RPG Appreciation Thread

Comments

• MADMANMIKEMADMANMIKE Posts: 407
    edited December 1969

leifgl said:
    WIP Character portrait. Pathfinder RPG Blue Goblin.
    Still need to get the lighting right and more blue in the skin colour.

Cool concept. To blue the skin, I sometimes just take the skin texture into an image editor and use the desaturate feature (or alter to Grayscale and then back to color after the color is gone). Then you use the new texture file instead of the original and alter the Diffuse color to your liking..

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,401
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...yep, she was a "little" heartbreaker, who being Scottish, also had quite the temper, along with a high tolerance for the "nectar of the highlands" (Scot's malt whiskey).

Can the M4 limbs they be adapted to female characters?

Been wanting to do a pic of involving Maria Mercurial (my favourite SR celeb) for some time now. According to the novel and description in the supplement, she is supposed to have some really "Swiss" (eg slick looking and expensive) chrome that just can't be mimicked with Bot parts, even Bot Genesis.

Also love to do a pic of my orc character Rosie who was an ex construction worker with a modular cyberarm that had different "tool" attachments. When she said 'I'm gonna' drill ya," she meant it, literally.

I finally did that test of the CYBERPUNK FOR M4 and the CYBERPUNK FOR M4 EXPANSION PACK on a female Genesis shape (Tessa), and they work great. I applied the right arm and both legs all with the included Chrome material settings, as well as a pair of interface ports, and even was able to use the Hide limbs utilities. Here she is.
    Cyberpunk-Girl-(small).jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 628K
  • Knight22179Knight22179 Posts: 1,195
    edited December 1969

Nicely done. :)

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited December 1969

...looks good. OK, on the wishlist it goes for now.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    They are nice sets. I used both the Cyberpunk for M4 and the Cyberpunk for M4 Expansion set. The expansion set comes with the cyberlegs, new, updated, boots with a fit for the cyberlegs, new "big guns", a "ballistic" mask, BDU shorts to show off the cyberlegs, and new textures.
    edited December 1969

Here's another Cyberpunk piece, appropriately titled Cyberpunks. This uses pieces from both the main set and expansion set, including the weapons (including the big guns), clothes, sunglasses. The environment is the Dystopia City Blocks 11-20 set.

Cyberpunks-(small).jpg
    2000 x 1539 - 382K
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    They are nice sets. I used both the Cyberpunk for M4 and the Cyberpunk for M4 Expansion set. The expansion set comes with the cyberlegs, new, updated, boots with a fit for the cyberlegs, new "big guns", a "ballistic" mask, BDU shorts to show off the cyberlegs, and new textures.
    ...well found out I need both Cyberpunk and the expansion to get both the arms and legs. Right now that's about 30$ and as I'm considering upgrading PSPX4 to X5 which can now import .abr brushes without needing to convert them (so I can finally use Deviney's brush sets), this has to go on the back burner for a while.

However, did see that Bot Genesis is on sale at 50% off.

edited December 1969

So after four months my gaming group managed to get our schedules in sync for a night and Thursday we played AD&D for the first time in about 20 years.. It was brutal (breaking in new dice), but fun. Here's the character portrait I put together for my half-elf thief, Renard Stentor.

Genesis in D|S 4.6, Kurt Hair, Slicer for M4, Journeyer Scout, Bow and Quiver from V3 Wildenlander, backpack freebie by JMalis, and short swords, purse and pouch from JMalis's RPG Series Part 4: Fighter Adventurer.

Post worked in Photoshop CS5, and I did a second render with no lights and no textures, then ran it through the posterise filter and several other steps to create the line effect.

RenardStentorPortraitDS.jpg
    626 x 800 - 218K
    edited December 1969

A crack team of mercenaries in the not too distant future.. I had Cyberpunk 2020 in mind when I did this one..

DT29MercsDS.jpg
    1500 x 964 - 403K
  • JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

So after four months my gaming group managed to get our schedules in sync for a night and Thursday we played AD&D for the first time in about 20 years.. It was brutal (breaking in new dice), but fun. Here's the character portrait I put together for my half-elf thief, Renard Stentor.

Genesis in D|S 4.6, Kurt Hair, Slicer for M4, Journeyer Scout, Bow and Quiver from V3 Wildenlander, backpack freebie by JMalis, and short swords, purse and pouch from JMalis's RPG Series Part 4: Fighter Adventurer.

Post worked in Photoshop CS5, and I did a second render with no lights and no textures, then ran it through the posterise filter and several other steps to create the line effect.

