The I’ve Seen Fire and I’ve Seen Snow and Now I Want Cocoa Complaint Thread

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...was trying to come up with a pic but just drawing a huge blank right now.

Anyways...

Happy 50th trip around the local G2 type stellar primary..

G2F or G2M?
    G2K it's still a young one in the main sequence.

• M F MM F M Posts: 1,388
    edited February 2014

Happy (probably late) birthday Misty (^_^)/...

... btw that thing in Windoze about copy vs move? ... assuming you don't use the right-button as Dana suggested, or the Ctrl-key (to toggle between moving and copying), I believe you'll find that dragging a file/files/folders around on the SAME drive/volume/partition will MOVE it, but dragging a file to a DIFFERENT drive/volume/partition will COPY it, by default.

Post edited by M F M on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Happy (late) Birthday Misty. But at my age I'm happy to see any day so...

edited December 1969

...well, nearing midnight here.

Not a very productive day today. Still getting over the chill after being caught in all the cold rain and wind the other day. Left arm & elbow still aches badly, wonder if all the wet, cold, and dampness may have aggravated something. That was the same arm I hurt when I was slammed into a railing on a bridge after getting clipped by another (very careless fast riding) cyclist several years ago.

Stuff like that just doesn't go away as I still ache from time to time where I cracked several ribs in that same incident.

Ah well, some Advil and a good night's sleep should help.

...just saw that someone in Northern California hit the 425$ million Powerball on Wednesday.

....maybe I'll win the Megabucks this Caturday.

Gotta have something positive happnen soon.

Nite all...

smiley-sleep018.gif
    45 x 30 - 7K
  • ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited December 1969

Crashed out in a comfy chair before and was dreaming I'd been complaining for the past few days, what a nightmare. Oh, wait I was complaining for the last few days :lol: There was a forum crash?

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,690
    edited December 1969

I am so sleepy lately. Well today I am out and about and there might be a storm this afternoon. I forgot my umbrella at home.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

M F M said:

... btw that thing in Windoze about copy vs move? ... assuming you don't use the right-button as Dana suggested, or the Ctrl-key (to toggle between moving and copying), I believe you'll find that dragging a file/files/folders around on the SAME drive/volume/partition will MOVE it, but dragging a file to a DIFFERENT drive/volume/partition will COPY it, by default.

ahhhh you've unraveled one of the deep mysteries :)

edited December 1969

thank you'z all for the bday wishes :)

had 3 hours sleep last night, all DS fault. i want to be good at it, but quickly. Liam Neeson voice, "quickly there's no time"

edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    Crashed out in a comfy chair before and was dreaming I'd been complaining for the past few days, what a nightmare. Oh, wait I was complaining for the last few days :lol: There was a forum crash?

did you buy your new dungarees?

the jeans round here are made for people with no butts. lol. refrigerator repair man syndrome, ala Dan Akroyd, tee hee

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,690
    edited December 1969

I am so sleepy. I want to go home and sleep till tomorrow morning, but that won't happen. I would want to try to finish sewing my bag I started yesterday or do some DS project. but I do not want to sew while sleepy because I broke a needle last night because I was sleepy and tried to rush my self.

edited December 1969

it's funny how we're all feeling extra sleepy. maybe it's the season changing, or the polar vortex, or the aztec calendar?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

it's funny how we're all feeling extra sleepy. maybe it's the season changing, or the polar vortex, or the aztec calendar?

I think the polar vortex is making us think we should be hibernating.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Except in the UK where we are all busy growing fins and web feet, especially those poor people who live in the West Country.

Cornish_Footwear.jpg
    631 x 471 - 39K
  • starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited February 2014

I found some jobs in Madison, Wisconsin. I wouldn't mind moving to the badger state but the weather is cold. I saw that the wind chill is 8 degrees F today. Wow. It is nice to see some high-tech and IT related jobs in Madison. I found some IT related jobs for a dairy company too. I learned that the dairy and cheese processing centers use custom software to run the factory. I'm not sure exactly what kind of software they need, but the job description sounds interesting. I must have experience in IT and a degree in agriculture to apply for that job. lol

Post edited by starionwolf on
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

Except in the UK where we are all busy growing fins and web feet, especially those poor people who live in the West Country.
    ~ROFLMAO~ Thanks for the chuckle Cho. I needed it today. :coolsmirk:
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    edited December 1969

My nose is alternating between stuffing up and the other thing.
    Not again... :sick:

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

tjohn said:

Does it feel like this is coming out?

edited December 1969

I found some jobs in Madison, Wisconsin. I wouldn't mind moving to the badger state but the weather is cold. I saw that the wind chill is 8 degrees F today. Wow. It is nice to see some high-tech and IT related jobs in Madison. I found some IT related jobs for a dairy company too. I learned that the dairy and cheese processing centers use custom software to run the factory. I'm not sure exactly what kind of software they need, but the job description sounds interesting. I must have experience in IT and a degree in agriculture to apply for that job. lol

...between the two largest cities in the state, Madison is the better choice.

