What features would you like to see appear in dazstudio 5?

Comments

• ParadigmParadigm Posts: 421
    Paradigm said:
    Paradigm said:
    Luciel said:
    Mouser said:

Network rendering, if Poser can do it why not DS.

This is already doable (in "beta" form) in the current release. It's under "advanced" then "bridge" in the render settings pane.

To go beyond this, it would be nice to also be able to use multiple different cards while simultaneously not being restricted by the smallest VRAM. I don't mean memory pooling, but idk... some sort of intellgent shared work.

It would be nice to be able to use my old 780 to boost the speed even just a little rather than having it just collect dust.

You are not restricted by the smallest RAM now - this is a myth that refuses to die, but it is a myth. If you have two cards with different capacities then Iray can, if necessary, drop the smaller and continue to run the render on the larger.

I may be misunderstanding, but that does sound like we're restricted by the smallest RAM? If the scene is too big the smaller card won't be used and only the bigger one will... Which is exactly what I'm hoping changes.

Well, it read as if you thought that the render would rop to CPU as soon as any GPU ran out of memory - which isn't true. I'm not entirely clear what you do mean, but if I'm along the right lines I don't think it would be possible.

You interpreted it in a way that you could say that DAZ does it, you mean :)

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514

...Blender has adopted a more user friendly HI with ver. 2.8. 

• alex86firealex86fire Posts: 1,130
    Asari said:
    nicstt said:
    Diomede said:

I would like version 5 to include all the tools available for PAs.

I would like about 20 more canvasses.  See Carrara's list of multipasses for specifics

I would also like many of the plugins to be incorporated as regular features.  Some of these include

- Ultrascatter Pro

- all plugins that add functionality or convenience to the geometry editor

How much are you prepared to pay for PA only features?

I think this is a good question for many users. It's not that many users wouldn't pay anything at all. I think the true question is how much compared to other software packages and/or solutions that can do the same what the PA tools can do.

I don't know of all PA-only tools, let's take dynamic stuff. (Fotmer dynamic clothing pre-dforce wasnt a PA-tool, was it?) Dforce hair. You can get these features with other packages, and these other packages offer a lot more than what the PA-only tool offers. So if DAZ offered the dforce hair tool for money, it depends how much customers would pay for it compared to other solutions that allows them to do roughly the same. That depends on so many parameters. What kind of DAZ Studio users would be interested in such a tool and how many of them are there. How much are those willing to spend. What does the competition offer. How many copies does DAZ have to sell. And so on.

And of course, there is Blender which is free and you can do a lot in Blender what you can't do in DAZ. If a user is comfortable with using Blender I can imagine that this user would not bother with PA-only tools if these come with a heavy price-tag.

Something that you couldn't do, with any software no matter how competent you are is make HD morphs.

Unfortunately only PAs get access to the subD mesh that allows you to do that.

That mesh would also allow artists that create characters that resembles celebrities to create better likenesses.

• AsariAsari Posts: 703
    edited February 2020
    Asari said:
    nicstt said:
    Diomede said:

I would like about 20 more canvasses.  See Carrara's list of multipasses for specifics

I would also like many of the plugins to be incorporated as regular features.  Some of these include

- Ultrascatter Pro

I think this is a good question for many users. It's not that many users wouldn't pay anything at all. I think the true question is how much compared to other software packages and/or solutions that can do the same what the PA tools can do.

I don't know of all PA-only tools, let's take dynamic stuff. (Fotmer dynamic clothing pre-dforce wasnt a PA-tool, was it?) Dforce hair. You can get these features with other packages, and these other packages offer a lot more than what the PA-only tool offers. So if DAZ offered the dforce hair tool for money, it depends how much customers would pay for it compared to other solutions that allows them to do roughly the same. That depends on so many parameters. What kind of DAZ Studio users would be interested in such a tool and how many of them are there. How much are those willing to spend. What does the competition offer. How many copies does DAZ have to sell. And so on.

And of course, there is Blender which is free and you can do a lot in Blender what you can't do in DAZ. If a user is comfortable with using Blender I can imagine that this user would not bother with PA-only tools if these come with a heavy price-tag.

Something that you couldn't do, with any software no matter how competent you are is make HD morphs.

