The Marvelous Designer Thread

Comments

• felis said:
    barbult said:
    barbult said:
    I don't use MD, but blender.

But there I do it in a similar way to create that illusion. And I make the outmost row of polygons and the bended row its own material group so when I dForce it I can apply its own dForce settings primarily on buckling stiffness and ratio, and that holds pretty well under simulation.

@Felis - Yes that works too, you can export out of MD too as a seperate material. I quite often just realistically hem my clothing, depends on its end use!

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133
    edited April 2020
    felis said:
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

But there I do it in a similar way to create that illusion. And I make the outmost row of polygons and the bended row its own material group so when I dForce it I can apply its own dForce settings primarily on buckling stiffness and ratio, and that holds pretty well under simulation.

@Felis - Yes that works too, you can export out of MD too as a seperate material. I quite often just realistically hem my clothing, depends on its end use!

Oops - I meant to quote the Felis post about the separate hem dForce simulation values.

@ Felis What dForce surface values work well for you on the separate hem area? I haven't had luck yet on that technique.

Post edited by barbult on
  • SelekSelek Posts: 70

I'm having problems with basic functionality of the software and so far it seems annoyingly right-hand centric in terms of interface (I'm used to interfaces where the work is balanced between the two hands, which is better for avoiding handstrain, carpal tunnel, etc., but as far as I can tell so far, this software wants everything to be done with different buttons on the mouse rather than allowing control-char/mouse combinations).

I don't own MD yet, but I'm curious whether you still have this concern now that you've had MD for a while.  I can't mouse very long with my right hand; in fact, I almost always use a trackpad attached to my keyboard, together with Autohotkeys, or my Wacom tablet (for ZBrush).  All this stuff about "long right presses" and middle-mouse pushes makes me worried.  Can one configure the UI to make it more keyboard friendly?

• felisfelis Posts: 3,646
    barbult said:
    felis said:
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

Oops - I meant to quote the Felis post about the separate hem dForce simulation values.

@ Felis What dForce surface values work well for you on the separate hem area? I haven't had luck yet on that technique.

I increase buckling stiffness, even to 100% and decrease buckling ratio, even to 0%.

In the attached image the area with different dForce setting is marked with red, and I have applied a smoothing modifier after simulation. Here it is with 100 and 0, and is to sharp if you come in this close. So either bevel the edge or lower the settings some..

DS_dforce.PNG
    733 x 594 - 816K
  • Anyone found a good workflow for adding zipper morphs from marvelous designer to daz3d? You can't reimport a piece of clothing back from daz3D with the zipper because once you simulate it goes flying, also the zipper no longer works.

The only workaround I can currently think of is to have your finalized particle distance, to keep poly count the same. Export zipper + zipper tape seperately to the garment at different stages from unzipped to zipped. Do the exact workflow you did the first time round so everything has the same poly count, import back to daz3d and apply that morph.

Rinse and repeat, over and over for unzipped to fully zipped. 

OR, would simply having the original fully zipped or unzipped version work inside daz3d, then you simulate it the opposite way and import that version as a morph, then it should zip up and down normally when going from range 0 to 100? Need to try this when I can get around to it cheeky

• Marmalade BoyMarmalade Boy Posts: 103
    edited May 2020
    killercow said:

I`m trying to make JCM with MD. I'm doing pJCMAbdomenFwd_35 and with only this morph it looked great, but in any other position it has ugly poke through.

I wached tutorials, but everyone explain how to do one hand morph or one leg in pants, but no one explain how to make skirt with both legs used.

Can anyone help? or nudge me in right direction? Is it even posible at all?

pictures: 

1 - without custom JCM

2 - with custom JCM

3 - different pose (Base Pose Sitting B from base poses)

Hey Killercrow,

Not sure if this will help but have you checked out this video  How to fit DAZ Clothing using Marvelous Designer ? Pay close attention to the replacement section.

Post edited by Marmalade Boy on
    edited May 2020
    killercow said:

I`m trying to make JCM with MD. I'm doing pJCMAbdomenFwd_35 and with only this morph it looked great, but in any other position it has ugly poke through.

I wached tutorials, but everyone explain how to do one hand morph or one leg in pants, but no one explain how to make skirt with both legs used.

Can anyone help? or nudge me in right direction? Is it even posible at all?

pictures: 

1 - without custom JCM

2 - with custom JCM

3 - different pose (Base Pose Sitting B from base poses)

Hey Killercrow,

Not sure if this will help but have you checked out this video  How to fit DAZ Clothing using Marvelous Designer ? Pay close attention to the replacement section.

Thanks for the video link. It's a good tutorial for making an FBM (full body morph) but doesn't address JCMs at all.

