The Marvelous Designer Thread

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,126
    edited December 2020

I did my first Marvelous Designer autofit, where I took a garment provided by MD for their avatar and autofit it to G8F in MD 10. The I exported it to OBJ and brought it into Daz Studio. I ran transfer utility and added dForce. On the left is the dress without any dForce on the basic G8F. The other three are G8F in various poses with dForce on the dress.

This is a pretty simple garment - no sleeves, collar, cuffs, buttons or zippers, etc. The MD autofit worked pretty well on this.

G8F MD Shirred Dress Autofit_002.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 771K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922
    barbult said:

I did my first Marvelous Designer autofit, where I took a garment provided by MD for their avatar and autofit it to G8F in MD 10. The I exported it to OBJ and brought it into Daz Studio. I ran transfer utility and added dForce. On the left is the dress without any dForce on the basic G8F. The other three are G8F in various poses with dForce on the dress.

This is a pretty simple garment - no sleeves, collar, cuffs, buttons or zippers, etc. The MD autofit worked pretty well on this.

Broken link

barbult said:

Broken link

Fixed????

• barbult said:
    barbult said:

Broken link

Fixed????

Yes, the image is now displayed... thank you!

edited December 2020

Here's another outfit I autofit to G8F in Marvelous Designer 10. This is the Hana Garments that comes with MD 10.

G8F MD Hana Garments Autofit 4 poses_002.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 864K
    Post edited by barbult on
    barbult said:

Here's another outfit I autofit to G8F in Marvelous Designer 10. This is the Hana Garments that comes with MD 10.

Nice. I will be upgrading soon & finishing the DIY of the hobby room so I can actually do MD tutorials without guilt or surrounded by a tatty mess.

nonesuch00 said:

Nice. I will be upgrading soon & finishing the DIY of the hobby room so I can actually do MD tutorials without guilt or surrounded by a tatty mess.

I think you will enjoy the upgrade. 

I used an OBJ of Mrs. Chow as a morph target in MD. Then i made an FBMMrsChow8 from it the exported clothes in DS. Now my Hana Garments fit Mrs. Chow in Daz Studio.

barbult said:

I used an OBJ of Mrs. Chow as a morph target in MD. Then i made an FBMMrsChow8 from it the exported clothes in DS. Now my Hana Garments fit Mrs. Chow in Daz Studio.

Nicely done

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214

@Barbult  love the render of Ms Chow in her new oufit!  I just downloaded the trial of MD10 which will expire on Dec 27 so I hope I can get better at it during the trial as so far I am getting nowhere lol

Kharma said:

@Barbult  love the render of Ms Chow in her new oufit!  I just downloaded the trial of MD10 which will expire on Dec 27 so I hope I can get better at it during the trial as so far I am getting nowhere lol

Thanks, @Kharma. There are many many online tutorials, but the absolute best thing I found to get me started was the DarkEdgeDesign tutorial sold here at Daz. (He has 2 MD tutorials The Redux one wasn't as useful to me, because it uses a lot of ZBrush, which I don't own.) The first tutorial is perfect for a beginner. Here is a forum thread about it. It was made with an earlier version of MD and DS, but I think that doesn't matter. The basic concepts are the same. It is tailored specifically to Daz users. 

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,233

i remeber cgelves having good tutorials.  Probably in more depth than what i assume darkedgedesign goes into (but could be wrong since i never watched those tutorials referenced above).

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cgelves

• MadaMada Posts: 1,865

Eva1 said:

Hi, new to this thread - thanks to all who have posted some very useful tips here. I've just started learning MD, it's great fun!

One thing I haven't worked out how to do properly is to get nice topology around the neckline, armholes when using MD quadrangulated for the finished item. For example if I look at something like the Augmentation Outfit top it has great topology at the neckline (highlighted in the attached pic) - I assume this is an MD mesh (but I could be wrong).

I know that this can be done by instead doing retopology inside MD (this is a fantastic feature) since I'm creating new topology and can control the topo flow (I've done that).  But I'd rather just used the MD quad mesh as is if possible, but the topo flow around neck, armholes etc. isnt' great. I did try using an internal line along those areas then quad the mesh - it works fine along straight edges like bottom hems but not curved areas like armholes.

Can anyone offer any suggestions please?

@Eva1 I actually retopo all my garments by hand in modo since I have more control to get better loop flow and material zones, however with the new topo room in MD its entirely possible to get a similar result. Biggest issue with that right now is that the pieces are unwelded and has to be taken into a modelling program to weld. This video shows the process pretty well :)

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214

@barbult thank you so much for reminding me I have those tutorials, I will reinstall them and follow along

@lilweep I will also check out CGelves, I remember looking them up a while back and seeing that you could subscribe to all their tutorials for a pretty good price

@Mada thanks so much for posting the MD9 Retopology link, I was looking how to do that in MD10 and couldn't figure i out

The re-target draping in MD10 doesnt really work very well for me.

