:) thank you for your patience!

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    :) thank you for your patience!

You're welcome Kerya.

• cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited December 1969

Hi there, I will ask a question regarding the presets too :).

I installed the latest version of the free player today, downloaded the presets from FurryThings and launched DS. Firstly, I didn't see the proper pane - fortunately going into Windows/Panes solved it.

Then the player told be I don't have any presets to use. I forced it into working by manually choosing the separate folder I store the presets in. Then it caught the bait. I wanted to get an afro for an African female (partially to test my first full skin), so I chose Crazy Hair Preset. Okay, it loaded. It looked weird on in green, but I found an option to choose "coal black" or something like that from Colour Presets. I hit "Render" and waited for the outcome.

Okay, it didn't work as - although the hair rendered in black, it was as if the woman had a serious dermatologic issue - she was almost bald with a few strands proudly poking. I blindly changed the values regarding root and tip (whatever they mean :P). I chose 200 and 200, then hit "Render". Okay, now she started to look like a woman instead of an overchewed dog toy. But it was still too fluffy. I changed the shader type to Human Hair Shader. Now it renders.

It looks like it's finally starting to get me somewhere, but I swear it's the longest rendering time ever. I have a simple UberEnvironment light (although set to the highest quality, but I always use it like that), my own skin that isn't a high-resolution one, Sickleyield's holiday gown and that hairstyle. The dimensions are set to 1000x2000. On another hand, most of my renders with a lot of high-resolution skins, a bunch of outfits and the hair take around a minute or two, nothing more. I use 3Delight, but my computer has a x64 processor (IntelCore i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40 GHz) with 16GB of RAM, so resources should not be an issue.

The point is: what preset is quicker to render? I need a simple afro like the one from the promo image at FurryThings. Additionally, what thickness would you suggest? Isn't 200 too high a value? It was 144 I think... I read the manual of course, but it did not answer either of the questions. I don't need to get hyperrealism, just a simple afro. A blonde-proof answer is more than welcome. Thanks in advance!

edited December 1969

Hi there, I will ask a question regarding the presets too :).

I installed the latest version of the free player today, downloaded the presets from FurryThings and launched DS. Firstly, I didn't see the proper pane - fortunately going into Windows/Panes solved it.

Then the player told be I don't have any presets to use. I forced it into working by manually choosing the separate folder I store the presets in. Then it caught the bait. I wanted to get an afro for an African female (partially to test my first full skin), so I chose Crazy Hair Preset. Okay, it loaded. It looked weird on in green, but I found an option to choose "coal black" or something like that from Colour Presets. I hit "Render" and waited for the outcome.

Okay, it didn't work as - although the hair rendered in black, it was as if the woman had a serious dermatologic issue - she was almost bald with a few strands proudly poking. I blindly changed the values regarding root and tip (whatever they mean :P). I chose 200 and 200, then hit "Render". Okay, now she started to look like a woman instead of an overchewed dog toy. But it was still too fluffy. I changed the shader type to Human Hair Shader. Now it renders.

It looks like it's finally starting to get me somewhere, but I swear it's the longest rendering time ever. I have a simple UberEnvironment light (although set to the highest quality, but I always use it like that), my own skin that isn't a high-resolution one, Sickleyield's holiday gown and that hairstyle. The dimensions are set to 1000x2000. On another hand, most of my renders with a lot of high-resolution skins, a bunch of outfits and the hair take around a minute or two, nothing more. I use 3Delight, but my computer has a x64 processor (IntelCore i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40 GHz) with 16GB of RAM, so resources should not be an issue.

The point is: what preset is quicker to render? I need a simple afro like the one from the promo image at FurryThings. Additionally, what thickness would you suggest? Isn't 200 too high a value? It was 144 I think... I read the manual of course, but it did not answer either of the questions. I don't need to get hyperrealism, just a simple afro. A blonde-proof answer is more than welcome. Thanks in advance!

Hi Cecilia, a few pointers. The green hairs you see are the guide hairs showing in the DS preview window: upon render, those will be replaced by the actual hairs.
    About the crazy hair preset you chose, if I remember correctly the hair count on that is VERY low (IIRC around 6000 hairs): so, please increment that value to something like 100000-120000 and the hair cover will be correct (human hair count are about that).
    Increasing the root and tip width so much is not practical, in this case, so reset it at 120/80.

About render times, with a UE2, medium render settings, shading rate 0.1, it should take about 10 minutes at 800x600. With the resolution you use, probably 35-45 minutes.

• cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited December 1969

Hi and thank you so much for such a quick response! The rendering finished at I was rather satisfied for a first time render. I was making a portrait, so hair took up like 3/4 of the whole image and I guess it was what caused it to render so slowly - a lot of hair and details. At the moment, I'm making a full-body render at the same resolution, so hair should take much less space. I will then try the values you provided - thanks again, I think I'm going to have a lot of fun with your plugin!

