UltraScenery [Commercial]

Comments

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,766
    L'Adair said:

@Artini, TBH, it looks you don't actually have the required The Harpwood Trail for Daz Studio. Or it isn't installed, if you do. We saw the same thing from others who bought the Pines addon, but didn't have the required Pines product.

Thanks for the help.

Yes, I have only installed 1 file from The Harpwood Trail, but apparently there were 4 files in total, to install.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,126
    edited June 2020
    DMax said:
    barbult said:

That is really coming along nicely. What is that gray band between the land and the clouds? Is your horizon too high and that is the bottom of the HDRI? I've struggled with that kind of issue. I'm not yet sure of the best solution.

Does it work if you were to Y-translate the HDRI within the Environment map? When such issues crop up, I usually either translate or rotate and it usually solves the problem, mine at least! :P

That is an option, but I have a problem figuring out how far it needs to be moved. I have also tried rotating it on X and Z axes, but that seems subject to the Y rotation and is also not straight forward for me. I have aslo tried moving the UltraScene terrain and the camera. Not sure which is best to do.

Post edited by barbult on
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,420
    barbult said:
    daveso said:

OK ..here restricted to actual camera instead of perspective camera. made all the difference in the world. now to work on background. i dont remember if i selected to extend. will try that 1st. 

That is really coming along nicely. What is that gray band between the land and the clouds? Is your horizon too high and that is the bottom of the HDRI? I've struggled with that kind of issue. I'm not yet sure of the best solution.

yes, it is the horizon line.  The other day I had asked how to figure out the height of any particular spot on the terrain .. What Ive noticed it that if you adjust the ground too much, you end up looking at the bottom, and it is often that it is not possible to pivot enough to hide tha thorizon line. I thought it better to raise the camera maybe to overcome some of it. I also would like to have my camera placed at eye height, but depending on terrain height, it could be at 50 or even 550, but I have no idea how to know, as the y translate is always zero. Perhaps placeing an object there would be a way to know. Drop the bottom of it to the terrain.  ... Maybe the Best choice there is to have another object in the background.... like terradome terrain or something. 

edited June 2020

After adding the other 3 files from The Harpwood Trail,

the trees appear on the render.

ter205sc05pic01.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by Artini on
    Artini said:

After adding the other 3 files from The Harpwood Trail,

the trees appear on the render.

that is really good. 

daveso said:
    barbult said:
    daveso said:

OK ..here restricted to actual camera instead of perspective camera. made all the difference in the world. now to work on background. i dont remember if i selected to extend. will try that 1st. 

yes, it is the horizon line.  The other day I had asked how to figure out the height of any particular spot on the terrain .. What Ive noticed it that if you adjust the ground too much, you end up looking at the bottom, and it is often that it is not possible to pivot enough to hide tha thorizon line. I thought it better to raise the camera maybe to overcome some of it. I also would like to have my camera placed at eye height, but depending on terrain height, it could be at 50 or even 550, but I have no idea how to know, as the y translate is always zero. Perhaps placeing an object there would be a way to know. Drop the bottom of it to the terrain.  ... Maybe the Best choice there is to have another object in the background.... like terradome terrain or something. 

think the top of the water is always at Y=0. I should go verify that. The terrain height depends on the noise map, the height map, and the max altitude you specify. I think it can be drastically different from scene to scene. It is amazing how much I've used UltraScenery and how many things there are yet to learn. Camera positioning can be a challenge, I agree. Once I thought there should be a camera position add on, but then I realized that every terrain is different, so how could you do that? It might work for some cameras positioned over features that are created at absolute height, like I think water is. Maybe I will experiment with camera positions in the middle of the pond, at the mouth of a river, etc. and see if that is consistent from terrain to terrain that use those features. 
    I wonder if it would be possible for UltraScenery to create some cameras for each UltraScene, positioned at strategic places at the height appropriate for the terrain generated at that point (e.g at 5 feet above the terrain at that point.). Of course, the camera might end up inside or behind a tree trunk or mountain side or some other blocking feature. It doesn't seem to be a straightforward problem to solve automagically.
    I've mentioned before that I have used Canary's Cameras successfully, I simply raise the whole camera group on the Y axis until the view seems about right. There are always a few very good views among the cameras in the set. And there are some bad views that still end up underground or blocked by terrain or vegetation. I find them a convenient starting point, though. I like the 1K and 2K high and low cameras.

