UltraScenery [Commercial]

Comments

• When Tarzan met Jane

A little bit of kitbashing: the leaves on the water are from Stonemason's Fern Lake set, and a Mountainscapes prop behind the trees to fill the gaps. The water uses HowieFarkes's revised Transmitted Color (.22, .22, .21) settings.

Tarzan Meets Jane.png
    1828 x 893 - 3M
  • Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153

Quite nice.  I was going to give the leaves from the Foreground Blends product a go a bit later on today.

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

@DoctorJellybean: That pond looks so much better with the new settings. Did you change "Transmitted Color" directly in DS after running UltraScenery, or did you change it in one of the .json files? I may have missed it but I couldn't find it in any of the .json files.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155

What are the units of measure on the Absorbtion Depth? Centimeters? Meters?

• dawnblade said:

@DoctorJellybean: That pond looks so much better with the new settings. Did you change "Transmitted Color" directly in DS after running UltraScenery, or did you change it in one of the .json files? I may have missed it but I couldn't find it in any of the .json files.

Thanks. I changed it in DS after running UltraScenery. For some reason, the UltraSceneWater node is set to Unselectable in the Scene pane.. One has to click on the Selectable icon to turn it off to be able to select it in the Viewport.

• HowieFarkesHowieFarkes Posts: 584
    barbult said:

What are the units of measure on the Absorbtion Depth? Centimeters? Meters?

Short answer - I'm not really sure but it seems to be in the vicinity of meters. So smaller numbers means the lights penetrates less distance into the water.

The starting point for the water was the one you can find in Shader Presets/Iray/DAZ Uber/Water. I added some noise functions to the bump to give it the ripples and changed some of the SSS settings but otherwise it is pretty much that shader.

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

Added water plants by MartinJFrost using USP.

UltraSceneryTestPondUSP1-2b.jpg
    1166 x 500 - 638K
    MelanieL said:

A question for @HowieFarkes:

I noticed with some of my Bryce-generated terrain maps that the landscape generated seemed "lumpy" in slightly different places to where I was expecting. I discovered that the heightmap seems to get modified by the Noise settings, rather than being applied exactly.

Is this expected behaviour or an oversight?

I've attached an example using a manually created geometric heightmap map (I removed the grass, etc for clarity) to generated a landscape which acquires wavy edges in the process.  My solution is to set Brightness to -100 in the Noise tab (which then applies what seems to be a plain black square), although there is still a tiny bit of wave-iness along one side.

ETA: I set Max Altitude to 10 to make the difference more obvious.

Yes right now the way to remove the noise influence on the terrain is to turn the brightness down to -100.

Now that I'm aware of how the noise and height map work together, I think I like that. I can create a height map and use the noise settings to vary it a little.

• QuasarQuasar Posts: 574
    edited March 2020

Here's my first UltraSenery render. I used V3Digitimes Buildings and Skyscrapers Generator for the background.

Post edited by Quasar on
  • GoggerGogger Posts: 2,308
    edited April 2020

Whilst out Creek-Stomping, don't forget to look down!

I'm also rendering a scene with the water Y scale raised to 200% and it makes a GREAT underwater scene with grassy plants.  Throw some fish, a turtle, or whatever in there and WOW!  I need to recreate a scene with a stream bed and just grass - trees and bushes kinda ruin the underwater biosphere effect, but still, pretty amazing work, Howie. 

DS_DeskToppers_Creek_3D_Erik_Pedersen.jpg
    3440 x 1440 - 1M
    Post edited by Gogger on
  • DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621
    barbult said:

@Barbult, may I ask where you got the gazebo from?  I have been looking all over for something similar.

Daventaki said:
    barbult said:

@Barbult, may I ask where you got the gazebo from?  I have been looking all over for something similar.

It is a $1.99 PC+ product https://www.daz3d.com/pier-view.

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

Thank you!!

• creed2003creed2003 Posts: 63

My first image. Need to add some additional animals and tweak it a little before I post. Would like to add an additional wolf but not sure if LAMH will allow two wolves in the same image with different fur color. 

Wolf2.jpg
    1500 x 1000 - 436K

AM does have a vid for doing just that. There's a renaming process I believe. 

• EggwhiteEggwhite Posts: 23

I am very interested in this product. How heavy does this set, say combined with ultra scatter, run on a system?

only have Harpsburg for daz from this vendor and that loads slow but renders in minutes.

i use Hemslock folly, believe that uses ultra scatter to handle all the greeneries. combined with one G3 and DAz horse 2 sets my card to just under 10gb load.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301
    edited April 2020

Is there any chance, that in some future expansion we might be able to draw in a path, say a path around the pond, for instance?

