3D Comic Book Tips And Pictures

Comments

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780

Thats great news to see that they are happy with the selection :D I'm glad you get to show off your work!

• Linwelly said:

Thats great news to see that they are happy with the selection :D I'm glad you get to show off your work!

Yeah, I'm pretty excited about it. I'll be teaching a class for Paul at Digital Art Live. The focus is on creating line art with Poser and CSP. I'm still scrambling to pull together enough diverse materials to showcase different approaches in different genres. Even though I've been focusing on Superheroes and Fantasy, I've also got a sci-fi project on the back burner. So I'm going to pull out some of that so I can demonstrate how well Poser can work with robots and space ships.

• mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited January 2020

I'm prepping some materials for my class, so I decided to dust off some OLD figures to show that my render process can actually make good use of legacy content. So, here he is after a long absence, The P4 "Dork," aka the Poser 4 Male. He's got a custom head morph, but other than that, this is mostly off the shelf, so to speak. Is he ready to star in his own comic? I don't think so? But is he ready to stand in the background and help fill up a scene? Yeah, I think that he'd be good at that. 

What do you guys think?

P4 Flying Man (01-31-2020).jpg
    1500 x 1839 - 1M
    Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
  • Faux2DFaux2D Posts: 452

3Delight render in Daz with some post effects

feedback greatly appreciated

RY.jpg
    992 x 1000 - 366K
    edited February 2020

The coloring is very cool. The outlines are, of course, one of the most interesting choices you made. We typically see that kind of harsh, edgy linework on male characters, so its use here creates a nice tension. I'm not in love with the crotch (hah, that sounds nasty, doesn't it?); something about the angle is bringing in a bit more butt cheek than I would expect. I am pretty sure it is physically accurate, just not so sure it's all that attracive. The lines on the body are particularly attractive, particularly under the breasts. It was a wise decision not to go angular on those lines. I also think that the line in the middle of her armpit is unnecessary. Nevertheless, this is a strong piece and it really shows off a strong woman. I do like the focus on the torso, but I kinda wanna see the woman's face. Maybe next time?

All in all, a job well done.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,031

The coloring is very cool. The outlines are, of course, one of the most interesting choices you made. We typically see that kind of harsh, edgy linework on male characters, so its use here creates a nice tension. I'm not in love with the crotch (hah, that sounds nasty, doesn't it?); something about the angle is bringing in a bit more butt cheek than I would expect. I am pretty sure it is physically accurate, just not so sure it's all that attracive. The lines on the body are particularly attractive, particularly under the breasts. It was a wise decision not to go ongular on those lines. I also think that the line in the middle of her armpit is unnecessary. Nevertheless, this is a strong piece and it really shows off a strong woman. I do like the focus on the torso, but I kinda wanna see the woman's face. Maybe next time?

In case you haven't already seen it, there's a thread documenting the process of creating this character.

• Gordig said:

The coloring is very cool. The outlines are, of course, one of the most interesting choices you made. We typically see that kind of harsh, edgy linework on male characters, so its use here creates a nice tension. I'm not in love with the crotch (hah, that sounds nasty, doesn't it?); something about the angle is bringing in a bit more butt cheek than I would expect. I am pretty sure it is physically accurate, just not so sure it's all that attracive. The lines on the body are particularly attractive, particularly under the breasts. It was a wise decision not to go ongular on those lines. I also think that the line in the middle of her armpit is unnecessary. Nevertheless, this is a strong piece and it really shows off a strong woman. I do like the focus on the torso, but I kinda wanna see the woman's face. Maybe next time?

In case you haven't already seen it, there's a thread documenting the process of creating this character.

Thanks. That definitely explains why the musculature seemsso exaggerated (and I don't mean that in a negative way).

• Faux2DFaux2D Posts: 452

Thank you :)

Gordig said:

Thanks for the bump!

edited February 2020

A little more sci-fi for my portfolio. Michael 4 in the "Vampire Ship."  Tossed in a little more color than usual, too.