Good job man
    edited December 1969

A crack team of mercenaries in the not too distant future.. I had Cyberpunk 2020 in mind when I did this one..
    Not bad over all. However, the center character doesn't really scream "Cyberpunk" to me. She looks more classical "Pulp" sci-fi from the '30s, '40s and '50s. When I think "Cyberpunk" I think Neuromancer, Mad Max, Bladerunner, Johhny Mneumonic. The BFG wielded by the girl with the skull paint also looks more like some Art-Deco, weapon from The Rocketeer or Buck Rogers, than it does from a hard-core, gritty cyberpunk story.
  • JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Quest For The Missing 'A' (no, I didn't mean it like that, honest!)...
    ...or as I captioned on my dA page, "Join us... because we can't do 'YMCA' right with just the three of us" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Join_Us.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 868K
    edited December 1969

Kageto faces off against Yakuza thugs led by the man who murdered his parents.

Media: Daz Studio 4.0 Pro

Against the Yakuza

Against-the-Yakuza-(small).jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 557K
    edited December 1969

Kageto faces off against Yakuza thugs led by the man who murdered his parents.

Media: Daz Studio 4.0 Pro

Against the Yakuza

Hey, don't know how I missed this one, nice image.

Has anyone ever run an adventure on a lower gravity world? This one was inspired by the concept of sports developing on Mars where there's only .38% of earth's gravity..

DT36MarsRaceDT.jpg
    1174 x 1500 - 372K
    edited December 1969

...she slips among the shadows
    unnoticed,
    like the mists after a rain,
    her hunter
    now her prey.

she descends towards him
    silently,
    as a snowflake in winter
    though with a touch
    colder than ice.

Kyoto Kid, the character in her element.

out_of_the_shadows_fog_final_sig.jpg
    1064 x 1400 - 628K
    edited December 1969

My latest, a commission for a friend; I'm trying to raise the $50 to renew my PoserWorld subscription and get the DVDs, so I did this for $25.. Still need to do another before Tuesday..

DwarfRogueScientistDS.jpg
    1174 x 1500 - 349K
  • Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,209
    edited December 1969

Think I am a bit confused about this thread. Is this to post any image that is somehow game related? Not a gamer but I do like some of the Art that comes from them, really like how far CGI has come with online games and game counsels. I'm confused cause I don't know what you mean by paper rpg art unless your talking about game pieces similar to a game board or cards, like Magic (had a friend who played that). Or is this to just share art related to any rpg, including the multi player games my son always plays on the computer? I've been told this image has a game feel to it, though no one really said what game they were talking about...

http://calievee.deviantart.com/art/Fantasy-And-Science-Fiction-149387513

edited January 2014

Think I am a bit confused about this thread. Is this to post any image that is somehow game related? Not a gamer but I do like some of the Art that comes from them, really like how far CGI has come with online games and game counsels. I'm confused cause I don't know what you mean by paper rpg art unless your talking about game pieces similar to a game board or cards, like Magic (had a friend who played that). Or is this to just share art related to any rpg, including the multi player games my son always plays on the computer? I've been told this image has a game feel to it, though no one really said what game they were talking about...

http://calievee.deviantart.com/art/Fantasy-And-Science-Fiction-149387513

A "pen and paper" RPG, also known as a "Table-top" Role-playing game, is a role-playing game which uses a character sheet, dice, rule books, optional maps, (and sometimes figures) with multiple players and a Game Master gathered around a table creating the story by their interactions, with combat and skill check successes being determined by the roll of dice. The "On-line" RPGs are descended from table-top RPGs. Famous Table-top games include Dungeons and Dragons by WotC, Cyberpunkand Mekton by R.Talsorian Games, Shadow Run by FASA, Vampire the Masqueradeand Werewolf the Gathering by White Wolf Games, and Rifts by Palladium Games, among others. You create your own characters using the game's character generation system, and run them through adventures you, the other players, and the GM create together through play advancing your character's abilities by earning experience, and accumulating money and other "treasure" along the way.

This thread, however, isn't strictly limited to just those games (though it is the main focus), but, rather, an appreciation for RPGs in general, and our original characters we use in them.

And, yes, that picture does have a perfect "game" feel to it. I could easily see that as a D&D or Vampire the Masquerade character.

