Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.12.2.60! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• Unfortunately, v4.14 still presents the same problem :-/

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/6190691/#Comment_6190691

This is a bit frustrating, to use the 3090 without Iray planes I prefer to continue with my 2x1080Ti and be able to use Iray planes in the stable version.

No news on possible solution?

Thanks!

Can you provide a scene file or set of steps to reproduce it, so Daz3d can report it to NVidia?

Sure, it's really easy:

- Open Daz

- Load G8, G3 or G1 (G1 with some skin texture) (INTERESTING NOTE: The G2 characters, specifically Genesis 2 Base Female, DO NOT present that problem!)

- Create a Iray Section Plane node (Move it a little bit the Y axis up to see part of the character)

- Activate the Iray preview and wait for it to finish (use GPU-Z or Windows resource monitor to monitor GPU usage)

- When the preview is complete and the GPU doesn't make use of the CUDA cores, simply move the perspective or camera, at this point the Iray preview will no longer work, the GPU will not be detected by the program and will require a restart; or if you try to uncheck and re-check the GPU in the advanced Iray settings, and activate the Iray preview again, Daz will give an error and shut down. (NOTE: Curiously, you can move the perspective or camera while the Iray preview isn't completely finished and it works that way; so the problem is when the preview is completely finished).

Tested on versions 4.12.2.60 and 4.14.x, with a 3090 or a 1080Ti (so it's not an exclusive problem of the new GPUs), with several drivers (Game or Studio), with W7, W10, and with a new installation of W10.

BTW, the example is using the Iray preview, but if the scene or animation is rendered the same problem happens.

Thanks!

UPDATE:
    New tests carried out indicate that the problem is related to the skin material. I had previously mentioned that, curiously, G2 Base Female didn't suffer from this problem, and that's right, BUT if you apply a G1 skin material, BOOM! The problem appears.
    On the other hand, I've tested properly G2 Base Female, doing 4 complete Iray previews, no trace of the problem... so, what's different about the material used in G2 referring to G1, G3 or G8 in order that this problem doesn't occur?

Those are slightly different steps from any I've seen before, but trying it just now I didn't get any issues and the GPU remains avaialble for rendering. Until Daz can figure out a combination of factors that reliably triggers the issue (and they have been trying) it isn't going to be possible to report the issue to nVidia.

Thank you for trying it, I didn't think it would be so difficult to replicate the problem since so many seem to suffer from it.

I have tried again, clean installation of W10, I haven't installed anything else (apart from Chrome and Winrar), I haven't even installed drivers or Windows updates.

While I was downloading Daz Central and Daz Studio v4.14.0.8, Windows installed the Nvidia driver, v456.38, and I thought that before installing a more recent one from the nvidia website I could try this one, and it failed.
    Then I closed Daz, installed the latest Nvidia Studio driver (v456.71), restarted, opened Daz to clean the error log, restarted it and tried again, same error.

Attached the LOGs of both occasions.

Steps that I have followed.
    - Open Daz
    - Load G8 Female Base
    - Create an Iray section plane (raise it a little bit to see the legs of the character rendered)
    - Activate the Iray preview and, IMPORTANT, wait until it's completed, that is, the GPU is not being used yet to finish the rendering (in the windows resource monitor, wait for the CUDA cores to drop the percentage and not be in use)
    - Move the perspective (I haven't even created a camera), and from there on it renders through CPU.

Hope that helps.

My driver is older, 452.06 - I'll try later with a more recent version but I certainly can't reproduce this right now. Actually, the GPU did fail tonight. Tried a couple of times and still getting the same result, also tried beta and General Release in case they were giving different results. Of course that doesn't mean Daz will see the same.

So, it has failed when you update the driver?
    If not, maybe it hasn't failed before because you haven't waited long enough for the Iray preview to finish completely.

It's possible I didn't wait long eniough, though I thought I had. I think you are the first reporter to stress the need for the nVidia Iray preview mode to be on first; you're certainly the first to say it has to be complete.

