Daz Studio 4.14 Pro, General Release!

Comments

• jbowlerjbowler Posts: 741

You could also wait a few mins or 3 and see if it will close gracefully before terminating the process.

When in the task manager check the "CPU activity".  If it is steady at 0% with periodic jumps (every few seconds) to under 1% then it is the no-exit bug; kill it.  If the CPU activity is approaching 100% of a CPU (divide by the number of CPUs you have to get the actual percentage) then it is the close-down code and it will exit after a few seconds or, for larger scenes/product libraries, a few minutes.  This is a general observation; if any app is present after/during closedown with no CPU activity it's hung on something.  It might be the network or a faulty disk drive but in the Daz case I can see there is no network activity after Daz Connect has finished syncing and I know I don't have disk problems.

Load time depends on how many G8F characters and morph packages you have installed, because it loads all the morphs from these.

Hah!  Thanks for that piece of information.  I figured it had to be something like this because my load time and, for that matter, close down time have been going up as I bought more of those $1.99 characters.  It also seemed that the people who complained have ginormous product libraries.

I guess I now understand why DIM has the option to install to different product libraries; then individual libraries can be disabled in the content manager pane of Daz.  This might avoid a problem I have when I accidentally click on the "create key frame" button for a character in an animation - it takes forever because of all the spurious, unused, character morph properties it is copying.  These days I *never* create a key frame for figure/properties, or if I do I immediately delete it (an even longer wait than creating it.)

This sort of thing also happens with most other applications that need a computer's full attention, especially if thhere are other things running at the same time. Windows (10) Update will totally bork a computer's behavior if it's doing its thing in the supposed background.

Go into the W10 task manager, sort the list by "network" (bandwidth used) and at the top you will find a mysterious thing called "Delivery Optimization".  Kill it; check the check-box to say you know what you are doing.  Wait; it will come back, kill it again.  It takes a double-tap then it is dead (but check to make sure).  At this point "Windows Update" in Settings should say that an update has failed; it can be manually restarted at your convenience.  There is no other way I could find (and I have been searching for years) to stop W10 consuming all my internet bandwidth.  At least Apple, who used to do the same thing, have stopped with regard to the 3GByte iOS 14 download.

• Reinstalled Daz again to give the application another chance. It's a bit distressing to go and try to click on the help only to find that all the links are broken. Makes one hell of an impression… Most likely it is experiences like this that made me uninstalled DAZ the last time.

failure to shut down fully is a known issue for some users. What isn't known is why it happens to them. DS will take a while to close after working on a busy scene, but that should be a matter of minutes, perhaps tens of minutes, on most systems.

I hit pretty much a dead end; having disabled every single plug-in in the beta it still hung, I believe in libneuray.dll (see the bug report).  At this point I have de-installed the beta and am re-installing it on the basis that it might have been something in my configuration.  I did delete all the AppData stuff for the beta but I can't remember if that clears all the config.  I'm gravitating to the idea that the never-exit bug (as opposed to the perhaps understood takes-a-long-time-to-exit bug) is a function of some debug setting in the beta build.

• f7eerf7eer Posts: 116

Why is DS 4.14.0.8 making icons out of everything in the render folder? I don't want it to do this. Is there a way to stop it?

I organize my projects by folder, and I do my renders to image folders within each project.

For every file called "foo.jpg", it creates a small, low resolution icon file called "foo_jpg_icon.png", so when I am viewing them as a gallery or a slide show, I get my beautiful, full-screen high-resolution render, followed by an ugly full-screen low-resolution version of my beautiful render!

• Holy Moly you guys!!!

I used Filament just fine for getting an animation put together, but not well enough to run it for the render, so I switched to Iray. OMG!!!

Little Lara Thorne and her Bronwyn Hair are fricken Spectacular! Dropped in an HDRI for both lighting and an environment and set up Iray for speed - something I just kinda started picking up on how to do... kinda.

Well my animation is rendering at roughly a minute per frame, give or take, and the results look fantastic!

Filament is amazing! Even if I stick with Iray for my final renders, Filament looks gorgeous at its absurdly fast render speed!

Wow. Just... Wow!

Great Job! Thanks Team Daz 3D!!!

