Look at my Hair (LAMH) Official Thread: update 1.6.0.2 released

Comments

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

tonymouse said:
    I have a very hard time searching the forums, the search functions are very inaccurate. I think I recall a mention of LAMH for poser?? as a possible future development. Has there been any more on that YES or NO?? I for one would be all about it.

I am working on it. No timeline yet.

Kendall

• tonymousetonymouse Posts: 230
    edited December 1969

Hey I am just very glad to hear it is still a possibility. Cuz your Look at my Hair, deff does make things look a lot better ;) Patiently waiting.

• JennKJennK Posts: 834
    edited December 1969

A couple of issues:

First I am attempting to install LAMH and my DIM is not seeing it at all. I purchased the full version on Jan 8, 2014. I am running a windows 8.1 machine

Second I am trying to install manually on a secondary hard drive yet when I try to run LAMH to register the product it keeps looking on my C drive even though I told it to install on my D. And tells me I can not register until I create a folder on my C drive. My Question is this will LAMH not run on a secondary drive or do I need to install it on my primary? Only my CMS is on my primary drive the Daz Studio application is on my secondary.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

edited December 1969

JK0011 said:
    A couple of issues:

First I am attempting to install LAMH and my DIM is not seeing it at all. I purchased the full version on Jan 8, 2014. I am running a windows 8.1 machine

This is an issue that will need to be taken up with DAZ Customer Support as it seems that the account that the DIM is attached to doesn't show your purchase.

Second I am trying to install manually on a secondary hard drive yet when I try to run LAMH to register the product it keeps looking on my C drive even though I told it to install on my D. And tells me I can not register until I create a folder on my C drive. My Question is this will LAMH not run on a secondary drive or do I need to install it on my primary? Only my CMS is on my primary drive the Daz Studio application is on my secondary.

LAMH uses the setup information from your DAZStudio install. Wherever DS is set to store your files is where LAMH will look. By default this will be /Users//Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/lookatmyhairAM

You can change this location by telling DS to use a different area.

Kendall

• JennKJennK Posts: 834
    edited December 1969

JK0011 said:
    A couple of issues:

This is an issue that will need to be taken up with DAZ Customer Support as it seems that the account that the DIM is attached to doesn't show your purchase.

LAMH uses the setup information from your DAZStudio install. Wherever DS is set to store your files is where LAMH will look. By default this will be /Users//Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/lookatmyhairAM

Kendall

Kendall thanks for the quick response. I will contact Daz would be nice to have the notice of updates that the DIM gives.

Thanks I have Daz looking on my D drive however I will go back and make sure I have all the spots checked in case I missed something on my re-install. First time I have attempted putting everything on secondary drive so it is very possible it is OE :)

edited December 1969

JK0011 said:
    JK0011 said:
    A couple of issues:

Kendall

Kendall thanks for the quick response. I will contact Daz would be nice to have the notice of updates that the DIM gives.

Thanks I have Daz looking on my D drive however I will go back and make sure I have all the spots checked in case I missed something on my re-install. First time I have attempted putting everything on secondary drive so it is very possible it is OE :)

Keep in mind that if you've had Studio installed before that the previous data may still be in the registry.

Look for a key called "Location" under a registry Tree for "DAZ Studio" or "DAZ Studio 4.6 (64bit)" etc. Make sure that the value(s) there match with your current install.

Also, even though LAMH does not use the registry, it seems that DS may create entries for it there. Check to see if there are "Location" keys stored there as well.

Kendall

• lululee1lululee1 Posts: 291
    edited June 2014

Hi,
    I have a hair set I would like to save.
    I would like to be able to save it so other people can use it.
    How do I save it for use in Studio not as geometry.
    I have been saving as a scene while developing but I don't think that's what
    I would need for distribution.
    Also,when I save the scene it does not save the density maps.

Cheerio
    lululee

Post edited by lululee1 on
    edited June 2014

lululee1 said:
    Hi,
    I have a hair set I would like to save.
    I would like to be able to save it so other people can use it.
    How do I save it for use in Studio not as geometry.
    I have been saving as a scene while developing but I don't think that's what
    I would need for distribution.
    Also,when I save the scene it does not save the density maps.

Cheerio
    lululee

How you save it is dependent on it's use. If it is a generic preset for a base figure (Genesis, G2M, G2F), then make sure the figure is named appropriately in the scene list, and then save a "Scene Subset". You can also save the preset as a "Wearable Preset" if the figure is one that is commonly available.

