Carrara Challenge # 52 - Carrara Cryptids WIP thread--Entries Ended

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,713
    Headwax said:

last week downloaded my entire product library via dim onto a separate hard drive - amazing what stuff I have bought that I have never seen - but of course I cant find anything

here's a start

was going to be bigfoot foot print but will have a little fairy in th e grass I think.... as soon as I can find where the fairy wings are stored 

Looking good - hope you get that library sorted !!!

edited April 2020

Krakken Attack

Raw render

Post-worked, used Topaz Adjust to bring out the colours & details. Still need to add the splashes !

Splashes added in Paint Shop Pro

Carrara working scene

Krakken SwedishYacht 1.png
    1600 x 787 - 2M
    Krakken SwedishYacht 1 Topaz.png
    1600 x 787 - 3M
    Krakken SwedishYacht 1 Carrara.png
    2262 x 1033 - 961K
    Krakken SwedishYacht 1 Topaz Splashes.png
    1600 x 787 - 3M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083

Starting a Satyr for G2M - Legs

As mentioned above, I plan to create replacements for the legs.  I decided not to do a single figure.  Instead, I modeled conforming a thigh/knee figure and separate shins/hooves to be parented to the thighs figure.

- the thighs were modeled to G2M in default position

- then posed the thigh and shin to get the characteristic Satyr upper leg position at rest.

- the shin/hooves were modeled to the bent G2M thigh

- I exported the thighs to Daz Studio and used the transfer utility to convert to a conforming figure

- Back in Carrara, I loaded and conformed the thigh figure to G2M, turned visibility off for G2M's shins, feet, and toes, and applied a simple procedural shader to the thighs.

- I bent the G2M thighs and shins to the angle I modeled the hooves at.

- I loaded the hooves and parented them to the G2M shins.

aa50 test render.jpg
    640 x 480 - 13K
    Diomede said:

Starting a Satyr for G2M - Legs

As mentioned above, I plan to create replacements for the legs.  I decided not to do a single figure.  Instead, I modeled conforming a thigh/knee figure and separate shins/hooves to be parented to the thighs figure.

- the thighs were modeled to G2M in default position

- then posed the thigh and shin to get the characteristic Satyr upper leg position at rest.

- the shin/hooves were modeled to the bent G2M thigh

- I exported the thighs to Daz Studio and used the transfer utility to convert to a conforming figure

- Back in Carrara, I loaded and conformed the thigh figure to G2M, turned visibility off for G2M's shins, feet, and toes, and applied a simple procedural shader to the thighs.

- I bent the G2M thighs and shins to the angle I modeled the hooves at.

- I loaded the hooves and parented them to the G2M shins.

Great work - looking forward to seeing the finished item !!

edited April 2020

What time of day/night do the ornamental Gargoyles come alive ?

Gargoyle 52 1.png
    1600 x 831 - 986K
    Gargoyle 52 1 Carrara.png
    2269 x 1037 - 609K
    edited April 2020

Jabberwocky

Raw render

Postworked - Topaz Adjust - to bring out the colours and details.

Carrara working scene

Jabberwocky 1.png
    1600 x 1200 - 3M
    Jabberwocky 1 Topaz.png
    1600 x 1200 - 4M
    Jabberwocky 1 Carrara.png
    2267 x 1028 - 2M
    edited April 2020

Platypus Man - very shy and elusive critter

Raw render

Postworked - Topaz Adjust, to bring out colour & details

Carrara working scene

Platypus Man 52 1.png
    1600 x 900 - 2M
    Platypus Man 52 1 Topaz.png
    1600 x 900 - 3M
    Platypus Man 52 1 Carrara.png
    2287 x 1035 - 3M
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,804
    edited April 2020

Finding Banana BigFoot!

edited to add the work scene setup

Banana Bigfoot.jpg
    900 x 506 - 505K
    bbfWiP.JPG
    1769 x 833 - 250K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    Bunyip02 said:

Raw render

Carrara working scene

awesome platypus man you have ther @bunyip02 yes

edited April 2020

Will circle back to comment

Update on creating a Satyr with Genesis 2 Male.  Lots of hair.  Very resource intensive.  In addition to legs shown above, I created conforming hair holders for the torso, forearms, beard, hair, and eyebrows.  The skullcap that I created for the head includes holes for the horns.

aa51 holder for hair beard and horns.jpg
    468 x 511 - 32K
    Satyr test render 01.jpg
    600 x 800 - 30K
    Satyr test render 02.jpg
    600 x 800 - 22K
    Post edited by Diomede on

looking fab yes

Stezza said:

looking fab yes

+1 yes

Stezza said:
    Bunyip02 said:

Raw render

Carrara working scene

awesome platypus man you have ther @bunyip02 yes

Thanks !! Character is by a RobCg over at CGTrader, does some other nice critters as well !