That mesh would also allow artists that create characters that resembles celebrities to create better likenesses.

True. You will never be able to do anything of that in Studio and I didn't mean to imply this. You can create dynamic hair outside of DAZ and either use it there where you created it and together with your DAZ assets, or you could re-import the mesh and use the mesh in DAZ. None of it is the same as having dforce strand based hair in Studio.

I agree with you it's probably not the same with HD morphs. You can export Genesis mesh, subdivide and sculpt. You won't be able to re-import your sculpt to DAZ and set it up as an HD morph. That's only for PAs. But the pricing argument stands nonetheless. Since PA-tools are pro-tools I see no reason why DAZ wouldn't charge them as such if they make these available to everyone for sale. That's in the original range of 300-500 USD. How many non-content creators would buy it? Some users will do, no doubt. Would it be profitable for DAZ? Depends, probably.

I don't sculpt myself for figures so I wouldn't buy an HD tool whatever the price. I do create my own clothing and am passionate about it. If dforce clothing were PA-only I wouldn't bother with it because I have other solutions. I was very passionate about dforce hair and strand based hair but now I moved on and if DAZ made dforce hair available for 250 USD I wouldn't bother. Not sure how others feel but I don't perceive a huge interest in dforce hair compared to transmapped ones judging by the bestseller status if the store. It may be very different for HD tools.

Post edited by Asari on
    Asari said:
    Asari said:
    nicstt said:
    Diomede said:

- Ultrascatter Pro

True. You will never be able to do anything of that in Studio and I didn't mean to imply this. You can create dynamic hair outside of DAZ and either use it there where you created it and together with your DAZ assets, or you could re-import the mesh and use the mesh in DAZ. None of it is the same as having dforce strand based hair in Studio.

I agree with you it's probably not the same with HD morphs. You can export Genesis mesh, subdivide and sculpt. You won't be able to re-import your sculpt to DAZ and set it up as an HD morph. That's only for PAs. But the pricing argument stands nonetheless. Since PA-tools are pro-tools I see no reason why DAZ wouldn't charge them as such if they make these available to everyone for sale. That's in the original range of 300-500 USD. How many non-content creators would buy it? Some users will do, no doubt. Would it be profitable for DAZ? Depends, probably.

I don't sculpt myself for figures so I wouldn't buy an HD tool whatever the price. I do create my own clothing and am passionate about it. If dforce clothing were PA-only I wouldn't bother with it because I have other solutions. I was very passionate about dforce hair and strand based hair but now I moved on and if DAZ made dforce hair available for 250 USD I wouldn't bother. Not sure how others feel but I don't perceive a huge interest in dforce hair compared to transmapped ones judging by the bestseller status if the store. It may be very different for HD tools.

I think Daz would loose in the wrong run if they did this. also the PAs that sell HD stuff.

Daz store being the only ones that sells HD stuff is a major thing. If other content creators could sell that on other stores I think Daz would loose more than they would make from that one sell of a license for that tool.

I also think that PAs are not allowed to use it for content created for other sites because I know there are PAs that also sell on other stores but I have not heard of HD stuff anywhere else.

• AsariAsari Posts: 703
    edited February 2020
    Asari said:
    Asari said:
    nicstt said:
    Diomede said:

- Ultrascatter Pro

I think Daz would loose in the wrong run if they did this. also the PAs that sell HD stuff.

Daz store being the only ones that sells HD stuff is a major thing. If other content creators could sell that on other stores I think Daz would loose more than they would make from that one sell of a license for that tool.

I also think that PAs are not allowed to use it for content created for other sites because I know there are PAs that also sell on other stores but I have not heard of HD stuff anywhere else.

From a business perspective this makes totally sense for DAZ, since they do not make any income with the software and base versions of the genesis figures themselves. I imagine most customers of DAZ want everything to stay within DAZ and not bother with export and import w Workflows.

I have to admit, for a long time I was quite frustrated with this. I needed a long time to understand the reasoning but finally it makes sense to me. It changed my way how I want to progress with 3D though, what I'm currently learning, what I want to learn in the future, and for what I will spend money.

Post edited by Asari on
  • HellboyHellboy Posts: 1,437

I would like to color tag/mark scene items like Photoshop layers. Sometimes I need to keep turning off/on visibility of certain items and it's a bit of a pain to search them in the scene list.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

An emulation for Studio 4.12, 4.13, 4.14... etc whenever it appears; so those plugins etc that stop working can still be used.

