What features would you like to see appear in dazstudio 5?

Comments

• Wildcard search. When I am looking for anything like grass, bucket, whatever if I do not put the full name of the item it does not find it. With a wildcard search I can find all grass objects the right click and open the product to use the grass or whatever else might interest me

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
    edited March 2020

...a Vray plugin for Daz would be nice as it also supports OpenCL.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Wildcard search. When I am looking for anything like grass, bucket, whatever if I do not put the full name of the item it does not find it. With a wildcard search I can find all grass objects the right click and open the product to use the grass or whatever else might interest me

In which pane?

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,300

It would be nice if Daz asked if you wanted to save renders in open render windows before closing like it asks if you want to save your active scene.

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,088
    Sevrin said:

It would be nice if Daz asked if you wanted to save renders in open render windows before closing like it asks if you want to save your active scene.

+1 Absolutely.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    Sevrin said:

Don't forget "File>Save Last Render" works whether or not you've closed the render window. The "last render" image file is stored in the D|S temp folder, so it's there until the next time you close the program.

(FWIW, I don't use the Render Library — I just never figured out why DAZ thought it necessary.)

• AsariAsari Posts: 703
    edited March 2020
    Sevrin said:
    Asari said:
    Paid Vray addon, make users pay for it who want it. Doesn't Blender also have Vray but you have to pay for it? Of course the DAZ demographic is completely different than the Blender demographic. And of course, unless DAZ ports their current Iray materials to Vray materials ... an expensive Vray addon wouldn't garner too much attention. Material conversion from Iray to other render engines aren't self-explanatory, doubt it would be any different with Vray.

Daz doesn't make the materials.  The PAs make the materials.

Almost all creations for DAZ use the Iray Uber base - isn't that DAZ's adaptation of Nvidia's material for DAZ Studio?

Of course regardless how another render engine is implemented it's up to the PAs to support it. If no PAs support it, it won't result in a financial success for neither DAZ nor Chaos group.

Post edited by Asari on
  • Eden EvergreenEden Evergreen Posts: 326
    edited April 2020

Sorry, I haven't time to read 86 pages. So apologies if someone else already made a similar suggestion ...

I appreciate that DAZ has added a "refresh" option to the content list (right-click menu) in recent versions. It can be very helpful, for example when one updates a .png icon for a product image.

Is it possible to add an equivalent option to the "surfaces" tab?

Sometimes, when tinkering with textures (as in textures I am creating), I edit a .jpg. The edit does not show up in DAZ Studio on command. It will eventually update, but that may take more than 10 minutes or else require saving the scene, closing DAZ, reopening, and reloading the scene. Easiest work-around I've found is to make a separate .jpg to display the edits. If there was a "refresh" or "update" or "re-read" type of option there in the Surface tab area, it would really streamline my workflow.

DAZ used to check for .jpg-provided texture updates fairly often. Somewhere along the line, that stopped happening. I can understand how that function would not apply to most users. It doesn't even apply to me in every scene - only when I'm trying to edit or create textures. I can imagine how constant checking could, potentially, slow things down if it happened automatically on a regular basis (every 15 seconds or so). Although I miss it, when trying to create or edit a texture, I understand why it may have been wiser to change or remove the nearly constant checks for more recent "update" times on .jpg's used in a scene.

Since one edited .jpg would only need a single item or material zone "refreshed," it would be helpful if a manual option could be added to surfaces. Please?

Thank you for your time, and I hope you have a DAZ-tastic day!  smiley

Post edited by Eden Evergreen on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,300

In the surfaces tab, click on the arrow and lines and under that is a refresh images 

• ParadigmParadigm Posts: 421

It would be nice to see an automated batch render mode for scenes too big for VRAM. Currently the process is to render parts and stich them together. It would be awesome to see that handled by the renderer if it fails to fit the scene in the GPU. 

Sorry, I haven't time to read 86 pages. So apologies if someone else already made a similar suggestion ...

I appreciate that DAZ has added a "refresh" option to the content list (right-click menu) in recent versions. It can be very helpful, for example when one updates a .png icon for a product image.

