The Marvelous Designer Thread

145791014

Comments

  • MusclemanMuscleman Posts: 2,712
    lilweep said:

    Another possibility:

    Is it possible to have the skirt under the chest piece rather than connected directly to it?

    You could create an avatar that has the chest piece positioned away from the character. Then create an ordinary skirt in MD and then use morph target to layer the chest piece on top. Like this:

    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Z4QDZ

    Great!

  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 1,343
    edited December 2019

    So, I thought I figured out how to do texturing within MD.

    But, while the diffuse maps come out fine using the MD UV editor, on the other hand the Normal and Roughness maps just dont work properly when using graphic/decals.  The graphics are not lining up in the normal vs diffuse map views (which i guess i could correct manually for each one, but why this isnt automatic i dont know?). But also where a graphic doesnt have a normal map, the auto-generated normal map just shows up completely black.  So i guess I would need to make a corresponding normal map for every graphic i use.

    3D Window.JPG
    1056 x 1011 - 83K
    Normal UV editor (2).JPG
    993 x 359 - 43K
    Normal UV editor (1).JPG
    974 x 363 - 54K
    Post edited by lilweep on
  • bbaluchonbbaluchon Posts: 30
    edited December 2019

    Did anyone figure out how to get a single piece of fabric, with back and front on different UV islands (different colors) ?
     

    Still trying to create a pelt hide cloak, with brown inside and white outside...
    Without thickening in Zbrush, creating UVs then reimporting into MD (wich now doesnt work properly anymore with simulation - problematic for JCM creation), I had no luck...

    Maybe exporting as thick piece, but anyway tris are ugly, as well as MD remeshing... Couldnt get a clean mesh wich I can use to generate all needed JCM... :/

    On top of that, there is still no way of freezing only parts of a single piece of fabric/mesh in MD, so when I reimport my hide base position and simulation are not on the same base as before.
    At best, I could pin parts on avatar, but my hide piece is now behaving like it's an empty "pocket" of thin fabric, instead of a thick leather piece (and pins are not configurable in strenght, causing an ugly crushing on holding parts - empty pocket style).

    Using dForce in DS may work (with strenght maps), but will take ages to generate all needed JCMs. Or I only use dForce in DS, without JCMs since it's a cloak ?

    Any clue about a proper workflow/workaround for my case ? I only see thin fabrics as examples everywhere... Everyone seems to have lost any hope about working with thick meshes in MD... :(

    Post edited by bbaluchon on
  • lilweep said:

    So, I thought I figured out how to do texturing within MD.

    But, while the diffuse maps come out fine using the MD UV editor, on the other hand the Normal and Roughness maps just dont work properly when using graphic/decals.  The graphics are not lining up in the normal vs diffuse map views (which i guess i could correct manually for each one, but why this isnt automatic i dont know?). But also where a graphic doesnt have a normal map, the auto-generated normal map just shows up completely black.  So i guess I would need to make a corresponding normal map for every graphic i use.

    lilweep, your stuff is really cool, as well. *sigh* I've got a LONG way to go :)

  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 1,343
    bbaluchon said:

    Did anyone figure out how to get a single piece of fabric, with back and front on different UV islands (different colors) ?
     

    Still trying to create a pelt hide cloak, with brown inside and white outside...
    Without thickening in Zbrush, creating UVs then reimporting into MD (wich now doesnt work properly anymore with simulation - problematic for JCM creation), I had no luck...

    Maybe exporting as thick piece, but anyway tris are ugly, as well as MD remeshing... Couldnt get a clean mesh wich I can use to generate all needed JCM... :/

    On top of that, there is still no way of freezing only parts of a single piece of fabric/mesh in MD, so when I reimport my hide base position and simulation are not on the same base as before.
    At best, I could pin parts on avatar, but my hide piece is now behaving like it's an empty "pocket" of thin fabric, instead of a thick leather piece (and pins are not configurable in strenght, causing an ugly crushing on holding parts - empty pocket style).

    Using dForce in DS may work (with strenght maps), but will take ages to generate all needed JCMs. Or I only use dForce in DS, without JCMs since it's a cloak ?