Haha that's an awesome render.

And yeah filament for many of us animators is looking good as a big step up.

+1 on Thanks Daz! heart (actually wrote that the 1st day of filament release in threads, but worth repeating again.  smiley)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106

I'm sorry I'm so excited. I just never really used Daz Studio like this. I still have a hard time animating because I haven't had time to discover the new tools yet - but that's next.

Here's my very first (ever) animated render using Iray. I use DS all the time, and love it! I just usually do all of my animating in Carrara. This release looks like a real game-changer... or at least the beginnings of one!

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,061

What is minimum nVidia driver version for DS 4.14, please?  Can't find it.

• Seven193 said:

In the highlights thread.

• Seven193 said:

451.06 I think (not sure about the last digits)

• f7eer said:

Why is DS 4.14.0.8 making icons out of everything in the render folder? I don't want it to do this. Is there a way to stop it?

I organize my projects by folder, and I do my renders to image folders within each project.

For every file called "foo.jpg", it creates a small, low resolution icon file called "foo_jpg_icon.png", so when I am viewing them as a gallery or a slide show, I get my beautiful, full-screen high-resolution render, followed by an ugly full-screen low-resolution version of my beautiful render!

This isn't new. If the folder you are looking at is in a Render Library (Render Library pane options menu, the lined button in the top corner or right-click the tab, gives access to the Render Library Manager) then all image files will get a thumbnail generated. If you wish to avoid this point the Render Library to a non-image folder, and chnage the save location at the bottom of the render window to folder instead of library (or just use File>Save Last Render)

• In general, how stable is it if you're not doing animation?  Right now, I'm mostly interested in trying out Filament.

I use DS for approx 16 hours a day, it is stable. Which version of DS do you have installed now?

• jbowler said:

but I can't even see how they are used, unless they match the changes I make in those setting and thus become saved with the scene? 

Yes, they are saved with the scene.  They always were saved with the scene.  Those settings are scene+camera+frame specific however.  If you load an existing (pre 4.14) scene on which any of the relevant options have been set it appears with Tonemapper and Environment options nodes.  My understanding is that these are just the scene-global data copied to scene nodes.  If you set "viewport" rendering in the Rendering tab the tonemapper and environment options disappear; mostly they weren't used with the viewport and *most* of them aren't used with Filament rendering, but now if you click on the relevant new nodes it is possible to set the settings.

Unfortunately this is half implemented; I can only have one "Environment", which is probably reasonable, but I can't animate the Sun-Sky settings (e.g. to do a time-lapse sunset).  In fact the only properties that can be animated are translate/rotate/scale and these properties are actually hidden...  Likewise I can't have per-camera tone mapping settings, I can move the Tonemapper Options node to a camera but I cannot create a second one.   Much more important I can't animate the all important EV in tone mapping - this is the only part of TM that filament rendering uses (it uses a fixed gamma encoding and no true tonemapping).  This means I still can't adjust the exposure as I pan a camera; a long standing issue with Daz which makes it all but impossible to do real-world tracking-camera type animations.

To make the point with a real example; I just stood in the middle of my living room with my camera and panned the camera through 360 degrees.  The exposure (fixed aperture/shutter) went from ISO4000 to ISO200 and that is with a 36mm(35mm equiv) focal length.  So that is an EV 4.3 exposure range from a single position and using what I consider to be a wide angle lens.  For another example think of entering a building from the outside; there are about 5s of the room being dark before we adapt.  It does seem that filament rendering is doing some kind of global adjustment to HDRI exposure; I generated a 360 degree rotate movie of a similar scene to my living room (actually an HDRI of my office) and the HDRI settings required in the environment were completely different to the Iray ones - the map intensity went from 0.01 with Iray to approximately the default (1.0) with filament.  However the adaption is global - at EV13 the windows are over-exposed and the room under-exposed.

It's all very promising, but some work is required; these bugs (no per-camera exposure, no exposure animation) have been in Daz since I started using it and are very obvious; I can animate the camera aperture but it only affects the depth of field, not the exposure!

