Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 12

Comments

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,247

She actually sat there and watched almost all of the movie

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,684

My flatmate's old cat, loved the cartoon of Felix the Cat. Would just sit on his bed, and stare for as long as it was on. He would put it on a loop for Jake.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Oh, here we go- maybe. The Florida Agricultural Commissioner has requested a "reasonable shelter in place- mandatory" for Florida. The governor is mulling that over now. We're the third largest state so if we do that, then perhaps we can help get this nipped in the bud a bit more. The bird store started doing drive up and we'll take it to your car as of last week. People are stepping up to protect their employees, and it's nice to see. I had gotten extra bird food two weeks ago, just common sense. I can eat PB&J, my birds can't. :) 

Interesting. I'm working on all my Rendo stuff and installing, categorizing. If you rename the product (in Content Library) AFTER you have put it in a category, it appears to break the filepath for the categorized one. It changes to all !  for the images. I was adding REN after the products, but forgot on two. When I added REN at the end, bamm, it messed them up down in Categories. So if you ever find ! for images, ask yourself if you changed a name up in the Daz Studio Formats. 

Was that in the new Content Wizard or in Content Package Assist? Content Wizard will remember the full name Renderosity after the first time you use it, and other stores from what I understand.

Content Package Assist

Then good to know, I have some files loaded with CPA, but I am trying to switch to CW. 

edited March 2020

Laurissa  (G8F)  (elsewhere)        dForce Chiffon Crop Dress (G8F)           Bonnie Hair (G8F) 

I didn't have great luck with the Chiffon Crop Dress top. The material underneat the chiffon for the top came through, and there weren't morphs for the outfit to fix it. And to make it even more questionable, I had greatly reduced the breasts so imagine how bad it would have been if I hadn't. I'm not good at dforcing so just used the basic setting, and still had pokethrough. Didn't care enough to do Mesh Grabber or anything else, I just fixed in postwork. You may or may not experience trouble, and if you do dForce, you'll probably have better luck than I did. 

Laurissa COMPOSITE SIG.png
    825 x 1000 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
  • cismiccismic Posts: 629
    Novica said:

Novica said:

Laurissa  (G8F)  (elsewhere)        dForce Chiffon Crop Dress (G8F)           Bonnie Hair (G8F) 

I didn't have great luck with the Chiffon Crop Dress top. The material underneat the chiffon for the top came through, and there weren't morphs for the outfit to fix it. And to make it even more questionable, I had greatly reduced the breasts so imagine how bad it would have been if I hadn't. I'm not good at dforcing so just used the basic setting, and still had pokethrough. Didn't care enough to do Mesh Grabber or anything else, I just fixed in postwork. You may or may not experience trouble, and if you do dForce, you'll probably have better luck than I did. 

That still is a great render!  I have several images with that but, can't find so I'll post this one. I used default dforce without issue while using the outfit. I like how you can quickly apply shaders for different effects as well. I did this image 10/28/2018.

Wonderlust.jpg
    4800 x 6240 - 4M

I have used the outfit, can't remember if I had issues or not. Will test it out today. But I have found that many that have that floating, delicate over-top can give you fits. (I also seem to try them in the late day when I am most tired and in no mood for fiddly things!) 

Thanks for the link to the hair. I didn't have it and it is on sale at 40% right now. And with my extra discounts in the March Madness sale, goes to 55%. A Kool hair is always a great investment.

Laurissa is a nice looking character. 

Mary

• NathNath Posts: 2,713

I ran a few tests with the Chiffon Crop Top dress. No problems that weren't fixable with the adjustment morphs under Actor. Character is Latonya, with no changes to her chest.

test 1.jpg
    352 x 893 - 44K
    test 2.jpg
    1052 x 893 - 351K

When I had my character busty, there weren't any issues. Can you try reducing hers and see if there is any pokethrough? You don't have to render it, just do a quickie test?  @nath

edited March 2020

EJ Juncal Fantasy Pack (G8F)      bBlythe Hair (G8F)        Basketball Dress (G8F) 

I have to be honest, although I own a lot of EmmaAndJordi's gals, I was never overly fond of the mouths. The pucker on the edges just didn't appeal to me,  and the slight stiffness in posing compared to some of my other gals. Juncal doesn't have that problem, she is very fluid and expressions are included to give you a great start! 

I rendered this last night, and it's funny Kool hair was mentioned. I really like that vendor's hair, this is another one. I curled the ends (like a Bob style) but otherwise it's out of the box. What's with the double B in the name? 

Basketball dress can be used as a top if you are only using the top part. Why it comes with a basketball is beyond me, but it's a free prop and parents to the hand. Like a girl is going to run down the sidewalk in a dress, dribbling a ball?  You really should get the textures, they change it totally away from a basketball theme.