PS I didn't find a preset for Gorilla for Genesis. Do you think such addition would be nice? It's the most detailed primate available as far as I know and I think it would look even better with some fur. Will the DAZ Millennium Gorilla preset work for the base shape?

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited February 2014

Hi and thank you so much for such a quick response! The rendering finished at I was rather satisfied for a first time render. I was making a portrait, so hair took up like 3/4 of the whole image and I guess it was what caused it to render so slowly - a lot of hair and details. At the moment, I'm making a full-body render at the same resolution, so hair should take much less space. I will then try the values you provided - thanks again, I think I'm going to have a lot of fun with your plugin!

PS I didn't find a preset for Gorilla for Genesis. Do you think such addition would be nice? It's the most detailed primate available as far as I know and I think it would look even better with some fur. Will the DAZ Millennium Gorilla preset work for the base shape?

http://www.furrythings.com/presets_depot/DAZ-Gorilla.zip

That preset is for the Genesis gorilla. However, another preset is always welcome :-)

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    edited December 1969

http://www.furrythings.com/presets_depot/DAZ-Gorilla.zip

That preset is for the Genesis gorilla. However, another preset is always welcome :-)

Kendall
    Good to know, I thought it was for the stand-alone Gorilla figure. I'll download it later.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

I've been doing a bit more experimenting, and trying out DAZ characters with hair sets, and the free hair and animal presets from the website.

I think I've got a good idea of how the density map works, but that doesn't affect hair length, especially at the edge of a hair zone, does it? I was having a close look at the meerkat preset and realised the body fur is all the same length right up to the eyes, the edge of the mouth, and right down the muzzle to the hair-free nose. In a real animal, the hairs get shorter close to these edges; is the scissors tool the only way to do that? As it is, I'm getting some sort of angled cone around the nose, a "moustache" fringe around the upper lip, and way too heavy eyelashes. Or am I doing something wrong?

edited May 2014

I've been doing a bit more experimenting, and trying out DAZ characters with hair sets, and the free hair and animal presets from the website.

I think I've got a good idea of how the density map works, but that doesn't affect hair length, especially at the edge of a hair zone, does it? I was having a close look at the meerkat preset and realised the body fur is all the same length right up to the eyes, the edge of the mouth, and right down the muzzle to the hair-free nose. In a real animal, the hairs get shorter close to these edges; is the scissors tool the only way to do that? As it is, I'm getting some sort of angled cone around the nose, a "moustache" fringe around the upper lip, and way too heavy eyelashes. Or am I doing something wrong?

Density maps only affect the density of the hair in an area, not its length. Length maps are on the way, but not available yet. Until then you will need to use the scissors, or select the guides and adjust the "length" slider. (Remember that, by default, all guides are selected)

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
    edited December 1969

Ah, so I can select smaller and smaller circles of guide hairs around a hairless patch, and gradually reduce the hair length in each circle? Fiddly, but that should work nicely. Or would I have to select guides one at a time, considering how hairs can be combed flat? Good to hear length maps are in the pipeline, will they be set up the same way as the density maps?

edited December 1969

Ah, so I can select smaller and smaller circles of guide hairs around a hairless patch, and gradually reduce the hair length in each circle? Fiddly, but that should work nicely. Or would I have to select guides one at a time, considering how hairs can be combed flat?

Use the lasso select to grab the guide(s) that you're interested in and then modify.

Good to hear length maps are in the pipeline, will they be set up the same way as the density maps?

Length maps are currently designed to be created and used like the current density maps.

Kendall

edited December 1969

OK, thanks, I'll try that the next time I'm poking at LaMH.

edited December 1969

OK, thanks, I'll try that the next time I'm poking at LaMH.

One way to easily shorten hairs gradually out of a eye region, is to use the smooth scale tool.
    If you select it, and point the cursor over the eye, and drag, you'll notice how the hairs get shortened in a very smooth way, so that at the end you'll have 0 length hairs at the center of the eye region, and gradually longer as you move out of it.
    I don't know if this english is understandable, if not let me know and I'll make a movie to show how to perform that operation.
    Cheers

edited December 1969

Perfectly clear, thanks. OK, I'll try that next time.

• StrixowlStrixowl Posts: 301
    edited December 1969

Just started playing with this and have a dumb question. Now that I downloaded the Presets. What folder do they go in ??
    Thank you :-)

edited December 1969

Strixowl said:
    Just started playing with this and have a dumb question. Now that I downloaded the Presets. What folder do they go in ??
    Thank you :-)

Hello, it really doesn't matter. As a default, LAMH uses your Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/lookatmyhairAM/presets folder, but you can indeed save and load them back from any location.

• StrixowlStrixowl Posts: 301
    edited December 1969

Ok. Got it. Thank you.