... Or still access to Studio 4... for those that forget to take about a 875 backups

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,693

Two really simple things:

Not have the curser disappear randomly when you accidentally click the mouse in some way that causes that.

Not have the camera jump when you are typing in a search item in parameters (or other searches)

Other things I will think of later but theses are two things that drive me crazy disrupting work flow and seem like glitches that could be easily repaired.

I just thought of a new feature that would be awesome in Daz 5.

Easier navigation in the viewport.

The current navigation is very slow going. If we had something like what Blender or other modeling programs have, navigating a scene would be a lot easier and a lot less time consuming.

• I just thought of a new feature that would be awesome in Daz 5.

The current navigation is very slow going. If we had something like what Blender or other modeling programs have, navigating a scene would be a lot easier and a lot less time consuming.

For those of us confined to outer darkness, how do they work?

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,363

i cant even use 4 yet. 5 not even in my mind

• mr clammr clam Posts: 707

Lights on (control l) should be the viewport's default. 

In Blender for example, if you click the middle mouse button you can rotate the viewport against center. Scroll still zooms in/out. Shift + middle mouse button pans the view in the direction you move the mouse in.

Basically you can use middle mouse button to navigate instead of going to the controls on the right side. That allows you to be in the scene while navigating and doesn't take your focus out of there.

• I just thought of a new feature that would be awesome in Daz 5.

In Blender for example, if you click the middle mouse button you can rotate the viewport against center. Scroll still zooms in/out. Shift + middle mouse button pans the view in the direction you move the mouse in.

Basically you can use middle mouse button to navigate instead of going to the controls on the right side. That allows you to be in the scene while navigating and doesn't take your focus out of there.

DS already allows the use of mouse+modifiers in the Viewport to navigate - I've chnaged mine from the default, go to Window>Workspace>Customise and look at the bottom of the dialogue to see the options and their current modifiers (and also for other tools). You can doble-click and then press modofiers and click a button tio assign a new combination.

• mr clam said:

Lights on (control l) should be the viewport's default. 

If you mean Preview Lights, it is on by default - switching it off replaces the preview of the scene lights with a "headlamp".

DS already allows the use of mouse+modifiers in the Viewport to navigate - I've chnaged mine from the default, go to Window>Workspace>Customise and look at the bottom of the dialogue to see the options and their current modifiers (and also for other tools). You can doble-click and then press modofiers and click a button tio assign a new combination.

Wow!

I can't believe I've been using and struggling in Daz for 3 months now when I could have used this.

Thanks!!!

This is awesome!

• MendomanMendoman Posts: 400

I hope that Daz would let us use subdivided mesh when painting weight maps for push modifier weight nodes. I mean, we can already use subdivided mesh, but we can only paint base level vertices, so hopefully they could change that.

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,088
    Hellboy said:

I would like to color tag/mark scene items like Photoshop layers. Sometimes I need to keep turning off/on visibility of certain items and it's a bit of a pain to search them in the scene list.

+1

• One of my aggravations is that, wrt zooming in and out on an object in Viewport using the mouse scrollwheel, Daz Studio does it exactly the opposite direction in for out from what I'm used to in Second Life, and after I've been hip deep in DS for awhile, zooming in and out, and then go back to SL and start zooming camera distance in and out, I now find myself zooming OUT when I meant to zoom in or zooming IN when I meant to zoom out... and I have to stop and retrain myself again to the SL zooming way again.  Same if I come back to DS after being in SL for a awhile.  There needs to be a way to invert the zoom-in-and-out directions in Daz Studio.  Or is there already a feature like this in there somewhere?

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,300

One of my aggravations is that, wrt zooming in and out on an object in Viewport using the mouse scrollwheel, Daz Studio does it exactly the opposite direction in for out from what I'm used to in Second Life, and after I've been hip deep in DS for awhile, zooming in and out, and then go back to SL and start zooming camera distance in and out, I now find myself zooming OUT when I meant to zoom in or zooming IN when I meant to zoom out... and I have to stop and retrain myself again to the SL zooming way again.  Same if I come back to DS after being in SL for a awhile.  There needs to be a way to invert the zoom-in-and-out directions in Daz Studio.  Or is there already a feature like this in there somewhere?

