Carrara Challenge # 52 - Carrara Cryptids WIP thread--Entries Ended

Comments

• CbirdCbird Posts: 493

Still time for more cryptids to creep into Carrara!! Entry thread closes June 1st (Holy cow! where did June come from??)

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,713
    Diomede said:

Monsters from the Deep!

What would a cryptid thread be without a lighthouse and some monsters from the deep?  Well, we will never know because this cryptid thread has a lighthouse and some monsters from the deep.  A thread at the other forum prompted me to revisit Poser 7 Sydney.  And while in my Rendo content runtime I came across the monster by Scott A.  The lighthouse is from the Carrara native objects browser.  Ocean is a terrain replicated with a seamless grid.  Scene setup and straight render attached.

Grinch is going great guns !

I forgot about this critter, is a good one !!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    Diomede said:

And here is the Grinch rigged with Carrara native skeleton tools, and a couple of poses.

Excellent, love how you use Carrara to the best of her abilities.

Diomede said:

Monsters from the Deep!

What would a cryptid thread be without a lighthouse and some monsters from the deep?  Well, we will never know because this cryptid thread has a lighthouse and some monsters from the deep.  A thread at the other forum prompted me to revisit Poser 7 Sydney.  And while in my Rendo content runtime I came across the monster by Scott A.  The lighthouse is from the Carrara native objects browser.  Ocean is a terrain replicated with a seamless grid.  Scene setup and straight render attached.

straight out of a graphic novel - love this style

Diomede said:

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083

Thanks for the comments, Headwax and Bunyip02.

Revisited the sea demons image, primarily adjusted the brightness and contrast.

sea monsters adjusted adjusted.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 336K
    edited May 2020

Whoville needs at least one Who.

A morph of the Grinch.  A Who wears a suit and a tie, maybe even an ill-fitting vest.

who down in whoville.jpg
    600 x 800 - 18K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,986
    Diomede said:

Whoville needs at least one Who.

A morph of the Grinch.  A Who wears a suit and a tie, maybe even an ill-fitting vest.

_ alright then _ yes

edited May 2020

Thanks for the thumbs up, ed3D.  

And here is a Who female.  Not a true morph, but related.  Took an intermediate stage Grinch mesh, made changes, and attached the Grinch skeleton.  Rigged, but needs the weightmaps adjusted.  See under the armpits.

OK, so I've got a Grinch, his dog, and a Who couple.  Can I assemble a scene by tomorrow night?

Female Who.jpg
    600 x 800 - 24K
    Diomede said:

And here is a Who female.  Not a true morph, but related.  Took an intermediate stage Grinch mesh, made changes, and attached the Grinch skeleton.  Rigged, but needs the weightmaps adjusted.  See under the armpits.

OK, so I've got a Grinch, his dog, and a Who couple.  Can I assemble a scene by tomorrow night?

Yes - they can make the deadline !!!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,804

I wanna model a grinch lol

awesome stuff @diomede are you going to add Carrara fur to the grinch?

who wudda thunk it.... yes

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,986
    Diomede said:

_  and yout quite welcome  _

Diomede, I love all the little glints of light in the Monsters from the Deep--very atmospheric.

I blame you for the Christmas tune now stuck in my head! Can't wait to see the whole whoville scene.

edited May 2020

Thank you, Cbird.  Unfortunately, the only way I know to get a tune out of my head is to insert another more annoying tune.

I declare my Grinch render done.  Could be made a lot better, but it gets the point across.

Grinch render 01.jpg
    2500 x 3333 - 376K
    Diomede said:

Thank you, Cbird.  Unfortunately, the only way I know to get a tune out of my head is to insert another more annoying tune.

I declare my Grinch render done.  Could be made a lot better, but it gets the point across.

Ha! I love the idea of seeing what the Grinch gets up to on other holidays! The bright colours really fit, and the worried look on Max seems just right. I'm impressed by your rigging. The poses are really good.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,225

Good luck to All of You!

Wow! That's gonna be another one of those tough calls again! I think they should just award ALL of you the grand prize!

Excellent work, all of you!

It seems like yesterday when some of you were having a pretty difficult time of some things. Wow, have you come a  l o n g  way!!! Bravo!

Beautiful artwork folks - beautiful art!

Cbird said:

The Mariner's Tale

I went for light and etheric.

Characters are Aiko 3 and Hippocampus, along with the mertail from Mermaid Girl (original The Girl).  The A3 outfit is Techno Tabby (highly modified).  Hair is Elita.