Sometimes, when tinkering with textures (as in textures I am creating), I edit a .jpg. The edit does not show up in DAZ Studio on command. It will eventually update, but that may take more than 10 minutes or else require saving the scene, closing DAZ, reopening, and reloading the scene. Easiest work-around I've found is to make a separate .jpg to display the edits. If there was a "refresh" or "update" or "re-read" type of option there in the Surface tab area, it would really streamline my workflow.

DAZ used to check for .jpg-provided texture updates fairly often. Somewhere along the line, that stopped happening. I can understand how that function would not apply to most users. It doesn't even apply to me in every scene - only when I'm trying to edit or create textures. I can imagine how constant checking could, potentially, slow things down if it happened automatically on a regular basis (every 15 seconds or so). Although I miss it, when trying to create or edit a texture, I understand why it may have been wiser to change or remove the nearly constant checks for more recent "update" times on .jpg's used in a scene.

Since one edited .jpg would only need a single item or material zone "refreshed," it would be helpful if a manual option could be added to surfaces. Please?

You can remove the texture by selecting "None" and then add it back.  That will  update the scene.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,300
    Sevrin said:

You can remove the texture by selecting "None" and then add it back.  That will  update the scene.

There's a refresh command just look for it.

• jpetersen1jpetersen1 Posts: 148
    edited April 2020

1. It's extremely difficult to find specific assets (and compatible assets) if you have a large asset base. It's very difficult to find a prop amid a forest of mats (and irrelevant search hits). ANYTHING to improve search or prioritize Content Search to alleviate this incredible mess and loss of time would be appreciated.

2. DS to Carrara bridge.

3. It would help if DS-to-Hexagon bridge kept the subgroup hierarchy instead of merging subgroups all into one group.

4. There are sometimes black rings in Actors' eyes. Maybe the geometry is breaking up? One user suggested expanding the eye moisture and this seems to help quite a bit (although it's not a perfect workaround, there are sometimes still small black splots, like tar). This problem needs to be addressed.

5. Why are there so few shadows on the sclera? The rendered eyes look like headlights. They never quite look natural because of the lack of shadows under the eyelashes and in the corners. Some artists are getting around this by manually adding shadows to the alternate eye materials, but this is a workaround, not a solution. Ideally, it shouldn't be done in Photoshop, it should be done with the raytracing engine as part of the rendering process. Can this characteristic be improved? It's one of the significant ways in which you can tell it's a rendered character rather than a photo of a real person even if the rest of the face comes out photoreal.

6. Some merchants are providing innovative ways to add sweat and droplets (this is much appreciated), but it's not only humans who have moisture on them, a wet dog or fish out of water also has it, and many of the moisture assets are specifically for humans or are intended for other purposes (like the water in fountains). It seems that some general-purpose way of adding a moist sheen to any object would be a good addition to DS.

7. It would help if the Geometry Editor Tools Pane had a way retain the Scene settings when the Scene is closed and opened again. Right now it loses the settings for visible and hidden geometry selections sets and you have to laboriously go through the selection sets and remember to turn them off again every time you reload a closed Scene.

8. Every other software program I've used, when you single-click something you select it, when you double-click you get options or you can rename it. With the DS Scene Pane, a single click (which normally one would expect to select the asset) activates the "change name" option, which is incredibly annoying because then it doesn't want to go away again. Could this be standardized to work more intuitively (and like other software)? Changing the name usually only happens once (or not at all), whereas selecting the item happens dozens of times. From a logical point of view, the single click should be reserved for the action that is done more frequently.

9. Compared to other software I've used the Pan and Zoom features in the Viewport are really awkward to use. Drag, reposition cursor drag, reposition cursor, drag, reposition cursor, drag, reposition cursor, drag (still not big or small enough and there aren't enough objects in the scene yet to select one and use it for a zoom-to-item as a workaround), drag, reposition cursor, drag, reposition cursor... Getting around in the Viewport is painful in DS compared to my other software. Can these be improved?

Post edited by jpetersen1 on
  • 1. It's extremely difficult to find specific assets (and compatible assets) if you have a large asset base. It's very difficult to find a prop amid a forest of mats (and irrelevant search hits). ANYTHING to improve search or prioritize Content Search to alleviate this incredible mess and loss of time would be appreciated.

