The "Animators Assemble!" thread for Daz animation WIPs, clips, and tips

Comments

• tikiman-3dtikiman-3d Posts: 34
    wolf359 said:
    Link is refused by Chrome

'"Too many Facebook redirects"

Ahh.. I thought I could do a link to Facebook. I've reposted with a youtube link.

• AuroratrekAuroratrek Posts: 201
    Hi Tim! Thank you for the kind words!

I did all the lip syncing in DAZ 32 bit version because (to me) mimic in it has better features. IE: the ability to import a .wav file and text file. I turn off everthing else like head movement and expressions. Saved as a pose/animation then went back to 64bit. I didn't too much tweaking. Only closing the mouth after they speak. 
    Star Trek Aurora was actually my inspiration for doing mine as animation. It was around the same time as Axanar gate when I was originally going to do my script as live action. But, then, well yeah you know what happened. So I turned to doing as animation on my own schedule.

Yes, Mimic is a good, simple app. I have pretty much the same workflow, tho I actually gave up on adding text, it seemed to do more harm than good for me. Your work (and Wolf's)  has inspired me back--your atmospherics and effects are really nice--I think I need to step up my game with After Effects.

This is a test I did on the speed of Octane v. Iray. I wanted to try an experiment only for my own curiosity as related to my system.

I hope this is of interest.

Here's a scene I did a few days ago. 800 Frames.
    Using DAZ:

Looks great! Significant difference in time, tho still a while for either method. You hear about GPU rendering in near realtime, but I guess that requires some serious hardware.

• tikiman-3dtikiman-3d Posts: 34
    edited May 2020
    Looks great! Significant difference in time, tho still a while for either method. You hear about GPU rendering in near realtime, but I guess that requires some serious hardware.

Yes, like this. https://www.xesktop.com/?fbclid=IwAR0zq5hKXYSu0CGeKRtKrCIc1n4eaRWHrkG7TJUeL9Jmyyr3Kw-x_HUxNvk

I've been rendering some of the octane scenes using a virtual machine at $12 p/h. It usually burns thought them in about 10 minutes.

95369692_706809523421234_4017143234764472320_n.jpg
    809 x 855 - 70K
    Post edited by tikiman-3d on
  • wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,762
    edited May 2020
    Nice renders but IMHO the render times are completely unnacceptable for the length and quality.

Brute force path tracing ,without the aid of render farms, is just not a practical approach for me.

And you know ,it is not even the actual render times as I own Three computers and can work& play on the other two while rendering constantly on the third.

It is the time lost in lookdev& light setups without a near realtime viewport giving you at least a 95 percent representation of what the final render will look like with reflections and SSS

"Galactus Rising" had frame budget of 7-10 minutes per frame on my Old Mac computer with C4D's old AR3 ray tracer

So why did it take 6 years to render a 93 minute film??

Having to Do endless full on test renders to check lighting material set up while scene building.

One of the many reasons I moved All of my Character animation from Daz studio over to Iclone is the Iclone realtime Viewport for lipsynch face puppet editing.

After using Blenders EEVEE I could never go back to a pipeline without a realtime(or near ) viewport display.
    Post edited by wolf359 on
    Another Iclone to EEVEE render.
  • @Wolf359  

I agree totally with you there, even with a rtx 2070 super, on a beefy machine (dual xeon processors, etc), Iray is a slog, and having to render a frame, change lighting and other settings, re-render, rinse, repeat, is what takes a lot of time, as you can't see what changes look like in realtime.  This is the reason I try to use Marmoset Toolbag whenever possible, because even on small cards like a 970 or 1060, you get feedback on how everything looks in realtime, so it is not so much a matter of system specs, but of the rendering engine itself.