• GoggerGogger Posts: 2,302
    barbult said:
    daveso said:
    barbult said:
    daveso said:

think the top of the water is always at Y=0. I should go verify that. The terrain height depends on the noise map, the height map, and the max altitude you specify. I think it can be drastically different from scene to scene. It is amazing how much I've used UltraScenery and how many things there are yet to learn. Camera positioning can be a challenge, I agree. Once I thought there should be a camera position add on, but then I realized that every terrain is different, so how could you do that? It might work for some cameras positioned over features that are created at absolute height, like I think water is. Maybe I will experiment with camera positions in the middle of the pond, at the mouth of a river, etc. and see if that is consistent from terrain to terrain that use those features. 
    I wonder if it would be possible for UltraScenery to create some cameras for each UltraScene, positioned at strategic places at the height appropriate for the terrain generated at that point (e.g at 5 feet above the terrain at that point.). Of course, the camera might end up inside or behind a tree trunk or mountain side or some other blocking feature. It doesn't seem to be a straightforward problem to solve automagically.
    I've mentioned before that I have used Canary's Cameras successfully, I simply raise the whole camera group on the Y axis until the view seems about right. There are always a few very good views among the cameras in the set. And there are some bad views that still end up underground or blocked by terrain or vegetation. I find them a convenient starting point, though. I like the 1K and 2K high and low cameras.

I second the generated cameras idea!  No promise that they will be awesome, or perfect, just something to start working with at various locations that doesn't require two-handed mouse-wheel scrolling. Even as simple as four corners, center/middle of tile, and centered along the outside edges facing in. I'd pay for that add-on!  It is easy enough to change the focal length, aspect ratio and other elements of a camera to each individual's liking oneself.  

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    barbult said:
    daveso said:

I looked this up before answering, and you folks got much of what I verified already discussed. lol

There was one thing not mentioned, however: If you're not using an HDRI, there is an "SS Horizon Height" parameter which allows you to raise or lower the Horizon. It is available in all Environment Modes, except Scene Only, regardless of the Dome Mode. The parameter will not show up, (or work if you show hidden parameters,) when using an image in the Environment Map parameter, (either Dome Only or Dome and Scene modes.)

I hope this helps someone at some point!
    laugh

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

These are using "Clear Sky 30" from Denki Gaka's IBL Sky. To lower the horizon, I changed the Dome Mode to "Finite Sphere with Ground" then set Ground Position to Manual, then changed Ground Origin Y to -1,000.

InfiniteSphereHorizon.jpg
    1000 x 563 - 535K
    FiiniteSphereWGroundNoHorizon.jpg
    1000 x 563 - 510K
    Gogger said:
    barbult said:
    daveso said:
    barbult said:
    daveso said:

I second the generated cameras idea!  No promise that they will be awesome, or perfect, just something to start working with at various locations that doesn't require two-handed mouse-wheel scrolling. Even as simple as four corners, center/middle of tile, and centered along the outside edges facing in. I'd pay for that add-on!  It is easy enough to change the focal length, aspect ratio and other elements of a camera to each individual's liking oneself.  

Take a look at Canary's Cameras. It does pretty much what you are askng for. It is easy to raise or lower the whole camera set together, too.

dawnblade said:

These are using "Clear Sky 30" from Denki Gaka's IBL Sky. To lower the horizon, I changed the Dome Mode to "Finite Sphere with Ground" then set Ground Position to Manual, then changed Ground Origin Y to -1,000.

that is mighty good laugh

Thanks a lot, daveso.

barbult said:
    Gogger said:
    barbult said:
    daveso said:
    barbult said:
    daveso said:

Take a look at Canary's Cameras. It does pretty much what you are askng for. It is easy to raise or lower the whole camera set together, too.

Thanks @barbult, I do already have those cameras, but haven't gotten a chance to play with them yet.

Gogger said:
    barbult said:
    Gogger said:
    barbult said:
    daveso said:
    barbult said:
    daveso said:

Thanks @barbult, I do already have those cameras, but haven't gotten a chance to play with them yet.

You want to use the scene cameras. I use mostly 1K and 2K.