You can also distribute the .lmh file.

Either way, we can host it in the LAMH library on furrythings.com if you wish wo make it available.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
    edited December 1969

Hi,
    I have created a hair set with 3 shave groups. I am trying to export the hair as an obj.
    When I export it, only 1 shave group comes in.
    If I try to delete 2 shave groups and export it lamh crashes Studio.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheeiro
    lululee

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited December 1969

lululee1 said:
    Hi,
    I have created a hair set with 3 shave groups. I am trying to export the hair as an obj.
    When I export it, only 1 shave group comes in.
    If I try to delete 2 shave groups and export it lamh crashes Studio.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheeiro
    lululee

Hello, can you tell me the export settings? Remember that if you have 3 groups, in the export dialog you'll need to select "Export to OBJ" on each of the 3 groups, along with the desired hair count and other properties.

edited December 1969

Hi Alessandro_AM,
    I am having a pickle of a time trying to figure out this saving and export process.
    I have tried to export an obj from both the Hair Saloon and from inside Studio to Poser.
    If I export it from Hair Saloon nothing shows up in Poser.
    If I export it from from inside Studio to Poser only part of it shows up.

I have no success saving it as a wearable preset. Studio gives me an error message. I have attached the error message.
    I have attached all of my settings.

I am having some success saving it as a lmh and bringing it back into Studio.
    However, if I try to take it back into the Hair Saloon the screen goes blank and nothing
    shows up.

I am sure that I am missing some steps in the saving and exporting process.
    I appreciate your help.

Cheerio
    lululee

Outside.jpg
    661 x 420 - 31K
    Inside.jpg
    500 x 528 - 51K
    Settings.jpg
    436 x 706 - 49K
    Selection-error.jpg
    519 x 113 - 14K
    edited December 1969

lululee1 said:
    Hi Alessandro_AM,
    I am having a pickle of a time trying to figure out this saving and export process.
    I have tried to export an obj from both the Hair Saloon and from inside Studio to Poser.
    If I export it from Hair Saloon nothing shows up in Poser.
    If I export it from from inside Studio to Poser only part of it shows up.

I have no success saving it as a wearable preset. Studio gives me an error message. I have attached the error message.
    I have attached all of my settings.

I am having some success saving it as a lmh and bringing it back into Studio.
    However, if I try to take it back into the Hair Saloon the screen goes blank and nothing
    shows up.

I am sure that I am missing some steps in the saving and exporting process.
    I appreciate your help.

Cheerio
    lululee

Hi, I made a movie that shows how to create a 2 groups preset for genesis, and how to save it as a wearable preset, and how to load it afterwards. Let me know if it helps...

http://youtu.be/Gm5CVCJ-H24

edited December 1969

Hi Alessandro_AM,
    WOW! Thanks so much for the movie. It does really help.
    Tomorrow I will practice with it and let you know how I am doing with it.
    I believe i will figure it out now.
    Before I could never find the LAMH group in the surface editor.
    This made things much more clear.
    I appreciate it.
    Cheerio
    lululee

edited June 2014

Hi Alessandro_AM,
    I can follow everything in the video until I get to parenting the hair group to Genesis.
    I can't drag the hair group onto Genesis. Is there a key I need to hold down to drag it?
    Does it need to be parented to the head or just dragged onto the Genesis main?
    ( I am still quite new to Ds)
    If I try to parent it from the menu with either parent figure to head
    or parent object to head it disappears.

If it is not parented DS will not let me save it as a material preset.

Thanks for your help.
    Cheerio
    lululee

edited December 1969

lululee1 said:
    Hi Alessandro_AM,
    I can follow everything in the video until I get to parenting the hair group to Genesis.
    I can't drag the hair group onto Genesis. Is there a key I need to hold down to drag it?

