MKGooch Shader for DAZ Studio

Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
edited December 1969 in Freebies

Here is my first freebie

MKGooch Shader for DAZ Studio 4 or more.

The shader is the conversion of Mike King MKGooch Shader found here

Download the shader here

Enjoy and happy rendering

Comments

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Here is my first freebie

MKGooch Shader for DAZ Studio 4 or more.

The shader is the conversion of Mike King MKGooch Shader found here

Download the shader here

Enjoy and happy rendering

Very cool! Thanks for sharing...did you build this in ShaderMixer ?
  • DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,646
    edited December 1969

These are wonderful Takeo! I knew you were good! I just played with them. You created the sdl! Oh my! I am so excited. I will be looking forward to your next ventures in the shader world! Someone who knows how to create the sdls. You said you just read. I have the Renderman manual. I guess I just have to knuckle down and start studying. Are you going to put up a shingle so us newbs can come in for consoltations? Thank you so much! You don't know how pleased and excited I am. It is silly I know but DAZStudio has so much potential and this area is so under developed compared to Poser and Poser has some seriously wicked brick features that I want to see manifested in DAZ. Along with all the other cool free bricks out there just waitng to be pulled into DAZ.

Takeo did you know that Pen is one of the keepers of the shader miixer library? She is trying to gather information for receipes and techniques. It is her work that has been helpful to me about what little I know. You two should talk.

@Pen Takeo made a gooch brick! From looking at the script files he must of used the Shader Builder and then used the Mixer to put the preset together. I so want to learn how to do this.

Now off to play.Thanks again Takeo. I love, love my new shaders! Yippeee!

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    Very cool! Thanks for sharing...did you build this in ShaderMixer ?

You're welcome! I find shadermixer limiting so I stopped using it very quickly. I prefer Shader builder which can do the same and more with more control. I just use Shadermixer for some DS default bricks like cameras and photon mapping ... but I don't really create anything in it

Even this simple gooch shader can't be built as is with shader mixer because the original shader calls some function like "illuminance" that I didn't find in shadermixer. Plus I have all the renderman documentation to test so shader builder is more adapted.

Dollygirl said:
    These are wonderful Takeo! I knew you were good! I just played with them. You created the sdl! Oh my! I am so excited. I will be looking forward to your next ventures in the shader world! Someone who knows how to create the sdls. You said you just read. I have the Renderman manual. I guess I just have to knuckle down and start studying.

Glad to see you happy. You know I'm also a newb. I'm only beginning to understand some things. And I must say I did a lot of trials and errors to get it working in DAZ. I know 3delight has a big unrevealed potential in DAZ as it is used in movies but it will need a lot of work to get it.

Are you going to put up a shingle so us newbs can come in for consoltations?

Not really :) it's a simple way to express my gratitude to the community because I learned a lot from reading posts in the forums and I also have some fun in the freebie contest which gives me something to practice my readings and skills. Plus I got DAZ pro for free and also lots of freebies to play with

Takeo did you know that Pen is one of the keepers of the shader miixer library? She is trying to gather information for receipes and techniques. It is her work that has been helpful to me about what little I know. You two should talk.

I know Pendraia ;) she offered to help test shaders in Shadermixer in the old forum. As I said I don't really work with shadermixer so I'm not sure I could be of a big help for these recipes, but if some people start some interresting thread I guess I'll be there

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Thank you! They are looking cool!

edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    That's very kind Dollygirl...I'm not really a keeper for it though. I did start a thread in the old forums which they stickied and I maintained but now the thread is maintained by DAZ3D which is good as I don't really have the time.

@Pen Takeo made a gooch brick! From looking at the script files he must of used the Shader Builder and then used the Mixer to put the preset together. I so want to learn how to do this.
    Wow...Takeo that is so clever. I've never been able to work Shaderbuilder out. I've tried once or twice but I just couldn't work out how to do it. I think I remember offering to test something sometime back...so yes I know Takeo. ; )

I would really like someone to create a curve brick so that we can use shadermixer to make hair...hint...hint.

Thanks again for offering this as a freebie.

Pen

edited July 2012

Pendraia said:

I would really like someone to create a curve brick so that we can use shadermixer to make hair...hint...hint.

Guess you want some Renderman curves in it. Not sure it is doable. You know Allessandro's plugin for hair should be out soon and will have everything one's need to design hairs. He did a fantastic job. Just be patient :)

Post edited by Takeo.Kensei on
  • Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited December 1969

Thanks so much :)

edited December 1969

Pendraia said:

Guess you want some Renderman curves in it. Not sure it is doable. You know Allessandro's plugin for hair should be out soon and will have everything one's need to design hairs. He did a fantastic job. Just be patient :)

Yep, it is possible as they have a beta curve since 4.5. I just don't have the skill to do anything with it. I know that Alessandro's plug in is coming and I'm looking forward to it but I still want to play with curve bricks in ShaderMixer and see what can be done. I don't really expect you to do it though Takeo....I believe eventually that rbtwhizwho worked on what has been done so far might eventually provide a brick for ShaderMixer.

