Daz Studio 4.14 Pro, General Release!

Daz SoftwareDaz Software Posts: 35
edited December 2020 in Daz Studio Discussion

Daz 3D is pleased to announce Daz Studio 4.14 Pro General Release!

• Version: 4.14.0.10
  • Date: December 2, 2020

Highlights:

Important Notes:

!! IF YOU HAVE NOT UPGRADED TO THE 4.9 GENERAL RELEASE, IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED THAT YOU BACKUP YOUR CONTENT DATABASE IN DAZ STUDIO 4.x BEFORE LAUNCHING THIS VERSION !!

How do I backup my User Data in Daz Studio?

!! IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY MIGRATED FROM THE VALENTINA DB BASED CMS, IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED THAT YOU MIGRATE TO THE POSTGRESQL BASED CMS BEFORE LAUNCHING THIS VERSION !!

Has the Content Management Service (CMS) changed?

For anyone using a pre-4.9.x build of Daz Studio:

• The first time you launch Daz Studio 4.9+, any data that exists in the content database is migrated so that it can be used in Daz Studio 4.9+.
  • The amount of time the database migration operation takes is proportional to the amount of data to be migrated.
  • The database migration operation does not delete the data that it migrates from the previous location so that it remains accessible by earlier versions and other applications, such as Carrara.
  • Daz Studio 4.9+ uses the same PostgreSQL database as Daz Studio 4.6 and later, and/or other applications, such as Carrara.
  • A portion of the data contained within the database is shared amongst versions but not entirely. For example:
    • Creating a category in either Daz Studio 4.9+ or 4.8 will cause that category to exist in the other version
    • Assigning a file to that category in Daz Studio 4.9+ will NOT cause that file to be assigned to that category in Daz Studio 4.8
    • Assigning a file to that category in Daz Studio 4.8 WILL cause the file to be assigned to the category in Daz Studio 4.9+
  • Reseting the database in any version of Daz Studio that uses PostgreSQL (e.g., 4.6 or later) will purge all of data in the database, including any data that may be used by earlier versions or other applications, such as Carrara.
  • After the initial migration operation, edited metadata in Daz Studio 4.8 will not be migrated to Daz Studio 4.9+.
    • A workaround is to export User Data from Daz Studio 4.8 and reimport User Data in Daz Studio 4.9+.

Known Issues:

• All Platforms
    • Fixed in the 4.14.0.10 build​
      • If the "Show IPR Toolbar" action (Aux Viewport pane Option Menu) is activated, but the Aux Viewport pane has not been shown during a given session, the application is likley to hang while attempting to close
        • Workaround for those who have not updated:
          • In the Aux Viewport pane Option Menu, deactivate the "Show IPR Toolbar" action
          • - OR -
          • Copy the following script, paste it into the Script IDE pane, and execute:
            (function(){		var oActionMgr = MainWindow ? MainWindow.getActionMgr() : undefined;	var oAction = oActionMgr ? oActionMgr.findAction( "DzAuxVPShowIPRToolBarAction" ) : undefined;	if( oAction ){		oAction.checked = false;	}	})();
  • macOS
    • Not compatible with Big Sur
    • Installation via Install Manager/DazCentral is recommended
      • Installation via standalone application/plugin installers may require an addition to Gatekeeper's exceptions and approved application launch list (via the Command Line)

Frequently Asked Questions:

Public Beta Threads:

• 4.14.1.38 (December 23, 2020)
    • 4.14.1.28 (December 15, 2020)
    • 4.14.1.22 (December 4, 2020)
    • 4.14.0.10 (November 24, 2020)
    • 4.14.0.8 (November 10, 2020)
  • 4.12.2.60 (October 23, 2020)
    • 4.12.2.54 (October 16, 2020)
    • 4.12.2.51 (October 13, 2020)
    • 4.12.2.6 (May 12, 2020)

Previous General Releases:

Post edited by rbtwhiz on

Comments

• iSeeThisiSeeThis Posts: 552

Animated morphing bugs are gone. Thank you!

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,978
    edited November 2020

I find the moving of the environment and tonemapping options, from the render settings tab to the scene tab both interesting and head scratching.. What I can't understand why the change, and as for those options to even show up you have to start a iRay render..

Post edited by Ghosty12 on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312
    Ghosty12 said:

I find the moving of the environment and tonemapping options, from the render settings tab to the scene tab both interesting and head scratching.. What I can't understand why the change, and as for those options to even show up you have to start a iRay render..