Thanks for your help.
    Cheerio
    lululee

It's very easy, you need to parent the LAMH main group to Genesis main group, simply dragging and dropping it there.

edited December 1969

lululee1 said:
    Hi Alessandro_AM,

Thanks for your help.
    Cheerio
    lululee

\

The current version of LAMH does not support parenting. That will be available in the next release.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Hi Alessandro_AM,
    Ok, now I am totally confused.
    Are you saying that the way you showed in the video is not actually available in the current version of LAMH.
    If i can't parent it how do I save it as a wearable preset and how do I distribute it?
    I am a vendor so it is really important to me that I can develop my products so it is easy for
    the purchaser to use it.
    How are other vendors distributing their files?
    Is the parenting option available in the latest beta release.
    If it is I will go ahead and install the latest beta. That might solve my problem.
    I really like your software and am anxious to learn it properly because I can see that it has a lot of potential.
    Cheerio
    lululee

edited December 1969

lululee1 said:
    Hi Alessandro_AM,
    Ok, now I am totally confused.
    Are you saying that the way you showed in the video is not actually available in the current version of LAMH.
    If i can't parent it how do I save it as a wearable preset and how do I distribute it?
    I am a vendor so it is really important to me that I can develop my products so it is easy for
    the purchaser to use it.
    How are other vendors distributing their files?
    Is the parenting option available in the latest beta release.
    If it is I will go ahead and install the latest beta. That might solve my problem.
    I really like your software and am anxious to learn it properly because I can see that it has a lot of potential.
    Cheerio
    lululee

I was a little too terse there. Parenting to create a Wearable Preset will work just fine. However, other uses of parenting, such as positioning in a group are not currently supported in the store version of LAMH.

Kendall

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,610
    edited December 1969

So the hair created with LAMH can be redistribute it on my website? if I get good enough can I sell it?

edited December 1969

So the hair created with LAMH can be redistribute it on my website? if I get good enough can I sell it?

You can do whatever you want with your presets. If you'd like to have them included with the large library of current free presets, then we'd be happy to host them. If you want to distribute them yourself, then that's good by us. If you want to sell them, then we're 100% OK by that as well.

Commercial LAMH presets are available in the DAZ store as well as several other well-known stores. When we know about them, we're happy to draw attention to them via the LAMH Blog at furrythings, as well as via our Facebook page.

Kendall

edited June 2014

Hi Kendall and Alessandro_AM,
    I am pleased with saving the hair at this point as an lmh file.
    I can re-load it and tweak it just fine and I know that is distributable.
    Hopefully I will be able to find out how to drag and drop the lamh sections onto Genesis like Alessandro_AM did so I can save it as a wearable material preset but right now I will move ahead.
    My next learning curve will be to get these different shave groups to export as obj files into Poser and Max. At this point I am only getting 1 shave group to export at a time.
    LAMH is beautiful software. I commend both of you for all of your skill and hard work to bring it this far. It is inspiring to see it's potential. Looking forward to supporting your product.

Cheerio
    lululee

edited December 1969

lululee1 said:
    Hi Kendall and Alessandro_AM,
    I am pleased with saving the hair at this point as an lmh file.
    I can re-load it and tweak it just fine and I know that is distributable.
    Hopefully I will be able to find out how to drag and drop the lamh sections onto Genesis like Alessandro_AM did so I can save it as a wearable material preset but right now I will move ahead.
    My next learning curve will be to get these different shave groups to export as obj files into Poser and Max. At this point I am only getting 1 shave group to export at a time.
    LAMH is beautiful software. I commend both of you for all of your skill and hard work to bring it this far. It is inspiring to see it's potential. Looking forward to supporting your product.

Cheerio
    lululee

We are indeed working hard on it every day. Stay assured that more improved versions will come.

edited December 1969

Hi Alessandro_AM,
    Looking forward to more improved versions.
    LAMH is very inspiring software.
    Cheerio
    lululee

• GranvilleGranville Posts: 679
    edited June 2014

How do I edit an existing LAMH group. When I load it back into the editor, the guide hairs are not selected.

When I try to use the select by surface feature Daz studio crashes when I click the third node. In this case the tail.

Daz studio also crashes every time when I attempt to select the second shave group.

How do I get visibility toggle to work with lamh? When I turn visibility off for the lamh groups to render without the hair, it still renders. I was hoping for the flexibility to render with or without hair without having to set up two completely separate scenes. This will slow down my workflow.

lahm_off_but_renders.PNG
    1076 x 585 - 654K
    Capture.PNGselcte_note_.PNG
    316 x 472 - 10K
    Post edited by Granville on
  • RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,731
    edited December 1969

I just spent all day trying to render the Big Cat2 Lion with the mane....and it took 8 hours to get 15% done.
    Needless to say, I cancelled that render.
    I am now rendering with the LAMH preset for the lion...and got to 15% in less than an hour.
    ...and the fur looks so much better!!

