Daz Studio 4.12 Pro, General Release! (*UPDATED*)

12223252728

Comments

  • docbotherdocbother Posts: 95

    Subjectively, after a few days of use, the latest (4.12.1.118) seem a bit more prone to crashes or I may be holding my mouth wrong. Anyone else notice? Meanwhile, saving early and often.

  • MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249

    I have 2. questions , why it install outside Program Files ( unable to use my GoZ plugin )  even if I put it in the plugin folder, once I close the app it remove the plugin by it own.

    My installation went into C:/Daz 3d/Applications /

    very unusual location , I can't even manually remove it and my weekly software backup don;t want to include it together with my library , it just skipping the whole folder 

    why?

    Cath

  • barbultbarbult Posts: 18,690
    MEC4D said:

    I have 2. questions , why it install outside Program Files ( unable to use my GoZ plugin )  even if I put it in the plugin folder, once I close the app it remove the plugin by it own.

    My installation went into C:/Daz 3d/Applications /

    very unusual location , I can't even manually remove it and my weekly software backup don;t want to include it together with my library , it just skipping the whole folder 

    why?

    Cath

    How are you installing? Are you using DIM? Did you check and verify the application instlation paths in DIM, if that is what you are using? I hope you aren't using the new Daz Central, because a lot of people have had that redefine their paths and they ended up with lots of problems.

  • MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249

    I used the Daz Central and I run in troubles I had to reset my PC this morning to early point , my system freak out some how shutting off and on until I get rid of everything manually, no way I could uninstall this normal way.

    My old Library is on my backup HD so nothing lost. I am going to install again using DIM with the traditional path so I can make backup 

    Thanks for the tip

    barbult said:
    MEC4D said:

    I have 2. questions , why it install outside Program Files ( unable to use my GoZ plugin )  even if I put it in the plugin folder, once I close the app it remove the plugin by it own.

    My installation went into C:/Daz 3d/Applications /

    very unusual location , I can't even manually remove it and my weekly software backup don;t want to include it together with my library , it just skipping the whole folder 

    why?

    Cath

    How are you installing? Are you using DIM? Did you check and verify the application instlation paths in DIM, if that is what you are using? I hope you aren't using the new Daz Central, because a lot of people have had that redefine their paths and they ended up with lots of problems.

     

  • frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052
    edited July 2020
    docbother said:

    Subjectively, after a few days of use, the latest (4.12.1.118) seem a bit more prone to crashes or I may be holding my mouth wrong. Anyone else notice? Meanwhile, saving early and often.

    With me, Studio doesn't really crash often but it does freeze VERY frequently (ten or twelve times today), and I have to close it with Task Manager (Windows), and so I'm tending to use the more stable Beta.

    I have tried waiting up to an hour for Studio to 'un-freeze' itself, but that did not work. And it can freeze with any scene including just a basic figure that I'm setting up with textures and clothes (Genesis 8 down to Genesis 1). As far as the error logs are concerned, nothing went wrong.

    EDIT TO ADD: My PC has an i7 processor with 32G of RAM and a GTX-1080 GPU.

    Post edited by frankrblow on
  • I get the reder error for Iray, even after upgrading my drivers 

  • MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited July 2020
    I had the same problem, make sure your driver instalation is not the quick update driver, but the clean new install of the last driver , it will remove the old data, close DS while updating the driver, I fixed now all issues with it this way. Good luck!!!

    I get the reder error for Iray, even after upgrading my drivers 

    Post edited by MEC4D on
  • MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    @Barbult, everything working fine now, and all files where it should be in the right folders, I spent like 6 hours the other day and not even crash or freez for once, can't complain! Thanks again for refreshing my memory :)
  • CyberdeneCyberdene Posts: 65
    edited July 2020

    Just wish for once they had a crew that could make the software actually flawless or close to it in some way. Something in DAZ is always dying out or breaking

    I mean I downloaded to 4.12 from DAZ CENTRAL and now I can't even have no more than one window of DAZ open, the vignetting dont even work anymore either (not that I was using it a lot). I use to be able to have multiple Daz windows open. So if one is rendering an image, I can be working on another image in another window of DAZ. But not anymore...I cant even completely close the program down unless I do it through the Task Manager...It just seems like no one really knows what their doing with this program because there is always something wrong with it. A lot of stuff just feels disabled or non-working, and the beta versions are always the complete version when the complete version is suppose to be better than the beta. Which means all the issues with the beta is going to be in the "complete/finished" version...Not being able to have multiple DAZ windows open is already a disappointment...

