The "Animators Assemble!" thread for Daz animation WIPs, clips, and tips

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890
    Fishtales said:

I have done a bit more to Warg and this is iteration two. The render of the Lycan didn't want to play well with the Warg render and, because it is separate from the grass in the Warg render when put together in Vegas he looks as if he is running on top of it laugh Back to the grind.

Warg 2

super job

• DrGonzo62DrGonzo62 Posts: 221

Hi,
    I'm reposting this here instead of the gen dis thread, hoping that my question will be better understood here.

Is there a way to set the rotational keys in the timeline to use the local instead of the global rotation axis?

I'm trying to tweak an animated limb and moving the key in the timeline doesn't rotate around the local axis.
    And yes, I have selected "use local coordinates" in the rotation tool settings.

Thanks!

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,133
    edited July 2020

I'm not sure what your trying to rotate.A character? A Arm, leg, neck etc.?

To access the timeline rotations properties  open daz timeline >click your character or genesis8 under the properties panel > click general .> click transform> click rotations you'll see the X,Y,Z properties use parameters tabs to make the transformations or rotations adjustments.

If you need a specific body part to rotate like a arm or leg. hand fingure etc. . click that body part then access those bones for general transformation/rotation under the timelines properties the same way.  see screen shot.

some rotations or bends for body parts the graph editor will give better results for minor adjustment

Unless your more specific that is how you access the transform rotation under the timelines properties panel . I hope that helps

1.jpg
    1915 x 1041 - 181K
    2.jpg
    1922 x 1050 - 173K
    Post edited by Ivy on

New Karate girl animations

Click to play . Best viewed in 1080HD

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,040

Fishtales said:

I have done a bit more to Warg and this is iteration two. The render of the Lycan didn't want to play well with the Warg render and, because it is separate from the grass in the Warg render when put together in Vegas he looks as if he is running on top of it laugh Back to the grind.

Warg 2

super job

Moving on I have rendered everything at the same time instead of compositing each figure so the Lycan is no longer running on the grass. I also changed it to night.

Warg

edited July 2020

Thanks Ivy.

It seems it has to do with that particular animation I'm working on, and maybe the fact that it's an animation FBX import from Motionbuilder. Must have some strange rotations on the bones for som reason. I don't see that weird axis shift on a new G8.
    Oh well..

Post edited by DrGonzo62 on
    DrGonzo62 said:

Thanks Ivy.

It seems it has to do with that particular animation I'm working on, and maybe the fact that it's an animation FBX import from Motionbuilder. Must have some strange rotations on the bones for som reason. I don't see that weird axis shift on a new G8.
    Oh well..

Is it for a foot or hand? I know Maya Motions Builder has some weird rotations in the hands and feet that daz does not use or recognize . you actually have to click the hand or foot and go to parameters and unhide thase 2extra rotation & manually set the values for the dial.

edited July 2020
    Ivy said:
    DrGonzo62 said:

Thanks Ivy.

Oh well..

Is it for a foot or hand? I know Maya Motions Builder has some weird rotations in the hands and feet that daz does not use or recognize . you actually have to click the hand or foot and go to parameters and unhide thase 2extra rotation & manually set the values for the dial.

It's for a leg actually. With that animation, when I move the thighs Bend slider it also changes the Twist and Side-by-side values of that thigh bone. Really strange. As if the reference system for that bone was changed upon import into DS. But I don't think that this would be part of the FBX data.
    Luckily I don't have to make too many tweaks in DS to clean up the animation.

edited July 2020

How can I delete pose control keys in the timeline?

I'd like to have a characters expression stay the same throughout an animation sequence. Since there are already keys on some of the expressions I need to delete those, but the only way to do that seems to be by selecting that parameter and then deleting those keys in the graph editor. Except that DS won't let me, and delete key is greyed out.

Is there even any other way to see pose control keys and to delete them in bulk? In the dope sheet for example?

Thanks.

OK, thinking about this some more - I guess there really are no pose control keys. Only several bone keys that have been tweaked by a single pose or expression. And thats why those keys in the timeline that are displayed for a characters pose really are a collection of keys.
    At least I'm able to drag a bunch of them where I need them to be, even if they can't be deleted. Other than goin into each bone effected by that pose and to delete the keys there. Not a very animation friendly concept I must say.

timeline.jpg
    1919 x 532 - 123K
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106
    Ivy said:

New animation . I did everything but the film editing completely within daz studio 4.12.0.85 with 2 -1080ti's

Best viewed in 1080hd  Click to play 3 minute animation

That's really cool, Ivy!

Diomede said:

Hello, world.

Introducing myself here.  Just dipping my toe in the thread.  So much awesome stuff.  I especially like reading about all the different workflows that you folks have.  