The original realistic looking Rutger clip I rendered in Marmoset, which took an hour, with the ability to change everything on the fly and see how it looked at high quality on the rtx 2070 box.  This "toon" Rutger (done with 3d Universe's new TG4 character) https://www.dropbox.com/s/utnd32zoqm5koxq/rutgertoon.mp4?dl=0 Just the head, with 3 simple lights, took around 5 hrs on the same machine, plus the several hours of tweaking

• CoXComicsCoXComics Posts: 65

More practice with DAZ Studio and HitFilm

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,210

Here's a short presentation on my main protagonist, Rosie, who is now Rosie 5 - a Genesis 1 figure

• KA1KA1 Posts: 1,012

Just wow!! So many animators gathered and with impressive work! I've lurked for a while but as I am now working on a new animation project thought I'd start to take part and soak up all the tips and advice we have around here! 

My initial animation attempts were... problematic and I had honestly given up, I everntually stumbled across Ivy's work and that inspired me to dig back into animation. The motivation didn't stop there as I came across examples by wolf359 and others (possibly all now part of this discussion) so a big thank you to you all!

I still have a lot to learn but have some early WIP/Clips/Tests I would like to share, any advice feedback or tips greatly appreciated. First up a section (just under 1min 30secs) of a project I did a while ago and "may" go back to at some point (it has a whole storyboard and a bunch of other scenes from various points already rendered!)

Something  to note though (so you are prepared for the awfulness!) I used some text to speech programs to placeholder some of the voices (well all except one!) - which sounds fine for the voive of the computer but.. yeah you can imagine how bad it sounds on the rest!! Or even see for yourself if you dare!!

@KAI welcome back Glad to see you producing again

@Dartenbeck Although we use completely different pipelines We have one major thing in common.

We both have realized that between Millennuim4,Genesis1-2 that it is possible to build one Super versatile figure from the best of three generations and create the exact Digital actors we need for our animated filmmaking...Well done man!!!

I have done exactly as you have done by moving My custom an commercial morphs back into" Genesis 5"(aka G-1).

Except in My case I send the completed characters to Iclone Pro to be converted to a Realtime Iclone Avatars for Facial and Body motion before export to Blender for rendering with EEVEE.

I also Develop my own clothing for "Genesis 5"(aka G-1) SO I can Support them indefinately with ZERO dependance on Daz store content.
    COMBO-IMAGE.jpg
    1000 x 1736 - 668K
    wolf359 said:

@Dartenbeck Although we use completely different pipelines We have one major thing in common.

We both have realized that between Millennuim4,Genesis1-2 that it is possible to build one Super versatile figure from the best of three generations and create the exact Digital actors we need for our animated filmmaking...Well done man!!!

I have done exactly as you have done by moving My custom an commercial morphs back into" Genesis 5"(aka G-1).

Except in My case I send the completed characters to Iclone Pro to be converted to a Realtime Iclone Avatars for Facial and Body motion before export to Blender for rendering with EEVEE.

I also Develop my own clothing for "Genesis 5"(aka G-1) SO I can Support them indefinately with ZERO dependance on Daz store content.

That is So Cool!!!

I love your workflow and would love to try that some day. I've looked at iClone for quite a long time and really enjoy their tutorials and showcases, etc., but just cannot currently afford the whole Pipeline I'd need from them.

Still, all that aside, I'm very happy with my workflow. I really love how I can perform just about everything directly within Carrara with the ocassional visit to Daz Studio to use as a plugin to convert stuff. It always blows my mind at how far the Daz3d development team have taken Daz Studio. It's an amazing thing now.

One big fight for me has always been finding ways to get time on my computer. Being a landscape custom stone worker (Flagstone patios, field stone walls, cliff extensions, waterfalls, ponds, etc., etc.,) I always had to work long hours using all of my might for most of it.

Finding Carrara was amazing. It's like Poser on steroids with a whole slew of modelers and other amazing features. Coming from Poser, I was amazed at how fast the library browser loads and behaves in Carrara, and render settings - especially if you need a quick test render are so easy to work with. For someone who has very limited time, I was so relieved to find such a one-stop-shop for CG!

KA1 said:

Just wow!! So many animators gathered and with impressive work! I've lurked for a while but as I am now working on a new animation project thought I'd start to take part and soak up all the tips and advice we have around here! 