Coming up- a Dive Into That Gene Pool!  Don't tune in to the COVID-19, tune in to your shaping pane. We're going to have a mix-it-up good time! 

Juncal Composite2.png
    1100 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
  • NathNath Posts: 2,713

First new try got weird results because I set the breast reduction (using https://www.daz3d.com/breast-control-genesis-8-female-s) in the final frame rather than in the first frame of the animation, so she started out with her original figure, and ended up with the smaller chest, so the drape of the top got very baggy (but no pokethrough).

Second try with the smaller breasts from the start, no pokethrough either.

screenshot test.jpg
    918 x 705 - 238K
    edited March 2020

Dive Into That Gene Pool!  

Here's how it works. Pick your base character and try (note the word try) to keep him or her at 50%. Sometimes you'll have to go more, if the second character added makes it too much of a distortion. The next post down, I'll tell you the easy way to do this.

You want to get some of the body, I am doing busts. My focus is the face. TIP: Allow room for the character to increase and decrease in size, so don't get TOO close up. There are a lot of varying heights.

Three Options:

FIRST DO A RENDER IN THAT POSE THAT IS 100% YOUR BASE CHARACTER SO WE CAN SEE WHAT THE OTHER MORPHS ARE / ARE NOT DOING.

Option A:  Using ONE other character, add up to 50%.  So you have 50% base character, 50% second character. If that second character distorts too much, increase your base character.
    Option B:  Use three characters. Your base character 50%, your second and third characters 25% each.
    Option C:  Use three characters. Your base character must be at least 25%. The other two can be whatever you want them to be as long as the total for all three is 100%. 

When you do your renders, please identify what you did as the title and put the characters. Let's be consistent, and this also eliminates a lot of typing.  :)   Examples:

Option A     Cindy 50 / Sue 50.   (The base character will always be the first amount.)  Or Option B   Cindy 50  / Tammy 25 /   Kelly 25     
    Option C   Cindy 25 /  Tobie whatever percent  / Barbara whatever percent to total 100%

Please do links when you list the character. That way folks can easily see if they own that character and they can wishlist if they want to add it to the gene pool. You don't have to put long titles, just the character name and generation, and only link the base character the first time. (You don't have to do it every time if the renders are in the same post.)

Post edited by Novica on
    edited March 2020

Here's an easy way to participate.

First go to Window>Panes(Tabs)>Shaping. Open it and drag/attach it to wherever your other tabs are hanging out. (So technical, aren't I?)  
    Load up your base/main character. I stuck with Juncal as my base. Select her/him in Scene. 

Go to Shaping Pane. At the top of it, click Currently Used, and you'll see your character (say Juncal) at 100%. For this party, don't mess with the head and the body separately, always just do the character overall at the percentage you want to use.

Now, back at the top and to the left of the sliders, you'll see your character listed, and also things like Actor, Head, Face, Eyes, Nose, etc.  CLICK ON ACTOR TO GET THE DROPDOWNS.
    Go to PEOPLE. 
     Ah, that's where they all hang out!  Then it's easy. Simply select the character you want, and either slide the slider or click on the number and type in the percentage. There you go.

When done rendering, merely click on Currently Used again and scroll to the top of the slider section. Simply reset that second character (NOT the head, NOT the body, go to the slider that just lists the character)  to zero and you're ready to start again! 

Post edited by Novica on
    edited March 2020

Here's EJ Juncal  100%:

Option A    EJ Juncal (G8F)  50% /  Circe (G8F) 50%    BELOW

Option A   EJ Juncal (G8F)  50% /  Pandoriah For Zelara 8  50%    BELOW

Option A   EJ Juncal (G8F)  50% /  Rosabell  (G8F)   50%  BELOW

Option A   EJ Juncal (G8F)  50%  / Cinder For Kanade 8  50%  (THIS ONE WILL SURPRISE YOU)  BELOW

Option A   EJ Juncal (G8F)  50%  /  Grace Yong (G8F)  50%

Option A   EJ Juncal (G8F)  50%  / Lainey (V8)  50%   BELOW

Option A   EJ Juncal (G8F)  50%  /  Leenda (G3F / G8F) 50%               BELOW

Option A   EJ Juncal (G8F)  65%  /  Betty (G8F)  35%   Due to distortion, Betty could not be rendered up to 50%. 

Observations: (some of the ones I instantly noticed.)
    Circe is a must have in the gene pool
    Pandoriah will give thicker noses, bigger eyes, and a stocky component.
    Rosabell not overly noticeable. The lips barely changed at all from Juncal. 

I also didn't see a huge difference with Lainey and Leenda between those two, Lainey had more of a bulb nose lips less plump with more outer curve. Leenda has less nose wings.

