What features would you like to see appear in dazstudio 5?

Comments

• Havos said:
    I don't see why the script could not still be run in the main thread, like they are now. I am not asking that the script is doing its operations alongside the rest of Studio, it would be dormant when not in use. It would just be nice to keep a script open, and then return to it when you want to use it to do its stuff. What is required, as Richard pointed out, is that the script would need to check what has happened to the scene since it was last run, which they do not need to do at present. Maybe the script needs something like a refresh button you can press on returning to it.

The problem is not only that things might have changed since the last time the script ran, but also that they might be changing *while* the script is running. The fact that you can see Daz applying smoothing modifiers and whatnot in the background means that there are threads in Daz already. What you are suggesting isn't possible because there would be no way for a script to gain exclusive access to those data structures while it is running and potentially conflicting with the rest of Studio. Their solution, instead of exposing the complexity of the threading model, was to make everything modal.

The fact that there are calls like

node->finalize();

and

node->update();

but not anything like

dzApp->lock(); ... dzApp->unLock();

supports the idea. You don't need a lock if the dialog is modal, you just ned to make sure that everything has settled down before the script starts to modify things because they can't change asynchronously while the script is running.

Believe me, I want this too, I just don't see how Daz could do it without exposing script writers to a LOT more of Daz's internal complexity while the point of a good API is that it doesn't do exactly that. It's probably a sound decision not to, on Daz's part.

• p0rtp0rt Posts: 217
    JOdel said:
    p0rt said:

UV map editor

Uh, yeah. Or *some* way to rotate a UV from horizontal to vertical without having to stop and go into Photoshop. Maybe a way to do 90-degree rotations on texture tiles in the surfaces tab? Mainly useful when applying shaders, but probably not only then.

While we're at it; how's about just enough modeling ability to be able to add an edge loop when in the geometry editor so you can hide and delete part of the original polygons. Admittedly, you can select an edge now, but you can't move it. being able to that would eliminate the need to split the poly's in most cases.

it would be a useful thing and make Daz step up another level to where UV mapping is 80% of the definition of Pro
  • I'd like a way to zoom in and move about the image without moving the camera, as if you had done the render and were now looking at the final image. I use a laptop and often render at 2-3x my screen size, so things can be hard to see when looking through the camera, but shifting to Perrspective view won't keep the same, um, perspective as the render camera. For example, I just did a render where I thought the eyes were pointing a bit above the camera, but when I finished the render, they were pointed at the camera. Being able to zoom and pan around the "camera output" would have been nice.

• FlortaleFlortale Posts: 611

Export high division/resolution/poly characters to Zbrush via GOZ. Currently it only exports the lowest subdivision level. 

I'd like to be able to GOZ the maximum resolution for the character, then add a bunch of detail like musculatures, veins, micro details, etc, 

• artistb3artistb3 Posts: 188

I would have to see 100% forward and backward compatability with DS 4.Last.  Without that, I am not even remotely interested.

• Daz just needs to fix bugs not add features. Ok the features I would like to see is a evee & cycles plugin for daz. Oh, better yet: Make a daz studio for Linux and Opensource the rest.

• Daz just needs to fix bugs not add features. Ok the features I would like to see is a evee & cycles plugin for daz. Oh, better yet: Make a daz studio for Linux and Opensource the rest.

yesyes

• ZateticZatetic Posts: 284
    edited November 2019

The thing that really drives me crazy is finding stuff. I loaded Picasa on my computer just so I could use it to find files.

Post edited by Zatetic on
  • MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,800
    edited November 2019

I'd like a "walk through" navigation for the mouse. Just like in 1. person ego shooters.

Post edited by Masterstroke on
  • Flortale said:

Export high division/resolution/poly characters to Zbrush via GOZ. Currently it only exports the lowest subdivision level.

It already does this - you should be asked if you want to send the mesh across at the current resolution. If not check the setting in Edit>Preferences>Bridge tab. What you cannot do is bring the modified model back as a morph.

Flortale said:

I'd like to be able to GOZ the maximum resolution for the character, then add a bunch of detail like musculatures, veins, micro details, etc, 

As noted above, creating HD morphs is a PA-only feature. You can of course create normal or displacement maps for the details in ZBrush and use those in DS.

• Zatetic said:

The thing that really drives me crazy is finding stuff. I loaded Picasa on my computer just so I could use it to find files.

yes x infinity 

• A good exporter to Cinema 4D (and other 3D programs) like PoserFusion or InterposerPro.

• Put the Carrara render engine in DS.

That would be very convenient.

