Daz3d to Unreal Engine Bridge

Comments

• I am trying to install but the DIM Installer for DAZToUnreal expects a path name for an application. Which it doesn't say but I'm guessing Unreal. See attached dialogue.

Tried the following all failed:

C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.24\Engine\Binaries\Win64

C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.24\Engine\Binaries

C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.24\Engine

C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.24

What's the correct path? As I've not found the right path it doesn't find the version number from the binary or such eith.

I've also tried similar path in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Epic Games directories.

You need the newer version of DIM - the one you have doesn't know about Unreal

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

I am trying to install but the DIM Installer for DAZToUnreal expects a path name for an application. Which it doesn't say but I'm guessing Unreal. See attached dialogue.

What's the correct path? As I've not found the right path it doesn't find the version number from the binary or such eith.

I've also tried similar path in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Epic Games directories.

You need the newer version of DIM - the one you have doesn't know about Unreal

Thanks. I found out. For some reason DIM didn't auto-update as it had been doing in the past & I had to manually download & upgrade DIM.

• dragoneyes002dragoneyes002 Posts: 205
    edited August 2020

here is a question not seen here why the entire new sign in with a password to get the bridge? seems a bit redundant to not accept an account where we buy product from daz with as sufficient to get the bridge!

Post edited by dragoneyes002 on
  • windli3356windli3356 Posts: 219
    edited August 2020

I am trying to install but the DIM Installer for DAZToUnreal expects a path name for an application. Which it doesn't say but I'm guessing Unreal. See attached dialogue.

C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.25\Engine\Plugins

but one folder up so they merge

You only need to set the path  to UE4.25's main folder that's it, that's the default path.  

"after retargeting animaions it is feasible one could get that data back as the bones match but it probably would need to be in BVH form so one would need some intermediate software to do that, I know of paid options, I don't know if Blender could possibly do it."

Regarding cloth simulation, physics skeleton & animation, doesn't matter it's blender, 3Ds Max, UE4, or others, whichever engine you export to I believe they will comply these elements to their own system.   

Post edited by windli3356 on
  • NosiferretNosiferret Posts: 330

Is it free? Or is it $9.28 ?? 

free bridge.PNG
    375 x 474 - 64K
  • I am trying this with genesis 2 and genesis 3 and no luck only really gross streching. only genesis 8 was working ok. I am following the Daz3d tut on youtube  and when I try and retarget in unreal I dont get some of the option for gen 8 models are thses models just not supported yet?

• Is it free? Or is it $9.28 ?? 

when you add it to cart it shows up as free

• EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 1,390

Is it free? Or is it $9.28 ?? 

well i got it free, maybe it's a bug, try add it to your cart and see if it get free again, would be a display error.

• I am trying to install but the DIM Installer for DAZToUnreal expects a path name for an application. Which it doesn't say but I'm guessing Unreal. See attached dialogue.

• It only works in 4.25, not 4.24

~Cheers

• There's a lot here.  Sorry if I miss anyone.

Is there a way for the daz3d to unreal bridge to import a unreal engine animation back into daz3d?

I haven't tried it myself, but if you right-click an animation in Unreal choose Asset Actions -> Export, you can export an animation to FBX.  The bridge renames the root node of the characters, so you might have to name it back in Blender or something.  Also, animations on the Epic Marketplace aren't licensed for use outside of Unreal.  A lot of the vendors seem to be flexible on that if you ask them though.

I am having an issue with the new Bridge. I actually compiled the Daz to Unreal plugin from github before the bridge came out and that worked fine. Now that I downloaded the bridge it doesn't work! In Daz I do not have "File >Send To". I used DIM to install.. What am I doing wrong?!

Make sure your DIM is up to date.  I think I also had to delete the old plugin manually.  It defaults to C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\DazToUnreal.dll.  Make sure to restart Daz Studio.

Should be this one: C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.24

• How does it handle  the Dual Quaternion skin? I've just installed it in 4.25.3 and it seems it's normal linear skin. I also tried to install the bridge in AlienRenders dq mod but it wont work, because the plugin was compiled for 4.25 i suppose. Btw, it would be really  cool to include source code, so people can build it with custom engines. 

