Painting on UV maps

SikSavantSikSavant Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Is there any way to paint or texture my own UV map in studio? I'm looking for the ability to paint and texture right on the mesh so the seams all line up as they should. I've tried the MLIE and it's fine for some work, but it can't wrap a new texture across seam edges, it just cuts them off. Is there a tool for OSX that would let me paint in this way as long as I own the mesh and the UV map? Does the Content Creation Toolkit let me do this? Thanx in advance!

Comments

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

No.
    Use Bodypaint, ZBrush, 3DCoat...

• foleyprofoleypro Posts: 442
    edited December 1969

Gimp,PSP,Photoshop,...

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Blacksmith - free!

• SikSavantSikSavant Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Ok, thanx gang! Those are some good suggestions. I own PS but not sure if its extended or not, and Blacksmith for free sounds like its worth checking out! Cheers!

• edited July 2012

It looks like the Save/Export function of Blacksmith is disabled, so what good is it other than to see if you like it?

Post edited by richardgaray_c9b7eb2acb on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited December 1969

Sculptris does 3D paint I believe as does Blender

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited July 2012

I use UVMapper (the free version) and Photoshop. Any version of Photoshop should allow you to open a file, paint on top of it and save it.
    UVMapper works on Win and Mac.
    http://www.uvmapper.com/downloads.html

Post edited by StratDragon on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited December 1969

The desire is for projection painting, so that seams can be painted across, not 2d painting on a template. Fortunately there are now a lot of tools that offer that, as mentioned above.

• SikSavantSikSavant Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

In addition to the tools mentioned (I have not had a chance to examine them, yet), I downloaded Hexagon 2.5 since it's free from DAZ, and after launching it, there seems to be a full on mesh painting facility, but I'll be darned if I can make it work. I'm guessing a good four hours of running some tutorials or such would be of immense help here.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

The mesh painting capabilities in Hexagon are very very basic. Carrara has better ones and even those are all in all not very good.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited December 1969

actually I find Carrara 3D paint very good but did not mention it as the OP was seeking free programs.
    it is dependent on the uv mapping of the mesh used and the texture map size and works best for creating basic outlines to produce a guide for extra detailed work in a 2D image editor like Gimp, MSpaint and ofcourse photoshop which I do not have.
    Working with 4000x4000 + pixel texture sizes and a very small brush size I find I can do quite detailed (albeit in my case not terribly artistic) work depending on the uv mapping of the object
    there will invariably be seams with some distortion somewhere but altering the uv's can move those too, I find planar mapping best but often have to change the projection to get a better result.

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,798
    edited December 1969

I use Carrara 7 to paint over seams with no problem. I am not sure if it is common knowledge that Carrara paints just fine over seams.