This is a bit frustrating, to use the 3090 without Iray planes I prefer to continue with my 2x1080Ti and be able to use Iray planes in the stable version.

Thanks!

Can you provide a scene file or set of steps to reproduce it, so Daz3d can report it to NVidia?

Sure, it's really easy:

- Open Daz

- Load G8, G3 or G1 (G1 with some skin texture) (INTERESTING NOTE: The G2 characters, specifically Genesis 2 Base Female, DO NOT present that problem!)

- Create a Iray Section Plane node (Move it a little bit the Y axis up to see part of the character)

- Activate the Iray preview and wait for it to finish (use GPU-Z or Windows resource monitor to monitor GPU usage)

- When the preview is complete and the GPU doesn't make use of the CUDA cores, simply move the perspective or camera, at this point the Iray preview will no longer work, the GPU will not be detected by the program and will require a restart; or if you try to uncheck and re-check the GPU in the advanced Iray settings, and activate the Iray preview again, Daz will give an error and shut down. (NOTE: Curiously, you can move the perspective or camera while the Iray preview isn't completely finished and it works that way; so the problem is when the preview is completely finished).

Tested on versions 4.12.2.60 and 4.14.x, with a 3090 or a 1080Ti (so it's not an exclusive problem of the new GPUs), with several drivers (Game or Studio), with W7, W10, and with a new installation of W10.

BTW, the example is using the Iray preview, but if the scene or animation is rendered the same problem happens.

Thanks!

UPDATE:
    New tests carried out indicate that the problem is related to the skin material. I had previously mentioned that, curiously, G2 Base Female didn't suffer from this problem, and that's right, BUT if you apply a G1 skin material, BOOM! The problem appears.
    On the other hand, I've tested properly G2 Base Female, doing 4 complete Iray previews, no trace of the problem... so, what's different about the material used in G2 referring to G1, G3 or G8 in order that this problem doesn't occur?

Those are slightly different steps from any I've seen before, but trying it just now I didn't get any issues and the GPU remains avaialble for rendering. Until Daz can figure out a combination of factors that reliably triggers the issue (and they have been trying) it isn't going to be possible to report the issue to nVidia.

Thank you for trying it, I didn't think it would be so difficult to replicate the problem since so many seem to suffer from it.

I have tried again, clean installation of W10, I haven't installed anything else (apart from Chrome and Winrar), I haven't even installed drivers or Windows updates.

While I was downloading Daz Central and Daz Studio v4.14.0.8, Windows installed the Nvidia driver, v456.38, and I thought that before installing a more recent one from the nvidia website I could try this one, and it failed.
    Then I closed Daz, installed the latest Nvidia Studio driver (v456.71), restarted, opened Daz to clean the error log, restarted it and tried again, same error.

- Open Daz
    - Load G8 Female Base
    - Create an Iray section plane (raise it a little bit to see the legs of the character rendered)
    - Activate the Iray preview and, IMPORTANT, wait until it's completed, that is, the GPU is not being used yet to finish the rendering (in the windows resource monitor, wait for the CUDA cores to drop the percentage and not be in use)
    - Move the perspective (I haven't even created a camera), and from there on it renders through CPU.

Hope that helps.

My driver is older, 452.06 - I'll try later with a more recent version but I certainly can't reproduce this right now. Actually, the GPU did fail tonight. Tried a couple of times and still getting the same result, also tried beta and General Release in case they were giving different results. Of course that doesn't mean Daz will see the same.

If not, maybe it hasn't failed before because you haven't waited long enough for the Iray preview to finish completely.

It's possible I didn't wait long eniough, though I thought I had. I think you are the first reporter to stress the need for the nVidia Iray preview mode to be on first; you're certainly the first to say it has to be complete.

I'm happy to be able to help and contribute with my grain of sand to the solution of the problem :-D

Indeed, if the Iray preview isn't complete, one can turn the camera around and it will work properly; one must wait until it's complete to get the error.

Anyway, that is the error in the Iray preview, but that same error also appears when you want to render the image/animation, after a few iterations the error appears and from then on it works through the CPU.