Milwaukee, having been a manufacturing town throughout its history never really recovered from the industrial collapse of the of the 70s/80s (much like what happened to Portland where I now live after the timber industry went belly up).

Besides being the state capitol, Madison is home to the largest University in the state system which is renowned for both medical, agricultural, and engineering research. The current state administration aside. the city is also a haven for progressive thought. True, winters can be tough to handle at times, but spring summer and fall are not bad. The city itself is built around two lakes which offer opportunities for recreation during the summer months and some lovely views. Because of the University's presence in the city, Madison is fairly cosmopolitan for a city of it's size (about half the population of Milwaukee), and I feel often rivals it's larger sister 70 miles to the east.

One advantage of the winters is that the lakes freeze completely over to the point you can safely walk or ski across them for several months. Did that a lot when I was living there as I was on the north side and it saved a lot of time going around.

Madison also has an excellent transit system and were one of the first US cities to actually have dedicated transit and bike lanes (back in the 1970s). Getting to and from there is not very difficult. There is some air service (mostly commuter flights to places like Chicago or Minneapolis) though Milwaukee still tends to be the major airport for the region. Badger bus offers a very frequent schedule between Madison and Milwaukee (90 minutes each way) with direct service to Milwaukee's airport.

So if you can hack the winters (not as bad as Northern Wisconsin where I lived for a while) it actually is a very lovely place and the cost of living is probably lower than where you are.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    edited December 1969

M F M said:

Yes. Since drives weren't mentioned, I thought it was on one drive.

Dana

edited February 2014

I saw some apartments for $850 USD. That is not a bad price considering they are about three miles from downtown Madison and near some shopping centers. I'm actually tempted to take the bus between Milwaukee and Madison to see the countryside and farms.

If I go to Madison for an interview, I will need to switch planes in Detroit. I rather take the plane instead of a 20 hour train ride. lol

Edit: The Amtrak train runs between Chicago and Washington, D.C. I'll need to take the bus from Madison Chicago. I think the bus trip to Chicago is about two and a half hours.

ok, I'm going back to job hunting online because it is raining outside.

edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    tjohn said:

Worse...

edited February 2014

The length of bus trip between Madison and Chicago is three and a half hours. I did not realize that Madison is so far Chicago. Maps can be deceiving sometimes. The bus ticket only cost $25. I might take that bus trip once for fun.

edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    Skiriki said:
    tjohn said:

Worse...

This, then?

edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    tjohn said:
    Skiriki said:
    tjohn said:

Worse...

This, then?
    More like this.

edited December 1969

tjohn said:

Oh yeah! I had one of those burst out of my nose couple of years ago! Really unpleasant, blech!

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,370
    edited December 1969

A spider meatball. What are they gonna come up with next.

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    A spider meatball. What are they gonna come up with next.

Web spaghetti? :)
    edited December 1969

I saw some apartments for $850 USD. That is not a bad price considering they are about three miles from downtown Madison and near some shopping centers. I'm actually tempted to take the bus between Milwaukee and Madison to see the countryside and farms.

If I go to Madison for an interview, I will need to switch planes in Detroit. I rather take the plane instead of a 20 hour train ride. lol

Edit: The Amtrak train runs between Chicago and Washington, D.C. I'll need to take the bus from Madison Chicago. I think the bus trip to Chicago is about two and a half hours.

ok, I'm going back to job hunting online because it is raining outside.

...from Milwaukee it's only 90 minutes to Madison so taking the train there might be a better idea. Badger bus goes right to the UW campus. According to the Amtrak schedule, the bus trip from Chicago to Madison is over three hours thirty minutes.

Depending on how far in advance you book, the "Value" train fare Between DC and Milwaukee can be the same as DC to Chicago. On the Capitol Limited (4:30PM departure) that would put you in Milwaukee at shortly before noon. From there Badger Bus would have you at the UW campus at 2:40 PM.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,370
    edited February 2014

How did the job fair go or is that this weekend?

Post edited by frank0314 on
    edited December 1969

...kind of a bust for a lot of companies were "no shows". As I mentioned in another post was really disappointed as jobs are tough enough to find but when companies decide to simply flake out on us like this it sends a pretty bad message. The organisers still got paid for the booth space which most likely the firms who didn't show will simply write off on their taxes. If they were honestly committed to getting people back to work, they would have shown up.

Getting there was definitely not "half the fun" either with our transit system that loves to change things without telling anyone, as well as incredibly foul weather that left me soaked to the bone through my heavy jacket and several layers of clothing underneath. Still chilled from the experience. Blistered my feet walking for blocks and blocks in the bucketing, wind driven rain because of the routing change.

Well have to head out to find a pay phone (a rare sight these days with the advent of cell and smartphones) to make a few calls. Will be back later.

This discussion has been closed.