DAZ Studio Pro 4.6.3.52, General Release, Now Available for Download!

Comments

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,061
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Well as it turns out the path to the CMS was wrong in the Preferences tab for it so I set it right and then all my Smart Content went poof again. So much work for this....

The path shown in preferences is the active PG CMS - so when you changed the path you created a new, empty CMS. Un-install and re-install the migration tool OR re-import your metadata to reload it.

• scotchfairyscotchfairy Posts: 54
    edited December 1969

So I got everything migrated and running again. At least as much as it was before. I assume ProstgresSQL is running from both this line in Activity Monitor

6149  cvmsComp_x86_64  leethompson-herbert  0.0  1  6.1 MB  Intel (64 bit)

and the fact that the "Turn on CMS" button and menu option works.

However, Smart Content has NEVER worked on this Mac (had a long discussion with Support over it, several times in the past). I'm moderately annoyed to see that I once again after all this work have CONTENT but not SMART Content. And quite a few items seem to be there, but not showing up, because the icon files were named incorrectly for the current incarnation of DS.

So do I need to do the whole uninstall/install ritual, accompanied by dancing around the box naked at midnight with a a dead chicken to get Smart Content to work?

(I think I reached the point of diminishing returns a while back...most of my free time for artwork is spent pounding on this ball of software, rather than actually drawing. Not what I intended when I first installed a little over a year ago)

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Did you Re-Import Metadata? If Smart Content wasn't working before, then there was probably nothing transferred from the old database.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

namffuak said:
    RAMWolff said:
    Well as it turns out the path to the CMS was wrong in the Preferences tab for it so I set it right and then all my Smart Content went poof again. So much work for this....

The path shown in preferences is the active PG CMS - so when you changed the path you created a new, empty CMS. Un-install and re-install the migration tool OR re-import your metadata to reload it.

Actually no, it must have read it from an older file. That path no longer exists, trust me on that. When I wanted to upgrade to Win 8.1 my Admin privileges in the "Store" were a mess so MS tech walked me through creating a NEW account to restore those privileges. So now I'm good to go but have more work to do with installations and all that. MOST programs were fine, even ZBrush but DAZ Studio, besides my content "My Library" and other similar folders were fine but the main program, while there, had to be re-activated. So no, the old "Richard" path is long gone. Not sure where it was reading that info from but it wasn't from a path that exists. It's OK. I did manage to get the Smart Content back. But I still need to know if the tool for the PostgrSQL migration is to be found within the DS program to make sure that was done properly. Or if it's been done automatically then how does one tell that?

Thanks

• HeatherleeaHeatherleea Posts: 247
    edited December 1969

Installed the newest version yesterday and it worked, today it won't open keeps crashing, guess I will roll back to an earlier version dang it.

• stump3point1stump3point1 Posts: 139
    edited December 1969

I went through this this thread and counted posts that pertained to the actual program and NOT installation problems due to CMS and DIM and counted 11 posts.... out of 19 pages of of this thread.

It's obvious(with each update so far) that the Install Manager may be too sophisticated for a lot of people's Systems or understanding. Every time I visit the forum I check this thread to see what issues people are having with the base program and see thread upon thread of DIM and CMS issues with each DAZ Studio update since the inception of CMS. Apparently DAZ Studio itself must be running alright for everyone including myself.

I wonder what I'm doing right as I have not had any, if not at all, the problems being reported on with DIM so my interest is with the base program when visiting this thread and I'm beginning to wonder if maybe CMS is a little more complicated then necessary for some systems now.

It might be time to rethink this stuff where CMS is concerned or this may be (as the the trend is showing) regular occurrence with all future updates.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Installed the newest version yesterday and it worked, today it won't open keeps crashing, guess I will roll back to an earlier version dang it.
    Please file a support ticket. Perhaps we can resolve this for you.
    edited December 1969

stumpc said:
    I went through this this thread and counted posts that pertained to the actual program and NOT installation problems due to CMS and DIM and counted 11 posts.... out of 19 pages of of this thread.