Thanks for your time!

• I also have a problem with "Iray SectionPlane Node"
    All my scenes have these planes and now they don't render, but if I delete all the 'Iray SectionPlane Nodes', the rendering happens.

This is very sad.

• capitanharlock80capitanharlock80 Posts: 36
    edited November 2020

Unfortunately, v4.14 still presents the same problem :-/

Thanks!

Sure, it's really easy:

- Open Daz

Thanks!

UPDATE:

- Open Daz
    - Load G8 Female Base

Hope that helps.

timon630 said:

I also have a problem with "Iray SectionPlane Node"
    All my scenes have these planes and now they don't render, but if I delete all the 'Iray SectionPlane Nodes', the rendering happens.

This is very sad.

OMG, it would be good to have known this before... words are coming out of my mouth that I prefer not to write here, lol

SOLUTION TO THE IRAY SECTION PLANES PROBLEM
    - Go to Render Settings (Nvidia Iray) > Section Objects
    - Enable "Section Caps Enabled"
    - ENJOY!

Now, with your permission, I'm going to cry, scream and jump at the same time :-p

Post edited by capitanharlock80 on
  • - Enable "Section Caps Enabled"

This thing creates artifacts on some materials by painting them in the selected color. For example, hair, although when it is turned off, the hair is all right.

So far, I just rolled back to 4.12. I'm Waiting for a fix.

Thanks!

Sure, it's really easy:

- Open Daz

Thanks!

UPDATE:

- Open Daz
    - Load G8 Female Base

Hope that helps.

timon630 said:

I also have a problem with "Iray SectionPlane Node"

This is very sad.

OMG, it would be good to have known this before... words are coming out of my mouth that I prefer not to write here, lol

SOLUTION TO THE IRAY SECTION PLANES PROBLEM
    - Go to Render Settings (Nvidia Iray) > Section Objects
    - Enable "Section Caps Enabled"
    - ENJOY!

Now, with your permission, I'm going to cry, scream and jump at the same time :-p

That seems to work, but it kept the GPU a lot busier for a lot longer than when it was off so it's possible it's somehow masking the effect, by not fully parking the GPU (or whatever is happening) rather than actually curing the underlying issue.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,169

What are "Section Caps"? 

Thank you. I don't understand the part about "Behaves like an opaque surface that closes the hole(s) created by intersecting objects in the scene"

What kind of "objects" is this talking about? Is an object anything loaded into DS, like a primitive or a person or a building?

How do intersecting objects create hole(s)?

Is there an example someplace of how/when to use this new setting?

• barbult said:

Thank you. I don't understand the part about "Behaves like an opaque surface that closes the hole(s) created by intersecting objects in the scene"

What kind of "objects" is this talking about? Is an object anything loaded into DS, like a primitive or a person or a building?

If the plane cuts a solid open, like the Genesis 8 figures in the tests, then turning on capping puts a new surface across the raw edges, so it is still a closed surface, using the colour selected in Render Settings.

barbult said:

If the plane cuts a solid open, like the Genesis 8 figures in the tests, then turning on capping puts a new surface across the raw edges, so it is still a closed surface, using the colour selected in Render Settings.

Thank you. So we are talking about a section plane intersecting other object(s), like a G8 figure, not two arbitrary objects intersecting each other. I get it now. 

edited November 2020

Well, I guess I don't "get it" yet. This is what I tried, and I can't make sense of it yet.

Edit: Is the problem that the truck is made up of several parts

No section plane.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    Iray section plane cap off.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    Iray section plane cap enabled.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • cajhincajhin Posts: 154

I can recreate this iRay section plane crash every time:

1. start DAZ with new empty scene
    2. create section plane
    3. translate y (of plane) to 111 (it doesn't crash with y=0)
    4. from Smart content, add figure "Benita for Victoria 8"
       (other figures may or crash after a while)
    Result: DAZ crash, 8 out of 8 times.