Betty in doses of 35% or less will add a cartoon element / comedic aspect
    Grace Yong gives a higher forehead, flattens the nose more, a smaller mouth.

Juncal 50 Circe 50.png
    1100 x 1200 - 1M
    Juncal 50 Pandoriah 50.png
    1100 x 1200 - 1M
    Juncal 50 Rosabell 50.png
    1100 x 1200 - 1M
    Juncal 50 Cinder 50.png
    1100 x 1200 - 1M
    Juncal 50 Grace Yong 50.png
    1100 x 1200 - 1M
    Juncal 50 Lainey 50.png
    1100 x 1200 - 1M
    Juncal 100.png
    1100 x 1200 - 1M
    Juncal 50 Leenda 50.png
    1100 x 1200 - 1M
    Juncal 65 Betty 35.png
    1100 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited March 2020

I am late on the test of the dForce Chiffon Crop Outfit. I put it on https://www.daz3d.com/ej-wild-deluxe-pack-for-genesis-8-female and https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-soft-curls-for-genesis-8-and-genesis-3-females. I used shaders to play with the outfit a bit, and the top layer shows like black lace on my screen, not quite what came out in the render. I made no adjustments to the figure nor the outfit for fitting, and just went into simulation. I do admit I didn't try to push the limits. 

I liked working with the character, who has a number of skin tones, I chose the darkest for a suntan version. EmmaAndJordi did a great job on her.

I am interested in your idea Novica but tomorrow. I am tired. My neck muscles are sore from my fall.

Mary

EJ Wild Soft Curls Shiffon Crop.png
    800 x 1294 - 573K
    Post edited by memcneil70 on

@memcneil70  Oh no, you fell????  Take it easy!  heart

edited March 2020

Yeah, ice and feet, bad combo. Back, head, shoulders took a hit in that order. Yesterday my neck muscles got into the act for pain. Of course emergency medical services are reserved for serious need. I will get past this.

Now on to the challenge. I am not sure why the ladies cooperated better than the guys. For every two lady's renders, I was lucky if I got one guy's render. So still working on them. 

I took the recent  CB Giulia and used Sprite's Variable Hair and the Naiomi Dress

CB Giulia HD 100%

CB Giulia HD and Alexandra 8 both at 50%

CB Giulia HD and Edie 8 both at 50%

CB Giulia HD and BJ's Young Lyra both at 50%

CB Giulia HD and Saiyaness' Uchenna both at 50%

CB Giulia HD and Lihua for Mrs Chow both at 50%

CB Giulia HD 100 percent.png
    1200 x 1440 - 1M
    CB Giulia HD and Alexandra 8 both 50 percent.png
    1200 x 1440 - 1M
    CB Giulia HD and Edie 8 both 50 percent.png
    1200 x 1440 - 1M
    CB Giulia HD and BJ Young Lyra both 50 percent.png
    1200 x 1440 - 1M
    CB Giulia HD and Uchenna both 50 percent.png
    1200 x 1440 - 1M
    CB Giulia HD and Lihua for Mrs Chow 8 both 50 percent.png
    1200 x 1440 - 1M
    edited March 2020

I found that Edie softened her face really nice; Young Lyra as you might expect made a young teen; Lihua aged her but also gave her some Asian touches in the eyes; Alexandra and Uchenna both made noticeable changes in the noses. I found every shape shifted the jaw a bit, and the smile opened up or closed a tad, but all kept theirs.

Variable Hair, this one has a bun, and some other morphs, but I kept to the longer ponytail and over the shoulder. And considering moms at home this month, I thought it was an appropriate hairstyle keeping up with the kids or younger siblings. I love Giulia's skin. Deliberately didn't use makeup as I didn't want to restrict myself to only adults.

I love the dress, it is simple, professional, casual, or can be dressed up. Very versatile. 

Mary

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,040

Yeah, ice and feet, bad combo. Back, head, shoulders took a hit in that order. Yesterday my neck muscles got into the act for pain. Of course emergency medical services are reserved for serious need. I will get past this.

I would get it checked out fast. It happened to a friend of mine who walked about for weeks complaining of a sore neck. He eventually went to his doctor who sent him for an x-ray. He had a broken neck and the consultant told him he was lucky he wasn't paralyzed from the neck down. The slightest jerk, or even stopping suddenly in his car, could have paralyzed him. He had to wear a support collar for two years. He had to have it checked every month and when they did they had to immobilize his head to remove and replace the collar as the slightest movement would have left him paralyzed. Fortunately he has had the collar removed and is fine now. Like you all he did was slide on ice and land on his back.

I called my clinic, spoke with a nurse and we decided if I don't improve or I start having more issues by Wednesday, to call them back for a TeleHealth consult. She did give me advice what to watch for and adjusted my meds temporaily, and things I can do for myself at home. And working on DS is right up the alley of quiet things.