I'm pretty sure that no one at Daz is going to lift a finger to make life easier for Second Lifers.

• Realistic cameras. Allowing the exposure of the camera (ISO, shutter speed, f stop) to affect the exposure of the scene and not having to go to the tone map to achieve this. Also, adding a lens element feature where you can select the number of glass elements in your lens. If implemented correctly, this could affect bokeh, lens flares and slight distortion. 

And since I'm dreaming, how about a light meter that works like a real-world meter. You could creat a light meter node, then in the Light tab (where emissive objects would also be) there would be a readout of the current exposure, preferably using the exposure triangle.

And of course, the ability to turn all these features off for those who do not want their cameras working in a real-world manner.

• mr clammr clam Posts: 707

@NomadGo to Window>Workspace > Cutomize and at the very bottom of the pane you should see a box called 'Invert Mouse Wheel'. Put a tick in it, and that should be all you need.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

Realistic cameras. Allowing the exposure of the camera (ISO, shutter speed, f stop) to affect the exposure of the scene and not having to go to the tone map to achieve this. Also, adding a lens element feature where you can select the number of glass elements in your lens. If implemented correctly, this could affect bokeh, lens flares and slight distortion. 

And since I'm dreaming, how about a light meter that works like a real-world meter. You could creat a light meter node, then in the Light tab (where emissive objects would also be) there would be a readout of the current exposure, preferably using the exposure triangle.

And of course, the ability to turn all these features off for those who do not want their cameras working in a real-world manner.

That's what I want. Like a Sony or Panasonic Prosumer Digital Camera that pretty much make it impossible to make a bad picture. There are picture icons for all the filters, action / scene stills, and so on. A sports scene with and without blur. A nighttime nature scenery icon. A nighttime city icon. A panoramic icon. A 360 degree icon. And so on. Pixel resolution. Even a video camera icon where you navigate the viewport while DAZ Studio records your meandering in 1st person viewport or 3rd person viewport or via setting up a dolly rail.

• mr clam said:

@NomadGo to Window>Workspace > Cutomize and at the very bottom of the pane you should see a box called 'Invert Mouse Wheel'. Put a tick in it, and that should be all you need.

Fraid I don't see a Customize option there.  Did you mean in one of the other menus?

DS Window Workspace Whut -- 20200306.png
    485 x 275 - 19K
    mr clam said:

Fraid I don't see a Customize option there.  Did you mean in one of the other menus?

Although I see it says Daz 4.12 at the top, I am wondering what version you have. This is how it looks for me:

Customize.PNG
    771 x 640 - 61K
  • nomad-ads_8ecd56922enomad-ads_8ecd56922e Posts: 1,867
    edited March 2020
    mr clam said:

Although I see it says Daz 4.12 at the top, I am wondering what version you have. This is how it looks for me:

Two or three years ago when I started learning DS, I switched the theme to Highway because a book I was taking DS lessons from used it, stating that it was less cluttered than the then default theme.  I never switched it back.  Irony is, I didn't get that far through the book, because I wound up learning by doing instead, but did sometimes poke around in the book looking for other useful info at the time.

Anyway, I'm guessing there's another way to get at that mouse settings panel.

[Edit] [Looks at the screengrab again] [Notices the F3 next to the item on the dropdown...]  Ah, there it is. :D

DS -- Invert mouse wheel -- 20200306.png
    610 x 640 - 37K
    Post edited by nomad-ads_8ecd56922e on
  • mr clam said:

Window>Workspace>Update and Merge Menus - a couple of recent releases have recommended running that command as new features are added.

• -Proper FBX import, so we don't have to do wonky magic to import anims

-secondary character load won't destroy the previous one (G3 female for example, load any character, and load second and your first one is like from night of a living dead, unless you say save pose before loading the next).

-Frame based texture animations

-Frame based texture changes

• Flortale said:

The ability to make our own HD morphs. DAZ can't possibly think they can do everything.  For example, there isn't a proper HD Vein morph for Genesis 8.  The existing vasulcarity solutions have no geren translucuency map to make the veins green, and the veins don't follow proper human physiology. 

Green? You have green veins?