Part of the reason for the new Singleton nodes is that similar settings are split between Draw Settings and Render Settings, depending on context (Iray render vs Filament DrawStyle) - and there have been very recent posts from people finding this confusing. Uniting them in a single node, which can be accessed through the Parameters pane like most other settings, is a way to make things more accessible (though it isn't at the expense of the old method, so previous tutorials should still be good). These are the first examples of the idea, there may well be future additions and enhancements to add some of the things you hope for.

jbowler said:

Like everytime I create a group I have to remember to type my group name into the second line because anything typed in the first one is ignored for a group numbered by the program

Yep, that's really annoying too, it applies to everything I think - "name" and "label" are synonyms in the language I speak but Daz seems to ascribe extra meaning to them.

Label is user-facing, name is internal - the label can be changed without consequence, the name cannot be changed with impunity.

• same non opening issue with the version the last version of 4,12 which has the override to prevent there being two copies open.

----
    I wonder if there's a correlation between how much data you have .. whether you have external drives etc. 
    ---
    I think Jack or Richard pointed out you can use 4.12 beta at the same time?
    ----
    I still have older versions of 4.12 that don't care about other ones being open and I can use those if doing something that doesn't require the latest and greatest features

• In general, how stable is it if you're not doing animation?  Right now, I'm mostly interested in trying out Filament.

I use DS for approx 16 hours a day, it is stable. Which version of DS do you have installed now?

If your installed 4.12.1.118 is the General Release, then you can install the Public Beta build to test Filament.

Label is user-facing, name is internal - the label can be changed without consequence, the name cannot be changed with impunity.

Ok; request 354805 that only the name appear in the creation dialog.  I commented on the issue of the labels having to be unique; I can see that names have to be unique if the internal structure used in Daz is a database, not the object hierarchy that is implied, but that doesn't apply to labels, however:

Then, if I try to rename it:

Daz creation names.PNG
    Daz creation names 2.PNG
    edited November 2020

same non opening issue with the version the last version of 4,12 which has the override to prevent there being two copies open.

Kill the "DAZStudio" background process that you can find from W10 TaskManager, or if the same issue exists in Apple's UN*X, "ps".  The work-round (to stop it happening again; it doesn't fix the bug) is in this comment:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/6211146/#Comment_6211146

It's towards the end of the comment.

If that doesn't work; i.e. if you can start a DAZStudio 4.14.0.8 once but never again (without killing the background process) then I think it would be a good thing if you, along with everyone else, submit a ticket with such information as you have.  I find it incredibly annoying and, while I have worked round it myself, I'm not inclined to simply blame Daz; if more people had submitted tickets against the beta maybe this wouldn't have happened.  It's still Daz's fault though.

Post edited by jbowler on
  • valzheimervalzheimer Posts: 519
    edited November 2020
    3DRT said:
    duralumin said:

Hi all - this newest version is working very well for me with a couple of strange exceptions - if I close down studio for whatever reason...I'm unable to re-open the program unless I restart my computer. While performing the restarts, I'm randomly (not always) notified that a program is interfering with the restart and needs to be closed (I'm assuming this is Daz as this has not happened before the newest version install). Also, when closing down Daz - it prompts me to save even if a scene is not currently loaded - have not experienced this before the newest version. I'm sure these things will iron themselves out - just curious if anyone has experienced same. Thanks!

I have the exact same issue. A temporary workaround is to open up Task Manager and look under Processes for DAZ Studio Application and kill that process manually. 

You could also wait a few mins or 3 and see if it will close gracefully before terminating the process.

I want to echo that this same issue existed in DS 4.12 with users who had Octane plugin installed, and it persists in 4.14 with or without Octane, but now with Filament and without it. I tried disabling Filament in plugins and my DS 4.14 just doesn't close on itself anymore after the upgrade, not after couple of minutes, not after 45 minutes. I trully hope the issue is closely investigated and is looking at any kind of resolution as it is now clear that Octane render wasn't an issue, and Otoy has thrown the ball back to Daz court over a year ago saying the issue is on the Daz end. 

Post edited by valzheimer on
  • DekeDeke Posts: 1,602

I hit the download button and it takes me to a page that lists my previous purchases. How do I download the update through Safari?