For example, i modelled this jumpsuit on G8M but when i try to retarget to another figure with much larger body, it becomes very tight (too tight). And it means i would have to go through and manually adjust the fit to make it looser... which for a complex garment is tantamount to remaking the entire garment.

Capture1.JPG
    824 x 997 - 63K
    Capture2.JPG
    607 x 798 - 47K
  • lilweep said:

For example, i modelled this jumpsuit on G8M but when i try to retarget to another figure with much larger body, it becomes very tight (too tight). And it means i would have to go through and manually adjust the fit to make it looser... which for a complex garment is tantamount to remaking the entire garment.

I guess it depends on the look you are going for... personally, I think the tight-fitting jumpsuit accentuates the muscles in the larger G8M figure and makes him look stronger/stockier.  The only thing that looks off to me, is where the pant legs bulge-out at the top of his boots. In this case, it may look better to have the boots on the outside of the pant legs. 

robertswww said:

lilweep said:

I guess it depends on the look you are going for... personally, I think the tight-fitting jumpsuit accentuates the muscles in the larger G8M figure and makes him look stronger/stockier.  The only thing that looks off to me, is where the pant legs bulge-out at the top of his boots. In this case, it may look better to have the boots on the outside of the pant legs. 

Good observation about the boots. The image used for the conversion is shown without boots. It does look like a pretty good conversion to me, too. A little increase in the Warp adjustments in MD would probably loosen the garment, if that is the desired look. There might be no need to manually adjust the shape of individual pattern pieces.

• DMaxDMax Posts: 637
    edited December 2020

Been toying with MD for a week now and find that the most difficult bit is in exporting to DAZ and turning the clothing into a conforming, rigged item. I have yet to study UV, normal, diffusion, etc and definitely not yet into FBM nor JCM. To this jacket, I added sub-D, transfer utility, smoothing and saved as a support asset>figure/prop asset. I removed dForce as it failed to simulate and froze DS each time at 2%.

(1) Why is there such horrible poke through despite the transfer utility?
    (2) Why is my beautiful collar so badly disfigured boohoo.. the left collar is upright and standing firm but the right collar is just a mess (after I apply the pose)
    (3) I sewed my sleeves down the middle of the shoulder but the pose moved the seams excessively and the stitches look plain unsightly as well (I didn't add any top stitches)
    (4) My zipper lost its teeth after I added Uber shader, I am guessing I did not have a proper normal map
    (5) Are JCM and Weight-mapping necessary for all clothing items?

A bit discouraged here... even my character is feeling down, it's just two days before Xmas and he wishes to be properly clothed :(

Coat_test.jpg
    999 x 813 - 372K
    Post edited by DMax on

robertswww said:

lilweep said:

personally for the drape retargeting to be considered good, i think it should attempt to preserve the strain map of the pieces.

it shouldnt imo just assume i want the strain to be greater upon retargeting to a stockier figure.

legs aside, i think the way it tightens around the chest to look really unnatural.

even the transfer utility in Daz does a better job of morphing the original garment to a larger figure.  (but it too looked ugly.)

DMax said:

Been toying with MD for a week now and find that the most difficult bit is in exporting to DAZ and turning the clothing into a conforming, rigged item. I have yet to study UV, normal, diffusion, etc and definitely not yet into FBM nor JCM. To this jacket, I added sub-D, transfer utility, smoothing and saved as a support asset>figure/prop asset. I removed dForce as it failed to simulate and froze DS each time at 2%.

(2) Why is my beautiful collar so badly disfigured boohoo.. the left collar is upright and standing firm but the right collar is just a mess (after I apply the pose)
    (3) I sewed my sleeves down the middle of the shoulder but the pose moved the seams excessively and the stitches look plain unsightly as well (I didn't add any top stitches)
    (4) My zipper lost its teeth after I added Uber shader, I am guessing I did not have a proper normal map

A bit discouraged here... even my character is feeling down, it's just two days before Xmas and he wishes to be properly clothed :(

not sure what you are referring to.  If you are referring to the white undershirt poking through the top layers, understand that transfer utility isnt psychic.  if you transferred the original pieces one at a time, each will be rigged based on the unclothed model, so poke through is expected, no?

not sure how to answer this one, but my assumption would be that again transfer utility isnt psychic and will have probably assigned the rigging of those polys to perhaps the wrong parts of the neck/shoulder.  So you might have some cleaning up to do. 