It's obvious(with each update so far) that the Install Manager may be too sophisticated for a lot of people's Systems or understanding. Every time I visit the forum I check this thread to see what issues people are having with the base program and see thread upon thread of DIM and CMS issues with each DAZ Studio update since the inception of CMS. Apparently DAZ Studio itself must be running alright for everyone including myself.

I wonder what I'm doing right as I have not had any, if not at all, the problems being reported on with DIM so my interest is with the base program when visiting this thread and I'm beginning to wonder if maybe CMS is a little more complicated then necessary for some systems now.

It might be time to rethink this stuff where CMS is concerned or this may be (as the the trend is showing) regular occurrence with all future updates.

We did rethink CMS, which is why we are now recommending PostgreSQL. :)

Note because of the issues experienced with the Valentina Server, and the resulting corrupt databases we did anticipate some issues with database conversion, which is why we have a knowledge base article on the conversion. :) When we realized what was causing database corruption, we knew that we had to come up with a new solution, which is why we switched to PostgreSQL.

Most of the complaints about the database conversion, that you are seeing, has to do with corrupt databases, even if they were not corrupt to the point of failing with Valentina.

• HeatherleeaHeatherleea Posts: 247
    edited December 1969

will do when I get home at lunch time

edited December 1969

will do when I get home at lunch timeThanks

edited December 1969

Hi Spooky,

Simple question... How can one tell that their Smart Content is now updated and using the PostgreSQL? If for some reason it's not then what is the right procedure to make the the conversion?

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Hi Spooky,

Simple question... How can one tell that their Smart Content is now updated and using the PostgreSQL? If for some reason it's not then what is the right procedure to make the the conversion?

In your DAZ Studio log it will tell you what CMS it is connected to. If it says 4.8 then it is still Valentina. If it says PostgreSQL then it is PostgreSQL. That is the most sure way to tell.

Make sure DS is not running (Check task manager, remember DS takes a few to shut down, even after it is no longer on your screen.) then uninstall PostgreSQL and reinstall PostgreSQL, should fix it.

edited June 2014

RAMWolff said:
    Hi Spooky,

Simple question... How can one tell that their Smart Content is now updated and using the PostgreSQL? If for some reason it's not then what is the right procedure to make the the conversion? In your DAZ Studio log it will tell you what CMS it is connected to. If it says 4.8 then it is still Valentina. If it says PostgreSQL then it is PostgreSQL. That is the most sure way to tell.

Make sure DS is not running (Check task manager, remember DS takes a few to shut down, even after it is no longer on your screen.) then uninstall PostgreSQL and reinstall PostgreSQL, should fix it.

I think I'm gold then.... :-)

OpenGL features for current hardware:
    OpenGL provider: NVIDIA Corporation
    OpenGL renderer: GeForce GTX 650/PCIe/SSE2
    OpenGL version: 4.4.0
    Maximum number of lights: 8
    Number of auxiliary buffers: 4
    Number of texture units: 4
    Depth buffer bit resolution: 24
    Maximum OpenGL texture size: 16384 x 16384
    Current OpenGL Texture Quality Setting: Good Performance
    RGBA color bitplane resolutions: 8 8 8 0
    GLSL version: 4.40 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
    Shadow mapping supported
    VBO supported
    Connected to CMS: PostgreSQL 9.3.4, compiled by Visual C++ build 1600, 64-bit
    *** Scene Cleared ***
    Loading plug-ins:

Post edited by RAMWolff on
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:

*** Scene Cleared ***
    Loading plug-ins:
    So you are using PostgreSQL.
  • CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,
    Just a note, @DAZ_Spooky, it was probably lost in the noise, having been posted before a long weekend, but DAZ Studio is REALLY chatty with the PostgreSQL server. It doesn't make much difference when talking to localhost, but talking over even a little bit of a network link it becomes bog-slow.

For example, I notice it commits every action, even when it's doing a bulk set of operations, instead of wrapping the set of operations in a transaction and committing at the end. Also when I go to a directory in Content Manager the first time, it seems to send a bunch of information about the items in that directory to the database...not sure what it's doing (probably the 'new' flagging stuff?) but it slows it down a bit.