The GMIC filter stack is Basic Color Adjustment, Freaky B&W, and Mighty Details.  Lighting includes Aura (on Hippocampus) and HDRI, but no GI.

No postwork.

Love how dreamy this is. The pose on the hippocampus looks floaty (is that a word?)

Floaty, Yep. It means: Holy cow, that thing just floats doesn't it?!!!

I agree. I saw that in the entries thread and it caught my eyes with a magnet! Bravo!

But it doesn't start or stop there. That thread is freaking Amazing!!! Such cool posts in here too. I'm glad these challenges get saved so I can run through them when I can. This is just awesome!

LOL!!! Tyrannochicken Rex!!! :)

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

Sorry I haven't been keeping up, so much more awesomeness has been posted.

Diomede - Full of great modeling tips, thanks for the step by step for how you modeled the cow. The Cyclops composition is, as Stezza said...epic! Great sense of scale and depth. I love the Grinch model and the final composition. It took a moment to figure out what was happening...very clever. Your tip about eliminating bones instead of entirely relying on weight painting really made sense to me now, finally. This time when I posed my figures I just started selecting the problem points, edges or polys and started outright eliminating errant bones while adjusting the few I needed.

Varsel - Love the Flying Ape - he really does look like he is creeping around and maybe got caught on camera. Nice lighting of the environment.

UnifiedBrain - Great bold colors! Almost looks like it was airbrushed. Cool point of view / perspective as well.

Headwax - Bigfoot getting interviewed - that's hillarious! Awesome!

Stezza - Great modeling as usual! Ha, I just saw the original 'Stargate' for the first time since it was releasd in the theaters, Those pyramid spaceships remind me of the movie. Cool!

Bunyip - Ice man looks great! yes Do you mind if ask how or what you used to create his icy 'fur'? 

edited June 2020

And, despite having extra time for this challenge...I still lagged. Lol.

So, we have until the end of tomorrow, June 1st to make a final entry? My image is finished but I had a problem that is bugging the heck out of me, but can let it slide. I don't want to miss the entry deadline.

Anyway, here is how the image has progressed. I will upload some more images with explanations later. Another marathon Carrara day today and I'm kind of computered out for the moment.

Cheers

final.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 424K
    assembly_final.jpg
    1912 x 1305 - 245K
    Post edited by DesertDude on
    Diomede said:

very clever how you got the scissors to line up with the dog's tail ... cool

love it heart

So, we have until the end of tomorrow, June 1st to make a final entry? My image is finished but I had a problem that is bugging the heck out of me, but can let it slide. I don't want to miss the entry deadline.

Anyway, here is how the image has progressed. I will upload some more images with explanations later. Another marathon Carrara day today and I'm kind of computered out for the moment.

Cheers

that cow!

is udderly awesome yes

as is the whole image smiley

Thank you Stezza!

Bunyip02 said:
    Diomede said:

Yes - they can make the deadline !!!

she's giving me nightmares already :)

Cheers

love t his style, the colours and the modelling all sing

Diomede said:

Excellent, love seeing your creations making it into your renders !!!

LOL!!! Tyrannochicken Rex!!! :)

Get your teeth into those drumsticks !!!!

edited June 2020

Bunyip - Ice man looks great! yes Do you mind if ask how or what you used to create his icy 'fur'? 

Thanks !!!

Is a product for Genesis that comes with it's own "rocks" for the skin, all I did was adjust the shaders - Rock Demon - https://www.daz3d.com/rock-demon

Post edited by Bunyip02 on

Cheers

Superb all around, glad you got it finished !!!

edited June 2020

Here are some screen grabs of the...basis of the vegetation. Purple flower petals painted in Carrara using 3D paint. Same 4 quad leaf recycled endlessly...

Edited to say: the far lower left corner image of the bush is a Surface Replicator using a super low rez wonky object as its base, with the twigs and leaf object replicated....haphazardly. Don't get too close.

plants_002.jpg
    800 x 800 - 100K

Thank you Headwax and Bunyip for the nice comments.

Thank you Bunyip for the explanation of ice man's 'fur'. Rock Demon? Awesome

edited June 2020

I have very little experience with skin shaders. I tried something for the girl's skin based on this video using some low level reddish color in the Glow channel:

Her head has it's own texture map for both the painted features and some extra luminance using this texture map in the Glow Channel (cropped here):

head_glow_web.jpg
    643 x 547 - 24K