Vampire Ship Small Blue Cockpit.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 729K
    edited February 2020

Hey there. Don't mean to solicit, but I thought I would mention that before my paid class tomorrow ("Create a Signature Line Art Style with Poser"), there is a FREE 30-minute "Pre-Game Show" wherein I'll be discussing 3D lineart in general and showing off some of the stuff in my portfolio. I'll also be contrasting my Poser process with some of the work I had done with Daz Studio and Strata 3D. Even if Poser isn't your bag, I think the pre-game show might have some info and inspiration that would appeal to most of the people in this group. Free show is at 1:30 pm, Feb. 16, 2020.

https://digitalartlive.com/event/create-a-signature-line-art-style-with-poser/

edited February 2020

Things seem to be very quiet here these days. Sorry about that (on my part).

In addition to speeding up the completion on my fantasy comic (the one with the dead dragon) I am starting on a Space Opera comic. Right now I'm in the concept phase, which means buying a lot of sci-fi props and figures and trying to nail down the design of the main space ship. Right now I've done about 10 designs, fully rendered 4 of them, and these are the top two contenders at this point. 

Ship Needs: 

1. Small craft of about 4-8 crewmen, which includes room for living space, kitchen and cargo space.
    2. Needs to render well in my comic book style, so ships with angles work better than big, smooth hulls.

I have not been able to find a single model out there that suits my needs. The ships are all huge (think Enterprise) or small fighters (think X-Wing). And the few that fall in between just don't work right in my renderin style (usually they are too smooth). So, I am "kit bashing" ships; LITERALLY taking two ships, adjusting the scale and shoving them together. Fortunately, because I work in b&w, matching te textures is very easy.

So far, these are the top two "kit bashed" ships I've come up with. What do you guys think? Do they look interesting? Do they look like a single model, or just two ships shoved together?

HeavyLander + C Hume (02-25-2020).jpg
    1200 x 900 - 653K
    Kitbash 4 (02-28-2020).jpg
    1200 x 800 - 351K
  • Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,755

I think your eye will be fine as far as textures and looking cohesive.

The main hurdle is having a consistent scale/level of detail so that some parts are super greebled out or plated and then there's other sections that are smooth and/or have less features.

Like I said, I think your natural eye will catch that.

As far as being interesting goes, I tend to think of myself as a kid and wonder if I would play with that ship and do space action scenes with it.

Being chased and chasing, going into warp speed, landing on a planet and blowing trees around or kicking up dust as it hovers.

Being hit by a lazer or missile.....

How is it at destroying things?

I also hold up similar shaped objects and look at the ship from different angles.

How does it look going away?

Full side view, etc.....

Long as you end up wanting a toy of it, you'll be fine.

For those interested in a webinar about Gimp I'll drop a link to my thread here: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5418856/#Comment_5418856

So it has become real the first part of my comic Taiduo is finished after working almost three years on it.

In the final episodes I could use the things I learned from @Griffin_Avid about action scenes in the Webinar. so thanks to you, that really helped!

Taiduo is finished after working almost three years on it.

Great, great news. Congratulations.

I'd like to see it fully assembled as one whole experience.

Taiduo is finished after working almost three years on it.

Great, great news. Congratulations.

I'd like to see it fully assembled as one whole experience.

Still thinking if i can pull it into book format somehow, woudl be a ton of work. Well next part will start soon as well

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276

Here are a couple of renders of one of my comic characters. I haven't solidified the spelling of her real name yet, so I'm just labelling her Sketch Girl B for now. :P

Okay Diva, we got something here.

Looks like she's about to start some trouble. lol

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,562

Looks like she got stood up to me, and she's pissed  . . . watch out! lol

Awesome style, Diva. It works well on both the figure and the background (I especially like how the detail is rendered on the trash can with the white). Color palette is fitting, too.

Looking forward to seeing more.