According to the video (its out of date though alot of the titles/labels have changed) you add it from the create menu and then they appear in the Parameters tab

• Where exactly is Fillament? Or is this another 'Windows Only' type deal, because I can't for the life of me find it. D;

• Nice! Animated morphing bugs are gone!

Ty vm ))

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,978
    scorpio said:
    Ghosty12 said:

According to the video (its out of date though alot of the titles/labels have changed) you add it from the create menu and then they appear in the Parameters tab

Ahh k thank you for the info, eitherway still strange to me why the change was made.. I can gather it is probably due to Filament being slowly introduced..

• Looks very nice, and so fast rendering too.

Would be ever better if G8F characters didn't take SOOOOOOOOOOOO long to load... By the way, if any trick to reduce loading time exists anywhere else on this forum, i would love to see it.

• jcowb1jcowb1 Posts: 56

I can't download it. I am running the latest DIM  and studio version 4.12.1.118 . I have tried every way that I know to download it but nothing happens. Any advice?

• Where exactly is Fillament? Or is this another 'Windows Only' type deal, because I can't for the life of me find it. D;

• Real-Time Rendering
      • Added a real-time physically-based rendering option to the DrawStyle Options menu in viewports
        • Filament (PBR) - Implements the Filament renderer as a DrawStyle
        • Requires Windows (currently), 64-bit, OpenGL > 4.1
        • Automatic translation of applicable/compatible properties in the Iray Uber shader for real-time display
        • Automatic translation of applicable/compatible properties in the DAZ Studio Default shader for real-time display

I'm also hoping it won't be long before we see it on MacOS

• Real-Time Rendering
      • Added a real-time physically-based rendering option to the DrawStyle Options menu in viewports
        • Filament (PBR) - Implements the Filament renderer as a DrawStyle
        • Requires Windows (currently), 64-bit, OpenGL > 4.1
        • Automatic translation of applicable/compatible properties in the Iray Uber shader for real-time display
        • Automatic translation of applicable/compatible properties in the DAZ Studio Default shader for real-time display

I'm also hoping it won't be long before we see it on MacOS

This is the part where the Price is Right losing sound is played. 

Ah well. Here's hoping it's sooner than expected for us Mac users!

• Does anyone know exactly what the "Updates and fine-tuning to Studio Animation capabilities" are mentioned here https://www.daz3d.com/filament-hub?  Daz has a tendency to be frustratingly vague about what it is they actually updated.  When I click "Learn More" it just says "Daz Studio 4.14 was designed with animation in mind. The Filament Viewport and Render Engine shows your work at near-real time and produces photo-realistic results in a fraction of the time of other render engines. Studio 4.14 also includes advancements to the Animation Timeline and Genesis 8 & 3 animation capabilities, and Daz is developing a new line of Animation products to help you create in 3D."

It doesn't really state what these alleged advancements to the Animation Timeline and Gen 3/8 figures are.

• Oh my gosh, this is amazing. On Friday I got my new computer with the 3090 graphics card in it, couldn't render in the regular release due to not being supported so I've been using the beta build that introduced filament. Yesterday I was rendering a shot for my animated submission for the Movember contest in the beta that each frame was taking about a minute and 5 seconds to get to 80% completion. I just opened up the exact same shot just to see if the new general release supported the 3090 and it loaded in the preview window lightning fast. Then I clicked render and the same shot rendered to 80% in 10 seconds. I stopped it and bumped it up to 90% because why not get better quality if you can and it is taking 30 seconds to render. This is amazing! I was getting kind of worried that I'd be getting down to the wire with my submission, but now I am not worried at all as I have everything animated it's just rendering it all out which I should be able to get done with by the end of the weekend!

Also, just for speed reference, this same shot took me a little over 3 minutes on my GTX 1080tI to render a frame. 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922
    edited November 2020

Does anyone know exactly what the "Updates and fine-tuning to Studio Animation capabilities" are mentioned here https://www.daz3d.com/filament-hub?  Daz has a tendency to be frustratingly vague about what it is they actually updated.  When I click "Learn More" it just says "Daz Studio 4.14 was designed with animation in mind. The Filament Viewport and Render Engine shows your work at near-real time and produces photo-realistic results in a fraction of the time of other render engines. Studio 4.14 also includes advancements to the Animation Timeline and Genesis 8 & 3 animation capabilities, and Daz is developing a new line of Animation products to help you create in 3D."

It doesn't really state what these alleged advancements to the Animation Timeline and Gen 3/8 figures are.