Debug message:
    "DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4 Public Build\libs\iray\libiray.dll" at 0033:0000000098794523, mi_plugin_factory()+1270611 byte(s)"

Notable msgs from the log:
    CUDA device 0 (GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER): Tail kernel failed after 0.002s
    CUDA device 0 (GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER): an illegal memory access was encountered (while launching CUDA renderer in <internal>:705)
    CUDA device 0 (GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER): an illegal memory access was encountered (while de-allocating memory)

*if* it is related to "de-allocating memory", this would explain why it only happens sometimes, after a while, after switching draw styles and the like.

Note: beta 4.14, rtx2070s, latest studio driver, win10
    All in iRay photoreal. In Interactive mode crashes much more often.

It seems like any intersecting geometry makes Section Cap totally confused. I don't know how it is supposed to work, but this result just seems strange to me. How does one use it effectively in a scene with real Daz Studio assets, which are usually pretty complex?

Here are an overlapping primitive cube and sphere. I expected it to look more like the Clip Lights example, but with a color controlled with the render setting.

Cube and Sphere Scetion Plane Cap On.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 296K
    Cube and Sphere Scetion Plane Cap Off Clip Lights On.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 271K
    edited November 2020
    cajhin said:

2. create section plane

Debug message:
    "DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4 Public Build\libs\iray\libiray.dll" at 0033:0000000098794523, mi_plugin_factory()+1270611 byte(s)"

CUDA device 0 (GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER): an illegal memory access was encountered (while launching CUDA renderer in <internal>:705)
    CUDA device 0 (GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER): an illegal memory access was encountered (while de-allocating memory)

*if* it is related to "de-allocating memory", this would explain why it only happens sometimes, after a while, after switching draw styles and the like.

I can recreate this following your instructions. I have a GTX 980 Ti and game driver in DS 4.14.0.8 Public Beta. If I turn on either Clip Lights or Section Cap Enable, it doesn't crash.

2020-11-13 16:05:57.898 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.2   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 980 Ti): Allocated 864.000 MiB of work space (1024k active samples in 0.000s)

2020-11-13 16:05:57.970 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.3   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 980 Ti): an illegal memory access was encountered (while launching CUDA renderer in <internal>:947)

2020-11-13 16:05:57.970 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.3   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 980 Ti): Failed to launch renderer

2020-11-13 16:05:57.974 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.2   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 980 Ti): Device failed while rendering

2020-11-13 16:05:57.974 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [WARNING] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.2   IRAY   rend warn : All available GPUs failed.

2020-11-13 16:05:57.974 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [WARNING] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.2   IRAY   rend warn : No devices activated. Enabling CPU fallback.

2020-11-13 16:05:57.977 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [WARNING] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.2   IRAY   rend warn : Re-rendering iteration because of device failure

2020-11-13 16:05:57.977 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.2   IRAY   rend error: All workers failed: aborting render

2020-11-13 16:05:57.977 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.2   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 980 Ti): an illegal memory access was encountered (while de-allocating memory)

2020-11-13 16:05:57.980 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.2   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 980 Ti): an illegal memory access was encountered (while de-allocating memory)

2020-11-13 16:05:57.980 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.2   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 980 Ti): an illegal memory access was encountered (while de-allocating memory)

2020-11-13 16:05:57.982 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.2   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 980 Ti): an illegal memory access was encountered (while de-allocating memory)

2020-11-13 16:05:57.982 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.2   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 980 Ti): an illegal memory access was encountered (while de-allocating memory)

2020-11-13 16:05:57.985 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.2   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 980 Ti): an illegal memory access was encountered (while de-allocating memory)

2020-11-13 16:05:57.985 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.2   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 980 Ti): an illegal memory access was encountered (while de-allocating memory)

2020-11-13 16:05:57.988 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.2   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 980 Ti): an illegal memory access was encountered (while de-allocating memory)

2020-11-13 16:05:57.988 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.2   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 980 Ti): an illegal memory access was encountered (while de-allocating memory)

2020-11-13 16:05:57.991 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.2   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 980 Ti): an illegal memory access was encountered (while de-allocating memory)