@Killercrow this tutorial from SickleYield describes JCMs for both legs. It is old and is related to Blender, but I think it will be helpful.

• @barbult

It's pretty much the same process almost. Only this time you put your g8 model in the pose you want it in that's causing issues, export as OBJ like that then import to MD as morph target at 30-60 frames.

Here's a vid explanation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvxQWUw24Ro&list=PLJB5iVJzTSqQXOOWZATBtvwQK0o9YpH1N&index=2

edited May 2020

@barbult

It's pretty much the same process almost. Only this time you put your g8 model in the pose you want it in that's causing issues, export as OBJ like that then import to MD as morph target at 30-60 frames.

Here's a vid explanation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvxQWUw24Ro&list=PLJB5iVJzTSqQXOOWZATBtvwQK0o9YpH1N&index=2

Excuse me, I've lost the train of conversation here. blush Which problem is this video addressing? JCMs for two legs, or something else?

• @Barbult 

Just using Marvelous Designer to fix JCMs for anything really without taking it into zbrush or somewhere else to fix by just letting it auto drape quickly!

@Barbult 

Just using Marvelous Designer to fix JCMs for anything really without taking it into zbrush or somewhere else to fix by just letting it auto drape quickly!

Thanks. SickleYield offers a lot of good tutorials.

lilweep said:

"She" who? That isn't SickleYield.

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,674
    edited May 2020

patrova combine is pretty well known in the marvelous designer world. She sells a ton of MD garments at great prices https://www.artstation.com/digitalcombine/store

Post edited by TheKD on
  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,234

our queen

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited May 2020

As I started this thread I feel a little guilty not to have contributed more to the discussion but, to be frank, I haven't touched MD for a long time and have bought a few dForce garments during that time. Shame on me for being so lazy.

However, I'm motivated to get started again and put some time into learning MD. I bought some courses a while ago and now I need to watch them. I have a question for the regulars here though: I have MD8 and am wondering whether the upgrade to 9.5 is worth it? If so, an explanation of why would be appreciated because I might just hold on for MD10 and look again if 9.5 holds no special advantages.

Post edited by marble on

I started with MD 9, so I have no basis for comparison with earlier versions. I think I'd suggest waiting, at least until there is a good sale, if you aren't using it very actively. 

i dont really know what im doing in MD so you cant go by me, , but i dont think it's worth it to upgrade to 9.  I guess it depends who you ask, but i think the "biggest" new feature in 9 is the GPU accelerated simulation.  But to be honest, i dont like to use it because it sometimes crashes the program (I have a RTX 2080TI).  The normal simulation mode is still best in my opinion. GPU accelerated simulation doesnt understand layers, it has far fewer simulation property options etc.  It has very few use cases outside of just simulating obj files or simple single-layered garments.

9 had some other cool features that 8 didnt have, but theyre nothing game changing.

• Retopology - Never used it (i guess this is good for content creators)
    • Half Pattern Symmetry - never used it
    • GPU Simulation - as above, it is good to have but not as good as standard mode
    • Subdivision - Useful in a few cases, but lowering the particle distance achieves the same thing
    • Mirror Creation - Never used it

I have 9, but if I had a license for 8 i would just use that because it has all the functions i use.

edited May 2020
    lilweep said:

i dont really know what im doing in MD so you cant go by me, , but i dont think it's worth it to upgrade to 9.  I guess it depends who you ask, but i think the "biggest" new feature in 9 is the GPU accelerated simulation.  But to be honest, i dont like to use it because it sometimes crashes the program (I have a RTX 2080TI).  The normal simulation mode is still best in my opinion. GPU accelerated simulation doesnt understand layers, it has far fewer simulation property options etc.  It has very few use cases outside of just simulating obj files or simple single-layered garments.

9 had some other cool features that 8 didnt have, but theyre nothing game changing.

• Retopology - Never used it (i guess this is good for content creators)
    • Half Pattern Symmetry - never used it
    • GPU Simulation - as above, it is good to have but not as good as standard mode
    • Subdivision - Useful in a few cases, but lowering the particle distance achieves the same thing
    • Mirror Creation - Never used it

I have 9, but if I had a license for 8 i would just use that because it has all the functions i use.

Just saved me $120 so thank you! Also, my purchased tutorials are based on 8 or earlier.

Post edited by marble on
    barbult said:

I started with MD 9, so I have no basis for comparison with earlier versions. I think I'd suggest waiting, at least until there is a good sale, if you aren't using it very actively. 

Yep, wise words. Thanks.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

Although MD announced the release of 9.5, my account says I've got the latest version. I upgraded to 9.0 recently. Maybe in a month or so, the upgrade price will show. From what I've read in past years, the upgrade price with from X.0 to X.5 isn't as high as from X.0 to X+1.0.

