Carrara Challenge # 52 - Carrara Cryptids WIP thread--Entries Ended

Comments

• CbirdCbird Posts: 493
    Diomede said:

Sunburn Cyclops!

Here is my latest shader experiment for the Cyclops.  Still focused on experimenting with skin.  Here, I started with Black/White procedural shaders and then used the Baker plugin to generate grayscale texture maps for the whole cyclops.  Then I took the texture maps and used them in a blender to generate a sample diffuse channel.  A reason to bake maps is to edit them.  Ultimately, I intend to augment the maps by using the 3D paint tool on the model and in an image editor, but I thought this experiment was worth reporting.

- Map 1 was intended as a base for an eventual highlight channel map and bump map.  It is based on a spots procedural combined with marble and cell, but the spots dominate.

- Map 2 was intended as a base to supplement the color channel (diffuse).  It is a function of slope (face up toward the sun or down toward the ground).

- In a test of the diffuse effect, I created a blender of a tannish color and a reddish color.  For the blend, I added 50% spot map and 50% slope map.

I hope you see some potential in the result.  

Sooo, cool! So maybe animating a character blushing would be possible? Or, the other direction? say, going pale with fear?

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

Been away for a bit but also slowly toiling away at my image...

Headwax - Great looking textural effects. I don't even know how you can go from the original render to achieve that final stage. yes

Stezza - No problem, thanks for the info about your lighting, and thanks Bunyip for finding the link!
    The Drop Bear - great image! I also like the fox's expression, to me it reads something like "I made it...but what's that sound behind me?"

Cbird - great dynamic image. I like how the post work creates sort of an atmosphere from which the figures emerage and fade. Nice.

Diomede - Really awesome concepts for skin on your Sunburn Cyclops. Thanks for the explanations. Lookin' good!

edited May 2020

Here is that latest from me. I worked on the wings some more, still missing the alula, or "thumb". I wasted half a day trying to rig the webbed part of the wing...resorted to my overall 'brut force' appoach. A project for another time...

Tree bark textures and ground texture come from some photos I took last week end - I know, a bit of pixelation showing, will fix. The 5 thick tree trunks in the foreground are simple vertex cylinders. I extruded some roots on the one on the left . Other trees were made in the Plant Editor. I experimented modeling my own leaf clusters. Trees in the far distance are billboards - seperate rendering of a tree then brought into an external 2D editor for color manipulation.

Figures still need to be rigged. Girl's hair is just a stand-in simple hair mop on her head. I want to add more trees / vegetation so there isn't quite that precipitous drop off over the horizon there...wink

Everything is still a WIP.

Cheers

wip_woofus_forest_007a.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 310K
    Post edited by DesertDude on
    edited May 2020

A little more research on the Woofus, many articles corroborate it's history. From this article:

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/62008

"In 1936 an artist named Lawrence Tenney Stevens created a sculpture for the Texas Centennial Exposition. He said it depicted the progeny of an Australian sheep that took a vacation in Texas and had friendly relations with all of the state's top livestock. The result -- the Woofus -- had the head of a sheep, the body of a pig, the tail of a turkey, the wings of a duck, a horse's neck, and chrome longhorns. Also, it was both male and female.

Stevens' Woofus was removed in 1941 and never seen again. A popular theory is that the nine-foot-tall sculpture, made of cast concrete, was destroyed by Texas Christians, who saw the Woofus, with its indelicate backstory, as a pagan idol -- although no one really knows for sure what happened to it.

Over 60 years passed before another artist recreated the Woofus from its original model -- only to have it destroyed when his studio burned to the ground. Undaunted, a third Woofus was created and placed outside the Swine Building on the Texas State Fairgrounds. It has become a popular photo-op, and has thus far survived unmolested."

And one more, this:

My Woofus isn't finsihed yet but may already need some alterations based on this new anatomical evidence. And the mysterious vanishing...

Post edited by DesertDude on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,713

Stezza - great Dropbear - could have done with some very long teeth and claws !!!

Diomede - excellent tip about the sunburn !!!

DesertDude - awesome progress on the Woofus !!!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083
    edited May 2020

Thank you for the latest comments on my cyclops, CBird, DesertDude and Bunyip.

DesertDude - your latest cryptid is inspirational.  So much whimsy.  Great modeling.

Speaking of modeling, I need a farm animal or two for my scene.  Here is a quick way to get a low res cow.  It is very similar to a low res horse I did for a prior challenge.

- Find some pictures of the animal close to profile and close to straight on.  Doesn't have to be exact, just want general shape at this point.

- In the vertex modeler, load the profile pic in the front view (or directional view of your choice).

- Use the polyline tool to outline the animal.  In addition to placing points at major features, consider placing point across from them for ease of maintaining quads.

- For the cow, my initial outline actually has the bottom of the torso higher than the profile so the stomach can hang lower.

- Fill the polygon and match the point to create quads.

- Add thickness and duplicate. 

- Delete some interior points for the torso.  They should face each other.

- Use the bridge to join the legs and create the torso.  Use plus until the torso has three rows (midpoints and point near the legs).