• blosseblosse Posts: 46
    blosse said:

I have all the UltraScenery products and used DIM to install. I'm running version 1.1.0 of UltraScenery.

Any scene I try to create with Woodland 4 gives me an error reading file see log.

2020-06-22 02:06:41.765 WARNING: Script Error: Line 425
    2020-06-22 02:06:41.765 WARNING: SyntaxError: Unable to parse JSON string
    2020-06-22 02:06:41.765 WARNING: Stack Trace:
        <anonymous>()@N:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/environments/landscapes/ultrascenery/ultrascenecreator.dse:425
    2020-06-22 02:06:41.765 Error in script execution: N:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/environments/landscapes/ultrascenery/ultrascenecreator.dse

When UltraScenery was first released I did not get this error, I could create scenes using Woodland 4 but, now after updates and add-ons it does not work when I try to create a scene with Woodland 4. I've already tried reinstallng UltraScenery but that has not fixed this problem.

Have found a typo in that ecology json, fixed and submitting to Daz now.

Thank you

edited July 2020

I experimented with creating some cameras for the Pond feature and the River 1 feature.

• These camera presets are free for you to use and modify in Daz Studio. Please don't post them elsewhere, don't claim them as your own creation, and don't try to sell them. If everybody plays nice, I'll probably create more. 
    • To install: Unzip the attached file and open the Content folder. Copy the Camera Presets folder (and everything in it) to your content library, just like any manual product install.
    • This is not packaged as a "product". You will find the camera presets inside Daz Studio in Content Library under "Camera Presets/barbult/UltraScenery Cameras". There will be two files: BCam USC Pond Set and BCam USC River 1 Set. Just double click one of them to load the cameras into your scene. You may need to adjust the height of the cameras, depending on the height of your terrain. The cameras over water should not need much, if any, height adjustment. The two over land in the river set may need height adjustment and may be blocked by vegetation, depending on your chosen ecology. If a camera near the pond shore is blocked by trees on shore, just move it a little closer to the pond center.
    • These were designed for two specific UltraScenery features (Pond and River 1). You can also try them with other features if you wish.
    • The naming convention is
      • N = North (camera is on the north end of the terrain)
      • S = South
      • E = East
      • W = West
      • C = Center
      • CN = Center North ( Between Center and North)
      • CS = Center South
    • Have fun!
    • Let me know if you have problems.

Edit July 10, 2020: Updated the camera sets to add a set for the River 2 feature.

zip
    zip
    barbult UltraScenery Cameras 2.zip
    Post edited by barbult on

Here are a couple images I created with the camera sets I posted. These are the River 1 set with one of the Harpwood ecologies.

barbult cameras USC River 1 N.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 1M
    barbult cameras USC River 1 S.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 996K
  • DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,889
    barbult said:

I experimented with creating some cameras for the Pond feature and the River 1 feature.

• These camera presets are free for you to use and modify in Daz Studio. Please don't post them elsewhere, don't claim them as your own creation, and don't try to sell them. If everybody plays nice, I'll probably create more. 
    • To install: Unzip the attached file and open the Content folder. Copy the Camera Presets folder (and everything in it) to your content library, just like any manual product install.
    • This is not packaged as a "product". You will find the camera presets inside Daz Studio in Content Library under "Camera Presets/barbult/UltraScenery Cameras". There will be two files: BCam USC Pond Set and BCam USC River 1 Set. Just double click one of them to load the cameras into your scene. You may need to adjust the height of the cameras, depending on the height of your terrain. The cameras over water should not need much, if any, height adjustment. The two over land in the river set may need height adjustment and may be blocked by vegetation, depending on your chosen ecology. If a camera near the pond shore is blocked by trees on shore, just move it a little closer to the pond center.
    • These were designed for two specific UltraScenery features (Pond and River 1). You can also try them with other features if you wish.
      • S = South
      • E = East
      • W = West
      • C = Center
      • CS = Center South
    • Have fun!

Thank you!

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,310
    barbult said:

• S = South
      • E = East
      • W = West
      • C = Center
      • CS = Center South
    • Have fun!

Barbult,

Many thanks. I will give these a try when I get a spare minute.