Also, I'm looking at the skeleton and all joint local axis are world aligned, so the postprocess jcm driver anim blueprint cannot work: if you try to bend the shin or elbow no corrective morph is applied.

They do provide the source code.  https://github.com/daz3d/DazToRuntime You'll have to build your own engine with Dual Quaternion if you want that support.  I think most people have found the JCMs make a bigger difference though.

Unreal seems very picky about how it gets the joint rotations.  I've been working on that for the last couple weeks.  I think the jcm driver should be working though.  I'll take a look.

OK opened  the other content browser after searching  for the skeleton but retargetted it pulls his mouth and tongue out!!! 

Yea, if you changed the retarget settings those wouldn't follow with the new copy of the plugin.  You can always copy the skeleton into the project and choose it in the Project Settings.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712

I am having these disasters seems dependent on outfit used and saving scene

trying to find common factors as same character worked before with the highpoly dress

Capture.JPG
    1928 x 1048 - 191K

trying to find common factors as same character worked before with the highpoly dress

ypu tried to check your "skeleton tree if all the bones are proper markeed as "skeleton and only root, pelvis or hip and abdomen lower are proper setted to follow animation.

Another note you are already exporting the characters with the "daz pose" or is changing it later in unreal using the "pose which come with the pluging? make those checks.

Ellessarr said:

ypu tried to check your "skeleton tree if all the bones are proper markeed as "skeleton and only root, pelvis or hip and abdomen lower are proper setted to follow animation.

Another note you are already exporting the characters with the "daz pose" or is changing it later in unreal using the "pose which come with the pluging? make those checks.

tried that plugin pose too will check how marked as that usually gives me oddness my normal workflow too but trying a not Dforce outfit now also

yes it was the animation recursive instead of skeleton yes

I hadn't checked

thankyou

and video

• Nice.

Just so you know, unless it's changed you can create a seperate Physics Asset for the cloth to collide with on the character.  In fact, you might be able to set a physics asset per piece of cloth on the character.  This is useful because you can make a simpler one for colliding with the hair for instance which only has the head and shoulders.

edited August 2020

Nice.

Just so you know, unless it's changed you can create a seperate Physics Asset for the cloth to collide with on the character.  In fact, you might be able to set a physics asset per piece of cloth on the character.  This is useful because you can make a simpler one for colliding with the hair for instance which only has the head and shoulders.

yes thanks for the plugin

I should have exported that skirt looser too, it will give me issues in iClone too where I am going to use it as too close to legs as well

oh can use displacement there

https://www.facebook.com/wendy5/posts/10221797762127268

I guess one could in UE4 too will need to investigate

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • InuGamesInuGames Posts: 65
    edited August 2020

How does it handle  the Dual Quaternion skin? I've just installed it in 4.25.3 and it seems it's normal linear skin. I also tried to install the bridge in AlienRenders dq mod but it wont work, because the plugin was compiled for 4.25 i suppose. Btw, it would be really  cool to include source code, so people can build it with custom engines. 

Also, I'm looking at the skeleton and all joint local axis are world aligned, so the postprocess jcm driver anim blueprint cannot work: if you try to bend the shin or elbow no corrective morph is applied.

They do provide the source code.  https://github.com/daz3d/DazToRuntime You'll have to build your own engine with Dual Quaternion if you want that support.  I think most people have found the JCMs make a bigger difference though.

Unreal seems very picky about how it gets the joint rotations.  I've been working on that for the last couple weeks.  I think the jcm driver should be working though.  I'll take a look.

I'm glad they gave the source code. 

Anyway, not everybody knows about "Dual Quat (DQ)" and "Classic Linear (CL)" skinning difference, so i will just try briefly to explain the problem.

Basically, there are 2 algotithms for skinning you find in most of 3d programs (daz, maya, blender,...) which are called Dual quaternion (DQ) and Classic linear (CL). Main difference is when you bend or twist a joint CL will collapse the skin and DQ will expand it. 