Well earlier they had directly integrated the KeyMate & GraphMate plugin functionality to the Timeline Animation. They added & improved creating IK chains directly in DAZ Studio. That's the gist of what they did but it had many bugs but perhaps 4.14 fixes all of those bugs. You'd think it fixes most of them.

The one thing I'd like to see is a contact solver. i.e. A character that is animated to walk's feet make contact with the floor / ground and the animation system contact solves the walk animation and adjusts it so that the feet stay on the surface of the floor/ground. Similarly, an animation places a skillet on a stove burner and the animation system contact solves the placing of the skillet on the stove by not letting it go below the surface of the stove burner. However, now you starting to talk about a physics simulation system like used in game engines and that's probably beyond their desired scope, at least in the short term.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • Does anyone know exactly what the "Updates and fine-tuning to Studio Animation capabilities" are mentioned here https://www.daz3d.com/filament-hub?  Daz has a tendency to be frustratingly vague about what it is they actually updated.  When I click "Learn More" it just says "Daz Studio 4.14 was designed with animation in mind. The Filament Viewport and Render Engine shows your work at near-real time and produces photo-realistic results in a fraction of the time of other render engines. Studio 4.14 also includes advancements to the Animation Timeline and Genesis 8 & 3 animation capabilities, and Daz is developing a new line of Animation products to help you create in 3D."

Well earlier they had directly integrated the KeyMate & GraphMate plugin functionality to the Timeline Animation. They added & improved creating IK chains directly in DAZ Studio. That's the gist of what they did but it had many bugs but perhaps 4.14 fixes all of those bugs. You'd think it fixes most of them.

The one thing I'd like to see is a contact solver. i.e. A character that is animated to walk's feet make contact with the floor / ground and the animation system contact solves the walk animation and adjusts it so that the feet stay on the surface of the floor/ground. Similarly, an animation places a skillet on a stove burner and the animation system contact solves the placing of the skillet on the stove by not letting it go below the surface of the stove burner. However, now you starting to talk about a physics simulation system like used in game engines and that's probably beyond their desired scope, at least in the short term.

With the new venture into Filament being aimed at real-time, I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing more physics potential including contact solvers.  I'd also love to see Daz become more capable of simulations including fire, water, smoke, etc.

• 3DRT3DRT Posts: 61

Is anyone else experiencing an issue with 4.14 where after exiting Studio, a background process keeps running and needs to be killed via Task Manager?

• 3DRT said:

Is anyone else experiencing an issue with 4.14 where after exiting Studio, a background process keeps running and needs to be killed via Task Manager?

It is a known issue, which is currently being investigated. That said, wait a few mins or so for it to closes gracefully.

• edited November 2020

one of the improvements we ALL want to see with Daz3d is pins that pin the limbs and not actually move still - its one of the most frustrating things that surely is easily fixed???. I dont understand why this still hasnt been addressed. 

One of the advantages of Genesis 2 is when you use active pose with pin, generally the pin actually fixes the limb in place - although it was too easy to destroy the rigging of the figure in the process and the lack of bones made the character not move as naturally.

With Gen 8 we have increbile bone structure for the rigging and great additions to power pose - however limb pins just dont work very well with active pose (which I think is a far more useful and natural pose tool) - I find the universal tool to move the IK is very slow to use and clunky.  

Also Mcasual made an increaible FREE script years ago that allows limbs to track nodes which is a huge game changer to animating - why hasnt Daz3d integrated something like this yet? it makes a huge advantage to when characters interact with each other or hold objects with two hands etc. 

Also can Daz3d bring out something like Animate 2 that works with Gen 8 and that isnt frustratingly buggy and old. Its an amazing plugin but with a lot of flaws as the compnay who made it disppeared. something like this would be a game changer for Daz3d as I think its animation capabilities could be made stronger. Daz3d timeline is horrendous to use. I much prefer keymate and graphmate - although they need updating too so its easier to read.  

rant over.... not too much to ask ;)

Post edited by rhyswootton_8e77ccf5f4 on
  • one of the improvements we ALL want to see with Daz3d is pins that pin the limbs and not actually move still - its one of the most frustrating things that surely is easily fixed???. I dont understand why this still hasnt been addressed. 

One of the advantages of Genesis 2 is when you use active pose with pin, generally the pin actually fixes the limb in place - although it was too easy to destroy the rigging of the figure in the process and the lack of bones made the character not move as naturally.

With Gen 8 we have increbile bone structure for the rigging and great additions to power pose - however limb pins just dont work very well with active pose (which I think is a far more useful and natural pose tool) - I find the universal tool to move the IK is very slow to use and clunky.  