Post edited by Tramp Graphics on
    edited December 1969

I'm familiar with Dungeons and Dragons on several levels. At one time I had all the disks, as in those big floppies. I gave them away without knowing their value about five years ago. I am also familiar with online versions and movies made that have a connection to it. I also know about Vampire the Masquerade. A friend knew I was watching a tv series called Kindred the Embraced, based on that game and told me how the game and series got started. I really liked the series. My son played Yugioh and watched the series. Friends and my sons were collecting the Magic cards. I think that is the extent of my knowledge of the paper rpg. I've never played these games myself, but as I said, I love the art.

edited December 1969

I'm familiar with Dungeons and Dragons on several levels. At one time I had all the disks, as in those big floppies. I gave them away without knowing their value about five years ago. I am also familiar with online versions and movies made that have a connection to it. I also know about Vampire the Masquerade. A friend knew I was watching a tv series called Kindred the Embraced, based on that game and told me how the game and series got started. I really liked the series. My son played Yugioh and watched the series. Friends and my sons were collecting the Magic cards. I think that is the extent of my knowledge of the paper rpg. I've never played these games myself, but as I said, I love the art.
    Yeah, Yugioh is a CCG (Collectable Card Game), not an RPG (Role-Playing Game), I've never seen D&D on floppy disk. The original games came in boxed sets with actual books, not floppies. This is still true (though not in boxed sets so much anymore). The only "versions" that were on disk were for playing the early computer RPGs based upon the various D&D settings.
    edited December 1969

Sorry I stated that incorrectly. When it was made for the computer it came out on those big floppies, back in the day when you used a 486 computer...lol I should have been more clear, but yes a computer version.

edited January 2014

My latest, a commission for a friend; I'm trying to raise the $50 to renew my PoserWorld subscription and get the DVDs, so I did this for $25.. Still need to do another before Tuesday..

...looks like my tank of a Dwarf Street Sammy.

Big Axe, Big Gun Ready for that Friday Night Firefight

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

And another commission; a good friend in Germany likes to run his Beyond the Supernatural RPG in historical settings. In this case, he chose 1932 San Fransisco, hence this image. I used AlienSkin filters to give it that old-photo look.

GumshoeAltAutochromeDS.jpg
    1159 x 1500 - 419K
    edited December 1969

He liked the first one so much he commissioned three more; here are the first two, Gangster Lonnie and Fat Larry..

BigFatLarryACds.jpg
    1174 x 1500 - 336K
    GgGangsterFixACShow.jpg
    1500 x 1125 - 452K
    edited February 2014

The last one in the run, H.G. Wyndingham, and all four in Sepia.

GumshoeAltDSSepia.jpg
    1159 x 1500 - 376K
    GgGangsterfixSepia.jpg
    1500 x 1125 - 470K
    HGWFinalSmallSepia.jpg
    1174 x 1500 - 405K
    BigFatLarryDSSepia.jpg
    1174 x 1500 - 429K
    HGWFinalSmallAC.jpg
    1174 x 1500 - 471K
    Post edited by MADMANMIKE on
    edited December 1969

My group of friends start a classic 1st edition Dungeons & Dragons game, so I've started doing the character portraits.

My character is Faron The Green, an elf wizard, then there's the Thief of the group, an Elf named Asrai, and one of the fighters, a human named Arak Silvertip.

ArakSilvertipBaseDS.jpg
    1174 x 1500 - 384K
    AsariThiefDS.jpg
    1174 x 1500 - 438K
    FaronTheGreenAltDS.jpg
    1174 x 1500 - 410K
    edited December 1969

Back to the game tonight, and I've finished the groups portraits..

Garh the Dwarf Fighter, his brother Zarvall the Cleric, Nicholai the Fighter, and The Red Mage. And then finally a group shot.

GroupShotDS.jpg
    1500 x 964 - 546K
    RedMageDS.jpg
    1174 x 1500 - 339K
    NicholaiDS.jpg
    1174 x 1500 - 384K
    ZarvallDwarfClericDS.jpg
    1174 x 1500 - 461K
    GarhtheDwarfDS.jpg
    1174 x 1500 - 397K
    edited December 1969

And since ink is expensive, I've done them all in black and white using Adam Wright's ToonActions[/ur].

ZarvallDwarfClericBWDS.jpg
    978 x 1250 - 506K
    GarhtheDwarfBWDS.jpg
    978 x 1250 - 547K
    FaronTheGreenBWDS.jpg
    978 x 1250 - 566K
    AsraiThiefBWDS.jpg
    978 x 1250 - 484K
    ArakSilvertipBWDS.jpg
    978 x 1250 - 453K
    edited December 1969

And the last..

GroupShotBWDS.jpg
    1250 x 804 - 560K
    RedMageBWDS.jpg
    978 x 1250 - 527K
    NicholaiBWDS.jpg
    978 x 1250 - 452K
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

My Art Studio thread now has the first and part of the second chapters of the Jaderail story in it. Jaderail was my AD&D character for some 12 years of play (that was playing almost every weekend for the full 48 hrs). There is lots of story and stories to go. But I'm at the mercy of my health and weather right now so the project has slowed until I'm better. Here is one of my renders... The full link is in my Sig.

The-Talk.png
    1366 x 768 - 1M