How to zoom out an HDRI?

Hello,

I'm trying to make a scene inside a bar, and I'm trying to use an hdr for background in front. However the hdri is way too big and zoomed in, I set it to finite sphere and box, and tried scaling it, but it does absolutely nothing. Here's an example of how big it looks in the window.

Is there a way to zoom it out? Or should I use a picture on a plane in front of the entrance as a static background?

Comments

• FauvistFauvist Posts: 2,039

Increase the size of your interior scene, or try moving your scene away from the HDRI.  You can also make a render of the hdri background and a separate render of your interior with the windows transparent, then composit them in Photoshop.

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,515

Yes, it seems the only option inside of DAZ Studio is to resize everything else to the scale of the HDRI, including the people.

• DripDrip Posts: 1,144

The problem is, that the part of the HDRI that you want to use as background for your render, was photographed at a closer distance than where you'd want it to be for your render.

I'd go with Fauvist's solution in this case: make a wide angle render of the HDRI (so the stuff in it will look smaller), and a seperate render where you use the HDRI for lighting but don't show it, leaving the background of your image transparent. Then composite the two renders in Gimp or Photoshop.

• CMacksCMacks Posts: 202
    edited November 2020

Rotating the dome may lead to a section whose focal length more matches your scene.  Or, switch to another HDRI.  I've realized that most HDRIs have only limited sweet spots in terms of good background angles due to the location from which they are shot.  I have a directory of 50 or so HDRI images and I keep swapping them in until I find a good match. 

Post edited by CMacks on
  • MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610

Use a wider depth of field...the caveat of that being you could end up with distorted subjects (big noses, etc). It's a fine line of finding balance. 

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

Using Finite Sphere you can adjust the Dome Radius to some extent.  It gets a little weird, so you have to fiddle with it a bit.  For this kind of scene, it should be fine.  Anyway, you should be depth of fielding that background so it doesn't distract from the foreground.

Infinite Dome.jpg
    400 x 520 - 56K
    Finite Dome Radius default.jpg
    400 x 520 - 56K
    Finite Dome Radius 4.10.jpg
    400 x 520 - 79K
  • thelukok said:

Hello,

I'm trying to make a scene inside a bar, and I'm trying to use an hdr for background in front. However the hdri is way too big and zoomed in, I set it to finite sphere and box, and tried scaling it, but it does absolutely nothing. Here's an example of how big it looks in the window.

Is there a way to zoom it out? Or should I use a picture on a plane in front of the entrance as a static background?

I had a similar experience with an HDRI by Orestes. Just loading an HDRI of theirs made the gigantic "close up".

What worked for me was to load the HDRI image as usual. Then select Iray for the viewport, and set up a Working Camera-(the HDRI must be viewed through a camera to see it properly as show in the product pics)  Let the HDRI appear. Now you can rotate the HDRI image with your working camera in your viewport to find your desired part. The "nearness" and giant size  do not appear this way. Once you've decided which part of the HDRI you want to use, just stop moving the camera. This worked for me. 

• Thank you everyone. I'll try out all the suggestions and see what works the best.

• Jim EadonJim Eadon Posts: 13
    edited December 2022

Hi, in Render settings, try setting Dome mode to "Finite Sphere".

Then, voila, you get Dome Scale Multiplier slider. This kinda works, if you fiddle with the settings, e.g. try it on 20 - AND -

You also get Dome Radius - try increasing that slider too, e.g. to 400.

Of couse your own HDRI might require different numbers to the above, so it's just a case of switching on NVidia IRay preview and experimenting.

I suspect this is the solution most people would be looking for. Rather than ugly hacks with scaling stuff in the scene, or camera tricks.

Also, you can move the HDRI with the Dome origin sliders.

Camera DoF (focus) is good for blurring the HDRI a bit, if needed, too.

(I'm using the HDRIs here for the view out of windows). HTH

Jim

Post edited by Jim Eadon on