- Greg

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,695

For various reasons, I returned to a very old comic strip I was working on. Some of you old-timers might remember it... At any rate, the bottom two panels were created in the past, whereas the top panel was created this week. I could streamline the architecture more to make it more stark like I did in the third panel, but I'm not sure I want to. To me, I think it still blends together pretty well. I think the various angles do well to service the story, and I like the dialogue (remember, this is set in 1947, so him calling her "a dizzy dame" is perfectly appropriate for that era).

I'm interested in what you all think of it.

I think this looks really cool, especially with the motorcycle coming off the page. The only that bothers me is the font. I think a different font in all caps would look much better...

• For various reasons, I returned to a very old comic strip I was working on. Some of you old-timers might remember it... At any rate, the bottom two panels were created in the past, whereas the top panel was created this week. I could streamline the architecture more to make it more stark like I did in the third panel, but I'm not sure I want to. To me, I think it still blends together pretty well. I think the various angles do well to service the story, and I like the dialogue (remember, this is set in 1947, so him calling her "a dizzy dame" is perfectly appropriate for that era).

I think this looks really cool, especially with the motorcycle coming off the page. The only that bothers me is the font. I think a different font in all caps would look much better...

I'm a big fan of sentence case – and I am seeing it in mainstream comics from DC and Marvel, including Hellcat and Batman's Grave. BUT... you are right. Inasmuch as this story is set in 1947, I do need to change the type to all uppercase in order to be in line with that time period.

And thanks for commenting on the motorcycle effect. I was actually very pleased with the way that came out. It's that middle panel that drives me crazy! One day I like it, the next I don't.

• Here are a couple of renders of one of my comic characters. I haven't solidified the spelling of her real name yet, so I'm just labelling her Sketch Girl B for now. :P

I like your technique and character designs in general. I really like the movement in the hair. The colors are mostly good – I like that the yellow and rose/pink are in the same tone family (in other words, they are both nice pastel versions of those colors and yet they manage to be just "dusty" enough so that they don't look like baby clothes). I also really like that the laces on her shoes match the pink of her jacket. The yellow/pink footwear is a cute touch, and just the sort of thing to make her a little more fashionable yet still remain sporty. In all, But, her tank top has some issues in regards to this being for a character design (as opposed to a real person just walking down the street). Simply put, the color of her shirt is too close to her skin tone. At a glance, or in a long shot, it would be very easy to misread the shirt so that she looks naked under her jacket. And I don't think that's a look you're going for with a character this young. I recommend going gray or white for her shirt. 

As an exercise (if you're so inclined) go look at any movie, tv show or comic book and pay attention to the color of clothing they wear. You will almost never see any clothing worn by someone that could be confused with their skin. Part of character design is to make the outfit visible and reflect/enhance the character's personality. I'd suggest taking a look at a show like Friends or Community, where you have a bunch of characters about the same age, and notice how they dress to reinforce their personalities. For example, you're never going to see uptight Ross in a tight T-shirt (that would be more for Joey). And the one time they did have him dress out of character in leather pants, it was for comic effect. Or note how (especially in early seasons) Chandler was noted for his vests. Little details like that really help define characters.

Anyway, sorry for that last tangent. 

Again, like the direction you're going and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do next.

Okay Diva, we got something here.

Looks like she's about to start some trouble. lol

LOL Thanks! And yeah, she does have a "look" about her. She's a teen so I kind of wanted to have her look like she's got a bit of an attitude. :)

Looks like she got stood up to me, and she's pissed  . . . watch out! lol

Awesome style, Diva. It works well on both the figure and the background (I especially like how the detail is rendered on the trash can with the white). Color palette is fitting, too.

Looking forward to seeing more.

- Greg

hahah I love that interpretation of the images! I was going for her feeling a bit like she's being followed or watched. The stood up angle makes a lot of sense too. :D 

For various reasons, I returned to a very old comic strip I was working on. Some of you old-timers might remember it... At any rate, the bottom two panels were created in the past, whereas the top panel was created this week. I could streamline the architecture more to make it more stark like I did in the third panel, but I'm not sure I want to. To me, I think it still blends together pretty well. I think the various angles do well to service the story, and I like the dialogue (remember, this is set in 1947, so him calling her "a dizzy dame" is perfectly appropriate for that era).