I have been dabbling with stills, primarily in Carrara and more recently in Studio.  My original intent was scifi comics.  Recently, my interest has been drifitng toward animations.  Visually, I'm not interested in photorealism.  I prefer stylized figures.  Over time, I've been attracted towards a claymation appearance.  Think of the holiday specials by Hannah and Barbera.  Whether the end result will be the figures I have been modeling myself or custom morphs of Daz3D figures remains to be seen.  Either way, the transfer utility in Daz Studio is a great resource as a plugin.

I am truly at the very first step.  So much so, that my first attempts to get feedback for the Fluidos plugin got my youtube account flagged for a warning (just a landscape, fountain, and water -argh! makes no sense).  So I don't even have a stable place for my test videos yet.

But to qualify for the thread, the following was my first attempt at an animation.  Everything modeled and rendered in Carrara.  It is a car chase, not one of my claymation figures.

Cool! Fun to see you animating, Diomede! Keep rockin' it!

DrGonzo62 said:

Hi,
    I'm reposting this here instead of the gen dis thread, hoping that my question will be better understood here.

Is there a way to set the rotational keys in the timeline to use the local instead of the global rotation axis?

I'm trying to tweak an animated limb and moving the key in the timeline doesn't rotate around the local axis.
    And yes, I have selected "use local coordinates" in the rotation tool settings.

Thanks!

Have you ever purchased aniMate 2? The free version that ships with Daz Studio is fine for loading animBlocks and rendering the video, but the Paid version gets you the abilty to bake either to the timeline or from the timeline into an aniBlock, and then we can edit the motions using the powerful aniMate 2 tools. 

For example - I think this might relate to your specific question:

GoFigure3D has some really nice, short tutorials here

To do this for your situation, simply bake your animation to aniBlock, then use the method in the above video to edit the motion. This one shows another way to edit the 'path' of the motion using splines. It's really short too:

I haven't used these tools yet since I just edit my animations in Carrara, which is my favortie for animating. 

Check this out. None of the motions are default - I've edited every one of them.

DrGonzo62 said:

How can I delete pose control keys in the timeline?

I'd like to have a characters expression stay the same throughout an animation sequence. Since there are already keys on some of the expressions I need to delete those, but the only way to do that seems to be by selecting that parameter and then deleting those keys in the graph editor. Except that DS won't let me, and delete key is greyed out.

Is there even any other way to see pose control keys and to delete them in bulk? In the dope sheet for example?

Thanks.

OK, thinking about this some more - I guess there really are no pose control keys. Only several bone keys that have been tweaked by a single pose or expression. And thats why those keys in the timeline that are displayed for a characters pose really are a collection of keys.
    At least I'm able to drag a bunch of them where I need them to be, even if they can't be deleted. Other than goin into each bone effected by that pose and to delete the keys there. Not a very animation friendly concept I must say.

Well, in Carrara (which doesn't accept these newer figures) this is a great method for animating a character. I really wish that Daz 3D would make Genesis 3 and 8 compatible with Carrara. But I digress.

It's actually really handy and powerful to be able to control expressions via bones rather than morphs, though since I work with Genesis 2 and 3 shapes applied to a Genesis 1 figure, I use the morphs method, which really is an easy way to do it - just less actual control over the mesh shape of the face.

Ivy said:

That ought to teach those crazy thieves to mess with Karate Girl!!! Awesome!

DrGonzo62 said:

Well, in Carrara (which doesn't accept these newer figures) this is a great method for animating a character. I really wish that Daz 3D would make Genesis 3 and 8 compatible with Carrara. But I digress.

It's actually really handy and powerful to be able to control expressions via bones rather than morphs, though since I work with Genesis 2 and 3 shapes applied to a Genesis 1 figure, I use the morphs method, which really is an easy way to do it - just less actual control over the mesh shape of the face.

Thanks for your feedback.
    I do 95% of my animation work in Motionbuilder and only do minor tweaks in DS, prepping for final render. I just don't have the patience trying to animate in DS exclusively. And let's face it, as nice as DS renders - it is a product meant to sell assets to the consumer, and that puts a premium on single frame renders where a lot of different assets are needed for various images, and not on animation work where you will spend days, weeks or months working with the same assets until you can finally move on. And that is why DS is what it is.

Ivy said:

New animation . I did everything but the film editing completely within daz studio 4.12.0.85 with 2 -1080ti's

That's really cool, Ivy!

Ivy said:

Thank you very much Dartanbeck smiley

DrGonzo62 said:
    DrGonzo62 said:

Thanks for your feedback.
    I do 95% of my animation work in Motionbuilder and only do minor tweaks in DS, prepping for final render. I just don't have the patience trying to animate in DS exclusively. And let's face it, as nice as DS renders - it is a product meant to sell assets to the consumer, and that puts a premium on single frame renders where a lot of different assets are needed for various images, and not on animation work where you will spend days, weeks or months working with the same assets until you can finally move on. And that is why DS is what it is.