Most of this only matters for me because I was trying to set up a central CMS database server for all my systems. It worked which is amazingly awesome, but it's almost too slow to use, unfortunately. (I now have a database with 2590 entries in tblProduct, populated over the long weekend...)

dazcms=# select count(*) from "tblProduct";
     count
    -------

Oh, and I also had the white-out screen where DAZ Studio lost all its styling. I had to uninstall and reinstall to get it to work again.

-- Morgan

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:

*** Scene Cleared ***
    Loading plug-ins:
    So you are using PostgreSQL.

**RELIEF** Moving on now... thanks! ;-)~

edited December 1969

Cypherfox said:

Oh, and I also had the white-out screen where DAZ Studio lost all its styling. I had to uninstall and reinstall to get it to work again.

-- Morgan

In most cases that is a symptom of DAZ Studio still running during Install. In which case the only answer is Uninstall and re-install. Your OS will not allow you to delete something it is currently using, which messes up the install.

As for the Database being slow over a network due to amount of data, while it can be made to function over a network, that is not the designed purpose.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

We did rethink CMS, which is why we are now recommending PostgreSQL. :)

Note because of the issues experienced with the Valentina Server, and the resulting corrupt databases we did anticipate some issues with database conversion, which is why we have a knowledge base article on the conversion. :) When we realized what was causing database corruption, we knew that we had to come up with a new solution, which is why we switched to PostgreSQL.

Most of the complaints about the database conversion, that you are seeing, has to do with corrupt databases, even if they were not corrupt to the point of failing with Valentina.

I was one of the lucky ones because I knew my valentina db was corrupt. Thus I didn't even bother with the conversion and populated the new db via metadata import.

• VitachickVitachick Posts: 135
    edited December 1969

Fantastic job! This update will get me using Daz once again...

• Mage 13X13Mage 13X13 Posts: 433
    edited December 1969

I know this thread most likely has instructions posted for proper downloading and installation of the update using the DIM, and how to successfully download and install the new database; PostgreSQL. The thing is that this thread has gotten so long now that finding that info would involve more time than I can spare.

I cannot say for sure but I believe my current database Valentina is corrupt. My reason for believing this is because of two things:
    1. Originally when new products from DAZ 3D were installed into DAZ Studio, there would be the word "New" pasted across the Thumbnails in the Smart Content and the Content Library. These things ceased after I downloaded and installed one of the last builds of DAZ Studio, and the feature that allows us to mark all content as seen stopped working.
    2. I am constantly having to re-import the metadata and restart my computer after installing new products through the DIM, or saving anything I make into my presets, such as poses, morphs, shaders, textures, etc. As soon as these actions have been completed, all metadata disappears, and the Smart Content does not work.

There may be other things occurring concerning this as well, so my questions are as follows:
    1. Based on what I have posted here concerning how the content is acting, is the Valentina database corrupt?
    2. If so, when I download and install the PostgreSQL database and install it, what should I do to keep the corrupt database from affecting it?
    3. As I will be trying for the first time to download and install the New build of DAZ Studio through the DIM, what if anything do I need to know and do for a successful installation?
    Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
    Stay Awesome!

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited June 2014

There may be other things occurring concerning this as well, so my questions are as follows:
    1. Based on what I have posted here concerning how the content is acting, is the Valentina database corrupt?
    2. If so, when I download and install the PostgreSQL database and install it, what should I do to keep the corrupt database from affecting it?
    3. As I will be trying for the first time to download and install the New build of DAZ Studio through the DIM, what if anything do I need to know and do for a successful installation?
    Stay Awesome!

1. Sounds like it could be but not 100% sure.
    2. Be sure that DAZ Studio is Closed and NOT running. Use Task manager to double check.
    Stop the CMS from running, you should have a Start stop file in the Start menu folder of DAZ Studio for Windows.
    Delete the OLD Database folder from your PC before you do any of the Installs.
    3. Install the DAZ Studio Update by itself first in DIM. Do not multi select and install, just do DAZ Studio.
    Once it is installed then you can multi select the other updates and install.
    4. Re-Boot your PC after the full package is installed. Run DAZ Studio and do a clean Re-Import of Metadata.
    You should now be running fully as long as all paths are correct in the Content Directory manager.