Are you uisng Smart Content, with Filter By Selection checked? Of coruse that won't help with things that lack metadata, but any such system will depend on metadata or a fucntional equivalent.

2. DS to Carrara bridge.

3. It would help if DS-to-Hexagon bridge kept the subgroup hierarchy instead of merging subgroups all into one group.

4. There are sometimes black rings in Actors' eyes. Maybe the geometry is breaking up? One user suggested expanding the eye moisture and this seems to help quite a bit (although it's not a perfect workaround, there are sometimes still small black splots, like tar). This problem needs to be addressed.

This can be an issue when using Genesis 3 maps on Genesis 8.

5. Why are there so few shadows on the sclera? The rendered eyes look like headlights. They never quite look natural because of the lack of shadows under the eyelashes and in the corners. Some artists are getting around this by manually adding shadows to the alternate eye materials, but this is a workaround, not a solution. Ideally, it shouldn't be done in Photoshop, it should be done with the raytracing engine as part of the rendering process. Can this characteristic be improved? It's one of the significant ways in which you can tell it's a rendered character rather than a photo of a real person even if the rest of the face comes out photoreal.

This sounds like a content request.

6. Some merchants are providing innovative ways to add sweat and droplets (this is much appreciated), but it's not only humans who have moisture on them, a wet dog or fish out of water also has it, and many of the moisture assets are specifically for humans or are intended for other purposes (like the water in fountains). It seems that some general-purpose way of adding a moist sheen to any object would be a good addition to DS.

Again, content not application.

7. It would help if the Geometry Editor Tools Pane had a way retain the Scene settings when the Scene is closed and opened again. Right now it loses the settings for visible and hidden geometry selections sets and you have to laboriously go through the selection sets and remember to turn them off again every time you reload a closed Scene.

If you want to make a part of the mesh hidable then one option is to create a new group, then add a bone to the figure and make that bone's selection group the newly created group - then you can hide it like any other node, and the state will persist.

8. Every other software program I've used, when you single-click something you select it, when you double-click you get options or you can rename it. With the DS Scene Pane, a single click (which normally one would expect to select the asset) activates the "change name" option, which is incredibly annoying because then it doesn't want to go away again. Could this be standardized to work more intuitively (and like other software)? Changing the name usually only happens once (or not at all), whereas selecting the item happens dozens of times. From a logical point of view, the single click should be reserved for the action that is done more frequently.

In my experience a single click selects an unselected item, a single click on a selected item then enable the label edit. This is common - try it with a file in a browser window.

9. Compared to other software I've used the Pan and Zoom features in the Viewport are really awkward to use. Drag, reposition cursor drag, reposition cursor, drag, reposition cursor, drag, reposition cursor, drag (still not big or small enough and there aren't enough objects in the scene yet to select one and use it for a zoom-to-item as a workaround), drag, reposition cursor, drag, reposition cursor... Getting around in the Viewport is painful in DS compared to my other software. Can these be improved?

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,749
    Asari said:
    Sevrin said:
    Asari said:
    Paid Vray addon, make users pay for it who want it. Doesn't Blender also have Vray but you have to pay for it? Of course the DAZ demographic is completely different than the Blender demographic. And of course, unless DAZ ports their current Iray materials to Vray materials ... an expensive Vray addon wouldn't garner too much attention. Material conversion from Iray to other render engines aren't self-explanatory, doubt it would be any different with Vray.

Almost all creations for DAZ use the Iray Uber base - isn't that DAZ's adaptation of Nvidia's material for DAZ Studio?

Of course regardless how another render engine is implemented it's up to the PAs to support it. If no PAs support it, it won't result in a financial success for neither DAZ nor Chaos group.

What exactly is it that people believe they Will get from Vray that they are not getting from Iray.... For STILLS.
    edited April 2020
    wolf359 said:
    Asari said:
    Sevrin said:
    Asari said:

What exactly is it that people believe they Will get from Vray that they are not getting from Iray.... For STILLS.

I can imagine 2 things:

1) Proper SSS implementation, like Random Walk. Dunno about Vray, Arnold supports Random Walk. As referenced in another thread there are better SSS implementations than in Iray.