Im not sure what the pipeline is to clean this up, maybe someone else can weigh in.  Perhaps it is just a matter of adjusting the weight maps.

as above, not sure how to answer this one, maybe someone else can weigh in.

arent the zipper teeth from Marvelous Designer just a repeating texture map? if you applied a different shader, it would remove the texture maps. maybe just add the textures back in?

I think they are necessary if you have a conforming clothing item that you intend to share/sell, particular around crotch and underarms.  If you intend to dforce, i think it might not be necessary.

• DMax said:

As noted (sorry, I can't see the thread to check the author) it's because the collar, being closer to the head than the shoulder, has the weights for the head. You'd need to edit the weight maps to fix this, trasnferring the influence to the torso probably.

The shirt follows the underlying Genesis 8 male mesh - it's essentially the same issue as with the neck, but here you can't do much about it if the elbox bend is to be in the right place (other than use dForce).

Varies - essentially, does it work without? Though if you are planning to submit to a store you probably will need to have the JCMs (and you may need to add more - for example if you take the head/neck influences out of the collar you may need a JCM to accomnodate bending the neck back or side-to-side)

• duckbombduckbomb Posts: 585

DMax said:

I'm very much just a beginner with this (I'll show off my first ever completed piece tomorrow when it's done rendering tonight overnight), and the others can probably help more than me, but I do at least know the answer to 4 and (maybe) 1...

1) I've found that poke-through like this happens when the mesh is intersecting... for instance, that hand is touching his hip, and the clothes stuck in the middle don't know where to go.  There's some sort of "air gap" (not sure what else to call it) that seems to exist to keep the fabric on top of the figure, but when the geo gets super close like that it gets all confused.  I'd reccomend posing it out with a bit more space there and seeing if that helps.  I dunno, though, it's just a guess.  Hopefully as I get better I can be more useful in the future...

4) For the zipper, I do know that this is a shader.  You should probably be able to find the tileable shader somewhere in the Marvelous Designer files, since it's a resource you can use in that program.  If you find that tileable shader you can just add it to diffuse.  You won't get any "definition" without a bump/normal map, but at least the teeth will be there.

I don't know about the rest... I'm very new to this, but I'm excited that there's a dedicated thread for it.  I think MD is an amazing tool, and it just seems to get better with each update.  There's a learning curve, sure, but at least for me it seems worth the effort :)

edited December 2020

In Esha's content creation series of tutorials, available on the store, what she did was she made two versions of the garment - the 'final' draped version and also a 'tight' version.  The 'tight' version would be derived from the 'final' draped version of the garment, and would be created so that it more closely follows the contours of the figure compared to the more loose 'final' version.

She used the 'tight' version when running the transfer utility.  This was a way to reduce errors in the transfer utility assigning rigging to wrong parts of the mesh.  Because the tight version hugged the contours of the body, the transfer utility did less guess work in assigning weights to the bones etc.

The 'final' version was used as a morph (via morph loader pro or via Update Geometry).

Post edited by lilweep on
  • DMaxDMax Posts: 637

Thank you so much everybody for your feedback and advice... I am going to be like a dog with a bone on this and really desire to get this done perfectly right... I truly enjoy making my own clothes and will read up more and experiment with weight mapping and JCMs, etc... they seem super essential, along with normals, diffuse for texturing. Happy holidays and much love to all our aspiring seamstresses, tailors and haute couture magicians!

edited December 2020

I remade my jumpsuit mentioned above so it would fit better (essentially remade from scratch rather than retargering)

js3.jpg
    2825 x 2048 - 438K
    Jumpsuit6.jpg
    2934 x 2048 - 1M
    Jumpsuit4.jpg
    2349 x 2048 - 357K
    Holden1.jpg
    2841 x 2048 - 456K
    edited February 2021

I bought this hoodie/windbreaker from Artstation - fitted to G8M quite easily.  i always have problems with the drawstring/aglets though (they always sim very badly/Slowly).  There has to be a better way.

Street3.jpg
    2508 x 2207 - 791K
    SBHtest2-03.jpg
    2346 x 2440 - 433K
  • AbnerKAbnerK Posts: 718

TheKD said:

patrova combine is pretty well known in the marvelous designer world. She sells a ton of MD garments at great prices https://www.artstation.com/digitalcombine/store

If you buy any of those clothes be aware you might not get all the materials that are used in the promo. Okay, they are cheap but, still if you see a promo, that is what you expect to get. This is the one I complained about but got no joy. ArtStation - Male Modern Jacket. Clo3d, Marvelous Designer Project+FBX+OBJ+Render file (Keyshot) | Resources

Another vendor on there was much worse and I complained the vendor didn't care at all, and since  ArtStation made it impossible to contact anyone else, I ended up having to get a Paypal refund.. Beware. 