I have toyed with the remesh and such. Not sure what I'm doing, but I can export the object with nicer looking mesh. Being able to edit it though, and get rid of some of those wonky quads is a plus, imo. On the other hand, I haven't actually paid the CC for 9.0 yet! lol

edited May 2020
    L'Adair said:

Although MD announced the release of 9.5, my account says I've got the latest version. I upgraded to 9.0 recently. Maybe in a month or so, the upgrade price will show. From what I've read in past years, the upgrade price with from X.0 to X.5 isn't as high as from X.0 to X+1.0.

I have toyed with the remesh and such. Not sure what I'm doing, but I can export the object with nicer looking mesh. Being able to edit it though, and get rid of some of those wonky quads is a plus, imo. On the other hand, I haven't actually paid the CC for 9.0 yet! lol

Mine offered the update to 9.5 in the app, like previous updates (free). Maybe you already have it installed. What does your About screen say, or the splash screen when you start MD?

Screenshot 2020-05-09 22.37.26.png
    350 x 409 - 20K
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

I've been a little busy with a DS snafu of my own making, (I now know how scene files are organized! lol,) and I haven't opened MD in a while. I just opened it and got the update dialog. Downloading the update now. I'm delighted this update is included. Thanks for clueing me in!

In defense of the GPU simulator, I will say it is really the only feasible way I have found to simulate complex Objs (either exported from Daz itself - i.e., daz wardrobe items - or OBJ clothing like the one attached which is from Polygonal Miniatures).

using CPU to simulate this would take forever. 

PM-Test.png
    2250 x 1500 - 1M

So I have started to look at MD again (I have MD8, as I mentioned above) and I have scanned though this thread again but I might have missed a post or two. Does anyone have a workflow they could post for getting a garment back into DAZ Studio - preferably for conversion to dForce. I know some prefer to drape on a posed avatar in MD and export the Garment back to DAZ Studio but I'd like to see how it works with dForce. I'm sure there must be some tips and tricks to get the dForce surfaces right and prevent explosions. I am particularly concerned about fitting the clothes to various sizes and shapes of G8 but I suspect I might have to make avatars for those body shapes and adjust the shapes in MD before exporting?

edited May 2020

I use a particle size of 10 usually and quadrangulate the mesh. dForce doesn't like triangles. I export from MD as thin and welded. in DS I make it a conforming garment with the Transfer Utility. I apply the dForce Dynamic Modifier and it simulates pretty well with default settings. (I haven't made elaborate clothing with many layers.) For hard to fit character shapes I often use an animated simulation starting at G8F and morphing to the desired figure. Then I export the garment OBJ and make an FBM for the character, so I don't have to do this the next time.

I made this polo shirt for G8F and then made an FBM for Mabel following the animation technique I described above.

Mabel 8 Modular Polo Raglan Short Edge Fold 4_001.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 3M
    edited May 2020
    barbult said:

I use a particle size of 10 usually and quadrangulate the mesh. dForce doesn't like triangles. I export from MD as thin and welded. in DS I make it a conforming garment with the Transfer Utility. I apply the dForce Dynamic Modifier and it simulates pretty well with default settings. (I haven't made elaborate clothing with many layers.) For hard to fit character shapes I often use an animated simulation starting at G8F and morphing to the desired figure. Then I export the garment OBJ and make an FBM for the character, so I don't have to do this the next time.

I made this polo shirt for G8F and then made an FBM for Mabel following the animation technique I described above.

All very encouraging. I have a bunch of ready-made garments that I can use for practise (from CG Elves) and there are some low-priced garments from the already mentioned Evgeniya Petrova at ArtStation. Is the Transfer Utility step important? I've never used it before.

By the way - I'm really impressed at the skill you've already developed in such a short time. 

Post edited by marble on

I've always used the transfer utility. It will give the garment some default weight mapping and will autofollow character morphs and poses. I'm not sure I have the terminology correct.

• Little PSA in case this hasn't been previously noted in this thread: in MD 9.5 there's a bug in the Tack on Avatar feature. I'm sharing because it took me two hours to figure out I wasn't doing something wrong and maybe this will help prevent someone else from experiencing that frustration. It's been reported and they're working on it.

• UnseenUnseen Posts: 606
    edited May 2020

Remeshing to retopology (selected) feature doesn't seem to work for me...

I don't know if other Marvelous Designer users have the same problem but when I use the new Remeshing to retopology (selected) feature in version 9.5 (as explained in the video at the MD website) nothing happens.

I have posted a help request in their forum but it is still pending approval after a week and I never got any answer to the help request I sent via their online form... They seem to ignore me and it is very annoying.

Remesh_Retopo.png
    2283 x 1363 - 1M
    Post edited by Unseen on