My initial animation attempts were... problematic and I had honestly given up, I everntually stumbled across Ivy's work and that inspired me to dig back into animation. The motivation didn't stop there as I came across examples by wolf359 and others (possibly all now part of this discussion) so a big thank you to you all!

I still have a lot to learn but have some early WIP/Clips/Tests I would like to share, any advice feedback or tips greatly appreciated. First up a section (just under 1min 30secs) of a project I did a while ago and "may" go back to at some point (it has a whole storyboard and a bunch of other scenes from various points already rendered!)

Something  to note though (so you are prepared for the awfulness!) I used some text to speech programs to placeholder some of the voices (well all except one!) - which sounds fine for the voive of the computer but.. yeah you can imagine how bad it sounds on the rest!! Or even see for yourself if you dare!!

Video Link

Very cool! You've got some really cool things going on in there. I love the suit Power-Up! The run/jump slowing in the middle/end was really cool, I thought! Looks like a really cool concept too!

Cool thread! I must explore more!

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693
    wolf359 said:

Add me to the Genesis1 (and not-so-much DS) club. Gn1's capability exceeds anything I'll ever be able to throw at that figure, and it's a great 'middle ground' with compatibility with DS, Mil4, Gn2M+F, Poser, Carrara, and more-so now than ever, Blender/Unreal. We are *still* getting DS support from some of our favorite vendors as well (shout-out to Zev0!).

I like the success Dart is having with the 'replacement parts' approach, and with VWD and MD, any mesh out there can become a clothing wrapper for this figure (conforming and auto-fit not-so-critical anymore). I also see wolf359's integration of Iclone for animation refinement in his workflow as a potential big win, based on their general and continued support and development investment in serious animation capabilities.

Of course, G8M/F is stunning and not-to-be scoffed at at all, Gn1 is still a great base-figure for general use and especially animation, and has a wealth of skin/hair/morph-options available to work with, especially if you look at the Mil4 legacy, and the GenX2 future-proofing that we have - fully 4 generations of figure resources to draw from, and all useable on multiple platforms.

There's some great stuff in this thread!

cheers,

--ms

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153

New animation . I did everything but the film editing completely within daz studio 4.12.0.85 with 2 -1080ti's

Best viewed in 1080hd  Click to play 3 minute animation

• @KA1, welcome aboard and nice work!  I'm assuming you are using motion capture clips? or aniblocks?

Playing with a new toy, hand mocap gloves.. First a test of realtime animation from motionbuilder into UE4 using livelink, Motionbuilder is animating as I move the fingers and transmitting to UE https://vimeo.com/423350614

and this, brought into Daz Studio for a quick opengl render https://www.dropbox.com/s/h94wavrod134fws/fingertest.mp4?dl=0

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800

sometimes I wish DAZ had third person player mode aniblocks

iClone 5 and below had director mode which did that

ie the character walks using the WASD keys and jumps with spacebar and any other idles you assign to other keys, of course UE4 does it using the mannequin retargetted but Blueprints too complicated for me to add my own choices.

Sadly Reallusion dropped that feature too, I often used it to explore sets like a game. 

@KA1, welcome aboard and nice work!  I'm assuming you are using motion capture clips? or aniblocks?

You assume correct! There was extensive use of aniblocks/bvh motions for that one. There's a couple of key framed sections, though as you pointed out in a previous post, when learning it's difficult to avoid the under water/ dream effect animation, the hand keyed parts I had to double the speed of during editing! It's using aniblocks that stalled that project tbh, I found I was trying to make scenes fit to the blocks/bvh I had available rather than following the storyboard, essentially trying to cut corners. My new project I'm doing I'm key framing myself, it's a long process but I'm able to actually create the scenes as I envision them - top tip for other key framers though, however many frames you "think" an action might need, half it (and that's at least half it!!)
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

Not something I do much of is Animation, this is the latest effort. Done in Iray and edited in Vegas Pro 16.

(Best viewed in HD)

Excellent cinematic camera work!!

Very realistic!.
    wolf359 said:
    Excellent cinematic camera work!!

Very realistic!.