    Post edited by Cyberdene on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 9,711
    edited July 2020

    Daz changed the way you can open multiple instances, because the old way could cause problems due to all instances sharing some technical folders (for example one instance could sometimes overwrite or delete temp files used by the other).

    It's still possible to launch multiple instances, just not directly. There are instructions there: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5112696/#Comment_5112696

    and one user posted powershell scripts to do it easily here: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5620181/#Comment_5620181

    Post edited by Leana on
  • DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 6,118
    Cyberdene said:

    Just wish for once they had a crew that could make the software actually flawless. Something in DAZ is always dying out or breaking

    I mean I download and now I can't even have no more than one window of DAZ open, the vignetting dont even work anymore either. I use to be able to have multiple Daz windows open So if one is rendering an image, I can be working on another image in another window of DAZ. But not anymore...I also noticed the lighting is all dimmed and dark as hell too for 4.11 in the preview. So I can barely see anything. I dont mean when I hit "render" I'm talking just the preview window

    when I load a scene or a figure, it's dark/dim. Even when I brighten my screen. So I had no choice but to go back to 4.12 again through the Daz Central method

    And I hate it because I can't even have multiple windows open anymore like in other versions of DAZ..It just seems like no one really knows what their doing with this program. A lot of stuff just feels disabled, and the beta version is still the same as the full version when the full version is suppose to be better than the beta.

    One can still create instances by using the script posted at the end of this post:

    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5112696/#Comment_5112696

    As for the dark scene, did you check the Render Settings? If you set it to Defaults, it should be fine.

  • MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249

    I made the same mistake , it did not worked messed up everything , uninstall it and use DIM  for the real instalation , you will have 80% less problems , I did works better , but as you said, Not being able to have multiple DAZ windows open is already a disappointment

    but there is a script for I believe , but why make easy stuff difficult , they must have a reason .

    Cyberdene said:

    Just wish for once they had a crew that could make the software actually flawless or close to it in some way. Something in DAZ is always dying out or breaking

    I mean I downloaded to 4.12 from DAZ CENTRAL and now I can't even have no more than one window of DAZ open, the vignetting dont even work anymore either (not that I was using it a lot). I use to be able to have multiple Daz windows open. So if one is rendering an image, I can be working on another image in another window of DAZ. But not anymore...I cant even completely close the program down unless I do it through the Task Manager...It just seems like no one really knows what their doing with this program because there is always something wrong with it. A lot of stuff just feels disabled or non-working, and the beta versions are always the complete version when the complete version is suppose to be better than the beta. Which means all the issues with the beta is going to be in the "complete/finished" version...Not being able to have multiple DAZ windows open is already a disappointment...

     

  • MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249

    Thanks a lot, I was just searching for that ! 

    Cyberdene said:

    Just wish for once they had a crew that could make the software actually flawless. Something in DAZ is always dying out or breaking

    I mean I download and now I can't even have no more than one window of DAZ open, the vignetting dont even work anymore either. I use to be able to have multiple Daz windows open So if one is rendering an image, I can be working on another image in another window of DAZ. But not anymore...I also noticed the lighting is all dimmed and dark as hell too for 4.11 in the preview. So I can barely see anything. I dont mean when I hit "render" I'm talking just the preview window

    when I load a scene or a figure, it's dark/dim. Even when I brighten my screen. So I had no choice but to go back to 4.12 again through the Daz Central method

    And I hate it because I can't even have multiple windows open anymore like in other versions of DAZ..It just seems like no one really knows what their doing with this program. A lot of stuff just feels disabled, and the beta version is still the same as the full version when the full version is suppose to be better than the beta.

    One can still create instances by using the script posted at the end of this post:

    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5112696/#Comment_5112696

    As for the dark scene, did you check the Render Settings? If you set it to Defaults, it should be fine.

     

  • operatoroperator Posts: 0

    Installed fine. All free starter content installed fine. No free starter content (including Genesis 8 starter essentials) will load. Complains about internet connection to do with postgre sql or w/e. i made simple custom firewall rules allowing all active processes for this program and it still says it can't load the content due to no connection.

    i was wanting a pro pack, admittedly for the bits, but if i can't even load the FREE stuff without an internet connection i'll keep using character creator. i'll check you all out in another year or so.

