The "Animators Assemble!" thread for Daz animation WIPs, clips, and tips

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,210

Correction: They are Presets of G3M, G3F, G8M and G8F that have everything that Carrara doesn't like about them removed - so with a few exceptions that might require a workaround, it allows these figures to load into Carrara and work with any of the shapes, poses, expressions, etc., etc., that you have for them.

Here's the thing though. Carrara has yet to adopt Quaternion Skinning, so we can't just load the support items onto the figure from the usual Daz 3D library. We must first go into DS and Edit > Figure > Rigging > Convert to Blended Weights.

Here's how I did it: I went into My Daz 3D Library and under People, I made a new folder: "Genesis 3 Carrara" and "Genesis 8 Carrara" and these are where I keep Misty's Presets.

Now inside those folders I also added "Clothing"

So after I convert the clothing (or whatever) to Blended Weights, I Save As > Support Asset > Figure and save the items into the appropriate Clothing folder. 

I do it this way to keep both sets of content entirely separate from one another.

All of the rigging and such works nicely. One of the issues for me is that I can't just save a Carrara version to my browser fully clothed. The shoes come in all wonky. So I have to load the shoes from the library - which really isn't much of a thing. In all, after buying GenX2, I just prefer the simplicity of Genesis 1's more generation 4-style rig simplicity along with the immense library I've built for previous generations over the years - so Genesis 1 is simply much more compatible with all of my stuff, and without a lot of fuss.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited September 2020

ironically Carrara actually has quaternion rotations just not a DAZ compatible version 

triax was added in 8.5

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Right, but Genesis 8 (and 3?) uses Quaternion Skinning, not just rotations.

Daz 3D developers actually got Quaternion Skinning working in an unreleased version of Carrara, but since it still didn't work with the new Genesis figures, it was agreed that it wasn't enough to validate an update release. That was the last we've heard about Carrara development, and that was years ago. I still hold to a hope that, one day they'll dust off our beloved Carrara and give us some more Love!

On that note, however, when I first bought Carrara, the deal was that if I bought Carrara 7 Pro, I would get access to the Carrara 8 beta and get Carrara 8 Pro upon release. Being on that beta granted me (all of us, actually - any of us who joined the beta) a glimpse into what the development team was doing. I can't remember the web software they used - the tracker system, but it was cool to peruse through and see what was on the docket, what wasn't, what was fixed, what was changed, etc.,

Spooky and his team busted their arses for us, and I'll never under-appreciate that! Those folks have my undying respect, and I am more than happy with what they've given us so far! :)

///end cheerleading session///

•  

I do it this way to keep both sets of content entirely separate from one another.

For that you would need a huge hard drive xDDDDD
    But I understand the point.

I'm looking for yet another drive as we speak! LOL

• Well, a little over a month ago they gave me one of 2 TB. in which I placed all my Daz material. My local drive C was at the limit (and I had about 800GB of space in total).

My content drive is 1.5TB and is always pestering me that it's getting too full. But I have a lot of other stuff on there as well. I render to sequenced png and those folders get quite large. All I really need is a new drive for my filmmaker work, Store all of my sequenced renders to that drive as well as stock footage, sounds, dialog, etc., etc.,

• Yes, I am in the same, especially the renders of Bryce, that as images you are bound to only use the .BMP format, and this format is not exactly low weight.

...at least it's of good quality and lossless! ;)

While not all of my work is this way, I'm currently rendering my characters with an Alpha channel and using the same camera to render the scene and sometimes for FX. I use DaVinci Resolve and Fusion to put it all together, though some elements I'll do in PD Howler first.

• The Da Vinci is good, it's the second best video post production and editing software on the market.
    Although Adobe Premiere is easier to use. But Da Vinci is free XD.

edited September 2020

Unlike Adobe, the developers of PD Howler and DaVinci Resolve let me talk to them (and we often talk) without asking for a credit card at the beginning of the conversation!

Edit: Adobe used to be like that back when I bought Photoshop way back when.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • TheMysteryIsThePointTheMysteryIsThePoint Posts: 2,887
    edited September 2020

Hi @Auroratrek

At the very beginning of this forum topic, you posted your Quest of the Key trailer, and had mentioned that you had captured it with an OptiTrack system.