- Select the bottom midpoints of the torso and move them down to match the profile.  The legs are on outside.

- Make minor adjustments to make more round

- Add some details like the udders, tail, the ears, etc.

cows reference.jpg
    340 x 318 - 31K
    cows reference 2.jpg
    1910 x 886 - 229K
    cows reference 5.jpg
    1152 x 931 - 101K
    cows reference 7.jpg
    945 x 709 - 105K
    cows reference 9.jpg
    1094 x 757 - 110K
    cows reference 10.jpg
    982 x 761 - 91K
    cows reference 13.jpg
    1655 x 941 - 206K
    cows reference 14.jpg
    1487 x 980 - 178K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

HW, thanks for the grim comment.  Uh, well, you know what I mean...

Speaking of grim, that is a pretty dark tooth fairy. :)  Awesome textures as usual.

Headwax said:

Cbird said:

--

Cbird, what a humongous wolf!  Great lighting.  Hope you can mute the line.

Stezza said:
    the Drop Bear

Wow Stezza, this is a different style.  I like it!

DesertDude, it just keeps getting better.  Your cartoon models and shaders are very cool.

Diomede said:

- Find some pictures of the animal close to profile and close to straight on.  Doesn't have to be exact, just want general shape at this point.

- In the vertex modeler, load the profile pic in the front view (or directional view of your choice).

- Use the polyline tool to outline the animal.  In addition to placing points at major features, consider placing point across from them for ease of maintaining quads.

- For the cow, my initial outline actually has the bottom of the torso higher than the profile so the stomach can hang lower.

- Use the bridge to join the legs and create the torso.  Use plus until the torso has three rows (midpoints and point near the legs).

- Select the bottom midpoints of the torso and move them down to match the profile.  The legs are on outside.

Diomede, nice cow and nice instructions, thanks!  I'm starting to follow your descriptions a little better.  This will look great with the Cyclops.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,804

udderly awesome cow @diomede  yes

thanks UB... but I can't remember the process I used ... frown

@bunyip02 I did enlarge the teeth by a long way but it doesn't show ... didn't think of the claws lol.... good tip for next one yes

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,986
    Stezza said:

@bunyip02 I did enlarge the teeth by a long way but it doesn't show ... didn't think of the claws lol.... good tip for next one yes

+ 1

Diomede said:

Thank you for the latest comments on my cyclops, CBird, DesertDude and Bunyip.

DesertDude - your latest cryptid is inspirational.  So much whimsy.  Great modeling.

Speaking of modeling, I need a farm animal or two for my scene.  Here is a quick way to get a low res cow.  It is very similar to a low res horse I did for a prior challenge.

Excellent modelling !!!

Stezza said:

I'm sure you will be able to add the required morphs !!!

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited May 2020

The Flying Monkeys - or Apes as they prefers to be called.

They can be found everywhere in the country, but normally in a distance from cities or villages, and are quite shy creatures. They are normally peacefully creatures, unless they feel cornered or are being provoked.

Despite their animalistic look, they are quite intelligent, and does sometimes seek work as henchmen for the various witches in the land.

Doc6.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by Varsel on
    Varsel said:

Nice winged ape there Varsel.  Very dark, and appropriately so!

edited May 2020

Behold, A Morning Star

Not all cryptids are grim. :)  I was going to call it "the joy of being cryptid."

This is the original version of Star, gliding over Castle Royal.  I've never used either product before.

Rendered the background separately, then loaded it a on a plane, and added the character in the foreground..

Used a couple of GMIC filters (Basic Color, Dream Smoothing), and Carrara processes (aura, text, lens flare, terrain, and hair).

Lots of indirect light, no postwork..

Behold A Morning Star.png
    1700 x 1133 - 2M
    Behold Carrara setup.JPG
    1607 x 982 - 303K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
    edited May 2020

Super updates.

Varsel, great to see you get another in.  Love the flying monkeys.  Feared them as a kid, though.

UB, another vibrant render, most excellent.  And I appreciate the cheery mood.  We can all use a little more of that.

But no cheery mood from me.  Here is my first straight render with a scene with the cyclops. Had lots of little problems.  For some reason, I got an error when I tried to use VWD.  Ended up just attaching clothes to skeletons.

Cyclops 01.png
    1143 x 1600 - 1M
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,839

yeah sadly VWD is hosed for me too, in DS and Poser too, some say the update works but don't know if Carrara one, cannot afford anyway so using that plugin DAZ studio to create Dforce morphs for stuffs

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,804
    Diomede said:

Super updates.

Varsel, great to see you get another in.  Love the flying monkeys.  Feared them as a kid, though.

UB, another vibrant render, most excellent.  And I appreciate the cheery mood.  We can all use a little more of that.

But no cheery mood from me.  Here is my first straight render with a scene with the cyclops. Had lots of little problems.  For some reason, I got an error when I tried to use VWD.  Ended up just attaching clothes to skeletons.

that is EPIC! yes

Appreciate the comments, WendyLuvsCats and Stezza.  

yeah sadly VWD is hosed for me too, in DS and Poser too, some say the update works but don't know if Carrara one, cannot afford anyway so using that plugin DAZ studio to create Dforce morphs for stuffs

RE: VWD - I did a couple of quick drape tests with simple sample objects.  It ran fine. 

