Daz Studio 4.14 Pro, General Release!

Comments

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,714

Looks very nice, and so fast rendering too.

Would be ever better if G8F characters didn't take SOOOOOOOOOOOO long to load... By the way, if any trick to reduce loading time exists anywhere else on this forum, i would love to see it.

Load time depends on how many G8F characters and morph packages you have installed, because it loads all the morphs from these.

• I installed it using DIM.

First render stopped with error, probably because a Windows update (W10 64 home) downloaded in the background.

Installed the Windows update. Reboot.

Reinstalled Nvidia drivers (I do that after each Windows upgrade). Reboot.

Now my monitor goes black randomly when using Daz. Feature?

• alienarea said:

I installed it using DIM.

First render stopped with error, probably because a Windows update (W10 64 home) downloaded in the background.

What is the driver version?

• alienarea said:

For Nvidia? Studio 456.71 released 10/20/2020.

• alienarea said:
    alienarea said:

I assume it randomly goes black during rendering? Iray or Filament?

• lowtech said:

If I'm Using DAZ Studio 4.12.0.86, do I need to backup my user Data before updating to 4.14? My Runtime is 584GB's, so I'd rather not do that.

I would hope you're doing that anyway.  I lost my content drive twice in one year and, trust me, it's a total pain to have to rebuild it.

• In general, how stable is it if you're not doing animation?  Right now, I'm mostly interested in trying out Filament.

• In general, how stable is it if you're not doing animation?  Right now, I'm mostly interested in trying out Filament.

I use DS for approx 16 hours a day, it is stable. Which version of DS do you have installed now?

• alienarea said:
    alienarea said:

It randomly goes black on off before rendering. 

• alienarea said:
    alienarea said:
    alienarea said:

It randomly goes black on off before rendering. 

Sounds like the scene may be too big for the GPUs memory. What are your render settings (Render Settings pane - Advanced tab)?

• areg5areg5 Posts: 617
    edited November 2020

FYI: I have two computers using  Daz Studio, an AMD based threadripper with 2180 TiX2 and 1080TiX1 which is my main rendering server, and an intel base with 1080 TiX2.  Both were running the nividia driver 456.55.  First off, the install itself was a bit of a chore. DIM didn't want to do it until 4.12 was uninstalled.  After installation, the AMD based system did not use the video cards and just gave me a black screen.  Didn't even fall back to CPU.  The intel based system did in fact render.  On the AMD system, I uninstalled the video driver with DDU, and did a clean install of the latest Nvidia driver, 457.30.  Then it worked.

Post edited by areg5 on
  • IllidanstormIllidanstorm Posts: 655
    edited November 2020

The iray section plane problem still exist for me too

DAZ, WHY WOULD YOU RELEASE THIS IF YOU KNEW THIS PROBLEM STILL EXISTS. [GOOD GRACIOUS]

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • The iray section plane problem still exist for me too

DAZ, WHY WOULD YOU RELEASE THIS IF YOU KNEW THIS PROBLEM STILL EXISTS. [GOOD GRACIOUS]

Because it doesn't affect every user, and Daz can't reproduce it?

• foleypro said:

In this new build did the SDK get updated to reflect the new engine...?

SDK version chnages are noted in the change log. The minimum version has not changed, so plug ins will still work.

•  

Still not possible to save a character with all the morphs in the new Daz 4.14. Great....sad

What do you mean?

I created a character, with my own morphs and saved that as a character preset, morphs not showing up. Have several problems. Materials not changing, crashes, sometimes it simply doesn't start.....angry. Last 7 minutes it starts, then shuts down with no error report....

How are you using the character preset - custom morphs are expected to load if you use the preset to load a new figure, not if it is applied to an existing figure in the scene.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106
    edited November 2020

Holy Moly you guys!!!

Okay, some of you Daz 3D Devs may know me for the die hard Carrara user that I am - I am. I Love Carrara!

Well I've been incredibly hyped about everything that's been going into Daz Studio over the past years - ever since 4.0, but I never really used it as my animation/render studio - just all of the amazing, incredibly handy and powerful tools it has.

This whole Filament thing along with (I haven't found/figured them out yet) the new Animation tools has really got me jazzed.

When another Carrara user turned me on to the Beta with Filament, I gave it a bit of a try - not much time invested into it - but it was cool enough to get me to start putting a bunch of Daz Studio info on my site so that my readers and myself can learn and grow with this thing.

Well one of my awesome readers sponsored me a gift card, which I used to get a cool Genesis 8 Female character and hair for her just last night so I could install and try the new Daz Studio as soon as my Carrara renders were complete.