Also Mcasual made an increaible FREE script years ago that allows limbs to track nodes which is a huge game changer to animating - why hasnt Daz3d integrated something like this yet? it makes a huge advantage to when characters interact with each other or hold objects with two hands etc. 

Also can Daz3d bring out something like Animate 2 that works with Gen 8 and that isnt frustratingly buggy and old. Its an amazing plugin but with a lot of flaws as the compnay who made it disppeared. something like this would be a game changer for Daz3d as I think its animation capabilities could be made stronger. Daz3d timeline is horrendous to use. I much prefer keymate and graphmate - although they need updating too so its easier to read.  

rant over.... not too much to ask ;)

I agree. The pin system is not very reliable for most figures and the feet sliding drives me up the wall.  We really need some sort of level of quality similar to Rigify that Blender has.  I don't know why these sort of things have not been addressed.

• What kind of hardware does Filament require?  Anything more powerful that what Iray takes?

• What kind of hardware does Filament require?  Anything more powerful that what Iray takes?

Requires Windows (currently), 64-bit, OpenGL > 4.1

• Oh, I've got all that.  But my video card is a GTX 970 with 4gb so I was concerned about whether I needed to bite the bullet and get a new video card for this.

• Oh, I've got all that.  But my video card is a GTX 970 with 4gb so I was concerned about whether I needed to bite the bullet and get a new video card for this.

It's actually the other way around, Should make rendering decent images possible much faster for people using only cpu or old gpus (or amd).

I'm also interested in knowing what exactly are the improvements to animations workflow, only thing I read in the changelog was some bug fixes for animate2 and for the timeline stuff like the hidden keyframes still not showing despite the option being turned on (you had to turn it off and on again).

A newer video card will be better in a lot of ways, but you can always experiment with Filament in your current setup.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited November 2020

..OK so I gather that FIlament is primarly best for animations.  As I don't bother with animating are there any other advantages to updating? 

Still working with the 4.12.0.47 beta as it was more stable than the 4.12 general release.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • jbowlerjbowler Posts: 742
    kyoto kid said:

..OK so O gather that FIlament is primarly best for animations.  As I don't bother with animating are there any other advantages to updating? 

The filament preview is pretty much as fast as texture preview but a lot closer to the Iray render.  Lighting seems to mismatch still; there are mismatches I haven't worked out what they are yet, but overall appearance particularly with expressions is a lot better.

• jbowler said:
    kyoto kid said:

..OK so O gather that FIlament is primarly best for animations.  As I don't bother with animating are there any other advantages to updating? 

The filament preview is pretty much as fast as texture preview but a lot closer to the Iray render.  Lighting seems to mismatch still; there are mismatches I haven't worked out what they are yet, but overall appearance particularly with expressions is a lot better.

That's cool!  I mostly use the preview to confirm positioning of my lights so that would help a lot.

• Thank you, Daz!

• StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,660

What kind of hardware does Filament require?  Anything more powerful that what Iray takes?

Thank you, it was hard to figure this out. I have a Mac, and it wasn't clear at first why I couldn't find it in the dropdown. It might be helpful if this was noted on the announcement pages. Is there a sense of when Mac support might be added?

• jbowlerjbowler Posts: 742
    jbowler said:
    kyoto kid said:

That's cool!  I mostly use the preview to confirm positioning of my lights so that would help a lot.

It would help me a lot if Daz, or anyone, (@Richard Haseltine?) could explain which of the light sources work in filament:

1. Daz lights (definately seem to work).
    2. Environments; Sun-Sky (seems to work), HDRI (not sure about this)
    3. Emissive surfaces (always a bit weird because they are calibrated to EV0; 100 lumens needs to be 819200 lumens when tone mapping at EV13 with Iray).

I also noticed that someone commented about an "ISO" parameter needing to be set to "0.56" in filament to get the lights to match, IRC that was specific to HDRIs.

Normally when lighting a scene I turn off tone mapping and get the lights right one by one, then I turn the tone mapping back on and set the EV to 0.  This really shouldn't work - the image should come out too flat because of the viewer correction required by such low light levels but Daz/Iray don't seem to do any viewer corrections when tone mapping.

Thank you, it was hard to figure this out. I have a Mac, and it wasn't clear at first why I couldn't find it in the dropdown. It might be helpful if this was noted on the announcement pages. Is there a sense of when Mac support might be added?

It is in the highlights thread.