    Any clue about a proper workflow/workaround for my case ? I only see thin fabrics as examples everywhere... Everyone seems to have lost any hope about working with thick meshes in MD... :(

    i dont know much about remeshing, topology, and creating JCMs, but you mentioned problems with your fabric behaviour which i might have some insight on.

    Did you use a front and back pattern piece as way to have different colours on the back and front?  If so, you might have sewn along the outer edge of the two pieces and MD will assign default fold angle. If you dont want the fabric behaviour to inflate like a pocket, you should change the fold angle to zero. 

  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 1,343
    edited December 2019
    lilweep said:

    So, I thought I figured out how to do texturing within MD.

    But, while the diffuse maps come out fine using the MD UV editor, on the other hand the Normal and Roughness maps just dont work properly when using graphic/decals.  The graphics are not lining up in the normal vs diffuse map views (which i guess i could correct manually for each one, but why this isnt automatic i dont know?). But also where a graphic doesnt have a normal map, the auto-generated normal map just shows up completely black.  So i guess I would need to make a corresponding normal map for every graphic i use.

    lilweep, your stuff is really cool, as well. *sigh* I've got a LONG way to go :)

    This outfit i made is actually garbage and is held together by a literal thread.  I have no idea what I am doing if that makes you feel any better.  I made that outfit without any pattern references. I didnt measure anything.  And a lot of it is an asymmetrical mess.


    I have only been using MD for a little while (maybe 5 months) to pose clothing, and I only started making my own clothing around November. I would consider myself to be a beginner too.  So I dont think you have "a LONG way to go" if you are using me as a measurement.

    Post edited by lilweep on
  • lilweep said:
    lilweep said:

    So, I thought I figured out how to do texturing within MD.

    But, while the diffuse maps come out fine using the MD UV editor, on the other hand the Normal and Roughness maps just dont work properly when using graphic/decals.  The graphics are not lining up in the normal vs diffuse map views (which i guess i could correct manually for each one, but why this isnt automatic i dont know?). But also where a graphic doesnt have a normal map, the auto-generated normal map just shows up completely black.  So i guess I would need to make a corresponding normal map for every graphic i use.

    lilweep, your stuff is really cool, as well. *sigh* I've got a LONG way to go :)

    This outfit i made is actually garbage and is held together by a literal thread.  I have no idea what I am doing if that makes you feel any better.  I made that outfit without any pattern references. I didnt measure anything.  And a lot of it is an asymmetrical mess.


    I have only been using MD for a little while (maybe 5 months) to pose clothing, and I only started making my own clothing around November. I would consider myself to be a beginner too.  So I dont think you have "a LONG way to go" if you are using me as a measurement.

    Clearly, you are your own worst critic ???? It looks pretty cool nonetheless.
  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 1,343

    In general, I feel like you should always be your own worst critic, as other people are too polite.

    But I mainly just wanted to convey the idea that what im doing is definitely very achievable for new people and required little skill or even planning.

  • souwritray2009souwritray2009 Posts: 15
    edited January 2020

    I had Created this dress in Marvelous Designer 9 :

    Now I wanted to import this dress in DS 4.12 and use it on the Gen8 female figure, I saved it as OPSS 2.obj But it did not show up after import, although it can be seen in the Scene Tab. I renamed it again as OPSS-2.obj, but still it did not show up :

    I need help on this

    UPDATE : One user suggested that : 

    Maybe it is a scaling problem on the export and/or import of the OBJ. Hide G8F. Select one of the OPSS-2 items in the scene pane. Type Ctrl-F to frame the selected object in the viewport. Can you see it now? If so, it may have been scaled so tiny it was inside of G8F or so large it was way outside of the viewport.

     

    I did exactly that and this happened :

    Now what to do?

     

    Post edited by Chohole on
  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 1,343
    edited January 2020

    So .... Zoom out?  Where is that in reference to scene origin?

    Also, you have evidentally exported your avatar from MD with the garment together.  So you would need to fix that. 

    Orientation of your exported garment-avatar combo from Marvelous Designer also seems rotated.

    What are your export settings from Marvelous Designer?  The 1st page of this thread has recommended export settings.  (Note: to export your textures from MD as a diffuse texture, you would need to check a few extra boxes.)