  • operator said:

    Installed fine. All free starter content installed fine. No free starter content (including Genesis 8 starter essentials) will load. Complains about internet connection to do with postgre sql or w/e. i made simple custom firewall rules allowing all active processes for this program and it still says it can't load the content due to no connection.

    i was wanting a pro pack, admittedly for the bits, but if i can't even load the FREE stuff without an internet connection i'll keep using character creator. i'll check you all out in another year or so.

    I think what is happening is that the content managment system isn't seeing the files as installed, so when you double-click it reads that as a request to download and install and pops-up a log-in dialogue. If you look at the Starter Essentials in the products tab of Smart Content do they have a greyed-out thumbnail (not installed) or a coloured icon, and if they have a coloured icon do they have a circled triangle icon at top-right?

  • Only after recently using DIM, which I usually don't, as installs with it are taking up more space than a manual install, I realized that 4.12 was available. I'd seen 4.11 and 4.12 listed on product pages, but I've been totally neglecting paying attention to my Daz version, just checking for updates through DS, so I'm still using 4.10x.

    So, I'm wondering if I should update or not. And I'm using MacOs.

  • skinklizzardskinklizzard Posts: 218

    My suggestion would be to get the public build beta 4.12 and install that alongside your current working 4.10, that way you can test and see if you actually want to update.

  • FixmypcmikeFixmypcmike Posts: 19,013

    Only after recently using DIM, which I usually don't, as installs with it are taking up more space than a manual install, I realized that 4.12 was available. I'd seen 4.11 and 4.12 listed on product pages, but I've been totally neglecting paying attention to my Daz version, just checking for updates through DS, so I'm still using 4.10x.

    So, I'm wondering if I should update or not. And I'm using MacOs.

    Because of the Apple-NVidia feud, GPU rendering in Iray won't work in the latest release (4.12.1.118).

  • GlenWebbGlenWebb Posts: 659

    My suggestion would be to get the public build beta 4.12 and install that alongside your current working 4.10, that way you can test and see if you actually want to update.

    I agree. Don't get rid of 4.10 unless you have a backup of it. I still use 4.10 and love it but have a 4.12 beta installed too. I rarely use 4.12 as the iRay requirements are too much for my GPU.
  • My suggestion would be to get the public build beta 4.12 and install that alongside your current working 4.10, that way you can test and see if you actually want to update.

    Thank you for this, if I had absentmindedly just installed 4.12, I would not have been able to use 4.10 to delete keyframes that I cannot delete in 4.12 (at least not without first figuring out where to redownload 4.10).

     

    GlenWebb said:

     

    I agree. Don't get rid of 4.10 unless you have a backup of it. I still use 4.10 and love it but have a 4.12 beta installed too. I rarely use 4.12 as the iRay requirements are too much for my GPU.

    Thank you. I'm using 3DL almost exclusively with Daz, as I have found Iray to be far too slow (not a complaint about the quality of the iray renders I'm seeing from people who do use it), and my comp is a 2015 with a 3.1 i7 cpu, and intel gpu, so I think I'll definitely avoid iray with 4.12.

  • Only after recently using DIM, which I usually don't, as installs with it are taking up more space than a manual install, I realized that 4.12 was available. I'd seen 4.11 and 4.12 listed on product pages, but I've been totally neglecting paying attention to my Daz version, just checking for updates through DS, so I'm still using 4.10x.

    So, I'm wondering if I should update or not. And I'm using MacOs.

    Because of the Apple-NVidia feud, GPU rendering in Iray won't work in the latest release (4.12.1.118).

    That may be ending soon with Nvidia being the only offering company to buy up ARM and with Apple's move to ARM processors/Architecture which is licensed from ARM. If it does happen and Nvidia gains control of ARM processors- it could likely mean a very large shift in Apple's computer design (which will end up being a good thing for everyone).

  • Having an issue with Face Transfer.  I purchased the Face Transfer package and trying to figure out a way of smoothing the skin out.  Since it is nearly impossible to get a shot where there isn't some shine off a flash or light, I get these strange highlights on the face.  Is there a way to easily clean the skin tone to a uniform skin tone to get rid of it?  Attached an image for example (circled hot spots I want adjusted in the model versus having to manual fix each time in Photoshop)

     

  • edited August 2020
    RayDAnt said:
    ooofest said:

    Can you test uninstalling the Octane plugin to see if the problem is still there?