I think the page does look great, I agree with Wonderland on the font. The middle panel to me does look just a tad off, I think. At first glance, the ridder appears (this is just my opinion, so I could be way off) to be female. Perhaps it's the largeness of the tushy and the way the character is sitting looks like the bottom is being pushed out a bit, the way some females are portrayed. I think maybe the bottom's largeness/curviness lends to a bit of a female look. Again, I could be way off though, so take it with a grain of salt. :)

Here are a couple of renders of one of my comic characters. I haven't solidified the spelling of her real name yet, so I'm just labelling her Sketch Girl B for now. :P

I like your technique and character designs in general. I really like the movement in the hair. The colors are mostly good – I like that the yellow and rose/pink are in the same tone family (in other words, they are both nice pastel versions of those colors and yet they manage to be just "dusty" enough so that they don't look like baby clothes). I also really like that the laces on her shoes match the pink of her jacket. The yellow/pink footwear is a cute touch, and just the sort of thing to make her a little more fashionable yet still remain sporty. In all, But, her tank top has some issues in regards to this being for a character design (as opposed to a real person just walking down the street). Simply put, the color of her shirt is too close to her skin tone. At a glance, or in a long shot, it would be very easy to misread the shirt so that she looks naked under her jacket. And I don't think that's a look you're going for with a character this young. I recommend going gray or white for her shirt. 

As an exercise (if you're so inclined) go look at any movie, tv show or comic book and pay attention to the color of clothing they wear. You will almost never see any clothing worn by someone that could be confused with their skin. Part of character design is to make the outfit visible and reflect/enhance the character's personality. I'd suggest taking a look at a show like Friends or Community, where you have a bunch of characters about the same age, and notice how they dress to reinforce their personalities. For example, you're never going to see uptight Ross in a tight T-shirt (that would be more for Joey). And the one time they did have him dress out of character in leather pants, it was for comic effect. Or note how (especially in early seasons) Chandler was noted for his vests. Little details like that really help define characters.

Anyway, sorry for that last tangent. 

Again, like the direction you're going and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do next.

Thank you for the great feedback! :D The design of the outfit though is all Barbara Brundon and Shox-Design, it's their Kawaii Infused Outfit - I just changed up the colors a bit on a couple of areas. You're right on the undershirt. I should probably go more white with it so that there's more contrast between it and her skin. Or maybe I should kit-bash the outfit a little more so that it's not so "out of the box" and a bit more original to the character. 

• edited May 2020

Comic book idea I had. PWtoon plus some Photoshop. 

cover3.jpg
    1475 x 2217 - 4M
    Post edited by Chohole on

I rendered a couple of character sheets for my main character and main antagonist. I think this is a good exercise - to create character sheets for the main characters in a visual story. It serves as a short visual introduction outside of the story and can help keep a more or less consistent look for the characters throughout the story. At least, that's the hope - I have a tendency to keep "tweaking things" and changing things and that keeps me from moving forward. I think solidifying the characters this way can help me be like "ok, this is an established look now, I can stop changing things." Hopefully. lol

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,562

I rendered a couple of character sheets for my main character and main antagonist. I think this is a good exercise - to create character sheets for the main characters in a visual story. It serves as a short visual introduction outside of the story and can help keep a more or less consistent look for the characters throughout the story. At least, that's the hope - I have a tendency to keep "tweaking things" and changing things and that keeps me from moving forward. I think solidifying the characters this way can help me be like "ok, this is an established look now, I can stop changing things." Hopefully. lol

There's a nice continuity in the way the figures were drawn for the 2 sheets, and I like the way the shadows are still rendered soft on the ground. It's nice how you can control the line color (compared to the image you previously posted in this thread). I imagine this will come in handy for separating the figures from the BG.

Looking forward to seeing how they look with some lettering, etc.

- Greg

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,220

They look like interesting characters, it'll be fun to find out about their story and conflict.