Does anyone use Carrara for Modeling?

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    The scene I posted was done for the upcoming training set "Realism in Carrara" so I talk you through various aspects of the scene such as the interior lighting technique, materials, even how to make that bookcase (I think you'll be surprised!). Another week or two and I will have completed the actual recording. Infinite Skills then do a lot of editing to make me look professional!
    Thanks Phil! I can't wait! ;)
    Now get to thinking about your next one! Keep 'em coming!
  • MysticWingsMysticWings Posts: 226
    edited December 1969

My brain had already rested for 4 days!! ;) It's ready to go back to work!!! So thank you!! It seems very interesting!! :) Will read it and try it ;)

"Realism in Carrara"!!! Sounds very interesting!!! Oh god, I'm becoming addicted to tutorials!!! :D

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

My brain had already rested for 4 days!! ;) It's ready to go back to work!!! So thank you!! It seems very interesting!! :) Will read it and try it ;)

"Realism in Carrara"!!! Sounds very interesting!!! Oh god, I'm becoming addicted to tutorials!!! :D

That's what I like to hear! (LOL!) ;-)

edited December 1969

Yeah Phil, this Tania creature sure has some passion - and is a real go-getter! Soon she'll be the one teaching all of us, I'm sure ;)

edited December 1969

Ahahahahah!! Thank you dartan!!

I'm really loving 3d!!! And it is like a mix of all I love and learned before - sculpture, geometry, drawing...
    And to see all these potential to create my enchanted world.... it's just motivating!! :)
    To be honest, I was always addicted to learning. Is just that now found something that really got me passionated - 3d!!! :)

edited December 1969

Yeah... well said... me too.
    I am totally into 3d now and nothing... nothing can drag me away. Well, my Rosie could, but she doesn't! ;)

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

Ah, by the way, just bought learning carrara 8.5 from infinite skills!! :) it was on sale and I could not let it go... ;) now I will really start to learn how to take advantage of this amazing software!!!

Missed out on that :( and being on very low income, $100 is beyond my means. Still I'm sure another sale will come around sometime...

edited December 1969

Tim_A said:

Ah, by the way, just bought learning carrara 8.5 from infinite skills!! :) it was on sale and I could not let it go... ;) now I will really start to learn how to take advantage of this amazing software!!!

Missed out on that :( and being on very low income, $100 is beyond my means. Still I'm sure another sale will come around sometime...

There will probably be a catch-up sale at the end of the month.

edited December 1969

Thanks Phil, you're a sweetie ;-)

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    edited December 1969

otodomus said:
    Hi, the version I have is the 5 Pro, I have also installed the 8.5 but I am more accustomed to use the 5 pro, I will try using that, any ideas on bump settings? I always wondered if a UV mapping can be bumped? Like a dotted pattern or the same metal textured....

I'm not quite sure what you mean about the UV map being bumped. You can make bump maps using the UV as a template. I don't have a lot of experience creating UV maps.

The bump channel of the shader is a grayscale image, either an image map, or generated using procedural functions such as noise or wires etc. The bright part of the image in the bump channel appears to be a higher bump and the dark part appears to be lower or even indented part. The bump channel does not alter the geometry of the mesh, which is why I asked how close the camera will get. If it's very close, then you will be better using displacement (which does alter the geometry) or your own geometry.

You can get some nice effects using the bump channel in conjunction with other shader channels such as highlight and shininess.

The following image uses lines in the bump channel and the highlight/shininess channels to make it appear there is ribbing under the skin of the Zeppelins. They're not my models, but I re-textured them.

very convincing lighting and texturing EP, I would add some stormy clouds to emphasize the drama :-)

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    edited March 2014

PhilW said:
    Kixum - great work!

This is a scene that I modelled, textured and lit in Carrara, I already posted it over at Renderosity so thought that I would share it here too.

Nicely done PhilW :wow:
    as for the shadow issue on the ceiling maybe this video in japanese might help http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfB4dsQWRD8
    - 1:15 min onward -

Post edited by magaremoto on
    edited March 2014

Tim_A said:

It was really lucky!! I just wanted that training and was waiting for my birthday to see how much money I would get.
    So got the money, 1st bought a wacom pro, saw how much it was left and run into daz 3d to buy the training, while I was still thinking if I really should spend that money on it... and ta daaa.... it was on sale. It actually happened the same with Carrara... hmmm... I'm actually a very lucky girl :)

Post edited by MysticWings on
  • MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited December 1969

-_Milo_- said:
    Beautiful work, both of you.
    Phil, the lighting you've done is nothing shy of breathtaking. All linear workflow I'm assuming?
    Are you using GI with IL or did you try an alternate method? I really like the effects you have going on here, and it works really wel with my studies from the Birn book, which has me dying to try incorporating the Occlusion Sandwich method as a test to see if it's possibly a way to go for me. IL has become totally out of the question, as it just adds too much time to each single frame. The sandwich method is looking like a fantastic solution.

Anyways, Both of you - excellent work!

Dartanbeck, I have the book I think its release 2 (I need to check) are you going through release 3 or 2? I haven't read much of the book yet so not familiar with the Occlusion Sandwich.. YET!

He and I are reading version 3. I'm standing over his shoulder with my telescopic reading glasses as I'm just outside of Curtiss and he's in the heart of Algoma. But hey, the sun is bright right now so it's not so bad. ;-)

I am saving my nickles for it, are you by chance reading the kindle version or the physical hard copy?

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Physical copy. It was a gift. I still have to DL the working files and stuff.

edited December 1969

I've looked at the blurb for it, and it's definitely going onto my wishlist for the paper edition. (while Kindles are great for fiction, when it comes to reference works, it feels like I'm trying to read through a keyhole!)

edited December 1969

I went for the paper copy, although even with this, there are two chapters that are online plus other downloadable resources.