• kaislispkaislisp Posts: 24
    edited November 2020

Since downloading, my program won't open anymore. Full stop. It was running perfectly fine yesterday, then I closed it to download the update. As soon as it updated, the program won't even load. I have an imac retina, 5k with a 4.2 GHz quad-cor intel core i7 processor. I have plenty of room. I've reinstalled everything including daz itself twice. I thought in order to fix the problem, I should update my computer in general and maybe that will fix it. I'm now running macos Big Sur 11.0.1. Now I'm getting this error both for Daz Studio and the install manager. I'm extremely frustrated and about to reinstall everything all over again. I've submitted a help ticket but no ones gotten back to me yet and I'm getting desperate since I rely on this program for work. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Edit: So I saw other people with mac's talking about this, but I'm very confused. Is this update not for mac users? And if not, why did it show up in my DIM and why wasn't it stated on the page? will this even work for mac users? Or has it just messed up my program completely since downloading? Is there any way I can go back to the previous update or get this one to work? 

Another Edit: I've tried to uninstall it entirely from my computer. but now redownloading them doesnt work AT ALL. I cant open the programs and I cant even uninstall Daz Studio. The uninstall manager wont even come up and I'm terrified of losing all my saved files. 

Screen_Shot_2020-11-12_at_9.47.29_PM.png
    1028 x 586 - 97K
    Post edited by kaislisp on
  • f7eerf7eer Posts: 116
    f7eer said:

This isn't new. If the folder you are looking at is in a Render Library (Render Library pane options menu, the lined button in the top corner or right-click the tab, gives access to the Render Library Manager) then all image files will get a thumbnail generated. If you wish to avoid this point the Render Library to a non-image folder, and chnage the save location at the bottom of the render window to folder instead of library (or just use File>Save Last Render)

Thanks, Richard. I'll check the Render Library Manager to see what's going on.

• Took three hours to figure out how to upgrade to studio 4.14. Now I wish I hadn't. Will not render anything.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Took three hours to figure out how to upgrade to studio 4.14. Now I wish I hadn't. Will not render anything.

NVidia driver version?

• Fails to load macOS Big Sur. Install Manager does not load. Crashes out. Tried to remove and install. Does install, still does not load. Created a test user with admin rights. Same thing. I think some testing may be needed. Posted a crash log if you are actally interested. 

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,495

I had to go back to 4.12, 4.14 keeps reverting to CPU again. 

• The culprit for Big Sur seems to be libstdc++.6.dylib. If that's the case it's rather odd because libstdc++ was deprecated five years ago in favor of libc++.

Relevant part of the error in question:

Termination Reason:    DYLD, [0x1] Library missing

Application Specific Information:
    dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries

Dyld Error Message:
      dyld: No shared cache present
    Library not loaded: /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib
      Referenced from: /Applications/DAZ 3D/*/DAZStudio.app/Contents/MacOS/DAZStudio
      Reason: image not found

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106
    Deke said:

I hit the download button and it takes me to a page that lists my previous purchases. How do I download the update through Safari?

Go to the place with your previous purchases and Search for Daz Studio

• TBubble said:

The culprit for Big Sur seems to be libstdc++.6.dylib. If that's the case it's rather odd because libstdc++ was deprecated five years ago in favor of libc++.

Relevant part of the error in question:

Termination Reason:    DYLD, [0x1] Library missing

Application Specific Information:
    dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries

Dyld Error Message:
      dyld: No shared cache present
    Library not loaded: /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib
      Referenced from: /Applications/DAZ 3D/*/DAZStudio.app/Contents/MacOS/DAZStudio
      Reason: image not found

Are you having the same issue? Daz doesn't work on my imac that ive just updated to Big Sur and I'm so confused? It wont even open on my macbook, which is still running on Catalina. The program wont even come up. I can't even uninstall it. 

• Fails to load macOS Big Sur. Install Manager does not load. Crashes out. Tried to remove and install. Does install, still does not load. Created a test user with admin rights. Same thing. I think some testing may be needed. Posted a crash log if you are actally interested. 

I am having the same exact issue. The program won't load. I can't even uninstall it. I was ready to go buy a 2TB harddrive, backup my entire computer, and try again. Thankfully yall are having the same problem, because I thought I was completely alone and it was only me having this issue.