DAZ 4.12 repeatedly becoming unresponsive when selecting poses

XanathonXanathon Posts: 86

As of late I am having serious problems with DAZ Studio 4.12. I select an actor (Genesis 8), put wardrobe on it, that just works fine. But if I select the figure and doubleclick a pose for that character DAZ Studio becomes unresponsive. This is reproducibale with multiple characters and poses. ATM DAZ Studio ist basically useless for me and I cannot use assets I bought because of this problem.

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit, i7 with 32 GB ram, 2x GTX 1080TI, DAZ version 4.12.0.86 Pro 64 bit

Post edited by Xanathon on

Comments

• Have you tried the purge memory utility? That should clear out your undo list and free up your system resources. Just search the term "purge" in the smart content tab

• XanathonXanathon Posts: 86
    edited January 2020

I do not think that this is a clipboard, undo or global memory problem, since it happens immediately after starting the computer.

Edit: There is no "purge utility" in the smart content.

• Addition: This seems to be a problem with Gen8. Gen3 works.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

If the character has a wardrobe on post a screen shot of DS being unresponsive. It might be the hair has high polygons, it might be you are using iRay Preview, and it could be other thing. Also what version of 4.12 are you using? I used to have a similar problem with all DAZ model in DS in 4.10 but it mostly went away in 4.11 and 4.12

edited January 2020

dup

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • Xanathon said:

I do not think that this is a clipboard, undo or global memory problem, since it happens immediately after starting the computer.

Edit: There is no "purge utility" in the smart content.

Okay. I can accept that it's not the problem, but there is a purge.

purge.png
    662 x 765 - 2M
  • It happens with multiple characters with and without hair and with different wardrobes. The DAZ version is told in the opening post.

- I tried a figure without any addons: worked
    - figure with hair: worked
    - figure with clothing: DAZ hangs at "reading asset"

@westernnomad That is not present in my DAZ installation. Most probably something nonstandard that you installed.

• Update: Some wardrobes seem to work, others do not.

not working so far: 

- dForce Steampunk Classic for Genesis 8 male
    - Gate Guardian for Genesis 8 male (no dForce)

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited January 2020

Pose response time is greatly affected by the morphs being loaded th Genesis 8. You’ll find if you remove half your morphs in your selected gender character folder the poses will load much faster. This is because when Genesis 8 loads it loads every morph. Applying poses takes time becaue of this.  Genesis 8 is getting rather long in the tooth so by this time many people have tons of morphs and characters. These cause slowdown unfortunately.

Post edited by Serene Night on

Yes, what Serene Nights says is more likely the cause. I own many Genesis 8 characters but not a great lot of them so I'm not getting the slow down others get as DS loads & parses all those morphs. 

• XanathonXanathon Posts: 86
    edited January 2020

I do not need them to load faster, I need to load them at all (the software does not take very long, it becomes unresponsive). This seems not to be a general problem as you describe it, but dependent on some clothing on some figures, not a global one. Other figure/clothing/pose combinations load super fast, as they should with my machine specs.

Since this happens only with certain content (as I wrote above) I do not believe this is a global problem. I can pose a Gen8 with complex clothing just fine, but other clothing, that is even way simpler, does not work. So the morph explanation makes no sense in this case.

• Quite amazing that DAZ gladly takes my money but if something does not work they choose to not answer my support tickets (and I do not mean this forum post, I submitted a ticket in parallel to opening thhis thread). They obviously have no interest at all in a somewhat working customer support. I'll remember that when thinking about where my money goes in the future.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited January 2020
    Xanathon said:

Quite amazing that DAZ gladly takes my money but if something does not work they choose to not answer my support tickets (and I do not mean this forum post, I submitted a ticket in parallel to opening thhis thread). They obviously have no interest at all in a somewhat working customer support. I'll remember that when thinking about where my money goes in the future.

I replied to your other post, it is a quote within a quote

Chohole said:

Tech support problems always take longer because they have first got to reliably duplicate the problem, and then work to correct it.

Chohole said:

Do you know how to add feedback etc to your ticket?

Go through as though you are going to submit another ticket,  instead go to top right hand corner,  make sure you are signed in by clicking the box where it say "sign in"   then click it again and you will see "My activities"   so click that and you will see things there, like "My requests"   clicking on that will give you the status of your ticket,

Post edited by Chohole on