If all went right with Smart now working In DAZ Studio. Check with DAZ Studio running by Task Manager if PosterSQL is running, You should have several instances. If it is you can un-Install the Valentina CMS unless you use Carrara 8.5 which uses it as well.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
  • Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

6) Fixed #DS-29 : Fixed an issue with Photoshop 3D Bridge scene preview/updating

I just noticed this. Finally after so many versions the bridge fully works. Thanks!
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Stay Awesome!

2. Be sure that DAZ Studio is Closed and NOT running. Use Task manager to double check.
    Stop the CMS from running, you should have a Start stop file in the Start menu folder of DAZ Studio for Windows.
    3. Install the DAZ Studio Update by itself first in DIM. Do not multi select and install, just do DAZ Studio.
    4. Re-Boot your PC after the full package is installed. Run DAZ Studio and do a clean Re-Import of Metadata.
    You should now be running fully as long as all paths are correct in the Content Directory manager.

If all went right with Smart now working In DAZ Studio. Check with DAZ Studio running by Task Manager if PosterSQL is running, You should have several instances. If it is you can un-Install the Valentina CMS unless you use Carrara 8.5 which uses it as well.
    Thank you for your response. I do not have Carrara in any of its incarnations; however, I do have Bryce 7.1 and Hexagon 2.5. Neither of them use the Valentina CMS as far as I know.

As much as I would like to get all of this done right away, it is very late for me here and I shall have to get to bed. Then I can come at it with fresh eyes tomorrow. I do want to be rid of any database that will not work correctly, so I shall follow your advice to the letter.

Again, Thanks!

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Stay Awesome!

Number 4 should not be required.

Number 2 is only required if you are not going to switch to using PostgreSQL. If you are going to switch to PostgreSQL, highly recommended unless you are using Carrara 8.5, then Install that and DAZ Studio first. Do not download and install the Valentina to PostgreSQL conversion utility.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Stay Awesome!

Number 2 is only required if you are not going to switch to using PostgreSQL. If you are going to switch to PostgreSQL, highly recommended unless you are using Carrara 8.5, then Install that and DAZ Studio first. Do not download and install the Valentina to PostgreSQL conversion utility.
    So even if the Valentina is not corrupt, can I uninstall it, and install the PostgreSQL? In what order should I do that? I'm thinking that after downloading and installing DAZ Studio's latest build, I should then download and install the PostgreSQL. Once that is done I should uninstall the Valentina, and then import all my metadata to ensure that it goes to that instead of to the older one. Is that the correct procedure? If not, what procedure should I folllow?

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Stay Awesome!

So even if the Valentina is not corrupt, can I uninstall it, and install the PostgreSQL? In what order should I do that? I'm thinking that after downloading and installing DAZ Studio's latest build, I should then download and install the PostgreSQL. Once that is done I should uninstall the Valentina, and then import all my metadata to ensure that it goes to that instead of to the older one. Is that the correct procedure? If not, what procedure should I folllow?

I recommend the following order.
    1. Open DAZ Studio
    2. Export Userdata
    (Skip 1 and 2 if you have never added any userdata or if you know your Database is highly corrupt.)
    3. Close DAZ Studio and make sure it is finished closing before proceeding to step 4.
    4. Download and install PostgreSQL
    5. Download and install DS
    6. Download and install everything else.
    7. Start DS either while Install Manager is open, but after it is finished installing, or wait a few seconds after shutting down Install Manager, or if the Smart Content pane has a start CMS button in the bottom left corner push the button. (There is a timing issue if you shutdown Install Manager and open DS too soon after shutting down Install Manager. )
    8. Reimport Metadata with the Userdata overrides product data box checked.