Cheers,

Alex.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,039

Many of the addons are incredible. But.. I think it'll take a long time to explore the limits of the basic UltraScenery even without any of the add-ons. I adore the pines and Harpwood trail and.. I'll bankrupt myself if I don't look out. Anyway, restricting everything to the basic UltraScenery is hardly a restriction at all:

(That image makes me say 'Go on, fall in'.. cheeky)

Regards,

Richard.

barbult said:

• S = South
      • E = East
      • W = West
      • C = Center
      • CS = Center South
    • Have fun!

Great, thanks.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,723
    edited June 2020

Wow, I had to work for a day on editing and on metadata on new (V4/M4 to V3/M3) purchases from DAZ and missed 2 1/2 pages of great work and information. Seriously folks, this needs to be compiled as an add-on tutorial! So many ways to help each other by using existing products, or features in DS or in this product. 

@Artini, Loved the images you got from the height maps. I hope you enjoyed them. What I loved about the site is you can put in a location and zoom in. For those who want to do renders in Europe, Asia, or anywhere, you could put in the location and get a height map for it. 

@AllenArt, Are you sure you don't have a camera lens to a village into the Dark Ages? So realistic. 

@RichardandTracy, Love the feel of the walk.

Barbult put me on to Canary's Cameras and I try to remember to load the two sets she mentioned before I start to work in UltraScenery. They are super easy to use. 

@Barbult, thank you for the camera package, it will have to be later today that I can get to them. Another heavy editing day for me. Work first. 

Mary

Post edited by memcneil70 on

Thanks @Barbuilt for the cameras. 

Canarys Cameras are on sale right now - 55% off
    https://www.daz3d.com/canarys-cameras

barbult said:

Here are a couple images I created with the camera sets I posted. These are the River 1 set with one of the Harpwood ecologies.

Those images are AWESOME!  I love the light play in both!

• DMaxDMax Posts: 637
    edited June 2020

My first "quick" render with a functioning UltraScenery and I don't know how I previously lived out my DAZ life without this product! Am definitely going to purchase all the add-ons!
    But I really do have to stop shopping here in order to save up for a PC+NVidia... this Macbook render took 8h (got to 20%) and still produces something this grainy.

ps. how does one post an image within the post instead of attaching it?

TowerHutForestNight-Hi.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 818K
    Post edited by DMax on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    DMax said:

Set up the post as normal with the image as an attachment. Submit the post. Click on the image thumbnail and copy the url of the full image. Come back to submitted post, edit the post and insert the image with the image gizmo, using the URL that you copied. Set the size and how you want the image to open when clicked or not and resave/resubmit the post. Hope that made sense. LOL.

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723
    edited June 2020

Thanks @daveso. That technique should work with any HDRI.

@DMax: Once you attach an image, right-click it and open in new window/tab. Go to that window/tab and delete the word "thumbnail" and the following "/", then copy that url.

Then in the forum's editor, select the "Image" icon and paste your url there. Change Width in that pop-up to 800. Go to Link tab and paste url there, then set target as "New Window."

Post edited by dawnblade on
    edited June 2020
    AllenArt said:
    DMax said:

Set up the post as normal with the image as an attachment. Submit the post. Click on the image thumbnail and copy the url of the full image. Come back to submitted post, edit the post and insert the image with the image gizmo, using the URL that you copied. Set the size and how you want the image to open when clicked or not and resave/resubmit the post. Hope that made sense. LOL.

FYI: Bear in mind gigantic images inserted into your post will distort and look goofy when viewed. If you set the width to around 600 or 700 they should display without distortion. 

[Edit] OOPS - was typing while dawnblade and I were posting the same info.  I think 800, as dawnblade stated is the widest possible before distortion occurs.

Post edited by Gogger on
  • DMaxDMax Posts: 637
    AllenArt said:

You're a genius and if all my teachers at school explained as well as you did, I would have had been an all-star student!! <3 <3 <3

• Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153

Wow.  This is the SECOND product I've picked up recently where the Product Page requirements & the Package don't match.

I don't care who, but someone certainly needs to get their feces accumulated on the marketing end of things! 

Shameful!

MossyHollow Reqs Online.jpg
    1152 x 892 - 273K
    MossyHollow Package Reqs.jpg
    664 x 929 - 168K
This discussion has been closed.