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    I went for the paper copy, although even with this, there are two chapters that are online plus other downloadable resources.

Agreed! Physical copies are the best. But I am a bibliophile.

I just got started reading it yesterday. It will be slow going since I have so much stuff in my reading queue. I'm also reading George R. R. Martin's A Song Of Ice And Fire (i.e. Game Of Thrones) as well as my usual philosophy and religious history stuff.

Birn's book is a nice difference from the rest of my fair. I recently went on an insane Amazon splurge and bought a lot of digital art books.

• KixumKixum Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm always amazed how these threads drift concerning their topic.

Regardless, I'm going to continue to post to this thread when I've done some sort of Carrara modeling thing.

Here's my latest project where some modeling work was done.

The Falcon and the X-Wing are old models I made a long time ago.

However, the Death Star 2 core is all new. Took about 20 hours.

The geometry and ratios for this model represent the actual scene from the movie reasonably well.

The texture for the roof was a major pain to recreate.

In fact, the textures for most of this model were a significant pain. Almost all of it is procedural (basically everything except the roof). The roof was made by first rendering 4000 beeny little pipes replicated in a radial pattern. The pipes were black or white. It was rendered 5000X5000 and that image was then mixed with noise procedurally with some bump to get what we see here.

Several plug-ins were required for the procedurals.

I'm reasonably happy with it.

Enjoy!

-Kix

DeathStarCore0502.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 433K
    edited December 1969

Delicious! Love the workflow write-up too! Also, really glad to see Kixum within our pages, once more! Welcome home, my friend!

Yes... I am very good at accidentally causing topic drift. I'm really refreshed to know that I'm not the only one with that talent :)

Great image! Great models! Great matter of Subject!!!! ;)

edited December 1969

Kixum said:

Regardless, I'm going to continue to post to this thread when I've done some sort of Carrara modeling thing.

The geometry and ratios for this model represent the actual scene from the movie reasonably well.

In fact, the textures for most of this model were a significant pain. Almost all of it is procedural (basically everything except the roof). The roof was made by first rendering 4000 beeny little pipes replicated in a radial pattern. The pipes were black or white. It was rendered 5000X5000 and that image was then mixed with noise procedurally with some bump to get what we see here.

Enjoy!

-Kix

Very nice work.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Kixum said:

Enjoy!

-Kix

cool work

edited December 1969

@Kixum: *Like* :)

• KixumKixum Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

And again, my latest modeling project.

clouds_02_dialed.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 298K
    edited December 1969

Great model and texturing!

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Outstanding Kixum! (as always)

edited December 1969

Super-cool as always, Kixum!

edited September 2014

Not as impressive as Kakman's absolutely cool stuff, but this is one of my more complex vertex models that I'm working on.

I'll let you guys be a Pal, and figure out what movie it is modeled after. ;-)

Full disclosure, I found it easier to start in the spline modeler to get a basic disk that I converted to the VM and then cleaned up the triangles. When I converted I had the fidelity set to 75%, which gave me the shape I wanted when smoothed and still had few enough polys that cleaning up the tris was fairly quick.

Edited to correct a spelling goof.

War_machine.png
    1200 x 900 - 198K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,524
    edited December 1969

Not as impressive as Kakman's absolutely cool stuff, but this is one of my more complex vertex models that I'm working on.

Full disclosure, I found it easier to start in the spine room to get a basic disk that I converted to the VM and then cleaned up the triangles. When I converted I had the fidelity set to 75%, which gave me the shape I wanted when smoothed and still had few enough polys that cleaning up the tris was fairly quick.

If it had it's tentacle like mast from the top mid-section it would be a very nice match for the 1953 version of a H.G. Wells Sci-Fi classic.
    (I prefer the tripods to the levitating ray-gun ships)
    The critter from the movie would look nice if modeled as well.

EP do you just use the Carrara modelling tools or the available Plugins ?

edited September 2014

Bunyip02 said:

Full disclosure, I found it easier to start in the spine room to get a basic disk that I converted to the VM and then cleaned up the triangles. When I converted I had the fidelity set to 75%, which gave me the shape I wanted when smoothed and still had few enough polys that cleaning up the tris was fairly quick.

If it had it's tentacle like mast from the top mid-section it would be a very nice match for the 1953 version of a H.G. Wells Sci-Fi classic.

Thanks! It is indeed from the 1953 George Pal adaptation of War of the Worlds. A bit cheesy, now especially the acting, but a classic nonetheless. I prefer the Tripods from Spielbergs' version, but I like the heat rays in the old one. I also like that they actually came in from space as opposed to riding lightning bolts down to the already buried ships- A major plot hole in my opinion.

I rarely use any plugins, and what I little I use are either free from Fenric or Sparrowhawke. I never use any for shaders or modeling. Not that I have anything against plugins, but my budget is such that I can't afford the ones I want.

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,524
    edited December 1969

Bunyip02 said:

Thanks! It is indeed from the 1953 George Pal adaptation of War of the Worlds. A bit cheesy, now especially the acting, but a classic nonetheless. I prefer the Tripods from Spielbergs' version, but I like the heat rays in the old one. I also like that they actually came in from space as opposed to riding lightning bolts down to the already buried ships- A major plot hole in my opinion.

I rarely use any plugins, and what I little I use are either free from Fenric or Sparrowhawke. I never use any for shaders or modeling. Not that I have anything against plugins, but my budget is such that I can't afford the ones I want.

OFF TOPIC (But relevant to cheesy movies involving Martians)

Have you seen this freebie over at the Free Section at Rendo ?

promo4.jpg
    960 x 1200 - 244K