Once again...LAMH saves a render ;)

Rawn

edited December 1969

How do I edit an existing LAMH group. When I load it back into the editor, the guide hairs are not selected.

When I try to use the select by surface feature Daz studio crashes when I click the third node. In this case the tail.

Daz studio also crashes every time when I attempt to select the second shave group.

How do I get visibility toggle to work with lamh? When I turn visibility off for the lamh groups to render without the hair, it still renders. I was hoping for the flexibility to render with or without hair without having to set up two completely separate scenes. This will slow down my workflow.

Hello, sorry I answer only now. First question: did you try our latest beta?
    Also, the crash you get selecting shave groups occur when you select those in DS, or the LAMH interface?
    In order to hide LAMH groups, you'll need to hide also the sub items as well.

edited December 1969

RawArt said:
    I just spent all day trying to render the Big Cat2 Lion with the mane....and it took 8 hours to get 15% done.
    Needless to say, I cancelled that render.
    I am now rendering with the LAMH preset for the lion...and got to 15% in less than an hour.
    ...and the fur looks so much better!!

Once again...LAMH saves a render ;)

Rawn

Great to here Rawn!

• Sand3Sand3 Posts: 99
    edited December 1969

So LAMH freezes a lot, and so I’ve just gotten in the habit of saving every two minutes or so because it seems to be the only way to make any progress at all, but last night it started freezing and shutting down DS every time I tried to select or deselect any of the guides individually (it doesn’t mind when I do a select all or a deselect all) and now I can’t do anything with it at all.

I re-installed LAMH, because I wasn’t sure I had the latest build (using Install Manager, does that work for re-install or should I download the installer itself?), and then opened it again, and it continues to do the same thing.

Considering I only have about half of Genesis’ scalp covered right now, I doubt I’m overtaxing it or anything like that.

I’ve submitted the bug-report file, but I can’t exactly sit around waiting for the bug to be fixed to finish my project, so does anybody know how I can work with this?

I’m running the 64bit version on a desktop with Win7, an Asus P8 B75-M/CSM motherboard, an Intel i7 core and an Nvidia GTX 700.

edited December 1969

Sand3 said:
    So LAMH freezes a lot, and so I’ve just gotten in the habit of saving every two minutes or so because it seems to be the only way to make any progress at all, but last night it started freezing and shutting down DS every time I tried to select or deselect any of the guides individually (it doesn’t mind when I do a select all or a deselect all) and now I can’t do anything with it at all.

I re-installed LAMH, because I wasn’t sure I had the latest build (using Install Manager, does that work for re-install or should I download the installer itself?), and then opened it again, and it continues to do the same thing.

Considering I only have about half of Genesis’ scalp covered right now, I doubt I’m overtaxing it or anything like that.

I’ve submitted the bug-report file, but I can’t exactly sit around waiting for the bug to be fixed to finish my project, so does anybody know how I can work with this?

I’m running the 64bit version on a desktop with Win7, an Asus P8 B75-M/CSM motherboard, an Intel i7 core and an Nvidia GTX 700.

Please contact me via email so that we can determine why your system is having problems.: krsears (at) trdc.biz

Kendall

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited December 1969

I am flowing this in some, shall I say, premature anticipation. I see a really nice render on the first post, that has my hopes up, along with some others later on in the thread.

On the topic of 'Non Mammal' fluffy stuff, lol.
    There is so much that has been discovered in the past few years, including the most exciting bit for CG, color. browns, blues, reds, etc. So my thought is finding some way to make some of the 3d figures in my slowly-growing collection, reflect the actual colors in the fossils, as best I can. At least from Sinosauropteryx, threw Archaeopteryx, to name two possibilities.
    http://www.amnh.org/science/specials/dinobird.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaeopteryx
    (you need not understand the text, it's the pictures I'm referring to, in the above links)

I'm not thinking that LAMH can recreate the flight feathers (especially considering there already on the 3d figure), the down, or primitive-strands is something I would like to try.

This may be a little to ambitious for someone that is still coming to grips with the basic surface tab settings in Daz Studio.

Can this LAMH at least somehow create the cool side-burns on the bottom of the chin, I've seen on some documentaries?
    (Dinosaur Revolution Episode 3, opening skit.)