If ShaderMixer is ever to reach it's full potential and give access to creating more shaders to more people the bricks that seem to be missing like the illuminance function you mentioned earlier will need to be added. This is possibly something that will come with time as it matures.
    If you are interested have a look in the new form at the thread on the release candidate it mentions it in the first post iirc.

• MorganRLewisMorganRLewis Posts: 233
    edited December 1969

Thank you, Takeo -- this has a lot of potential!

edited December 1969

As I said I went to play with this new shader. Below are 5 new colors. I have attached my values for each if you want to have a go with these colors. Thank you Takeo for this shader block and I am getting some really cool effects. Well if you are a newb then I am a bump on the log. So here are the colors:

values.jpg
    600 x 117 - 66K
    sampler.jpg
    600 x 200 - 65K
    edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    Pendraia said:

Yep, it is possible as they have a beta curve since 4.5. I just don't have the skill to do anything with it. I know that Alessandro's plug in is coming and I'm looking forward to it but I still want to play with curve bricks in ShaderMixer and see what can be done. I don't really expect you to do it though Takeo....I believe eventually that rbtwhizwho worked on what has been done so far might eventually provide a brick for ShaderMixer.

If ShaderMixer is ever to reach it's full potential and give access to creating more shaders to more people the bricks that seem to be missing like the illuminance function you mentioned earlier will need to be added. This is possibly something that will come with time as it matures.
    If you are interested have a look in the new form at the thread on the release candidate it mentions it in the first post iirc.

I guess I cpuld do the curve brick but I am not sure it's what you expect. It is just a brick that will give the color of the hair but it doesn't generate Ricurves. I quickly read the samples provided in the SDK and I'm almost sure it doesn't. I didn't see any code to generate Renderman Ribbons. The brick in itself is a derivate of maya fur which should give a realistic rendering for hairs. PS (thanks to you I now know how I can generate Shader mixer bricks :) )

As I said I went to play with this new shader. Below are 5 new colors. I have attached my values for each if you want to have a go with these colors. Thank you Takeo for this shader block and I am getting some really cool effects. Well if you are a newb then I am a bump on the log. So here are the colors:

Very nice Dolly :) As I'm a lazy guy I didn't play much with the shader to make some presets so this can be a good start. The shader from Mike King is pretty basic and some changes in the code could make it better. I may come out with a custom version

edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    Pendraia said:

I guess I cpuld do the curve brick but I am not sure it's what you expect. It is just a brick that will give the color of the hair but it doesn't generate Ricurves. I quickly read the samples provided in the SDK and I'm almost sure it doesn't. I didn't see any code to generate Renderman Ribbons. The brick in itself is a derivate of maya fur which should give a realistic rendering for hairs. PS (thanks to you I now know how I can generate Shader mixer bricks :) )
    I'm suprised by that as in one of the threads (I'm not sure which) I thought Rob had mentioned it in connection to Alessandro product and said something about them work on curves at the same time. Maybe I dreamt it though...; ) May still be useful for creating shaders for the fibre hairs that Mec4D and others have been creating though...if it's for realistic rendering of the hair.

I'm glad that you have discovered how to generate Shader mixer bricks...I don't suppose you like to tell me how to find the info? I'm assuming its in the SDK somewhere?

cheers

Pen

edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    Pendraia said:
    Pendraia said:

I'm suprised by that as in one of the threads (I'm not sure which) I thought Rob had mentioned it in connection to Alessandro product and said something about them work on curves at the same time. Maybe I dreamt it though...; ) May still be useful for creating shaders for the fibre hairs that Mec4D and others have been creating though...if it's for realistic rendering of the hair.

I'm glad that you have discovered how to generate Shader mixer bricks...I don't suppose you like to tell me how to find the info? I'm assuming its in the SDK somewhere?

cheers

Pen

I can tell you :) no problem with that. Open the DS4.5 SDK and go to samples\shaderbricks\DzCurveBrick\
    You'll find the sample there. I'm not very fond of Shadermixer so I shouldn't create any brick but it may be usefull someday. Or some people more interrested than me could have a good use of that

edited December 1969

I can tell you :) no problem with that. Open the DS4.5 SDK and go to samples\shaderbricks\DzCurveBrick\
    You'll find the sample there. I'm not very fond of Shadermixer so I shouldn't create any brick but it may be usefull someday. Or some people more interrested than me could have a good use of that

Thanks I will check it out...
    edited December 1969

I made some more shaders for this brick. Here you go.

values2.jpg
    600 x 117 - 66K
    sampler2.jpg
    600 x 200 - 71K
    edited December 1969

That is veeeeerrrrry pretty Lonnie :) too bad the toon render challenge is over. Can't use that yet