Carrara Challenge # 52 - Carrara Cryptids WIP thread--Entries Ended

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083
    edited May 2020

A few more details added.  Still very low res.  Hopefully, getting ever more Grinch-like.

grinch update.jpg
    825 x 890 - 137K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,713
    Diomede said:

A few more details added.  Still very low res.  Hopefully, getting ever more Grinch-like.

Grinch is looking good !!!!!

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,986
    Bunyip02 said:

Grinch is looking good !!!!!

_ yeah, it is _

edited May 2020

Thank you for the comments on the Grinch, Bunyip and ed3D.  

And a Grinch needs a pet.

- insert reference image in global tab of vertex modeler

- inserted an oval (not a sphere), then emptied polygon, then aligned with a cross section of the torso

- duplicated the empty ovals, resized, and aligned with cross sections of the major portions of Max the dog.

- Used ruled surfaces for different meshes to be joined later, head, torso, legs

- note that only have two legs, will need to duplicate with symmetry and then attach

- make eye sockets, eyebrows, and insert spheres for the eyes.

Now the basic rough shape of the Grinch's dog.  Pretty rough.  Or is that ruff?  I will refine later.

cc02 max place ovals around major body portions.jpg
    901 x 596 - 101K
    cc03 max head.jpg
    712 x 646 - 99K
    cc08 move legs to side and control click to center working box and set plane for symmetry duplicate.jpg
    1329 x 952 - 142K
    cc10 body just needs eyes.jpg
    799 x 736 - 82K
    cc11 with eyes.jpg
    794 x 652 - 75K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,804

awesome work @diomede

can I ask why you insert an oval then empty the polygon?

why not just insert a circle from the polyline menu?

curious minds yes

Stezza said:

awesome work @diomede

can I ask why you insert an oval then empty the polygon?

why not just insert a circle from the polyline menu?

curious minds yes

Because I take extra wasteful steps, thats why!  blush

I'm just used to inserting from the CONSTRUCT : INSERT3D list and didn't think to look in the 2d list.  I will use empty circles in the future.  

wink

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

wow 51 comments since I logged in. Gah that's great don't know where to start on commenting on the works. Well I love the different approaches. So many different styles - a joy to see. 

would have been here earlier today but a hug storm ripped off one of my windows (happens occasionally as the rtivets oxidise) so I get out my trusty rivet gun and it wont work - I spend an hour scrweing around then decide I'mm off to the hardware shop - then I google how to dissamble one - yes you guessed it - the lat time I used it 8 years ago I left the shank of a rivett jammed in it's guts...

anyuwayu what's that got to do with this thread - nothing . Stezza that doesnt look like the seekers!

this does 

edited May 2020

I forgot to post my image - I decided to do Bigfoot being interviewed on the Mike Mcnaughton show. Bigfoot is the freak with some adjustments three different lots of hair but I toned them down - the final composited image has curtains from StudioParis (Age of Armour) which I was very happy to be part of it's testing team. The buildings are from PhilW's excellent Night City scene.

https://www.daz3d.com/studio-paris

https://www.daz3d.com/night-and-day-city - I see this ridiculously cheap at 5.99 

little bit of poke through on one hand dont tell anyone

used a shadow catcher on the floor

interviewer.jpg
    2000 x 1641 - 834K
    interviewer_Colcroppedr.jpg
    2000 x 1695 - 2M
    Post edited by Headwax on
    Diomede said:

yeah sadly VWD is hosed for me too, in DS and Poser too, some say the update works but don't know if Carrara one, cannot afford anyway so using that plugin DAZ studio to create Dforce morphs for stuffs

RE: VWD - I did a couple of quick drape tests with simple sample objects.  It ran fine. 

I guess there is something about my scene, or my objects.  Will shift the reporting of any further tests to the VWD thread or my No One Asked Me thread.

hmm bummer about the VWD I'll check mine

Diomede said:

NOTE - I'm not entering the book cover.  I'm entering the GMIC result without the text.

terrific result Ted, great angle too as it makes him look BIG

Behold, A Morning Star

Not all cryptids are grim. :)  I was going to call it "the joy of being cryptid."