Thank you. A lot of it is hit and miss as I keep moving the camera which ends up translating to the render and I have to start over again smiley The editing leaves a lot on the 'cutting room floor' smiley

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Hello, world.

Introducing myself here.  Just dipping my toe in the thread.  So much awesome stuff.  I especially like reading about all the different workflows that you folks have.  

I have been dabbling with stills, primarily in Carrara and more recently in Studio.  My original intent was scifi comics.  Recently, my interest has been drifitng toward animations.  Visually, I'm not interested in photorealism.  I prefer stylized figures.  Over time, I've been attracted towards a claymation appearance.  Think of the holiday specials by Hannah and Barbera.  Whether the end result will be the figures I have been modeling myself or custom morphs of Daz3D figures remains to be seen.  Either way, the transfer utility in Daz Studio is a great resource as a plugin.

I am truly at the very first step.  So much so, that my first attempts to get feedback for the Fluidos plugin got my youtube account flagged for a warning (just a landscape, fountain, and water -argh! makes no sense).  So I don't even have a stable place for my test videos yet.

But to qualify for the thread, the following was my first attempt at an animation.  Everything modeled and rendered in Carrara.  It is a car chase, not one of my claymation figures.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,317
    Ivy said:

New animation . I did everything but the film editing completely within daz studio 4.12.0.85 with 2 -1080ti's

Great flythrough!  I like the way you edited the shots together, gave a real sense of travelling.  Vast landscapes were scenic.  The jolt on the landing inside the cockpit felt right too. Well done.

Ivy said:

Great flythrough!  I like the way you edited the shots together, gave a real sense of travelling.  Vast landscapes were scenic.  The jolt on the landing inside the cockpit felt right too. Well done.

Thank you very much for watching and the very nice commment.  I appreciate it a lot .

Fishtales said:

Not something I do much of is Animation, this is the latest effort. Done in Iray and edited in Vegas Pro 16.

(Best viewed in HD)

nice start to something big fishtales

Diomede said:

Hello, world.

Introducing myself here.  Just dipping my toe in the thread.  So much awesome stuff.  I especially like reading about all the different workflows that you folks have.  

I have been dabbling with stills, primarily in Carrara and more recently in Studio.  My original intent was scifi comics.  Recently, my interest has been drifitng toward animations.  Visually, I'm not interested in photorealism.  I prefer stylized figures.  Over time, I've been attracted towards a claymation appearance.  Think of the holiday specials by Hannah and Barbera.  Whether the end result will be the figures I have been modeling myself or custom morphs of Daz3D figures remains to be seen.  Either way, the transfer utility in Daz Studio is a great resource as a plugin.

I am truly at the very first step.  So much so, that my first attempts to get feedback for the Fluidos plugin got my youtube account flagged for a warning (just a landscape, fountain, and water -argh! makes no sense).  So I don't even have a stable place for my test videos yet.

But to qualify for the thread, the following was my first attempt at an animation.  Everything modeled and rendered in Carrara.  It is a car chase, not one of my claymation figures.

good job Diomede yes

Ivy said:
    Fishtales said:

(Best viewed in HD)

nice start to something big fishtales

Working on the next bit ATM wink

Fishtales said:

(Best viewed in HD)

I'd been listening to nostalgic theme songs from the 60s/70s in another tab and didn't realise autoplay was on, you animation started at the same time YouTube chose "The littlest hobo" theme to play in the background!! I seriously thought it was the sound on your animation!! Awesome work!
    KA1 said:
    Fishtales said:

(Best viewed in HD)

I'd been listening to nostalgic theme songs from the 60s/70s in another tab and didn't realise autoplay was on, you animation started at the same time YouTube chose "The littlest hobo" theme to play in the background!! I seriously thought it was the sound on your animation!! Awesome work!

Thank you, but how creepy is that? laugh

I have done a bit more to Warg and this is iteration two. The render of the Lycan didn't want to play well with the Warg render and, because it is separate from the grass in the Warg render when put together in Vegas he looks as if he is running on top of it laugh Back to the grind.

Warg 2