I have long been threatening to upgrade from my inertial systems to an OptiTrack Flex 13 based system and was prepared to pull the trigger this year, but was talked out of it by a studio owner for whom I was doing some programming work. They all said the resolution was jittery, which contradicted all the Optitrak demos that I had seen, but of course he was using a million dollar Vicon setup over a huge capture space.

If you would, could you mention which Optitrack cameras you used for Quest of the Key, how many, the size of your capture space, and how much cleanup and post processing you had to do? I'd appreciate as much detail about your experiences as you can give; I'm torn between what my eyes have seen online and the opinion of a professional whose opinion I have no reason to doubt...

Thanks!

Post edited by TheMysteryIsThePoint on
  • ChrisSerketChrisSerket Posts: 202
    edited September 2020

Unlike Adobe, the developers of PD Howler and DaVinci Resolve let me talk to them (and we often talk) without asking for a credit card at the beginning of the conversation!

Wow, it would have been the perfect occasion to take a selfie photo.
    The Adobe people are people who already believe they are superior to others.

Well, I am suffering with a scene that is like this but closer (looking at the city from less distance), but I am not completely convinced by this (attached image) although at least it expresses what I want to reflect:

isla kl.png
    2048 x 1080 - 4M
    Post edited by ChrisSerket on

Wow, it would have been the perfect occasion to take a selfie photo.
    The Adobe people are people who already believe they are superior to others.

Well, I am suffering with a scene that is like this but closer (looking at the city from less distance), but I am not completely convinced by this (attached image) although at least it expresses what I want to reflect:

Awesome! The way I do that is to put the city on something other than the terrain itself - quite often just a primitve cube with a tiled texture map to make it look cool, even though you barely see any of it.

With the city on the base, now it can be nestled into the terrain for a perfect fit! Thing of it like building your city on a giant concrete slab! ;)

So, Fenric's Carrara plugins (all of them) are Free now. So are the Digital Carver's Guild and others. (see Carrara Plugins)

Well VWD can make conformed clothes dynamic, but then the shapes from the fit are 'tailored' into the cloth, so it can often try to keep that shape, even if the shape is no longer over that shape of the figure. Perhaps it's my inexperience.

Anyway, I use Fenric's Unlock Figure feature, and then Animate > Detach Skeleton, and remove the Actor from the rig. Now it's a prop and I can delete or add polygons, add or delete materials zones, etc., and then make it a dynamic cloth. Fun way to design clothing without actually modeling it. I mentioned this stuff already in my Character Design video on YouTube.

Well I just picked up Aussie Girl Outfit because it looks like it would make excellent dynamic clothing. Holy Cow!

I barely had to try!

Genesis 1 is funny this way, because its base shape is male. So Genesis 1 clothing looks like it fits Mike and Bill, even Paul... but not Suzy, Rose or Victoria. Well Aussie Girl Outfit includes a V4 version. So I loaded that up today and really changed it up quite a bit. Not really on purpose, but as I was shaping it to my Character, inspiration hot and I made a really cool, still Aussie Girl-looking top.

I didn't nail it at all, just used the Cotton srtting in the assistant and ran it. Rendering now but did it ever look great in the realtime post view after the simulation was complete. So excited!

Mine still looks like the Aussie Girl outfit, but for cloth simulation on an action girl, I opted to bring more shirt onto the shoulders so it doesn't fall off without glue.

I conformed the shorts, but the action was causing poke-through between the thighs and hip, so I ran them through VWD fully nailed and it worked like a charm. No dynamics and no poke through! ;)

• So, Fenric's Carrara plugins (all of them) are Free now. So are the Digital Carver's Guild and others. (see Carrara Plugins)

Well VWD can make conformed clothes dynamic, but then the shapes from the fit are 'tailored' into the cloth, so it can often try to keep that shape, even if the shape is no longer over that shape of the figure. Perhaps it's my inexperience.

Anyway, I use Fenric's Unlock Figure feature, and then Animate > Detach Skeleton, and remove the Actor from the rig. Now it's a prop and I can delete or add polygons, add or delete materials zones, etc., and then make it a dynamic cloth. Fun way to design clothing without actually modeling it. I mentioned this stuff already in my Character Design video on YouTube.

Well I just picked up Aussie Girl Outfit because it looks like it would make excellent dynamic clothing. Holy Cow!

I barely had to try!