• Faux2DFaux2D Posts: 452

Rigging:

- A way to fill weight maps based on the selected bones. The feature currently available fills the weight maps of the bones of the entire figure. What I have to do is select the bone, then the geometry, then I have to fill the weightmap, then repeat the whole process for each bone that I need. It would be fantastic if I could just select the bone then hit a button that fills the geometry already assigned to the bone.

- Improved symmetry when rigging. It's easy enough to mirror the weights on for the left and right bones but when it comes to single bones (like Chest, Abdomen, etc), it's incredibly difficult to get a symmetrical map.

OpenGL:

- A way to display polygons as single sided. This is so I can use a Geometry Shell to mimic a comic-book outline.

- Proper shadows in OpenGL + vertex normals control + shadow control (intensity, outline, blur, etc). This is so I can imitate comic-book style shadows properly.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited November 2019

I'd like to see 3Delight upgraded to the latest version (3DL 13) with a new OSL/USD compatible DS default shader. The 12.0.27 build DAZ uses is from 2015frown. Also I'd like DS to fully support USD (Univeral Scene Description), like all the major renderers (Renderman, Arnold, Vray, AMD's Prorender, Redshift, NVDIIA's Omniverse RTX renderer, Octane, Unreal Engine, Unity).

While at it, DAZ could also upgrade Shader Mixer, the bricks need to be reworked for the new format...

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • Copy and paste item settings in the mouse-right-button (context senstitive) menu, as per many other applications, instead of having to go hunting for it up in the edit menu.

• vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297

Some ATI-centric optimizations would be nice, as not everyone uses Nvida.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,252

Or Radeon.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

I'd like to see 3Delight upgraded to the latest version (3DL 13) with a new OSL/USD compatible DS default shader. The 12.0.27 build DAZ uses is from 2015frown. Also I'd like DS to fully support USD (Univeral Scene Description), like all the major renderers (Renderman, Arnold, Vray, AMD's Prorender, Redshift, NVDIIA's Omniverse RTX renderer, Octane, Unreal Engine, Unity).

While at it, DAZ could also upgrade Shader Mixer, the bricks need to be reworked for the new format...

2015?   YIKES!  surprise

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited November 2019

When saving poses it is annoying to constantly uncheck the same things, I would like to be able to create a preference do that those same settings are constantly unchecked.

Also an easier way to disable content saved as poses when it is not or to remove morphs improperly saved by the pa.  For example there have been recently about 6 products with content saved as body morphs or pose sets which were done wrong. It would be great to get rid of that since for example I do not need raw arts orc tusks to load at zero with my figures.  Nor do I need hell ambassadors head morph to be saved with poses. 

Communicating these bugs to tech support is very difficult and they don't get fixed so I end up uninstalling them. I would like a better way to disable morphs which are saved wrong to all my characters using the software since bug reports do not work well and I would like to use my purchases.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • When saving poses it is annoying to constantly uncheck the same things, I would like to be able to create a preference do that those same settings are constantly unchecked.

Have a look at the first few entreis under http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/start#save_filters

Also an easier way to disable content saved as poses when it is not or to remove morphs improperly saved by the pa.  For example there have been recently about 6 products with content saved as body morphs or pose sets which were done wrong. It would be great to get rid of that since for example I do not need raw arts orc tusks to load at zero with my figures.  Nor do I need hell ambassadors head morph to be saved with poses. 

Communicating these bugs to tech support is very difficult and they don't get fixed so I end up uninstalling them. I would like a better way to disable morphs which are saved wrong to all my characters using the software since bug reports do not work well and I would like to use my purchases.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,025

This.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,569
    edited November 2019

...the only question is how will it handle the RSL shaders used in older content?

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

Hi Richard. Your suggestion isnt' clear to me. I looked at the script section, but I'm not sure how it relates to saving poses, with a preset format, so that I don't have  many boxes each time.

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,509

In the main menu, under help, directly below 'About Daz Studio', I would like to see "Revert Daz Version" and a drop down box that lists various older versions one could click to revert back to ... anyone else on board in wanting this?

...I still want it to make my morning coffee. ;-)

• kyoto kid said:

...I still want it to make my morning coffee. ;-)

And wash and clean up afterwards devil

..you betcha.

• +1 or at least a way to redownload older versions if needed (instead of having to save them on my HDD)

ArtAngel said:

In the main menu, under help, directly below 'About Daz Studio', I would like to see "Revert Daz Version" and a drop down box that lists various older versions one could click to revert back to ... anyone else on board in wanting this?

• RobinsonRobinson Posts: 751

Something I would find really useful would be a toggle that allows me to limit by collision.  For example, the finger bends until it intersects another node (including self-intersection - with restitution setting the bend parameter to the touching point), or activepose stops a motion at a collision point.  I expect all of the machinery to do this exists in the underlying engine.