AbnerK said:

TheKD said:

patrova combine is pretty well known in the marvelous designer world. She sells a ton of MD garments at great prices https://www.artstation.com/digitalcombine/store

If you buy any of those clothes be aware you might not get all the materials that are used in the promo. Okay, they are cheap but, still if you see a promo, that is what you expect to get. This is the one I complained about but got no joy. ArtStation - Male Modern Jacket. Clo3d, Marvelous Designer Project+FBX+OBJ+Render file (Keyshot) | Resources

Another vendor on there was much worse and I complained the vendor didn't care at all, and since  ArtStation made it impossible to contact anyone else, I ended up having to get a Paypal refund.. Beware. 

with all due respect, those shaders all look very basic and probably come with Keyshot or something, and surely there are equivalent ones you can find in the Daz Store or via the various free texture sites (like https://3dtextures.me/ or texture haven).

If Evgeniya Petrova uses an obscure shader, in my experience it usually is one of these: https://www.artstation.com/mannbear/store

• Fungible UserFungible User Posts: 456
    edited April 2021

*TUTORIAL HUNT FOR MD to ZBRUSH to SUBSTANCE PAINTER MISSING LINK* Hi all, so after doing countless tutorials, many of them mentioned in this thread, I feel I have a really good handle on the Marvelous Designer process and skill set, as well as finessing and refining the garment in Zbrush. I'm also 'somewhat' adept at Substance Painter, BUT I am missing a big chuck of the pipeline which is the procedural preparation of the mesh/model for exportation to Substance Painter. I cannot tell you how many tutorials I have been through where the instructor either races through this process or simply says; 'you can refine your topology and UV in your software of choice before exporting'...and that's that. It's almost as if they are afraid to touch on the subject, though I suspect everyone has their own 'tried and tested' method which may be too obscure/difficult to try and teach it. At this point I can't say I want to learn game-ready topology refinement just yet (though in the future I definitely do), so I would settle for just getting a garment mesh and UV into substance painter that I could texture and get back in to Daz, but I am at a loss to find a course or tutorial that explains this whole process in depth.  Things like what 'exactly' needs to be done to the mesh and why? What does it need to look like before you can export it to SP? How can I tell if I am doing everything correctly? What are the different ways of achieving it? I have been watching tutorials piecemeal to get a grip on this, but everyone has vastly varying methods and uses so many different software packages (Maya, 3DS Max, TopGun, etc) that I can't expand and hone in on just one method, because, basically, there just isn't enough information on just that 'one' method, or the method is VERY out of date due to all the new advancements in MD, Zbrush and SP. If anyone has any suggestions I am all ears. I did follow the Cyberpunk Bomber Tutorial by Travis Davis recently and had to stop at the part where he explains the procedure from Zbrush to Substance Painter because although it did explain the mesh/model/UV preparation and exportation mechanics for 'that' particular garment, it didn't explain the whens, whys, and how. There were too many variables left unexplained and I ended up with a mesh that SP wouldn't open.

**post edit - so basically after all that blah, blah, blah...if anyone may know of a tutorial or course which may explain this procedure better..or even a step forward, I would be most appreciative.

Post edited by Fungible User on
    edited April 2021

empty said:

At this point I can't say I want to learn game-ready topology refinement just yet (though in the future I definitely do), so I would settle for just getting a garment mesh and UV into substance painter that I could texture and get back in to Daz,

You can pack UV's very easily in Marvelous Designer itself before going to Zbrush via the UV Editor page. This does not take very long and there are tutorials on it.  Alternatively you could do it in Blender etc. Im sure Googling yields many tutorials on this. As far as your considerations go, obviously the UV islands need to be big enough to paint on with sufficient detail (texel density), so you could also consider splitting the maps into different UDIM tiles if you need more space. That's really your only consideration when packing your UVs.   You claim to be quite proficient at Substance Painter, so if that's the case through experience you would be familiar with what UV arrangements are helpful and which aren't for painting on. 

Substance Painter probably didnt open your mesh because you had UV islands crossing the UDIM boundaries.  Note: you can edit UVs after export... e.g., in Blender or whatever other program.

As for retopologising and preparing low poly and high poly models, isnt there a way to do that very easily in Zbrush with the built-in tools?  Im not familiar with Zbrush, but the tools to retopo in Marvelous Designer itself are incredibly painful to use, so i never even bothered with that step.  I noticed many vendors on Daz just use quadrangulated un-retopologised mesh straight from Marvelous Designer, so that's also what i did.