2) Better effects, even in stills: Despite the hard work of talented PAs, I find fire and volumetrics in Iray looks rather bad. Not to forget the way how these are currently achieved in Iray takes A LOT of render power for some subpar results. Just try render KA's Fireworx or any volumetric light solution in Iray and watch the grain disappear ...

Post edited by Asari on

You know one thing I'd like is for Daz to never again allow something like Auto Face Enhancer to make unwanted changes to every scene you create with it installed.  That thing is cancer.

• Sevrin said:

You know one thing I'd like is for Daz to never again allow something like Auto Face Enhancer to make unwanted changes to every scene you create with it installed.  That thing is cancer.

yes

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,757
    wolf359 said:

Anything that brings us closer to photorealism inside DAZStudio is welcome smiley

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,247
    wolf359 said:

Anything that brings us closer to photorealism inside DAZStudio is welcome smiley

yesyesyes

• Sevrin said:

Wait, what? Can you please explain? I was going to snag that product...

• WindamyreWindamyre Posts: 175
    Sevrin said:

Wait, what? Can you please explain? I was going to snag that product...

There were several problems noted with the product at launch, mostly with vasty increased load times as some people reported 10+ minutes to load a base G8F character.  There were also issues with artifacting and odd distortions.  The worst problem was that this affected every file you saved after installing the product, even if you didn't think you were using it.  So, you install the product, open your current project make a change to the wardrobe and save it.  Now AFE is part of it and every time you try to load the project the problem resurfaces even though you never used AFE on the character.

Cleaning up the bad files was a nightmare also, since you had to dig into your /data folder and manually delete the morphs before reinstalling. Not a huge deal, but it's another level of difficulty that some Daz Studio users are not comfortable with. 

To be clear, most of these issues seem to have been resolved.  Head over to the thread here to read up before you spend money.

• Food replicator I get hungry sometimes while working on a project.smiley

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,460

If I had to choose just one feature to add to DAZ Studio, it would be a way to convert the Perspective view to a Camera that shows the same view.

edited April 2020
    NylonGirl said:

If I had to choose just one feature to add to DAZ Studio, it would be a way to convert the Perspective view to a Camera that shows the same view.

You can create a new camera and select duplicate current view if perspective view is active.
    Post edited by Asari on
  • Windamyre said:
    There were several problems noted with the product at launch, mostly with vasty increased load times as some people reported 10+ minutes to load a base G8F character.  There were also issues with artifacting and odd distortions.  The worst problem was that this affected every file you saved after installing the product, even if you didn't think you were using it.  So, you install the product, open your current project make a change to the wardrobe and save it.  Now AFE is part of it and every time you try to load the project the problem resurfaces even though you never used AFE on the character.

Cleaning up the bad files was a nightmare also, since you had to dig into your /data folder and manually delete the morphs before reinstalling. Not a huge deal, but it's another level of difficulty that some Daz Studio users are not comfortable with. 

To be clear, most of these issues seem to have been resolved.  Head over to the thread here to read up before you spend money.

Wow. Thank you.

• aaráribel caađoaaráribel caađo Posts: 682
    edited April 2020

I'd love a camera option that ties f/stop and shutter speed to both the camera setting and the tone-mapping. It would be doubly-excellent if when saving files with Canvases, the tone mapping settings were exported as a curve or LUT that could be used to match the in-camera settings generated by the combined camera/tone-mapping settings. I'd probably pay for a "Camera" that did that and had profiles matching common photography and cinema cameras and lens. 

Expanding on this a bit, the huge win would be if I could take EXF data from an existing photo and plug that into the camera system, so I'm matching the lens, shutter speed and f/stop for plate matching. 

Post edited by aaráribel caađo on
  • WarcatWarcat Posts: 112

A super cool feature would be with the addition of a filter in the smart content.   Right now the option is "Filter by content".

THis is an 'on' or 'off' feature.  There are times that people have fit products such as G3 to G8 but not V4 OR they might want to filter it on something like G8 and G3 but not G2, G1 or M4/V4.

• Features on DS5:

• All issues SOLVED.
    • the rest is a plus.
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517

...still would like it to make the coffee.

Oh, and maybe let us know when the bus is arriving (crikey they have more than enough bus stops) as well as mop and clean the loo (same for those too).