     

    Yes, I've tried this various ways but uninstalling the Octane plugin for that particular Daz install (of 4.12.1.17 or later) relieves it from hanging on its shutdown. There may still be a long wait for it to clear the process, but it at least does clear eventually. That does not occur when the Octane plugin is installed for it.

     

    If the Octane plugin is installed for a different Daz instance and not another on the same system (e.g., having a general release and a public build), then only the one with the plugin installed will stall on its shutdown.

     

    Octane can be running as a plugin in Poser, Blender, standalone, etc. and has no effect on running Daz instances or their ability to shut down.

    This symptom only started since Daz 4.12.1.17.

    This is actually easy to test, because Octane for Daz is free for personal use: https://home.otoy.com/render/octane-render/demo/

    Set up a sandboxed install of DS 4.12.0.086 and DS 4.12.1.117 - each with Octane loaded - and found the same behavior as you: Closing 4.12.0.086 + Octane results in the Daz Studio process closing and memory resources being released almost immediately. Closing 4.12.1.117 + Octane results in the Daz Studio process migrating to background processes and memory resources continuing to be used seemingly indefinitely (which then leads to new instances of DS on the default General release channel being blocked from launching.)

    As to who/what is at fault...

    This is the final dozen lines of the changelog from 4.12.0.086 + Octane after loading/rendering a scene in the Octane viewport and then closing Daz Studio:

    2020-05-19 17:52:54.501 Loaded image g8fbasefacemapb_1001.jpg2020-05-19 17:52:54.576 Loaded image g8fbasemouthmapb_1005.jpg2020-05-19 17:52:54.814 Loaded image g8fbaselegsmaps_1003.jpg2020-05-19 17:52:55.010 Loaded image g8fbaselegsmapb_1003.jpg2020-05-19 17:52:55.205 Loaded image g8fbasearmsmapb_1004.jpg2020-05-19 17:52:55.450 Loaded image g8fbasearmsmaps_1004.jpg2020-05-19 17:52:55.505 Loaded image g8fbaseeyesb_1007.jpg2020-05-19 17:53:40.599 Iray [INFO] - IRT:RENDER ::   1.1   IRT    rend info : Shutting down irt render plugin.2020-05-19 17:53:42.117 *** Scene Cleared ***2020-05-19 17:53:42.314 DEBUG: End DAZ Studio to Hexagon Bridge log...2020-05-19 17:53:42.544 --------------- DAZ Studio 4.12.0.86 exited ------------------2020-05-19 17:53:42.544 ~

    And this is the final dozen lines of the changelog from 4.12.1.117 + Octane after loading/rendering a scene in the Octane viewport and then closing Daz Studio:

    2020-05-19 17:59:08.596 Loaded image Top_TopMain_Height.jpg2020-05-19 17:59:08.738 Loaded image Top_TopMain_Normal.jpg2020-05-19 17:59:08.765 Loaded image Top_Straps_Metallic.jpg2020-05-19 17:59:08.802 Loaded image Top_Skirt_Metallic.jpg2020-05-19 17:59:08.832 Loaded image Top_Skirt_Roughness.jpg2020-05-19 17:59:08.979 Loaded image Top_Skirt_Normal.jpg2020-05-19 17:59:09.009 Loaded image Top_Skirt_Height.jpg2020-05-19 17:59:09.231 Loaded image g8fbasetorsomaps_1002.jpg2020-05-19 17:59:09.400 Loaded image g8fbasetorsomapb_1002.jpg2020-05-19 17:59:09.655 Loaded image g8fbasefacemaps_1001.jpg2020-05-19 17:59:09.860 Loaded image g8fbasefacemapb_1001.jpg2020-05-19 17:59:09.925 Loaded image g8fbasemouthmapb_1005.jpg

     And, finally, this is the final dozen lines of the changelog from 4.12.1.117 + Octane after loading/rendering a scene in the Octane viewport, loading a new blank scene in the DS interface, and then closing Daz Studio:

    2020-05-19 18:22:24.407 Loaded image g8fbaseeyesb_1007.jpg2020-05-19 18:22:24.454 Loaded image Top_TopMain_Metallic.jpg2020-05-19 18:22:24.590 Loaded image Top_TopMain_Normal.jpg2020-05-19 18:22:24.616 Loaded image Top_TopMain_Height.jpg2020-05-19 18:22:24.662 Loaded image Top_TopMain_Roughness.jpg2020-05-19 18:22:24.683 Loaded image Top_Straps_Metallic.jpg2020-05-19 18:22:24.715 Loaded image Top_Skirt_Metallic.jpg2020-05-19 18:22:24.744 Loaded image Top_Skirt_Roughness.jpg2020-05-19 18:22:24.769 Loaded image Top_Skirt_Height.jpg2020-05-19 18:22:24.894 Loaded image Top_Skirt_Normal.jpg2020-05-19 18:23:39.450 *** Scene Cleared ***2020-05-19 18:23:48.386 Iray [INFO] - IRT:RENDER ::   1.1   IRT    rend info : Shutting down irt render plugin.

    Either Daz Studio or the Octane plugin clearly isn't getting some sort of expected response from the other needed to complete the shutdown process. And given that the Iray plugin clearly is getting whatever communique it needs in at least one of these final two test cases, I'm inclined to believe that this is a fault with the Octane plugin and not Daz Studio itself.

    Hi - I have been investigating this issue.  It is still happening on 4.12.2.  I think I know why....

    The plugin calls DzMainWindow::addShutDownCheck(DzShutDownCheck *check) to register a DzShutDownCheck function.

    DzMainWindow::addShutDownCheck(DzShutDownCheck *check) is defined in dzmainwindow.h of the 4.5.0.114 SDK.  However it is not documented in the 4.5.0.114 SDK documentation.

    DzShutDownCheck is also not documented.

    Is it possible the DAZStudio 4.12.2 has changed the behavior of the DzShutDownCheck?

    Paul

    Post edited by pkinnane_44e978d933 on
  • notiuswebnotiusweb Posts: 109

    Posted in Nuts n Bolts, but see that this thread is covering issues 4.12.1.118

     

    1) Following update none...NONE...of my Dforce Hair products work in Iray render, nor does Line Tesselation have any affect on Texture "Preview" or Iray render (Interactive & Photoreal) 

    2) Every Time I attempt to close Daz programk - File>Exit, or "X" out of program, I cannot reboot Daz again...UNTIL I manually go in Win10 Process manager and close out a running Background process of the Daz application.  It NEVER closes on its own

    Worked before update normally.

    -The Background process at least I can work around, so I don't really care about it. 

    -The Dforce one sucks, because nothing is working.  I can seemingly adjust Line Tesselation from 0 to as high as 12,000+ with no effect, I remember before that it would change things at 2-3.  Also, there was no new "Dforce starter essentials" so I uninstalled and reinstalled it, but still nothing working good.  Feels like Update broke it.

    DForceUpdate1.jpg
    1919 x 1041 - 414K
  • notiuswebnotiusweb Posts: 109

    UPDATE: to my above post, I tried using the 4.12 Beta I have, and all of the DForce works properly, both render by Iray and effect by Line Tessellation slider adjustment. 

    Also when closed, it closes itself ouit of the Process Manager like you would expect.  So both of my listed items work in Beta, but not on latest release.   But all on same machine...That's weird, right? 

  • notiuswebnotiusweb Posts: 109
    edited August 2020

    UPDATE 2:

    I compared settings in my Beta vs Pro related to Dforce in action during session:

    A) for the products themselves - 1) Parameters, 2) Surfaces 

    B) for the engine itself - Simulation Settings, Render Settings

     

    I have found both are identical in every listed node and attribute parameter.  I follow the same steps and can replicate detachment of the Dforce product from the character on both Beta and Pro, so you get a rather shapeless Dforce product floating in space, exactly the same.

    But when attaching the Dforce products to the character, this is when there is a difference - the Beta responds and shows a difference of the Dforce shape in the Texture Preview, and also likewise renders it as you would want.   But, the Pro does not; like it just never connects the product in display even though the object is conneted to the character in the scene menu.  I am wondering if there is a technical point breakdown between the scene menu and the display for the Dforce setttings in the Pro, such that the menu shows it as being attached to the character, but it really is not being attached.  Like, the menu is showing what you want (attached), and the display is correctly showing you what you actually really have (detached).  Just somehow the Scene menu and the display are not talking to eachother for Dforce.