• CbirdCbird Posts: 493
    Stezza said:

Wokadeemas!
    Their blood curdling cries can be heard at sunset emanating from the woods, especially around Bermagui and Kangaroo Valley!

I've heard them when on camping trips.... during the recent apocalyptic bush fires the firemen had those funny feelings of being watched! Some, when asked about them wouldn't answer but just turn white with fear and turn away..  they are the scavengers of the forest cleaning up the carcass's and those nearing their demise..

you thought drop bears were bad!

One glimpse of this guy, and I'm never going back to those woods again. I can't decide whether it's the slobber or the intestines that creep me out more. Scary cool!

• CbirdCbird Posts: 493

Bunyip, I love the scrambling on the ship deck in the Kraken pic. You've also reminded me of the Gargoyles cartoon that I loved (wonder if I can find it, great voice actors).

Diomede, the satyr is really coming along! Cool use of hair/fur.

edited April 2020

NVIATWAS  Normal Vicky in a Treescape with a Satyr. 

Needs some touch ups, but I like the basics of it.  (NOTE - This is an update from the original I posted here).

Appreciate the comments, Stezza, Bunyip, and CBird.  

Satyr Selfie 03.png
    1500 x 2000 - 4M
    edited April 2020

Catching up

- UB - the mermaid and hippocampus is spectacular.  Ethereal feel, wonderful mood.  Way to lead us off!  Set a very high bar.

- Stezza - Wokadeemus - I don't know what a wokadeemus is, but I'm scared $hitless, which is actually OK because of the toilet paper situation.  laugh  Excellent render.

- Bunyip - TyrannoChicken - That is so awesome.  Obviously the star of the next remake of Dawn of the Dead.  Rooster, dawn,... oh, never mind.

- Headwax - Footprint of Bigfoot?  Or TyrranoChicken?  Can't wait to see the magic you whip up for that one.

- Bunyip - Krakken, Gargoyles, Jabberwocky, and Platypus Man - the flood gates have opened!  You definitley have the best beastiary.  Will be hard to choose.

- Stezza - Finding Banana Bigfoot.  - your sense of humor sparkles.  Jellystone Park has got a big mystery.  Do right footed or left footed unipeds steal the bananas?

CBird, you obviously picked a great theme.  Looking forward to more renders.

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited April 2020

Dragon in Blue...

Doc5.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by Varsel on
    edited April 2020

Wonderful dragon, Varsel.  Great use of hair.  Hope you are well.

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,986
    Diomede said:

Wonderfully dragon, Varsel.  Great use of hair.  Hope you are well.

_  + 1  and good rocks  _

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574

Thanks folks... Yeah I'm fine. I had the symptoms for about a week... got a sick leave for two weeks,  but happily not that serious. Back at work, but no I am only working every second day.

We have had luck, and we have a good healthcare system here in Norway, so we have managed to get the pandemic under control. We are slowly starting to loosen up on restrictions. Some schools are starting up again on Monday. And you can finally get a haircut. But there are some rules and guidelines made for this. And if you break those or if you break the quarantine, you might get 20.000 NOK (around 2000Eur/USD) in fines. Worst case 2 years in prison..... Ther were a guy that was caught four times breaking quarantine - he got 40.000 NOK in fines.

And we have plenty of toilett papers... wink

edited April 2020

Freebie Lake Monster Model - see attached zip

- for my second entry, I thought I would do a lake monster render.  Seems like every lake that wants tourism has a legendary cryptid.  There is Nessie, Champie, one in Lousiana, etc, etc, etc.  

- I modeled and uvmapped a quick lake monster.

- Its not textured or rigged yet, but everyone is welcome to play around with it and get more cryptid renders entered.

zip
    zip
    Dio Lake Monster Untextured and Not Rigged Freebie ZIP.zip
    Lake Monster Freebie View.jpg
    1049 x 699 - 110K
    edited April 2020
    Varsel said:

Thanks folks... Yeah I'm fine. I had the symptoms for about a week... got a sick leave for two weeks,  but happily not that serious. Back at work, but no I am only working every second day.

We have had luck, and we have a good healthcare system here in Norway, so we have managed to get the pandemic under control. We are slowly starting to loosen up on restrictions. Some schools are starting up again on Monday. And you can finally get a haircut. But there are some rules and guidelines made for this. And if you break those or if you break the quarantine, you might get 20.000 NOK (around 2000Eur/USD) in fines. Worst case 2 years in prison..... Ther were a guy that was caught four times breaking quarantine - he got 40.000 NOK in fines.