2020-11-13 16:05:57.991 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 980 Ti): an illegal memory access was encountered (while de-allocating memory)

2020-11-13 16:05:57.994 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 980 Ti): an illegal memory access was encountered (while de-allocating memory)

2020-11-13 16:05:57.994 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 980 Ti): an illegal memory access was encountered (while de-allocating memory)

2020-11-13 16:05:57.996 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 980 Ti): an illegal memory access was encountered (while de-allocating memory)

2020-11-13 16:05:57.997 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 980 Ti): an illegal memory access was encountered (while de-allocating memory)

2020-11-13 16:05:57.999 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : CPU: using 11 cores for rendering

2020-11-13 16:05:57.999 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Rendering with 1 device(s):

2020-11-13 16:05:57.999 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : CPU

2020-11-13 16:05:57.999 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Rendering...

2020-11-13 16:05:57.999 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.2   IRAY   rend progr: CPU: Processing scene...

2020-11-13 16:05:57.999 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.3   IRAY   rend info : Using Embree 3.10.0

Post edited by barbult on
  • cajhin said:

2. create section plane

Debug message:

Here's a possible solution, is working fine for me:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/6213281/#Comment_6213281

barbult said:

It seems like any intersecting geometry makes Section Cap totally confused. I don't know how it is supposed to work, but this result just seems strange to me. How does one use it effectively in a scene with real Daz Studio assets, which are usually pretty complex?

Here are an overlapping primitive cube and sphere. I expected it to look more like the Clip Lights example, but with a color controlled with the render setting.

Here's an example:

https://gcdn.daz3d.com/p/74225/i/interior-light-pro-for-filament-and-iray-10-daz3d.jpg

I'm not an expert in Iray/materials/etc, but I use it in indoor scenes, I can apply a HDRI dome and that light penetrates inside and it's easier to illuminate the scene, especially in low light situations; besides, Daz will only render the scene that is between the Iray planes... all this improves the lighting and reduces the rendering times considerably, as well as avoiding possible "white spots" in the image generated by lack of light.
    It's especially useful in animations, where time per frame is really important; it's not the same to take 30s/frames or 2m/frame in an animation of 500 frames or more (4h25m vs 16h40m, lol).

Here's an example:

https://gcdn.daz3d.com/p/74225/i/interior-light-pro-for-filament-and-iray-10-daz3d.jpg

I'm not an expert in Iray/materials/etc, but I use it in indoor scenes, I can apply a HDRI dome and that light penetrates inside and it's easier to illuminate the scene, especially in low light situations; besides, Daz will only render the scene that is between the Iray planes... all this improves the lighting and reduces the rendering times considerably, as well as avoiding possible "white spots" in the image generated by lack of light.
    It's especially useful in animations, where time per frame is really important; it's not the same to take 30s/frames or 2m/frame in an animation of 500 frames or more (4h25m vs 16h40m, lol).

I think I wasn't clear in my message. I am familiar with using section planes as you described, to let light in. The part I am finding puzzling is the Section Cap Enabled in Render Settings. The results are confusing to me. If the object(s) cut by the section plane are anything other than extremely trivial nonintersecting solid objects, the "cut" area does not look capped to me.

@cajhin if I remove Benita's materials by selecting all surfaces and applying a very neutral base shader, it does not crash. It must have something to do with her materials, or just with the memory use by the materials.

• barbult said:

@cajhin if I remove Benita's materials by selecting all surfaces and applying a very neutral base shader, it does not crash. It must have something to do with her materials, or just with the memory use by the materials.

It seems so, look at my tests, at the bottom of the post in "UPDATE":

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/6205951/#Comment_6205951

barbult said:

It seems so, look at my tests, at the bottom of the post in "UPDATE":

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/6205951/#Comment_6205951

Try changing SSS Mode from Chromatic to Mono. That stopped the crashing on Benita for me just now. As soon as I changed it back to Chromatic - BOOM CRASH immediately.

