Names

I just started using Hexagon and now I have finished the model, I was trying to change the names of all the objects, (shapes and forms) and everytime I exit the program and open up the program everthing goes back to shape or form name instead of the name I am giving them. I do save before I exit Hexagon.

Why won't it save the names I am giving them?

Thanks in advance for you help!

Comments

• I've never come across this. Can you fill in a Help Ticket - Contact Us at the bottom of this page.

Not sure if this will work, try saving something quick and simple as a HXN file and Export it as an OBJ, then bring them back in. 

• Oh that's an old quirk. Thing is we often do so many other things after renaming files that the names stick.

After renaming, click on the Accept button. Watch that name of file place, if there is no "*" - then Hexagon "sees" nothing to save. So fake a change on the mesh. As I recall even a simple selecting of a face, pull it out, Edit > Undo ... and voila, now Hexagon "sees" something to change. And in the process will hopefully save the names.

Now there is another matter with regards to what and how things get saved. The Shading Domains AND their corresponding materials MUST have the exact same name - or yes, Hexagon will also "correct" that matter. And no two [or more] surfaces can have the exact same material OR D/S will do something funky. Once in D/S, then one can apply the exact same colour, etc. to as many surfaces as desired.

• Thanks Catherine, I did not know that.

• You're welcome. Discovered the hard way too ;-)

The other naming quirk it has ... all 'groups' must have their own Shading Domain. If 2 or more groups share a shading domain, it has a tizzy fit. Thing is with this, one may not realize that there's going to be a problem until after export or upon opening a saved file. Sometimes to be sure everything is going as desired, I'll keep the instance of Hexagon open - and launch a second instance to open the saved file.

Sometimes in opening saved files all the colours go weird. That is one matter that is harder to solve. Not sure but I think it had something to do with that default mat it likes to apply to everything. Exporting out a model, closing Hexagon {only way to purge the mat memory} importing in the model - checking the colours - export out the model. Close Hexagon. Open Hexagon - import in the model and see if the colours are still there. Sometimes manually editing the .obj and/or .mtl files can help. However considering all the work this entails, it is usually much quicker simply to open the object in D/S and remove the default mat there, reassign the colours, add textures, etc. and then save out the prop file.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,219
    edited August 2020

I've never had that problem. Did you save the model file with a new name?  model-v1.hxn, model-v2.hxn, model-v3.hxn

Incremental saves are a good habit to get into.  You can delete the old ones later to save space,  but having backups come in handy. Plus using "save as" to a new file name will always save the changes you made.

Post edited by FirstBastion on
  • I've never had that problem. Did you save the model file with a new name?  model-v1.hxn, model-v2.hxn, model-v3.hxn

Incremental saves are a good habit to get into.  You can delete the old ones later to save space,  but having backups come in handy. Plus using "save as" to a new file name will always save the changes you made.

Well, for some reason it is keeping the names I give them now. Not sure what I was doing wrong, but at least it is working now.

Thanks everybody for your help!!

• ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 375
    edited September 2020

I just started using Hexagon and now I have finished the model, I was trying to change the names of all the objects, (shapes and forms) and everytime I exit the program and open up the program everthing goes back to shape or form name instead of the name I am giving them. I do save before I exit Hexagon.

Why won't it save the names I am giving them?

Thanks in advance for you help!

After changing a name of an object, you have to make an edit of some kind to your model for the name to stick. It's a legacy feature still of Hexagon.

Normally what I do is drag an object slightly anywhere after renaming it. Then UNDO the move before saving my model. The new name will stick. I only do the drag on the last object that I'm renaming. Because renaming an object is seen as an edit by Hexagon, so don't need to drag each object.

Post edited by ShawnDriscoll on