Carrara Challenge # 52 - Carrara Cryptids WIP thread--Entries Ended

12345679»

Comments

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited June 2020

Our Impulsive Endeavor to Approach the Elusive Beast

M3, Genesis, and Eastern Dragon are the characters, and the balloon is Montgolfiere.

The rest is all Carrara.

Sometimes I forget that Carrara has insane environment-creation capabilities.  For this render, I used the Spectral Clouds preset, and modifed it to suit my needs.  Examining the various elements more closely was a great learning experience.

Didn't even need to use GMIC. :)

No postwork

Our Impulsive Endeavor to Approach .png
    1917 x 1639 - 4M
    Our Impulsive Carrara setup.JPG
    1545 x 987 - 301K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
    Diomede said:

Revisited the sea demons image, primarily adjusted the brightness and contrast.

The extra light was a great idea.  Creepy monsters and lighting.  Looks right out of a 1940's pulp magazine.

Your best characters ever!  Really magical characters and environment.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,713

M3, Genesis, and Eastern Dragon are the characters, and the balloon is Montgolfiere.

The rest is all Carrara.

Sometimes I forget that Carrara has insane environment-creation capabilities.  For this render, I used the Spectral Clouds preset, and modifed it to suit my needs.  Examining the various elements more closely was a great learning experience.

No postwork

Love the landscape !!

• CbirdCbird Posts: 493

Hi folks, Entries are now closed, and some cryptids that got away are now slinking off into the shadows. Info on how to vote will appear shortly (I hope). I really loved all the creativity on display and want to say thank you for all the new tips and ideas.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,225
    edited June 2020
    Cbird said:

Hi folks, Entries are now closed, and some cryptids that got away are now slinking off into the shadows. Info on how to vote will appear shortly (I hope). I really loved all the creativity on display and want to say thank you for all the new tips and ideas.

You ran an awesome challenge!!! Bravo!

I mean... look at those entires!!! So cool! The WIPS are just amazing too!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,804
    Cbird said:

+1

on that yes

Stezza said:
    Cbird said:

+1

on that yes

+2 !!!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

Here are some screen grabs of the...basis of the vegetation. Purple flower petals painted in Carrara using 3D paint. Same 4 quad leaf recycled endlessly...

wow Carrara Paint is obviously an underloved resource!

Edited to say: the far lower left corner image of the bush is a Surface Replicator using a super low rez wonky object as its base, with the twigs and leaf object replicated....haphazardly. Don't get too close.

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

Thanks for the nice comment UnifiedBrain!

Our Impulsive Endeavor to Approach the Elusive Beast - really great work on the landscape, nice sense of the depth.

The rest is all Carrara.

No postwork

can I say 'wow' again - because even if I can't I will - Wow. That is so clean and bright with a brilliant camera viewpoint - just  right to tell the narrative

Cbird said:

great job Cbird -0 very impressive, thank you for being such a thoughtful host person :)

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

Thank you Cbird for hosting the challenge, I really enjoyed the theme and seeing the great art everyone created. I always learn new things about Carrara. Awesome!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,839

some beautiful works here indeed yes

edited June 2020

Thank you all for the kind comments and particularly to UB who offered tremedously helpful advice. I'm shamelessly stealing Headwax's format for voting from the last challenge.

Well how to vote 

1) VOTE FOR UPTO 3 (THREE) WORKS - IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER

Entry #: 
    Title: 
    Artist: 

2) ALSO VOTE 1 (ONE)  WORK FOR THE MOST HUMOROUS  (NB: this can be one of the three in section 1 if you like)

Kind comments on why you voted for a work are also very welcome :)

Voting Closes in about a week - say end of Wednesday June 10th - Daz Utah Time - unless it needs to be extended.

Lots of people voting will be a good thing!