Oh Man!!! 

Okay, I have a lot of Steph videos to watch so I can wrap my head around where things are. I used Filament just fine for getting an animation put together, but not well enough to run it for the render, so I switched to Iray. OMG!!!

Little Lara Thorne and her Bronwyn Hair are fricken Spectacular! Dropped in an HDRI for both lighting and an environment and set up Iray for speed - something I just kinda started picking up on how to do... kinda.

Well my animation is rendering at roughly a minute per frame, give or take, and the results look fantastic!

Filament is amazing! Even if I stick with Iray for my final renders, Filament looks gorgeous at its absurdly fast render speed!

I know I saw Steph working in a Graph Editor and some other new animation tools. I have to look into that stuff and see how far this adventure takes me!

Now I need to get my hands on Linday's Classic Long Curly Hair with dForce and I bet I could make a Daz Studio Genesis 8 Female version of my Rosie character (My hero, fashioned after my lovely wife)! Lara makes a stunningly similar Rosie 8 - on the right is Rosie 5, a cross-generation Genesis 1 Female (click the image to see the intro video of her)

Wow. Just... Wow!

Great Job! Thanks Team Daz 3D!!!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

I even have a meager system for this stuff - 

• Ryzen 2nd Gen 2700 octa-core
    • GTX 1660 6GB
    • 64GB RAM

So I'm running Iray using both GPU and CPU and it's running great!

I had one crash, but it truly felt like it was my fault, switching from Iray in my viewport to Filament right in the middle of a bunch of setting changes - Iray was busy busy busy.

Installation via DIM went without a hitch, but I just installed the latest nVidia driver to run the Beta. I wonder if that made the difference.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,133
    edited November 2020

What happen to daz 4.13? is number 13 a superstitious thing for daz tech? lol Just kidding . Thank you for the bug fixes and update. look forward to messing with it

Post edited by Ivy on
  • Hi all - this newest version is working very well for me with a couple of strange exceptions - if I close down studio for whatever reason...I'm unable to re-open the program unless I restart my computer. While performing the restarts, I'm randomly (not always) notified that a program is interfering with the restart and needs to be closed (I'm assuming this is Daz as this has not happened before the newest version install). Also, when closing down Daz - it prompts me to save even if a scene is not currently loaded - have not experienced this before the newest version. I'm sure these things will iron themselves out - just curious if anyone has experienced same. Thanks!

• 3DRT3DRT Posts: 61
    duralumin said:

Hi all - this newest version is working very well for me with a couple of strange exceptions - if I close down studio for whatever reason...I'm unable to re-open the program unless I restart my computer. While performing the restarts, I'm randomly (not always) notified that a program is interfering with the restart and needs to be closed (I'm assuming this is Daz as this has not happened before the newest version install). Also, when closing down Daz - it prompts me to save even if a scene is not currently loaded - have not experienced this before the newest version. I'm sure these things will iron themselves out - just curious if anyone has experienced same. Thanks!

I have the exact same issue. A temporary workaround is to open up Task Manager and look under Processes for DAZ Studio Application and kill that process manually. 

• 3DRT said:
    duralumin said:

Hi all - this newest version is working very well for me with a couple of strange exceptions - if I close down studio for whatever reason...I'm unable to re-open the program unless I restart my computer. While performing the restarts, I'm randomly (not always) notified that a program is interfering with the restart and needs to be closed (I'm assuming this is Daz as this has not happened before the newest version install). Also, when closing down Daz - it prompts me to save even if a scene is not currently loaded - have not experienced this before the newest version. I'm sure these things will iron themselves out - just curious if anyone has experienced same. Thanks!

I have the exact same issue. A temporary workaround is to open up Task Manager and look under Processes for DAZ Studio Application and kill that process manually. 

You could also wait a few mins or 3 and see if it will close gracefully before terminating the process.

• duralumin said:

failure to shut down fully is a known issue for some users. What isn't known is why it happens to them. DS will take a while to close after working on a busy scene, but that should be a matter of minutes, perhaps tens of minutes, on most systems.

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723
    3DRT said:

Is anyone else experiencing an issue with 4.14 where after exiting Studio, a background process keeps running and needs to be killed via Task Manager?

It is a known issue, which is currently being investigated. That said, wait a few mins or so for it to closes gracefully.

This happened on a previous update too, but it didn't take too long to fix. It would be great if the known issues section in the first post could be updated, unless there is a different page for that?

duralumin said:

failure to shut down fully is a known issue for some users. What isn't known is why it happens to them. DS will take a while to close after working on a busy scene, but that should be a matter of minutes, perhaps tens of minutes, on most systems.

