since ever ! nothing new but now much less since I updated my SSD to much faster , but when loading a lot of morphs or heavy content it still show the message sometimes but not when loading figures or characters

also regarding the cursor that I had problems with in the last update , I had to change the level of pressure on my wacom tablet and it stopped vanishing and do not freeze the weight maps tools anymore ..

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558
    edited December 1969

I'm getting the 'not responding' message more frequently, and with more serious outcome than before. I used to get it occasionally. With these last builds it seems to increase,.

The figure loading is odd to me, since I don't have a lot of content loaded when I select Gianni I stopped having e it load genesis initially too. Daz should be able to handle loading Gianni solo with nothing else open. There is a delay, but the character does load. It just didn't used to happen.

What bothers me, is when it does this when I'm working on something more involved. I don't know what causes it or why, but I've had it seize up during a larger image I'm working on and have it stop. This is quite frustrating. Especially when I've worked on larger more involved projects in the past without this level of software wangst. =-)

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Mec4D said:
    I am getting the” Not Responding” message all the time since ever ! nothing new but now much less since I updated my SSD to much faster , but when loading a lot of morphs or heavy content it still show the message sometimes but not when loading figures or characters

also regarding the cursor that I had problems with in the last update , I had to change the level of pressure on my wacom tablet and it stopped vanishing and do not freeze the weight maps tools anymore ..

Pretty please - did you increase or decrease the level of pressure? My pointer tends to vanish too with the new release!

edited December 1969

I am loading Gianni solo in 3 seconds without any delay and so the rest of it , and there is not difference if you load Gianni or Genesis 2 .. all data is loaded anyway, so Giani Solo or not you load your full Genesis 2 Male data library what take some time , and with each character you install it getting slower and slower . Each program has response time, if it get to long to load your data you getting message from Windows System No Responding and if it take even longer then the program can freeze .. and crash ..it depends on many other factors and not just the program ..

edited December 1969

Under Wacom option add DAZ Studio exe for the separate settings .. to soft pressure will make the cursor vanish ..so increase it as much you can .. I set it to HARD max , figured out that I have to do it each time I am updating DS and problem solved .. my cursor vanishing before mostly when using the camera and editing the weight maps but now it works just fine again . You don't need soft pressure in DS anyway :)

Kerya said:
    Mec4D said:

Pretty please - did you increase or decrease the level of pressure? My pointer tends to vanish too with the new release!

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

{{{hugs Cath}}}
    THANK YOU! :)

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Mec4D said:
    I am loading Gianni solo in 3 seconds without any delay and so the rest of it , and there is not difference if you load Gianni or Genesis 2 .. all data is loaded anyway, so Giani Solo or not you load your full Genesis 2 Male data library what take some time , and with each character you install it getting slower and slower . Each program has response time, if it get to long to load your data you getting message from Windows System No Responding and if it take even longer then the program can freeze .. and crash ..it depends on many other factors and not just the program ..
    Very good point, this is one drawback to having all morph shapes auto load on the genesis based figures. But for my PC it's more the sets that cause not responding messages. Even if my drive is spun up some sets just take time to load and set up. I expect it. But if it was happening on most loads I would think something some place was not working as it should.
    edited December 1969

it is a lot of data that need to be processed , it happening in Zbrush or Photoshop .. not just with DS .. the processor we use today are to fast for the PC's and the data can't be processed as fast..
    regarding your sets, maybe the files was compressed in DS .. I noticed that when I save compressed files in DS they load much slower as time is needed to decode everything .. just guessing
    I really hate when the things happening like that , it is so annoying, especially when creating a lot of morphs with batch , it is like forever, but I don;t expect here a quick fix soon ..

Jaderail said:
    Mec4D said:
    Very good point, this is one drawback to having all morph shapes auto load on the genesis based figures. But for my PC it's more the sets that cause not responding messages. Even if my drive is spun up some sets just take time to load and set up. I expect it. But if it was happening on most loads I would think something some place was not working as it should.
    edited June 2014

Hmm... that's another point. I do not remember turning the compression setting on in some saves but I may have. That does not explain some sets from clean installs doing it. But they could come compressed I guess. Until it breaks I'm okay. I have time to wait like Ivy does if needed.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited June 2014

Me too.. what else to do with that .. not much choices

Post edited by MEC4D on
  • DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Mec4D said:
    Since DAZ Studio, and for that matter DSON Importer for Poser caches all that data with your first load after adding new morphs, unless you clear out your DSON Cache (Which you can do) or add morphs, the morph sets don't add much to load time. When I say much, I am talking about less than a second, even on the slow laptop or slow machine I use to test for typical customer speed (although most of you are up to my fast test machine, so it is likely time to upgrade. LOL.