VOTE HERE: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/409876/carrara-challenge-52-carrara-cryptids-entry-thread-voting-now-open-please-vote

Post edited by Cbird on

Bunyip02, DesertDude, and Headwax, thanks for the comments on the balloon render.  The preset cut the landscape creation time by 90%.  Again - and you all know this, but the casual reader of this thread may not - Carrara is capable of creating incredibly realistic environments.  The more I learn, the more amazed I am at what it can do.

The evolution of this render was that I was just opening some preset scenes (for the first time after 3 years in Carrara!) to see how good they were.  Wow.  The ideas flowed from there.

Headwax said:

The rest is all Carrara.

No postwork

can I say 'wow' again - because even if I can't I will - Wow. That is so clean and bright with a brilliant camera viewpoint - just  right to tell the narrative

+1!!!

Headwax said:

Here are some screen grabs of the...basis of the vegetation. Purple flower petals painted in Carrara using 3D paint. Same 4 quad leaf recycled endlessly...

What a bummer! Carrara's 3D Paint ROCKS!!!

Sure, it might be a bit finicky for some things, but that's okay. 

After buying all of the Digital Painters stuff from Ringo, GKDANTAS' Scratch Brushes and MatCreator's shader/brush collections, the 3D Paint is a really fun place to hang out and have fun in!

Other thoughts - Thinking outside the box, we can use 3D Paint (or other methods, for that matter) to create some really interesting shaders by making custom maps for channels other than just color and bump. Highlight and Shininess are fun ones for adding multiple materials to the same domain, say metal on leather, buttons on cloth, veins in skin for just a few examples.

But why stop there? Controlling things like Transparency, Refraction, Reflection, Glow and Translucency are also amazing candidates for custom texture maps! Color works in all of those metioned, and then multiply or multilayer those with a mask... we can churn out renders like anyone else in this industry - especially using the awesome cues from PhilW's thread on Linear Workflow but even more from his Realism Rendering course - if we were fortuitous enough to buy that while it was available!

I didn't mention Alpha because that just feels second nature to me - but the Alpha channel is fun as well.

One more thought - Alpha channel makes the material more or less visible, while Tranparency makes the material more or less see through, with the added ability to use Fresnel, scattering and the like. So it can be really fun using both channels in different ways on the same material to get different effects!

Enough babbling for now Dartan... go back to work, will ya?!!!

Cheers all!

Put an invitation to vote on the Bryce forum.

Hi Bunyip, Just saw this, thank you!!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083
    Headwax said:

What a bummer! Carrara's 3D Paint ROCKS!!!

Sure, it might be a bit finicky for some things, but that's okay. 

After buying all of the Digital Painters stuff from Ringo, GKDANTAS' Scratch Brushes and MatCreator's shader/brush collections, the 3D Paint is a really fun place to hang out and have fun in!

Other thoughts - Thinking outside the box, we can use 3D Paint (or other methods, for that matter) to create some really interesting shaders by making custom maps for channels other than just color and bump. Highlight and Shininess are fun ones for adding multiple materials to the same domain, say metal on leather, buttons on cloth, veins in skin for just a few examples.

But why stop there? Controlling things like Transparency, Refraction, Reflection, Glow and Translucency are also amazing candidates for custom texture maps! Color works in all of those metioned, and then multiply or multilayer those with a mask... we can churn out renders like anyone else in this industry - especially using the awesome cues from PhilW's thread on Linear Workflow but even more from his Realism Rendering course - if we were fortuitous enough to buy that while it was available!

I didn't mention Alpha because that just feels second nature to me - but the Alpha channel is fun as well.

One more thought - Alpha channel makes the material more or less visible, while Tranparency makes the material more or less see through, with the added ability to use Fresnel, scattering and the like. So it can be really fun using both channels in different ways on the same material to get different effects!

Enough babbling for now Dartan... go back to work, will ya?!!!

Cheers all!

Babble on!  Your babbles always have great info.  yesyes

Dart, you have been missed.

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,986
    edited June 2020

+ and      _   

Post edited by ed3D on