If this works correctly and smoothly, you can stop the Valentina Service and remove the old databases and uninstall Valentina without losing anything, unless you also use Carrara.

edited June 2014

1. Open DAZ Studio
    2. Export Userdata
    (Skip 1 and 2 if you have never added any userdata or if you know your Database is highly corrupt.)
    3. Close DAZ Studio and make sure it is finished closing before proceeding to step 4.
    7. Start DS either while Install Manager is open, but after it is finished installing, or wait a few seconds after shutting down Install Manager, or if the Smart Content pane has a start CMS button in the bottom left corner push the button. (There is a timing issue if you shutdown Install Manager and open DS too soon after shutting down Install Manager. )

If this works correctly and smoothly, you can stop the Valentina Service and remove the old databases and uninstall Valentina without losing anything, unless you also use Carrara.
    OK, when you mention Userdata, is that like content I have created and saved in DS? For instance let's say I created a hand pose and saved it as an asset in DAZ Studio Formats>My Library>Presets>Poses. Would that be considered as Userdata? Or would anything I saved in the Scene Subsets or Scenes folder be considered Userdata? I have also made some morphs for Genesis, which are accessible in the Parameters tab. Would they be considered Userdata also?

Sorry about the way the quote was posted in this message. I was trying to clean out repeated quotes and must have went too far with the deletions. lol

Post edited by Mage 13X13 on
    edited June 2014

1. Open DAZ Studio
    2. Export Userdata

OK, when you mention Userdata, is that like content I have created and saved in DS? For instance let's say I created a hand pose and saved it as an asset in DAZ Studio Formats>My Library>Presets>Poses. Would that be considered as Userdata? Or would anything I saved in the Scene Subsets or Scenes folder be considered Userdata? I have also made some morphs for Genesis, which are accessible in the Parameters tab. Would they be considered Userdata also?

Sorry about the way the quote was posted in this message. I was trying to clean out repeated quotes and must have went too far with the deletions. lol

All of those items which show up in the Smart Content Tab would be userdata, even if they show up under unassigned.

Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
    edited December 1969

My pose presets, morphs, and the one shader I made do not show in the Smart Content. There are several things that do under Unassigned, 306 files so all of that would need to be exported. OK, so that would be my first step; opening DAZ Studio, exporting all of that Userdata, and then proceed from there?

Suppose that I no longer want that showing in my Smart Content; should I still do this. I am afraid that the Valentina Database is corrupt, and if I import the old Userdata into the PostgreSQL, it will cause problems. As all of those files that are in the Unassigned part of my Smart Content are also found in the DAZ Studio Formats>My Library> Scene Subsets, and Scenes folders, Won't that stay there through this process? I ask this because when the Smart Content stops working, I can still access the files in the Content Library. It seem to me that this would be the case even if I don't export my Userdata. All the other files in my Content Library are from various vendors which have been installed in one or another of the conventional ways, or by using the DIM. The paths to those files are set so that DAZ Studio can find them and give me access to them. As for the Userdata you mentioned, there are really just a few that I wish to keep. The rest will soon be deleted to clean up the folders for those files. If anything, could I just export the ones I wish to keep and discard the rest?

edited December 1969

My pose presets, morphs, and the one shader I made do not show in the Smart Content. There are several things that do under Unassigned, 306 files so all of that would need to be exported. OK, so that would be my first step; opening DAZ Studio, exporting all of that Userdata, and then proceed from there?

Suppose that I no longer want that showing in my Smart Content; should I still do this. I am afraid that the Valentina Database is corrupt, and if I import the old Userdata into the PostgreSQL, it will cause problems. As all of those files that are in the Unassigned part of my Smart Content are also found in the DAZ Studio Formats>My Library> Scene Subsets, and Scenes folders, Won't that stay there through this process? I ask this because when the Smart Content stops working, I can still access the files in the Content Library. It seem to me that this would be the case even if I don't export my Userdata. All the other files in my Content Library are from various vendors which have been installed in one or another of the conventional ways, or by using the DIM. The paths to those files are set so that DAZ Studio can find them and give me access to them. As for the Userdata you mentioned, there are really just a few that I wish to keep. The rest will soon be deleted to clean up the folders for those files. If anything, could I just export the ones I wish to keep and discard the rest?

If you don't want any of your userdata, then you don't need to do that step.