It is more likely something to do with the textures/shaders than the morphs.

You might try blanking the texture and comparing, to see what I am talking about.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited June 2014

Jaderail said:
    Hmm... that's another point. I do not remember turning the compression setting on in some saves but I may have. That does not explain some sets from clean installs doing it. But they could come compressed I guess. Until it breaks I'm okay. I have time to wait like Ivy does if needed.

When saving morph the compress data is checked on by default. When you uncheck that box, at the bottom of the save dialog, it will be the default for all other saved data you produce. My experience anyway!

Post edited by RAMWolff on
    edited December 1969

I'm thinking Spooky is correct, I was also thinking more textures than not, never thought of the Shader setup time as well. And many things now come default with shaders set up ready to render.
    And Thanks for the Info on the Compression setting, very useful to know.

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,789
    edited June 2014

Exporting *.obj has an issue too. With DS-export settings, the obj is translated +z and +x direction. Translation values 0 should remain 0.
    It's most anoying , when making a new FBM of a mix of existing morphs => export *.obj (DS-scales) => morph loader => setting new dial to 1 makes the whole figure move allong z and x direction.

Post edited by Masterstroke on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,655
    edited December 1969

Exporting *.obj has an issue too. With DS-export settings, the obj is translated +z and +x direction. Translation values 0 should remain 0.
    It's most anoying , when making a new FBM of a mix of existing morphs => export *.obj (DS-scales) => morph loader => setting new dial to 1 makes the whole figure move allong z and x direction.

You used the same preset in both directions? Please post screen shots of the import and export dialogues, with the options expanded.

edited December 1969

There is another chance that the modeling program do that by export since I never had any issues with

edited June 2014

Dialed a morph here, exported the whole figure as test.obj, reimport with advanced morph loader.

Images removed for nudity. Please review this thread. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3279_98/

Zwischenablage03.jpg
    1189 x 664 - 169K
    Zwischenablage02.jpg
    1114 x 691 - 167K
    Post edited by frank0314 on
    edited December 1969

Mec4D said:
    There is another chance that the modeling program do that by export since I never had any issues with

No other modeling programm, just DS.
    edited December 1969

Dialed a morph here, exported the whole figure as test.obj, reimport with advanced morph loader.

Images removed for nudity. Please review this thread. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3279_98/

Your figure is already translated forward, so when you export and load that as a morph the translation is included and setting the morph doubles it. Zero the figure before exporting the OBJ.

edited December 1969

Your figure is already translated forward, so when you export and load that as a morph the translation is included and setting the morph doubles it. Zero the figure before exporting the OBJ.
    Just checked that, no, it is not allready translated.

Zwischenablage09.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 493K
    Zwischenablage08.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 492K
    Zwischenablage07.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 528K
    Zwischenablage06.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 484K
    edited December 1969

It is translated - check the hip as well as the root node.

G2FZeroPos.JPG
    841 x 735 - 45K
    edited December 1969

hip translation- uh, that's it. Thank you, didn't see that.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited June 2014

hi.

okay .. CMS is no longer functioning and atm nobody knows why ...
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/43095/

So with this newest edition installed ... and CMS still not functioning .... its offline ... so all those fancy DIM options are not an option ...
    help!

Is there not an installer for CMS alone? How do we repair this thing?

edit, nm ... have concluded its time must have run out ... not working for many I see ... sigh.
    Okay so have got the next thing installed, haven't a clue what I'm doing.
    There are 2 ... one for a conversion and one to install??? So ran them both.
    It's after 3a.m. over here and things like this are not supposed to happen after midnight.
    Don't know why, just sounds good at the moment.

Still loading the metadata ... at least the supersuit didn't freeze it.

Post edited by patience55 on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,327
    edited December 1969

Are you using DIM to install? If so install the PostgreSQL. It takes the place of the current CMS and is more stable

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    Are you using DIM to install? If so install the PostgreSQL. It takes the place of the current CMS and is more stable

More stable ... oh that's good :-)

I manually installed the programs but did download/install and ran DIM just to install the PostgreSQL. As far as user interface goes though, everything looks the same? like it still says it's connecting to CMS.

1st impression of the latest D/S is it loads itself faster, displays the content via Content Library faster .... but seems to load things a bit slower. Played with some lights and test renders and gee "no crashes" :-)

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,327
    edited December 1969

I don't believe there were any changes to the UI. I could be wrong though. I didn't read the change log

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    I don't believe there were any changes to the UI. I could be wrong though. I didn't read the change log

It's mostly identical, although there are start and stop options available for it in the Content Library menu.