• If desired, sections may be closed with caps. If this mode is enabled, solid areas that were cut open by a section object are closed with a virtual surface. Note that the normal orientation will be used to determine which parts of an object to cap and that shading and geometry normals must be oriented in a consistent fashion.

https://raytracing-docs.nvidia.com/iray/manual/manual.200221.A4.pdf

• RayDAnt said:
    jbowler said:

@raydant , reading the developer's manual makes me sad. I want all of those amazing things in Daz, like being able to save when rendering, ahahahaha. ;.; but, thank you for this, because now I understand iray and iray settings a lot better. :) 

Save the render?  That's possibly simply by stopping it then restarting it.  This results in a file "r.png" in the temporary files directory which was the state of the render when it was stopped; copy the file out and rename it to something sensible.  Check the log file; help/troubleshooting/log file for the full path of the saved file.  IRC it's also possible to save the Daz scene file while the rendering is paused.

jbowler said:
    Save the render?  That's possibly simply by stopping it then restarting it.  This results in a file "r.png" in the temporary files directory which was the state of the render when it was stopped; copy the file out and rename it to something sensible.

File menu>Save Last Render. A lot of people never seem to have noticed that. No need to hunt down the temp folder, copy and rename.

Unless I am entirely mistaken @amandainjapan is talking about being able to access Daz Studio's file saving UI functions while a full Iray render is ongoing (currently all DS UI interaction is disabled any time an Iray final render window is active - an artificial restriction imposed by DS's developers in order to maintain UI consistency between Iray and 3Delight.) Iray itself has been designed from the very start to enable non-main-UI-blocking rendering activity and even multiple simultaneous independent rendering tasks. Both features all versions of DS so far have yet to take advantage of.

yes, this is what I meant.

• jbowlerjbowler Posts: 744
    Unless I am entirely mistaken @amandainjapan is talking about being able to access Daz Studio's file saving UI functions while a full Iray render is ongoing (currently all DS UI interaction is disabled any time an Iray final render window is active - an artificial restriction imposed by DS's developers in order to maintain UI consistency between Iray and 3Delight.) Iray itself has been designed from the very start to enable non-main-UI-blocking rendering activity and even multiple simultaneous independent rendering tasks. Both features all versions of DS so far have yet to take advantage of.

yes, this is what I meant.

It is as @RayDAnt says.  In my defense 1% of the time it isn't just a UI omission as I hope to explain...  At any time during an Iray render it can be paused, by pressing the "Cancel" button.  At this point the full Daz UI becomes available and you can change almost anything without affecting the render that is in progress.  Indeed, it is possible to start a new render so that there are two (or more) in progress at once and swap between them and the Daz UI using "Cancel".  The obvious missing functionality is that once one render is resumed everything else becomes unavailable until it is paused ("Cancel").

While the DAZStudio IU is available the scene can be changed without altering the paused Iray render operations.  Except that the very options available from the render window itself, if changed anywhere, will affect all the renders in progress.  This latter feature is a bug; I intend to report it as such.

I started with a fairly complex scene so that I had time to mess around with the renders.  I started one, paused it ("Cancel" in the render window) and modified the scene by translating the actor some distance to the left.  I then started a new Iray render and paused it.  At this point I was able to swap back and forth between the renders (view the "Resume" button in the respective windows) to resume/pause the relevant render.

The problem I found is that the settings available in the render windows themselves have the nasty effect of pushing the changes globally as do the same changes in the DAZStudio UI.  So while I could render what were effectively two different scenes if I changed the render settings that are modifiable directly from the render window that changed every render I had in progress.  I did change the guassian filter pixel radius in just one window and it did, indeed, abort all the renders.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Running two renders from the same DS instance seems like a very poor idea, as they would be writing to the same file.  If you used two instances of DS they would be insulated from each other, assuming you're using recent versions.

• Does anyone knows when will the DForce plugin crash be fixed or whether there is a workaround for this? Currently, my Daz studio will only start if I remove Dforce from the plugin folder, which made many of my Dforce scenes useless. The problem wasn't fixed with the 4.14 update.
    Much appreciated any advice or updates.