And we have plenty of toilett papers... wink

Great news!

edited April 2020

Modeling the lake monster - I started with cross sections instead of starting with a box or a sphere.  I used the "ruled surfaces" function under the Construct menu.

zz06 duplicate translate and shape cross sections.jpg
    1351 x 775 - 126K
    zz07 construct ruled surface.jpg
    1286 x 662 - 98K
    zz08 click cross sections and hit enter.jpg
    1534 x 776 - 134K
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Thank you Cbird, DesertDude, Stezza, HW, Bunyip, and Diomede for the comments on the mermaid render. 

An explosion of Cryptids!  Not sure I can ever catch up, but here is a selective attempt.

Stezza, I think that your Wokadeema render just won most gruesome award!   Some serious entrails there. smiley  I suspect it looks wonderful, but I have to keep shielding my eyes, as I am a sensitive artiste. smiley

HW, I hope that you resolve your product library issues.

Bunyip, nice work on the Krakken image, and lively postwork.  Loved the splashes, as they made a big energy difference.  The other renders look great as well.

Diomede, awesome Satyr model.  Would also be great for a pinup Challenge. :)  And thanks for the freebie lake monster.

Varsel, you have been killing it lately.  Terrific use of Carrara hair on the dragon; shadows, textures, etc..  A very realistic render.

edited April 2020

Lost Horizon

Another mainstream Cryptid render.  The title refers (loosely) to the classic 1937 movie with Ronald Coleman.  There was no Yeti in the movie, but there should have been. :)

I got to use some new products.  The oriental structure is Matsumoto Castle by sugatak.  This was on sale a while back, and I took a chance on it.  It is a bit cumbersome to manipulate in the model room, but it ended up filling the need.

The plane is a DC-2, same as in the movie.  It was a freebie at sharecg.  The Yeti is Abominable for Genesis (the product is a morph without any hair or textures).  The starry BG is Dart's freebie texture map applied to a transparent sphere.  Carrara processes include terrain, hair. and aura.  Carrara is worth the price for the hair room alone.

The GMIC/filter stack was Color>Basic Adjustments, Toon 3, LyleJK, Freaky Details, and Black & White.

No postwork.

Lost Horizon.png
    1700 x 1247 - 2M
    Lost Horizon Carrara setup.JPG
    1630 x 1007 - 391K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
    edited April 2020

Excellent, UB.  One of my favorite movies (Ronald Coleman version), and of course I love the NPR style.  Really cool that you found the same plane.  

I textured the lake monster and stuck it in Dart's Underwater Realm set.  Unfortunately, my texture is too close to the colors of the set.  

I think I'd rather change the background than change the lake monster.  I do have to rig and pose it.

lake monster test render.jpg
    800 x 450 - 51K

Thanks Diomede.  I think that your critter texture is nice as it is, as it looks very native.  Another nice thing is seeing Dart's Underwater set in action, done properly.  I bought it years ago, but was never able to get it to work.

Lost Horizon

Another mainstream Cryptid render.  The title refers (loosely) to the classic 1937 movie with Ronald Coleman.  There was no Yeti in the movie, but there should have been. :)

I got to use some new products.  The oriental structure is Matsumoto Castle by sugatak.  This was on sale a while back, and I took a chance on it.  It is a bit cumbersome to manipulate in the model room, but it ended up filling the need.

The plane is a DC-2, same as in the movie.  It was a freebie at sharecg.  The Yeti is Abominable for Genesis (the product is a morph without any hair or textures).  The starry BG is Dart's freebie texture map applied to a transparent sphere.  Carrara processes include terrain, hair. and aura.  Carrara is worth the price for the hair room alone.

The GMIC/filter stack was Color>Basic Adjustments, Toon 3, LyleJK, Freaky Details, and Black & White.

No postwork.

nice filter on that image.. looking awesome yes

Diomede said:

Excellent, UB.  One of my favorite movies (Ronald Coleman version), and of course I love the NPR style.  Really cool that you found the same plane.  

I textured the lake monster and stuck it in Dart's Underwater Realm set.  Unfortunately, my texture is too close to the colors of the set.  

I think I'd rather change the background than change the lake monster.  I do have to rig and pose it.

coming along nicely... I'll have to have a bit of a play with it smiley

edited April 2020
    Diomede said:

Freebie Lake Monster Model - see attached zip

- for my second entry, I thought I would do a lake monster render.  Seems like every lake that wants tourism has a legendary cryptid.  There is Nessie, Champie, one in Lousiana, etc, etc, etc.  

- I modeled and uvmapped a quick lake monster.

- Its not textured or rigged yet, but everyone is welcome to play around with it and get more cryptid renders entered.

pulled some polys and boned the beast!

Nessie

nessiewip.jpg
    800 x 600 - 141K
    Nessie.jpg
    800 x 600 - 488K
    Post edited by Stezza on