    If anyone has any suggestions for what else engine-wise I could compare the Dforce-working Beta vs the Dforce-non-working Pro, I am very ready to take your guidance and troubleshoot comparitively.  I have a feeling the Pro-update has a bug which is presenting on my system in the form of Dforce, because the fact that Pro won't, when closed, release its used memory and close out of the Win10 Process manager, is weird.  Maybe that is tied into the Dforce running some ongoing unfinished process that never completes or something.

     

     

    Post edited by notiusweb on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 18,690
    notiusweb said:

    UPDATE 2:

    I compared settings in my Beta vs Pro related to Dforce in action during session:

    A) for the products themselves - 1) Parameters, 2) Surfaces 

    B) for the engine itself - Simulation Settings, Render Settings

     

    I have found both are identical in every listed node and attribute parameter.  I follow the same steps and can replicate detachment of the Dforce product from the character on both Beta and Pro, so you get a rather shapeless Dforce product floating in space, exactly the same.

    But when attaching the Dforce products to the character, this is when there is a difference - the Beta responds and shows a difference of the Dforce shape in the Texture Preview, and also likewise renders it as you would want.   But, the Pro does not; like it just never connects the product in display even though the object is conneted to the character in the scene menu.  I am wondering if there is a technical point breakdown between the scene menu and the display for the Dforce setttings in the Pro, such that the menu shows it as being attached to the character, but it really is not being attached.  Like, the menu is showing what you want (attached), and the display is correctly showing you what you actually really have (detached).  Just somehow the Scene menu and the display are not talking to eachother for Dforce.

    If anyone has any suggestions for what else engine-wise I could compare the Dforce-working Beta vs the Dforce-non-working Pro, I am very ready to take your guidance and troubleshoot comparitively.  I have a feeling the Pro-update has a bug which is presenting on my system in the form of Dforce, because the fact that Pro won't, when closed, release its used memory and close out of the Win10 Process manager, is weird.  Maybe that is tied into the Dforce running some ongoing unfinished process that never completes or something.

     

     

    Check to see if you have the same plugins installed and activated in each one. (Help>About Installed Plugins)

  • notiuswebnotiusweb Posts: 109
    edited August 2020
    barbult said:
    notiusweb said:

    UPDATE 2:

    I compared settings in my Beta vs Pro related to Dforce in action during session:

    A) for the products themselves - 1) Parameters, 2) Surfaces 

    B) for the engine itself - Simulation Settings, Render Settings

     

     

     

    Check to see if you have the same plugins installed and activated in each one. (Help>About Installed Plugins)

     

    Hi, thank you for taking interest and for providing your suggestion. I have found that most of th plugins are different versions.  I had 2 enabled in Pro not found in Beta (Alembic, and GoZ).  I disabled these and then found that nothing changed, I also was thinking maybe that I could try using the Dforce Smiklution plugin from th eBetya and put that in the Pro folder, to see if that would make a difference.

    It was by chance while navigating that I randomly noticed that I had some surface selection tool on the character when I dragged the pointer over it, like I couldn't pose the character limbs.  So I clicked on / switched to the Universal tool and BOOM!- all of the sudden the look of the Dforce products showed, and now work!  I can even suddenly render with Iray in Pro, no problem with Dforce!  Now, when I close out Daz it stil shows as using memory in the Process manager, which is weird.  But, it seemed that switching to the Universal too to pose the character activated evrything back to normal.  I don't know what mode it was on after the update, it was some face-selection tool, and I had not yet tried posing a character's limbs with the Universal tool.  Kind of a fluke, but AWESOME that you gave me the incentive to explore the tools beyond what I had already done. 

    If anyone has a Dforce issue make sure you are using the Univeral tool on your character, it may get it working.

    Barbult, Thank You!