Unreal only has CL skinning, and there is a mod which adds DQ to unreal (but also removes CL, so it's either one or other). https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/134926/adding-dual-quaternion-support-to-unrealengine4-images-inside

I attached 2 pics to show the difference, #1 is DQ and #2 is CL. On #2 you see the upperarm, knee, elbow collapsed and most of all you see the pelvis going out because thighs are collapsed. 

Daz jcms are made for DQ, they will collapse the skin. Basically, when the DQ expands it too much the jcm will push it back. When you apply it in Unreal to already collapsed skin it will just collapse it even more.

Now about applying morphs. In Daz a morph (jcm) is driven by one bone axis, for example the elbow is rotated around Y and when Y is at 90° the elbow morph is at 100%. You can easily make the same thing in Unreal, there is a special node right for this called "Bone Driven Controller" (not used by the plugin, why?)  but you need the rotation axis be the same like in daz. The bridge totally destroy those. Pics #3 and #4 show how it should be done (#3) and how the bridge does it (#4). 

And I already wrote about the material, which is wrong too. 

I mean, you can make Daz figures look in UE4 as good as they look in Daz, but the bridge is not here yet. I'm surprised daz developpers released it in this state. 

ScreenShot00045.png
    1079 x 893 - 1M
    ScreenShot00001.png
    1036 x 893 - 1008K
    Annotation 2020-08-29 1212156.jpg
    549 x 504 - 29K
    Annotation 2020-08-29 121156.jpg
    712 x 699 - 34K
    Post edited by InuGames on
  • InuGamesInuGames Posts: 65
    edited August 2020

Post edited by InuGames on
    edited August 2020

I am unsure how to do displacement

I saved the iray uber as a new material called offset for my skirt base and tried world position offset but black is as far as it gets 0,0,0

no negatives, needs to push out more (iClone uses white but that has the opposite effect in Unreal)

is slightly better but still pokethrough

Capture.JPG
    1928 x 1048 - 261K
    edited August 2020

scalar 1.5 does it!

it's a matter of me finding the right terms for the darn bricks

errr no not in play damn only preview

I will have to start over in DS by looks with a looser skirt angry

tried figuring out what they were doing here too

https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/428698/is-there-a-way-to-offset-a-texture.html

• metasidemetaside Posts: 175

Always wanted to try out some things in UE, so great that there is an official bridge now, but I'm having problems with correctly importing a character :(

DazToUnreal01.PNG
    934 x 581 - 674K
  • Always wanted to try out some things in UE, so great that there is an official bridge now, but I'm having problems with correctly importing a character :(

That looks like it's got an animation applied to it that doesn't have it's retarget source set.  It's the second part of this document http://davidvodhanel.com/daz-to-unreal-animations/

• And I already wrote about the material, which is wrong too.

Haven't found this post, but I expect people will eventually make their own materials to fit the style they are going for.  The system will help map parameters for you and you can set the plugin to use your materials.  Details here:  http://davidvodhanel.com/working-with-materials-in-daz-to-unreal/

edited August 2020

Thanks - I got it working with a very basic model without any morphs... Offtopic, but now I'm getting constant crashes when trying to generate a landscape for my one character - my RTX 2070 seems to be way too weak for this?

Post edited by metaside on
    edited August 2020

wrong post

Post edited by Ellessarr on
  • pls  add animate2 support export

edited August 2020
    metaside said:

Thanks - I got it working with a very basic model without any morphs... Offtopic, but now I'm getting constant crashes when trying to generate a landscape for my one character - my RTX 2070 seems to be way too weak for this?

Ok, this is strange but might be helpful for others:

I experienced constant crashes in UE when painting landscapes, getting errors with regard to my graphics card, but the problem was fixed by increasing the windows page file size:

https://www.reddit.com/r/unrealengine/comments/72xt9o/out_of_video_memory_trying_to_allocate_a/

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/increase-page-file-size-virtual-memory-windows

Post edited by metaside on