This sort of thing also happens with most other applications that need a computer's full attention, especially if thhere are other things running at the same time. Windows (10) Update will totally bork a computer's behavior if it's doing its thing in the supposed background.

When I have rendering to to, or even when I'm working on a large scene, I disconnect from the internet, shut everything else down, run C-Cleaner, then launch my software to work. I look through hidden apps and shut them down as well, like Dropbox, for example.

• jbowlerjbowler Posts: 741
    edited November 2020

but I can't even see how they are used, unless they match the changes I make in those setting and thus become saved with the scene? 

Yes, they are saved with the scene.  They always were saved with the scene.  Those settings are scene+camera+frame specific however.  If you load an existing (pre 4.14) scene on which any of the relevant options have been set it appears with Tonemapper and Environment options nodes.  My understanding is that these are just the scene-global data copied to scene nodes.  If you set "viewport" rendering in the Rendering tab the tonemapper and environment options disappear; mostly they weren't used with the viewport and *most* of them aren't used with Filament rendering, but now if you click on the relevant new nodes it is possible to set the settings.

Unfortunately this is half implemented; I can only have one "Environment", which is probably reasonable, but I can't animate the Sun-Sky settings (e.g. to do a time-lapse sunset).  In fact the only properties that can be animated are translate/rotate/scale and these properties are actually hidden...  Likewise I can't have per-camera tone mapping settings, I can move the Tonemapper Options node to a camera but I cannot create a second one.   Much more important I can't animate the all important EV in tone mapping - this is the only part of TM that filament rendering uses (it uses a fixed gamma encoding and no true tonemapping).  This means I still can't adjust the exposure as I pan a camera; a long standing issue with Daz which makes it all but impossible to do real-world tracking-camera type animations.

To make the point with a real example; I just stood in the middle of my living room with my camera and panned the camera through 360 degrees.  The exposure (fixed aperture/shutter) went from ISO4000 to ISO200 and that is with a 36mm(35mm equiv) focal length.  So that is an EV 4.3 exposure range from a single position and using what I consider to be a wide angle lens.  For another example think of entering a building from the outside; there are about 5s of the room being dark before we adapt.  It does seem that filament rendering is doing some kind of global adjustment to HDRI exposure; I generated a 360 degree rotate movie of a similar scene to my living room (actually an HDRI of my office) and the HDRI settings required in the environment were completely different to the Iray ones - the map intensity went from 0.01 with Iray to approximately the default (1.0) with filament.  However the adaption is global - at EV13 the windows are over-exposed and the room under-exposed.

It's all very promising, but some work is required; these bugs (no per-camera exposure, no exposure animation) have been in Daz since I started using it and are very obvious; I can animate the camera aperture but it only affects the depth of field, not the exposure!

Like everytime I create a group I have to remember to type my group name into the second line because anything typed in the first one is ignored for a group numbered by the program

Yep, that's really annoying too, it applies to everything I think - "name" and "label" are synonyms in the language I speak but Daz seems to ascribe extra meaning to them.

Post edited by jbowler on
  • kenmokenmo Posts: 895

Daz 4.14 launchs fine how after closing DAZ subsequent attempts to launch fail unless I reboot Windows.

I7-4770S - 32 gigs of DDR3 memory, GTX 1060 with 6 gbs of video memory - Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit

Anyone else having this issue?

• duralumin said:

This sort of thing also happens with most other applications that need a computer's full attention, especially if thhere are other things running at the same time. Windows (10) Update will totally bork a computer's behavior if it's doing its thing in the supposed background.

When I have rendering to to, or even when I'm working on a large scene, I disconnect from the internet, shut everything else down, run C-Cleaner, then launch my software to work. I look through hidden apps and shut them down as well, like Dropbox, for example.

• I appreciate everyone's feedback. Until newest version nothing like this had happened at all. I'm sure nothing to worry about - just curious if it had happened to anyone else. Again - thanks for all feedback.

• kenmo said:

Daz 4.14 launchs fine how after closing DAZ subsequent attempts to launch fail unless I reboot Windows.

I7-4770S - 32 gigs of DDR3 memory, GTX 1060 with 6 gbs of video memory - Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit

Anyone else having this issue?

See earlier posts. No need to reboot, either wait a min or 3 for DS to close, or terminate the DAZ process in Task Manager.

• kenmokenmo Posts: 895

Thanks very much Doctor Jellybean, worked like a charm. Hopefully there will be a patch or update for this.