     

    Post edited by notiusweb on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 18,690
    notiusweb said:
    barbult said:
    notiusweb said:

    UPDATE 2:

    I compared settings in my Beta vs Pro related to Dforce in action during session:

    A) for the products themselves - 1) Parameters, 2) Surfaces 

    B) for the engine itself - Simulation Settings, Render Settings

     

     

     

    Check to see if you have the same plugins installed and activated in each one. (Help>About Installed Plugins)

     

    Hi, thank you for taking interest and for providing your suggestion. I have found that most of th plugins are different versions.  I had 2 enabled in Pro not found in Beta (Alembic, and GoZ).  I disabled these and then found that nothing changed, I also was thinking maybe that I could try using the Dforce Smiklution plugin from th eBetya and put that in the Pro folder, to see if that would make a difference.

    It was by chance while navigating that I randomly noticed that I had some surface selection tool on the character when I dragged the pointer over it, like I couldn't pose the character limbs.  So I clicked on / switched to the Universal tool and BOOM!- all of the sudden the look of the Dforce products showed, and now work!  I can even suddenly render with Iray in Pro, no problem with Dforce!  Now, when I close out Daz it stil shows as using memory in the Process manager, which is weird.  But, it seemed that switching to the Universal too to pose the character activated evrything back to normal.  I don't know what mode it was on after the update, it was some face-selection tool, and I had not yet tried posing a character's limbs with the Universal tool.  Kind of a fluke, but AWESOME that you gave me the incentive to explore the tools beyond what I had already done. 

    If anyone has a Dforce issue make sure you are using the Univeral tool on your character, it may get it working.

    Barbult, Thank You!

    Good that it is working for you now. When you update Daz Studio to a new version, you also need to update the Daz Studio Plugins to match. So, it makes sense that the release version and the beta version might have different plugin versions. Just be sure that you have updated those plugins to match the Daz Studio update that you did.

  • RayDAnt said:
    ooofest said:

    Can you test uninstalling the Octane plugin to see if the problem is still there?

     

    Yes, I've tried this various ways but uninstalling the Octane plugin for that particular Daz install (of 4.12.1.17 or later) relieves it from hanging on its shutdown. There may still be a long wait for it to clear the process, but it at least does clear eventually. That does not occur when the Octane plugin is installed for it.

     

    If the Octane plugin is installed for a different Daz instance and not another on the same system (e.g., having a general release and a public build), then only the one with the plugin installed will stall on its shutdown.

     

    Octane can be running as a plugin in Poser, Blender, standalone, etc. and has no effect on running Daz instances or their ability to shut down.

    This symptom only started since Daz 4.12.1.17.

    This is actually easy to test, because Octane for Daz is free for personal use: https://home.otoy.com/render/octane-render/demo/

    Set up a sandboxed install of DS 4.12.0.086 and DS 4.12.1.117 - each with Octane loaded - and found the same behavior as you: Closing 4.12.0.086 + Octane results in the Daz Studio process closing and memory resources being released almost immediately. Closing 4.12.1.117 + Octane results in the Daz Studio process migrating to background processes and memory resources continuing to be used seemingly indefinitely (which then leads to new instances of DS on the default General release channel being blocked from launching.)

    As to who/what is at fault...

    This is the final dozen lines of the changelog from 4.12.0.086 + Octane after loading/rendering a scene in the Octane viewport and then closing Daz Studio:

    2020-05-19 17:52:54.501 Loaded image g8fbasefacemapb_1001.jpg2020-05-19 17:52:54.576 Loaded image g8fbasemouthmapb_1005.jpg2020-05-19 17:52:54.814 Loaded image g8fbaselegsmaps_1003.jpg2020-05-19 17:52:55.010 Loaded image g8fbaselegsmapb_1003.jpg2020-05-19 17:52:55.205 Loaded image g8fbasearmsmapb_1004.jpg2020-05-19 17:52:55.450 Loaded image g8fbasearmsmaps_1004.jpg2020-05-19 17:52:55.505 Loaded image g8fbaseeyesb_1007.jpg2020-05-19 17:53:40.599 Iray [INFO] - IRT:RENDER ::   1.1   IRT    rend info : Shutting down irt render plugin.2020-05-19 17:53:42.117 *** Scene Cleared ***2020-05-19 17:53:42.314 DEBUG: End DAZ Studio to Hexagon Bridge log...2020-05-19 17:53:42.544 --------------- DAZ Studio 4.12.0.86 exited ------------------2020-05-19 17:53:42.544 ~

    And this is the final dozen lines of the changelog from 4.12.1.117 + Octane after loading/rendering a scene in the Octane viewport and then closing Daz Studio:

    2020-05-19 17:59:08.596 Loaded image Top_TopMain_Height.jpg2020-05-19 17:59:08.738 Loaded image Top_TopMain_Normal.jpg2020-05-19 17:59:08.765 Loaded image Top_Straps_Metallic.jpg2020-05-19 17:59:08.802 Loaded image Top_Skirt_Metallic.jpg2020-05-19 17:59:08.832 Loaded image Top_Skirt_Roughness.jpg2020-05-19 17:59:08.979 Loaded image Top_Skirt_Normal.jpg2020-05-19 17:59:09.009 Loaded image Top_Skirt_Height.jpg2020-05-19 17:59:09.231 Loaded image g8fbasetorsomaps_1002.jpg2020-05-19 17:59:09.400 Loaded image g8fbasetorsomapb_1002.jpg2020-05-19 17:59:09.655 Loaded image g8fbasefacemaps_1001.jpg2020-05-19 17:59:09.860 Loaded image g8fbasefacemapb_1001.jpg2020-05-19 17:59:09.925 Loaded image g8fbasemouthmapb_1005.jpg

     And, finally, this is the final dozen lines of the changelog from 4.12.1.117 + Octane after loading/rendering a scene in the Octane viewport, loading a new blank scene in the DS interface, and then closing Daz Studio:

    2020-05-19 18:22:24.407 Loaded image g8fbaseeyesb_1007.jpg2020-05-19 18:22:24.454 Loaded image Top_TopMain_Metallic.jpg2020-05-19 18:22:24.590 Loaded image Top_TopMain_Normal.jpg2020-05-19 18:22:24.616 Loaded image Top_TopMain_Height.jpg2020-05-19 18:22:24.662 Loaded image Top_TopMain_Roughness.jpg2020-05-19 18:22:24.683 Loaded image Top_Straps_Metallic.jpg2020-05-19 18:22:24.715 Loaded image Top_Skirt_Metallic.jpg2020-05-19 18:22:24.744 Loaded image Top_Skirt_Roughness.jpg2020-05-19 18:22:24.769 Loaded image Top_Skirt_Height.jpg2020-05-19 18:22:24.894 Loaded image Top_Skirt_Normal.jpg2020-05-19 18:23:39.450 *** Scene Cleared ***2020-05-19 18:23:48.386 Iray [INFO] - IRT:RENDER ::   1.1   IRT    rend info : Shutting down irt render plugin.

    Either Daz Studio or the Octane plugin clearly isn't getting some sort of expected response from the other needed to complete the shutdown process. And given that the Iray plugin clearly is getting whatever communique it needs in at least one of these final two test cases, I'm inclined to believe that this is a fault with the Octane plugin and not Daz Studio itself.

    Hi - I have been investigating this issue.  It is still happening on 4.12.2.  I think I know why....

    The plugin calls DzMainWindow::addShutDownCheck(DzShutDownCheck *check) to register a DzShutDownCheck function.

    DzMainWindow::addShutDownCheck(DzShutDownCheck *check) is defined in dzmainwindow.h of the 4.5.0.114 SDK.  However it is not documented in the 4.5.0.114 SDK documentation.

    DzShutDownCheck is also not documented.

    Is it possible the DAZStudio 4.12.2 has changed the behavior of the DzShutDownCheck?

    Paul

    There are documents in the zip with the headers. As for the behaviour having chnaged, I'm told not and it seems that there's little to change since these features are used by the plug-in developer to clean up their code on close:

    The behavior of a DzShutDownCheck subclass is the responsibility of the developer of the plugin implementing it - DzShutDownCheck::needsCheck() and DzShutDownCheck::doCheck() are pure virtual member functions. When an instance of a DzShutDownCheck subclass is added to the list of shutdown checks, via DzMainWindow::addShutDownCheck(), it is placed in a list that is processed during the main window's close event, immediately before it emits the aboutToClose() signal. During said processing of said list, the DzShutDownCheck subclass' needsCheck() is called and its return value is used to determine whether or not its doCheck() should be called. If the DzShutDownCheck subclass' doCheck() is called and its return value is true, the application is allowed to continue closing. If, however, its return value is false, the close event for the main window is ignored - because the check has indicated that it is not ready (e.g., the user cancelled, data is not finished writing, etc) to shutdown.

Sign In or Register to comment.