    Post edited by lilweep on
  • bbaluchonbbaluchon Posts: 30
    edited January 2020

    Looks like you exported both the dress (patterns) and the figure (avatar), on incorrect scale.

    Check only "patterns" : select all needed patterns > export Obj(selected), uncheck "export avatars", and select cm (DAZ) scale. It should work without trouble.

    Use "thin" and "weld" options as well.

    Post edited by bbaluchon on
  • lilweep said:

    So .... Zoom out?  Where is that in reference to scene origin?

    Also, you have evidentally exported your avatar from MD with the garment together.  So you would need to fix that. 

    Orientation of your exported garment-avatar combo from Marvelous Designer also seems rotated.

    What are your export settings from Marvelous Designer?  The 1st page of this thread has recommended export settings.  (Note: to export your textures from MD as a diffuse texture, you would need to check a few extra boxes.)

    These are the Settings : NOTE : I Had unchecked the Select all avatars option.

  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 1,343
    edited January 2020

    Weird.  Maybe humour us and try again using the Export Settings Enchanted_April describes on the first page of this thread and see what happens when you import into Daz?  Export settings from Marvelous Designer can be a bit particular.

    If you are still having issue with exporting your Avatar together with your clothing, then delete the avatar before export. (Avatar>Delete All Avatars)

    The secondary issue of your Imported Obj potentially being far away from scene origin or very small/large, and therefore not visible upon import when viewing the scene at origin, could be due to either:

    • Export settings from Marvelous Designer
    • Export settings of Avatar out of other program (I assume Daz Studio?)

     

    Post edited by lilweep on
  • bbaluchonbbaluchon Posts: 30
    edited January 2020

    Your axis should be X, Y(up) and Z when importing avatar, and exporting.
    Scale issue may be caused by incorrect importation of avatar ; check you exported your Genesis base at daz default settings, with 100% scale, and imported into MD with those settings :

    Import (add) OBJ > add / load as avatar / Scale cm (DAZ) 100% (uncheck auto-scale) / Axis X, Y(up), Z (uncheck all invert) / Translate 0,0,0 (uncheck align bottom).

    If your avatar is still exported with garment, check if you didnt mistakenly import your genesis figure as garment.
    Try deleting avatar in MD (avatar menu) to see if your figure is deleted, then export to see what happens.

    Post edited by bbaluchon on
  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 1,343

    I havent tried this yet, but this new details set by Evgeniya looks good.

    sdfs.jpg
    1800 x 1013 - 223K
  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 1,343

    Experimenting with some belts from Evgeniya's details set above.

    Made this harness.  Main body piece was altered from an existing suit.

    Render/shading done in Daz. Shaders are just placeholders for illustration.  Im going to do textures in Substance probably.

    Capture546465.JPG
    930 x 1143 - 68K
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 16,777
    lilweep said:

    Experimenting with some belts from Evgeniya's details set above.

    Made this harness.  Main body piece was altered from an existing suit.

    Render/shading done in Daz. Shaders are just placeholders for illustration.  Im going to do textures in Substance probably.

    That looks amazing, but I can't pick out what parts you used in what places.

  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 1,343
    edited February 2020

    I only used 4 or 5 of them - mostly the ones that were straps/buckles.  I also converted the one on bottom left from 4 straps to a three strapped piece to serve as the holster/pocket on the thigh.

    Post edited by lilweep on
  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 1,343
    asdasdfds.jpg
    600 x 500 - 19K
    dfsff.jpg
    600 x 500 - 32K
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,461

    I bookmarked this thread when it first appeared, then have been deliberately ignoring it since because of RL things, (FHA home refi, appraisal, sump pump install, search for an electrician…, you know, life!) But while there is work yet to be done, we sign loan papers this week, and nothing coming up needs to be done "yesterday." So I snuck over to the MD site and got the MD9 upgrade and a few free garments to play with…

    But I feel like I can dedicate some time to really learning the program, so now I have five and a half pages to catch up on, and the current version so I can follow along with the rest of you.

  • KharmaKharma Posts: 3,168

    I haven't tried MD yet but I understand that when you import G8 into the program, there is a profile for your mannequin that sets some points on it to help make the clothing for your figure?  I'm sorry I don't recall the name of it but I thought I had seen it for download to MD on either a website or in a video tutorial.  Anyone  know what this is called and where it may be acquired from?