This is the original version of Star, gliding over Castle Royal.  I've never used either product before.

Rendered the background separately, then loaded it a on a plane, and added the character in the foreground..

Used a couple of GMIC filters (Basic Color, Dream Smoothing), and Carrara processes (aura, text, lens flare, terrain, and hair).

Lots of indirect light, no postwork..

wow lots of light, brilliant effect - great idea to render the background separately

Varsel said:

The Flying Monkeys - or Apes as they prefers to be called.

They can be found everywhere in the country, but normally in a distance from cities or villages, and are quite shy creatures. They are normally peacefully creatures, unless they feel cornered or are being provoked.

Despite their animalistic look, they are quite intelligent, and does sometimes seek work as henchmen for the various witches in the land.

Love the backstory as much as the imagery - composition looks like a grab shot with a camera - nicely played

Cbird said:

Another go at the Weheela. I've added some more rocks and plants to refect the moonlight and tone down the crazy white line. I think this is a bit better. Thank you all for the feedback.

terrific lighting effects - really does look like moonlighht - especially the rim light

Stezza said:

As you travel the roads in Australia you will come across 'road kill'

a sad way to go for our native animals... but did you know that the fox is an introduced species, a wirey smarty type of animal to clever to be knocked over by some random truck or car on a road!

It's easy prey however for the notorius drop bear

if you see a fox carcass on the side of the road don't think it was taken out by a car or truck... no... it was taken out by the DROP BEAR and its remains are left on the side of the road to give you the wrong impression... be carefull .... they sneak!

the Drop Bear

Ha ha Stezza, all it needs is an English Tourist to be dropped upon... but they are few and far between at the moment... :(

edited May 2020

Thanks for the comment, Headwax.  Your interview show image is delightful.  Poses are so natural.

Here is an update to the lake monster project.  I place a bulb inside the sub and used some transparency, translucency and subsurface scattering on the windows. I changed the external window spotlights back to very low bulb lights and deleted the light cone effects.  

Lake Monster Entry for Cryptid Challenge.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 241K
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited May 2020
    Headwax said:

Ha, a cryptid interview with a well-dressed host!  It looks like it really happened, nice render HW.  Is there a Mike McNaughton show?

Thanks for the comment on the Star render.

Diomede said:

Diomede, in watching your render develop, I typically notice areas that I would like to see changed.  For sure, I have a bias, and I fully understand that not everyone shares it.  But in this one, everything I was thinking, you did, and then some.  Terrific balance of various elements.  I especially like what you did with the sub.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • CbirdCbird Posts: 493

@Diomede, does the Grinch count as a cryptid? Oddly many doubt his existence despite so many of us having worked for one at one point or another. That must make him a cryptid! He is taking convincing shape very quickly. I think the lighting is spookier with each addition in the sea beastie scene.

@Headwax and DesertDude, thank you for the comments on light and atmosphere. Lighting still feels like a wet octopus I can only pick up some of the time.

@Headwax, I would watch that interview in an instant! There is something about the poses that suggest they are managing to be slightly boring or stodgy, and no one is mention that bigfoot is bigfoot because that would be rude.

edited May 2020

Fact or Fiction

modeled the nazca alien and the minion used M3 and the M3 spacesuit rendered using toonPro!

factorfiction WiP.JPG
    1505 x 766 - 218K
    Fact or Fiction ToonLines.png
    800 x 600 - 953K
    Post edited by Stezza on

Diomede - love the new pooch !!!

Headwax - classic !!!

Stezza - alien & minion are way cool !!!

edited May 2020

IceMan

Post worked, used Topaz Adjust to bring out the colours, then Filter Forge for a NPR look

Raw render, background sky to be added in PaintShopPro

Carrara setup

IceMan 1b Topaz FiltForge.png
    1600 x 1348 - 6M
    IceMan 1.png
    1600 x 1348 - 3M
    IceMan Carrara setup 1.png
    2260 x 1039 - 673K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on

thanks Ted UB et Cbird and Bunyip 02 - 

:) Image is a bit silly but that's okay :)

Stezza, wonderful use of Carrara once more. Always suprizes me what you come up with - if you dont mind me ending a sentence with a preposition!