• lululee1lululee1 Posts: 291
    edited May 2014

Hi,
    I would like to bring into LAMH at the same time both a character and a scalp.
    The scalp is an obj file.
    I would like to build the hair on the scalp obj but I would like the character under it so I
    can see how the hair looks with a head and chest.
    I could also bring the character in as an obj if that would help.

Also is there a dedicated LAMH forum other than Daz that I should be asking LAMH questions
    or am I in the right place?

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheerio
    lululee

Post edited by lululee1 on
  • JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,250
    edited December 1969

Did anyone ever find out what the problem was with the plugin only exporting the guard hairs on my rig? I sent Kendall Sears the problem file, but never heard back anything.

This was the attempt to fake a sphinx using the MilCat, shrinking the head and hiding it inside a Genesis head, and then covering the join with an elaborate headdress. The fur appeared to apply, using the preset in the LAMH window, but when exported back to studio, only the guard hairs were present.

I've been hesitant to use try to use the plugin at all since it appears to be broken. And even applying LAMH presets that ship with products no longer works, either. Do the current download versions require something later than 4.6.3.1.39?

I've the full plugin, rather than just the player. and I did update to 1.5.

edited December 1969

Hi,
    Is there a set size for the density map.
    I would like to do a density map for the Genesis2 torso and nipples.
    Is there a particular size that LAMH understands or can I make it 4000 by 4000 ?
    cheerio
    lululee

edited December 1969

JOdel said:
    Did anyone ever find out what the problem was with the plugin only exporting the guard hairs on my rig? I sent Kendall Sears the problem file, but never heard back anything.

This was the attempt to fake a sphinx using the MilCat, shrinking the head and hiding it inside a Genesis head, and then covering the join with an elaborate headdress. The fur appeared to apply, using the preset in the LAMH window, but when exported back to studio, only the guard hairs were present.

I've been hesitant to use try to use the plugin at all since it appears to be broken. And even applying LAMH presets that ship with products no longer works, either. Do the current download versions require something later than 4.6.3.1.39?

I've the full plugin, rather than just the player. and I did update to 1.5.

I've responded to every email I've received from everyone. If you've sent me an email and I haven't responded, then there is a chance that either I didn't get the email, or my response didn't make it through.

Please resend any email that you've sent that I've not responded to.

krsears (at) trdc.biz

Kendall

edited December 1969

lululee1 said:
    Hi,
    I would like to bring into LAMH at the same time both a character and a scalp.
    The scalp is an obj file.
    I would like to build the hair on the scalp obj but I would like the character under it so I
    can see how the hair looks with a head and chest.
    I could also bring the character in as an obj if that would help.

Also is there a dedicated LAMH forum other than Daz that I should be asking LAMH questions
    or am I in the right place?

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheerio
    lululee

At the moment, the UI viewport only shows the item that is having hair applied to it. In this case it would be the scalp object.

We do have a dedicated forum for LAMH users. It also allows users to get access to the betas if they so wish.

Register at http://bugzilla.look-at-my-hair.com
    then send me an email from the email that you registered and I will allocate your forum account.

Kendall

edited December 1969

lululee1 said:
    Hi,
    Is there a set size for the density map.
    I would like to do a density map for the Genesis2 torso and nipples.
    Is there a particular size that LAMH understands or can I make it 4000 by 4000 ?
    cheerio
    lululee

You should use the UV template for the item that you are making the map for. Otherwise, use the 3D Paint facility in LAMH to create your initial map, and then load that into the bitmap editor of your choice.

Kendall

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,250
    edited December 1969

I'll have to go digging. But while I can re-send the DAZ file easily enough, any log files are probably burried/deleted by now. It was some months ago.

edited December 1969

JOdel said:
    I'll have to go digging. But while I can re-send the DAZ file easily enough, any log files are probably burried/deleted by now. It was some months ago.

That is OK. Any information that you can provide will be helpful. I will do my best to see what I can find.

Just for general knowledge:

I will always respond to an email. If anyone sends me an email and they don't at least get an acknowledgement in 3-4 days (usually much sooner) then a followup is warranted as it is likely that I didn't get the communication. If the email is about LAMH then please put "LAMH" or "look at my hair" somewhere in the subject as I literally receive up to a thousand emails a day.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Hi kendall,
    Thanks so much for the valuable info.
    Cheerio
    lululee

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312
    edited December 1969

Which is the latest version of the LAMH player please.

edited December 1969

hello, it's 1.5.01P

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312
    edited December 1969

hello, it's 1.5.01P

Thank you

• tonymousetonymouse Posts: 230
    edited December 1969

I have a very hard time searching the forums, the search functions are very inaccurate. I think I recall a mention of LAMH for poser?? as a possible future development. Has there been any more on that YES or NO?? I for one would be all about it.