Right. I only use Daz Studio as an additional toolkit myself. When I first bought Carrara, I also bought aniMate 2 and the aniBlock Importer for Carrara. 

Daz Studio does a really decent job of importing BVH motion files onto whatever Daz Base Figure we use. aniMate 2 (paid) has those extra tools that help tweak the motion data to our needs. For example, I don't need any (not a single one) of the motions that come with GoFigure's At the Park collection, yet I still use the motion capture data for other motions that I do need just by changing the arms or something else - and I often don't use the head motions either. Sculpt those myself with key frames. 

I'm not trying to sell you on this, but from what it sounded like you were trying to do, it seems like a viable answer to grab aniMate 2 and use those tools to tweak the limbs you want to your liking.

In Carrara, we can very easily just grab any number of key frames (even down to the smallest levels, like only the x rotation, for example) and do what we want with them. Then we can open them in the graph editor and tweak them even more. We also have a good number of different tweeners to use, especially with Fenric's plugin that allows us to layer multiple tweeners together. Oscillate lets us play between two key frames at whatever interval we give it and can even set the interpolation to bounce, which curves and spikes the interpolation between each oscillation. Very cool... very useful for Many things!

Here are a some articles I've started on the subjects:

These articles will grow as I build more and delve deeper into these topics. I've only just begun these articles and have a lot in the works as we speak!

Ivy said:
    Ivy said:

That's really cool, Ivy!

Ivy said:

Thank you very much Dartanbeck smiley

Thank You, Ivy, for the wonderful entertainment! smiley

• Z FamilyZ Family Posts: 32

Hello all!
    It's been a while since I posted anything on the forum. Here is a wip from one of my scenes from my short film.
    Here a lot of work and forced to make the rendering with canvases. Hope you'll enjoy it!

• That looks really good Z!, I especially like the level of attention you've put into background elements, great job!  I'm really looking forward to seeing more.

• Z FamilyZ Family Posts: 32

That looks really good Z!, I especially like the level of attention you've put into background elements, great job!  I'm really looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks Bryan! It will be online soon!

That looks really good Z!, I especially like the level of attention you've put into background elements, great job!  I'm really looking forward to seeing more.

Agreed! +1!!!

Z Family said:

Hello all!
    It's been a while since I posted anything on the forum. Here is a wip from one of my scenes from my short film.
    Here a lot of work and forced to make the rendering with canvases. Hope you'll enjoy it!

great start to something bigger. nice clean animations. Nice work

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,750
    I have been busy with my content creation migration over to CC3& Iclone 7.

Such a joy to be using an all realtime pipeline from modeling to animating to rendering.

That is Very Cool, Wolf!

That is Very Cool, Wolf!

Thanks Dartenbeck, Here is a look dev shot from my next major animation project rendered in Iclone

The command officer's uinform and the HALO Spartan power armor are my original content modeled with Blender

The environment is the old legacy Darkstar set by stonemason, converted to iclone via, the 3D exchange application.

I will likely be rendering most of my interior shots in Iclone with only large outdoor shots sent over to Blender for rendering in the EEVEE realtime engine.
    DARKSTAR RESAVED 2.png
    1000 x 563 - 777K
  • I imagine most of you already saw this, but Daz just released a series of free bridges between Studio and Blender, 3ds Max, Cinema4d and Maya

Haven't tested any of them yet, but I think now this might be an interesting option, especially since they seemed to have fixed the import of Gen3 and Gen8 characters, which was one of the issues that was stopping me from trying Blender out.

Plus, Rokoko has issued a free plugin to bring in FBX and do realtime with Blender.  Even if you don't have a Rokoko mocap suit, the plugin helps with accelerating fbx import into Blender and retarget any motion capture https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HitTDDCfhJg&list=PL0nPCZDbYnmsWRFkn6M8TAp0d5v5d_znM&index=57&t=0s

Hi Bryan I just installed the ROKOKO plugin but have had Zero time to experiment!!
    I do not own a ROKOKO mocap suit but will look into the the retargetin features when time permits
    screen.png
    1000 x 588 - 482K
  • Hi Wolf, I haven't had much chance to experiment either (although I do have a suit), but the retargeting portion is why I though this might be interesting to this group, because it is non specific (so if you have mixamo mocap data or any other).  Let me know what you experience.  I've been rather busy doing beta testing for Stretchsense, Bondware and some other apps.

OK... Sadly this one is a no go for me as it requires a constant internet connection to function and my new PC is offline most of the time for security reasons.