Bunyip that's a terrfic image - quite a portrait - there is some suggestion of 'maleness' there - had to look twic e - post work very effectivce too

edited May 2020

now you got me wondering if in fact there is a preposition in there.. just reminded myself today that it's been 50 years since I was in 6th class probably the last time I did a preposition was in class!

They Came from Up There

modeled the sand, spaceships ( PyramidShips ), tentacles & column structure.

used the glow channel for an aura effect and a cloud for some dust. Used M2 and SBRM Ibis.

fromupthereWiP.jpg
    1522 x 802 - 220K
    From Up There.png
    800 x 600 - 767K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    Stezza said:

now you got me wondering if in fact there is a preposition in there.. just reminded myself today that it's been 50 years since I was in 6th class probably the last time I did a preposition was in class!

They Came from Up There

modeled the sand, spaceships ( PyramidShips ), tentacles & column structure.

used the glow channel for an aura effect and a cloud for some dust. Used M2 and SBRM Ibis.

wow that's wonderful use of Carrara's innate properties.!

(Yes 'with' is a proposition - was referring to Winston Churchill :) who supposedlyt said:

When criticized for occasionally ending a sentence on a preposition, Winston Churchill replied, "This is the type of errant pedantry up with which I will not put." Churchill's reply satirizes the strict adherence to this rule. 

edited May 2020

Thanks for the comments, UB, Bunyip, CBird, Headwax, and Stezza.

@Stezza - Fact or fiction very creative effect.  Great modeling.- They came from up there.  More great modeling.  

@Bunyip02 - The iceman cometh!  How did you do it?  Is it hair?  Replicators?  Straight mesh?

Been kind of quiet, so I thought I'd give an update on rigging and weightmapping the dog.

I find a very helpful function is the "remove bone" and "add bone" tools in the animation tab of the vertex modeler.  When first rigged, sometimes part of the mesh is partially attached to the wrong bone.  In this case, some of the mesh of the snout was attached to the lower jaw/mouth.  Completely removing the mouth bone from the polygons of the snout is faster than using the weightmap brush.

zz01 dog pose.jpg
    800 x 500 - 30K
    zz02b weightmapping remove bones.jpg
    1685 x 1000 - 407K
    zz03 skeleton.jpg
    964 x 597 - 174K
    Diomede said:

@Bunyip02 - The iceman cometh!  How did you do it?  Is it hair?  Replicators?  Straight mesh?

IceMan is the Rock Demon - https://www.daz3d.com/rock-demon

Ruff Dog is making great progress !!!

Stezza - those tentacles really make that critter !!!

Bunyip02 said:
    Diomede said:

IceMan is the Rock Demon - https://www.daz3d.com/rock-demon

Ruff Dog is making great progress !!!

Stezza - those tentacles really make that critter !!!

yesyes

the tentacles was a last minute idea... watched a show on how the squid can morph and other creepy stuff which got me thinking about when I was a younger person! anyways...

thanks winkyes

edited May 2020

And here is the Grinch rigged with Carrara native skeleton tools, and a couple of poses.

grinch rigged and posed.jpg
    800 x 600 - 28K
    edited May 2020

Monsters from the Deep!

What would a cryptid thread be without a lighthouse and some monsters from the deep?  Well, we will never know because this cryptid thread has a lighthouse and some monsters from the deep.  A thread at the other forum prompted me to revisit Poser 7 Sydney.  And while in my Rendo content runtime I came across the monster by Scott A.  The lighthouse is from the Carrara native objects browser.  Ocean is a terrain replicated with a seamless grid.  Scene setup and straight render attached.

ww01 sea monsters setup.jpg
    1307 x 1004 - 228K
    Lighthouse monsters 01.png
    1600 x 1200 - 1M
    Sea Monsters 01.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 284K