Genesis 1 is funny this way, because its base shape is male. So Genesis 1 clothing looks like it fits Mike and Bill, even Paul... but not Suzy, Rose or Victoria. Well Aussie Girl Outfit includes a V4 version. So I loaded that up today and really changed it up quite a bit. Not really on purpose, but as I was shaping it to my Character, inspiration hot and I made a really cool, still Aussie Girl-looking top.

I didn't nail it at all, just used the Cotton srtting in the assistant and ran it. Rendering now but did it ever look great in the realtime post view after the simulation was complete. So excited!

Mine still looks like the Aussie Girl outfit, but for cloth simulation on an action girl, I opted to bring more shirt onto the shoulders so it doesn't fall off without glue.

I conformed the shorts, but the action was causing poke-through between the thighs and hip, so I ran them through VWD fully nailed and it worked like a charm. No dynamics and no poke through! ;)

Perfect, great achievement.
    And I also currently use that trick of placing the city on one or more standard geometric figures with a texture or even just a color. In my case as it is round, I used about 3 cylinders for it.
    Today I owe a big one to Carrara. It just saved me from desperate situation due to damn OBJ and FBX formats. As interchangeable 3D file formats between programs, both leave a lot to be desired.

So here's the result on frame #101 of a VWD test I ran of my first attempt with the Aussie Girl Outfit. She's a bit dark because she's not in a scene. The way my Character scene works is that it provides three-point+ (it has a second rim light) lighting meant to work with whatever lighting is in the environment. Anyway, the resulting animation is Awesome! I'm really enjoying the thing I've been avoiding for many years - Dynamic Cloth and Hair!!!

For more info: Modeling for Genesis (Carrara to Daz Studio and back to Carrara tutorial) and Character Design 01 (my Character Template for Carrara tutorial) Volumetric Lighting (how I usually light most of my scenes for animation)

• Here's a proof of concept trailer for an animated film I'd love to do sometime soon. 

<iframe width="560" height="315" src=" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hi! Can you tell me how/what product you used for the animated rain in this scene? Looking to do something similar in a current project.

Here are some test renders of cloth and hair simulations in Carrara

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153

Here are some test renders of cloth and hair simulations in Carrara

very good test results :)

Thanks! With all of the newly Open Source and Free Plugins for Carrara, along with the few paid ones (like VWD) that really aren't very expensive, I'm feeling so inspired to do these things that have always scared the crap out of me before! LOL

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

The new Filament draw style renders super fast. I've been experimenting with it as I've been trying to learn how to do animations. Here is a quick animation I did with Filament:

https://player.vimeo.com/video/469408305

It rendered 472 frames in 21 minutes. It would have taken hours to render it in Iray on my machine.

3Diva said:

The new Filament draw style renders super fast. I've been experimenting with it as I've been trying to learn how to do animations. Here is a quick animation I did with Filament:

It rendered 472 frames in 21 minutes. It would have taken hours to render it in Iray on my machine.

That's Awesome!

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926
    3Diva said:

nicely done.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

Thank you, guys! Learning how to use the timeline stuff is pretty tricky at first but I'm slowly getting it, I think. :) Filament definitely makes it worthwhile since I can see results pretty quickly and if I mess something up it's not a disaster since it didn't take hours to render out. lol

3Diva said:

Thank you, guys! Learning how to use the timeline stuff is pretty tricky at first but I'm slowly getting it, I think. :) Filament definitely makes it worthwhile since I can see results pretty quickly and if I mess something up it's not a disaster since it didn't take hours to render out. lol

Absolutely. And that's exactly how to do it. Just keep slugging away. You wouldn't believe how many renders I throw away - but it's all part of the game!

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153

Happy Halloween   } :-D

Best viewed in 1080HD

Very Cool, Ivy!

3Diva said:

I'm taking the plunge -

• Updating my nVidia drivers
    • Installing the Beta DS 
    • Currently reading up about it in fear

No guarantees I'll get very far with it, but I want to give it a shot. By buddy, Diomede, is doing some amazing things back and forth between Carrara and DS. I'm perfectly happy with Carrara - it's not that. Just that this whole Filament thing, combined with the new integration of keyMate and graphMate is exciting to me. 

Fingers crossed. I work far too much (away from anything that resembles a computer or internet) to be trying to devote a bunch of time into learning new things, but what the heck. Give it a shot!