Thanks

Mary

@memcneil  Those are neat combinations, I love Edie's input!  I could really see the Alexandra influence with the strength of the jawline, and I like the youthfulness of Young Lyra, turns her into a younger sister. (Not sure what age I would guess her to be though.)  Uchenna was neat for the nose, as expected. Isn't this fun? smiley

So hopefully you know flash sales are going on  (I just got back from going all the way over to Gulf Breeze and taking my bird to the vet to have his beak trimmed.)  Here's one of the sales-

Shopping Cart

Grand Total $14.21

75%

Subtotal $56.85
    Discount -$42.64
    Estimated Tax $0.00

edited March 2020

Here's the other flash sale.  Let me just say I looked at the Embrace Poses and became a fan. Really complicated poses, every attention to detail. And FINALLY poses that show true gravity. The man carrying the woman in his arms has great placement and seems to exert the right amount of muscle to hold/carry her. So I looked at the other poses and the price was right :)  They are really good starting poses and there's a nice variety. Take a peek!  (This is a copy paste so these do NOT open in a new window. Right click to do that.) 

Message-Shirt-Magic Bundle for Genesis 8 Female(s)

Grand Total $36.54

70%

Subtotal $121.80
    Discount -$85.26
    Estimated Tax $0.00

Post edited by Novica on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050
    Novica said:

Here's the other flash sale.  Let me just say I looked at the Embrace Poses and became a fan. Really complicated poses, every attention to detail. And FINALLY poses that show true gravity. The man carrying the woman in his arms has great placement and seems to exert the right amount of muscle to hold/carry her. So I looked at the other poses and the price was right :)  They are really good starting poses and there's a nice variety. Take a peek!  (This is a copy paste so these do NOT open in a new window. Right click to do that.) 

Message-Shirt-Magic Bundle for Genesis 8 Female(s)

Grand Total $36.54

70%

Subtotal $121.80
    Discount -$85.26
    Estimated Tax $0.00

I have two (and now three, with this sale) pose products by Those Things. They are great! Have you seen the commercial threads about some of the pose products? Mary and I and others have been posting images we created with the poses. Now that you have some of the poses, you can join in. Do you have the seated poses? They are some of the best, and the commercial thread even tells what props were used in the seated promo images.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/379546/released-50-advanced-seated-poses-commercial/p1

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/302906/released-fashion-editorial-poses-and-expressions-for-genesis-8-females-commercial/p1

edited March 2020

I own all of those. Whine.

On to the guys. My first three renders were deleted, and redone. I used RY Spencer as my base male and he comes mixed with Michael 8. So I have renders with Michael and without him. He is dressed in the Soldat Outfit and mix & matching the textures. I went through two other hairs before settling on Spiky Hair.

RY Spencer for Michael 8 

RY Spencer without Michael 8 dialed in.

RY Spencer 50% with Dolb 20% and Finn 40%.

RY Spencer 50% with Ceejay 50%

RY Spencer 50% with Darsel 50%

RY Spencer 50% with Maxx 20% (Math doesn't add up!)

Spencer comes with a scruff built into the skin, so that limits his use for young teens, but for small adult males, his skin is useful for them and others. I did have a bit of a fight with hair pieced and the area above his eyebrows. Those black specs showed up no matter what. So you have to be careful with your hair.

Maxx, if I had brought him up to 50%, would have shown you his chest, really up close and personal.

Spencer does blend with others pretty nicely. 

RY Spencer for Michael 8 100 pct.png
    1200 x 1440 - 1M
    RY Spencer wo Michael 8 100 pct.png
    1200 x 1440 - 1M
    RY Spencer 50 pct Dolb 20 pct Finn 40 pct.png
    1200 x 1440 - 1M
    RY Spencer 50 pct Ceejay 50 pct.png
    1200 x 1440 - 1009K
    RY Spencer 50 pct Darsel 50 pct.png
    1200 x 1440 - 1M
    RY Spencer 50 pct Maxx 20 pct.png
    1200 x 1440 - 2M
    edited March 2020

I tracked down the BodySuit XFashion in materials as it is a geo shell. Since I will never remember that, I added my own category to it in Smart Content, Wardrobe/Full-Body. I put it on G8F and added LY Tarian Pants, JooJoo Sneakers and raided Diego's closet for the jacket from Pop Star Outfit. The hair is Bonnie Hair that Novica highlighted above. The BodySuit is a great addition to any wardrobe.

G8F in BodySuit XFashion Tarian Pants JooJoo Sneakers Pop Star Jacket.png
    600 x 971 - 368K

I have had the seated poses wishlisted for awhile  :)  
    I'm busy at the moment doing character combinations but perhaps in the future will take a look at poses. yes

This discussion has been closed.