• Powersoup said:

Does anyone knows when will the DForce plugin crash be fixed or whether there is a workaround for this? Currently, my Daz studio will only start if I remove Dforce from the plugin folder, which made many of my Dforce scenes useless. The problem wasn't fixed with the 4.14 update.

We need more details, e.g. OS, video card, etc.

• Powersoup said:

Does anyone knows when will the DForce plugin crash be fixed or whether there is a workaround for this? Currently, my Daz studio will only start if I remove Dforce from the plugin folder, which made many of my Dforce scenes useless. The problem wasn't fixed with the 4.14 update.

What dForce crash? Have you reproted it? What happens, what does the log show (if anything)?

• jbowlerjbowler Posts: 744

Running two renders from the same DS instance seems like a very poor idea, as they would be writing to the same file.  If you used two instances of DS they would be insulated from each other, assuming you're using recent versions.

They don't write to a file until the rendering stops, either because it has been paused or it has finished, and the file, renders/r.png, in the temporary directory is there for "Save Last Render..."; so far as I can see it has no other purpose.  The main issue here is that the UI is frozen when it doesn't need to be.  Having multiple renders actually running at once is impossible because the "Resume" button is disabled on all the other Render windows once it has been click on one, but being able to do that would just be icing on the cake; for example it would allow multiple frames of an Iray animation to be rendered in parallel.  It also trivially allows multiple camera renders of the same scene in parallel; maybe if @ManFriday's render queue was enhanced to use -instanceName that would be almost as good but given the time to load a scene for those of us with a large product library starting a new instance is just a PITA.

One important thing though; if I forget to save the scene file before I start a long Iray render I simply cancel the render, save the file, and resume.  Then I can load the scene file in another instance and continue working on it.  This happens a lot with animations; I use these for dForce so that I can see the intermediate dForce state and can control the original pose; changing a memorized pose when the character has been posed is almost impossible as it has to be done blind.  So I end up with one single image at the end of the animation time line, which I render (I make sure it is fully keyed) then, while the render is progressiing, I extend the time line and generate a new derived pose at the end.

• RayDAntRayDAnt Posts: 1,120
    edited November 2020

Running two renders from the same DS instance seems like a very poor idea, as they would be writing to the same file.

@jbowler has it correct above. Iray Contexts do not rely on conflicting resources to complete their tasks (This isn't an accident - Iray is specifically designed to support multiple simultaneous render contexts during use.) While there are very real issues (described very well here - also by @jdbowler) with having multiple render Contexts open/active in Daz Studio at any given time, these are an unintended side effect of Daz's developers having originally modeled their Iray plugin implementation scheme after 3Delight's (for the obovious reasons) and then having never really bothered to expand the implementation scheme beyond that - despite Iray being capable of a whole lot more.

This is true in other areas as well. Take for example how Daz Studio currently implements (or not) animated sequence rendering using Iray. Right now Daz Studio does this by sequentially creating/waiting for render completion/destroying a sequence of separate Iray Render Contexts (one for each frame.) This is analogous to how 3Delight functions. In the meantime Iray has long-standing built-in support for using just a single Render Context to render multi-frame animated sequences (functionality at least partially already on display in Daz Studio's use of Iray for live-view purposes.)  Which - when fully implemented - should all but eliminate the following issues that often dog those attempting to use Daz Studio to render animations:

• Periodic render engine initialization waiting periods
    • Memory re-allocation battles
    • Inter-frame memory leaks
    • Failure of more than a single frame to be rendered out of a sequence when remote rendering to an Iray Server instance via Iray Bridge.

Post edited by RayDAnt on
  • I have 2 Titan V's, 16GB of RAM and an i7 processor. I also just bought $1,197 worth of assets and licences, and I cannot render ANYTHING with this Godforsaken Beta version. I am seriously infuriated at the sheer lack of functionality this "upgrade" has brought us. From the responses on the forum many people are just as upset as I am. Give me back 4.12 and don't force "BETA" test software on the general public!!! Work out the bugs FIRST before making it a MANDATORY download and update....