I guess there is something about my scene, or my objects.  Will shift the reporting of any further tests to the VWD thread or my No One Asked Me thread.

edited May 2020

I took the render and plugged it in the backdrop channel of the scene tab.  Then I applied some GMIC filters.  Primarily upped the saturation and contrast using the artistic and color sections of GMIC, but some other experiments as well.

I took the result, plugged it in a new file, and inserted some text objects for the author/titles.

Cyclopedia Book Cover.jpg
    1143 x 1600 - 120K
    edited May 2020

NOTE - I'm not entering the book cover.  I'm entering the GMIC result without the text.

Cyclops Composite 01.jpg
    1143 x 1600 - 217K
    edited May 2020

And here is the scene setup.  Lots of clouds.

cyclops scene setup.jpg
    1865 x 994 - 278K
    edited May 2020

Revisions to Lake Monster Project

- fins - UB made a good observation that the fins looked strange - I think it was a quirk of the camera angle and the pose - I adjusted the pose of the side fins

- windows of sub - I had bulb lights next to windows, I replaced with spot lights and then used effects tab to create light cones (low setting so not sure can notice)

- fog on lake bottom - appeared too patterned - adjusted density and scale until pattern less obvious - trial and error

- Bubbles from propeller created with primitive sphere replicated on cones parented to the propeller

- propeller - copied and pasted the propeller mesh to a new object, rotated slightly, and then applied a blur under the effetcs tab - hope it gives illusion of propellers moving

- lake monster - in addition to fin pose noted above, played with the shader some more.  I'm still not satisfied with the shader and may keep experimenting

aa01 scene setup lake monster.jpg
    1869 x 1013 - 417K
    aa02 updated lake monster.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 238K

Thanks for the comment, Diomede!  "Vibrant."  I'll take that. :)

Nice adjustment on those creature fins.

The cyclops also looks much better with the addition of GMIC. I wish the lighting emphasized the eye and the cow a bit more.  Great (classic) poses in the foreground characters.  Is the cyclops searching for these folks?  If so, his head would likely be tilted more downward, and the eye might be easier to enhance.  But the render works just as well if he is unaware of the hidden couple.

The clouds, terrain, and the washed-out sun are perfect.

Varsel - love the composition of your scene

UB - if it wasn't for that bikini top that image would be violating the TOS - nice render btw

Diomede - Cyclops is looking epic, really like the light cones on the sub

Thanks for the comments, UB and Bunyip.  

I was just checking the rules and saw that we have until June 1st, and we can have up to 5 entries.  I think I will try to put together another entry.  Thinking cap back on.

The Entry Thread is now open!

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/409876/carrara-challenge-52-carrara-cryptids-entry-thread

There is still time for more curious, creative Carrara cryptids! Bring out your monsters!

Also, feel free to add monster creations to the WIP thread that you don't necessarily plan to enter. Please have fun!

edited May 2020

Another go at the Weheela. I've added some more rocks and plants to refect the moonlight and tone down the crazy white line. I think this is a bit better. Thank you all for the feedback.

May22Redo.jpg
    686 x 800 - 629K
    Post edited by Cbird on

@Diomede, thank you for the cow instructions. I'm definitely going to try to follow them and see where I end up. The Cyclops is fantastic. The clouds and lighting are so moody, they really seem to fit the Cyclopean nature as a child of Poseidon.

@Varsel, Flying Monkeys have always scared me, but the posing and setting of yours actually makes it convincingly naturalistic.

@UB, Love the burst of colour. Seems fitting for your cute cryptid.

edited May 2020

Thank you CBird for the comments on the cyclops.  Your Weheela is very energetic.  Most impressive!  If you are genuinely interested in the steps I used for the cow (instead of starting with a cube), I'd also recommend looking at the toon horse I modeled for a recent challenge.  I think I skipped fewer steps.  EDIT - Details of horse model in No One Asked Me thread.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5192386/#Comment_5192386

I think I've come up with another idea.  Does a Grinch count as a Cryptid?

First modeling steps.  I found a reference image and loaded it in the global tab of the vertex modeler.  This time I started with an oval cross section, emptied the polygon, duplicated, moved vetically, resized, and repeated for the torso and head.   I then used ruled surfaces to loft up the ovals. Always remember to delete the polylines after the ruled surface function.  With this as the basic shape, I began adding some detail.  

It is still extremely low res and very rough, but I hope you can see it start to look like a grinch.

grinch 01 reference in global tab.jpg
    1574 x 964 - 178K
    grinch 02 duplicate ovals and scale for cross section and then ruled surface to connect and inverse selection and remove the polylines.jpg
    930 x 853 - 93K
    grinch 04 start on feet.jpg
    649 x 840 - 77K
    grinch 12 start on details but still low res.jpg
    858 x 892 - 143K