  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 1,343
    edited February 2020
    Kharma said:

    I haven't tried MD yet but I understand that when you import G8 into the program, there is a profile for your mannequin that sets some points on it to help make the clothing for your figure?  I'm sorry I don't recall the name of it but I thought I had seen it for download to MD on either a website or in a video tutorial.  Anyone  know what this is called and where it may be acquired from?

    Im assuming you are talking about arrangment points.  Just so you know, arrangment points aren't necessary but can be useful in a few situations.

    When you import a G8 figure into Marvelous Designer, it won't automatically have arrangement points set.  You can download custom bounding volume/arrangment points for the base G8M and G8F here:

    But those are just for the base figure.  If you have significantly morphed figures, you can also create your own custom ones from within Marvelous Designer pretty easily. There are youtube tutorials on making custom bounding volumes and arrangment points.

    Post edited by lilweep on
  • KharmaKharma Posts: 3,168

    @lilweep  thanks so much , arrangement points was exactly what I was referring to!

  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 1,343
    edited February 2020

    I have a weird thing happening.

    I exported my garment and textures from MD.  I see a problem when i put the textures into Daz, where one of the textures is rendering lighter than it should.  

    See attached 3 textures for different areas of garment.  The 3 textures applied to character look the same colour in viewport and in the textures. When rendered, one of them appears lighter than the other two textures. 

    All the surface variables look to be exactly the same for every surface zone the textures are applied to.

    Viewport.JPG
    572 x 710 - 51K
    Rendered.JPG
    599 x 667 - 41K
    Capture03.JPG
    625 x 195 - 26K
    Post edited by lilweep on
  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 1,343

    Hmm nevermind, I moved the offending textures to a different UV tile in the UV Editor and I also imported my garment OBJ without reading material library.

    Not sure which one solved the problem but looks okay now.

  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 1,343

    Recently picked up some of Polygonal Miniature's stuff, since there was a sale at artstation.  I havent tried them in Daz D-force or Transfer Utility yet, but they work okay in Marvelous Designer.  I had to apply surface subdivision modifier first because it was too low poly to work well in simulation.

    I think one of the problems is, because they are photogrammetry scanned, the diffuse textures have folds etc which dont always look good when the garment is stretched.

     

    test-MD3.png
    2250 x 1500 - 3M
  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 1,343
    edited March 2020

    I recently purchased this outfit from artstation.  I think it was made by Lux Looks.

    This pose was very ugly - i didnt put much effort into posing it.  I think one of the good things about cloth simulation is you can disguise ugly poses.

     

    Capture565.JPG
    681 x 810 - 106K
    Post edited by lilweep on
  • killercowkillercow Posts: 23

    I`m trying to make JCM with MD. I'm doing pJCMAbdomenFwd_35 and with only this morph it looked great, but in any other position it has ugly poke through.

    I wached tutorials, but everyone explain how to do one hand morph or one leg in pants, but no one explain how to make skirt with both legs used.

    Can anyone help? or nudge me in right direction? Is it even posible at all?

     

    pictures: 

    1 - without custom JCM

    2 - with custom JCM

    3 - different pose (Base Pose Sitting B from base poses)

    2020-03-24 20_05_26-DAZ Studio 4.12 Pro - simple dress base imported.duf.png
    964 x 724 - 620K
    2020-03-24 20_05_50-DAZ Studio 4.12 Pro - simple dress base imported.duf.png
    968 x 725 - 608K
    2020-03-24 20_10_40-DAZ Studio 4.12 Pro - simple dress base imported.duf.png
    971 x 725 - 716K
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 16,777
    edited March 2020

    Marvelous Designer is having a sale.

    MD Sale.jpg
    707 x 331 - 47K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 1,343
    edited April 2020

    trying to sim a bag (i didnt make any of these pieces)

    I think i should have removed the thumb so i could get better contact with the cloth, then can add back the thumb in daz.

     

    Baggg.JPG
    894 x 815 - 58K
    Post edited by lilweep on
Sign In or Register to comment.