Post edited by Sevrin on
  • Would love to be able to choose multiple features and have influence on where they go. A road/path next to a pond or river would be grand. I'm not sure if that would be possible, though. 

I suspect that's more or less the direction Howie is headed.  Link to external sources such as XFrog and the like would be wonderful. I for one need some West Coast foliage options. Library of terrain features, etc. shouldnt be much of a challenge.

I've got to say though, this is absolutely the most stable & robust 1.x of anything I've ever seen. And as you might have guessed, I do go back a ways.  As in, I got to see the beta of Photoshop being used in production!

barbult said:

Does the Absorbtion Depth control work? I can't see that it does anything. Min and max settings give me results that look the same.

Unfortunately in later versions of Iray/Studio it does indeed seem to not do anything. Have been trying to find out why but it seems to be a difference in how shaders work in later versions of Iray.

** Update **

Looks like the "Scattering Color" of the water shader is the culprit. Set it to (22, 22, 21) and things should look more like they should. I think the way "Scattering Color" interacted with things has been changed at some point - it used to only need very light colors to have the desired effect but now it uses more intuitive colors.

Is this recommendation for the water Transmitted Color 22,22,21 in the "Select Color" 0-255 range, i.e. 0.0046, 0.0046, 0.0041 in the "Float Color" range? I saw someone else quote this as 0.22, 0.22, 0.21, so I wasn't sure of your recommendation.

• barbult said:
    barbult said:

Does the Absorbtion Depth control work? I can't see that it does anything. Min and max settings give me results that look the same.

Unfortunately in later versions of Iray/Studio it does indeed seem to not do anything. Have been trying to find out why but it seems to be a difference in how shaders work in later versions of Iray.

** Update **

Looks like the "Scattering Color" of the water shader is the culprit. Set it to (22, 22, 21) and things should look more like they should. I think the way "Scattering Color" interacted with things has been changed at some point - it used to only need very light colors to have the desired effect but now it uses more intuitive colors.

Is this recommendation for the water Transmitted Color 22,22,21 in the "Select Color" 0-255 range, i.e. 0.0046, 0.0046, 0.0041 in the "Float Color" range? I saw someone else quote this as 0.22, 0.22, 0.21, so I wasn't sure of your recommendation.

It is .22, .22, .21 in Transmitted Color. As one can't enter 22, 22, 21, I suspect that HowieFarkes left out the . in front of the numbers.

TransmittedColor.jpg
    471 x 251 - 30K
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

** Update **

It is .22, .22, .21 in Transmitted Color. As one can't enter 22, 22, 21, I suspect that HowieFarkes left out the . in front of the numbers.

The Surfaces pane always displays the float values, but you can choose to enter the 0-255 range RGB values by NOT holding the Ctrl key when you click the color value for the Transmitted Color. That brings up the normal Select Color color picker. So, I am asking HowieFarkes whether he is refering to the Select Color 0-255 values or the Float 0-1 values (with missing decimal points as you assumed).

• Apologies. When I saw his post, I just assumed that he meant .22 .22 .21. There is a difference (water is darker) when using the numbers as RGB values.

edited April 2020
    creed2003 said:

Yes I meant 0.22, 0.22, 0.21

Basically open up the color and adjust using HSB and set the B (brightness channel) to 50%

Post edited by HowieFarkes on
    creed2003 said:

Yes I meant 0.22, 0.22, 0.21

Basically open up the color and adjust using HSB and set the B (brightness channel) to 50%

Thanks for clearing that up.

One little thing that is frustrating me is that if I uncheck all the layers in the Build tab (because I only want to quickly build the terrain to see if I am happy with it), the next time I run UltraScenery script on the same scenery, instead of remembering that I unchecked all of the layers, it CHECKS all of the layers. Then I have to go through and uncheck each one again. It correctly remembers if I have only some layers checked, so why doesn't it remember that I have none of the layers checked? Could this be improved in a future update, so it remembers about no layers being checked?

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    barbult said:

One little thing that is frustrating me is that if I uncheck all the layers in the Build tab (because I only want to quickly build the terrain to see if I am happy with it), the next time I run UltraScenery script on the same scenery, instead of remembering that I unchecked all of the layers, it CHECKS all of the layers. Then I have to go through and uncheck each one again. It correctly remembers if I have only some layers checked, so why doesn't it remember that I have none of the layers checked? Could this be improved in a future update, so it remembers about no layers being checked?

Or at least have a quick and easy way to check/uncheck all…

• 41cessna41cessna Posts: 22

I can see this becoming a stand alone program.

WallPaper_02.png
    2560 x 1440 - 7M
  • SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

I started a thread in The Commons about HDRIs, and here's an example of my first try making one with an Ultrascenery set.  It's not great.  I just wanted something that would generate fairly quickly with a few trees.

This discussion has been closed.