Lights don't work in Texture Shaded view, Please help!

So I'm new to all this and i'm trying to light a scene. First of all, the luminous flux does NOT increase the light when I'm in texture shaded mode. I can crank it up to 50000000 and it looks exactly the same as it did at 1500. Then I go into invidia iray mode to see the light and it's blowing out my scene. So I go back to texture shaded, and now everything is dark. No light at all.

This lighting business has me so frustrated I'm about to give up. Can anyone help? What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• CTRL+L will turn on the camera light which usually lets you see what is happening in a scene in texture shaded mode (such as when everything was black).

Usually I apply a light source to a scene, then run a quick test render to 50-100 iterations and then cancel it, close the render window and adjust from there.  Depending on how good your graphics card is you can work in iray preview mode and make adjustments to the lighting from there so you can see the results fairly quickly, and then switch back to texture shaded for moving or adding objects.  When I'm doing this I generally set the Maximum Samples to 50 in the Render Settings > Progressive Rendering.

• Wow. I'm pretty sure you just raised more questions for me than you answered! LOL. Thanks for the help though. Is there a good YouTube tutorial for lighting in Daz?

• Have you tried using Scene only - When you are working with lights? Then you can see the result both 
    in texture shaded and or in Iray

• gniiialgniiial Posts: 204

I'd suggest to use a spot light, then transform it to your needs. It works really great in the texture shaded way, and is also a good way to lighten the scene in general. It looks way more realistic, with some nice settings. By moving it further away, you see also better when the impact is to low, to high or if it would give a nice lightning. 
    Some Settings, for a model at the startpoint:
    Parameters Tab of the light:
    Transforms:
    X Translate: -43

Y Translate: 301

Z Translate: 225

X Rotate -36

Y Rotate -19

Then at Light (Bottom of the Spot light):
    Color: 255 - 255 - 247

(in general you sould never use simple white, because there is no such thing in the real world, often more yellowish, red or an orange direction) 

Intensity: 100 (here you could crank something up a little)

Spread Angle: 109 (this makes the light spread a little more slight changes are in order when you move the light)

Luminous Flux: 2500 (it handles lightning like Lumen and should stay under 7500 but less is more realistic)

Temperature: 7500 (Like light Celvin, it hat an impact of the coloring. So if it would be more a warmth or cold color no need to go over 10000)

Its also better to add a distant light with an intensity below 10% and a direction where the light would come from. For this test scene you could use it like this:

Transforms:

Y Translate: 472

Z Translate: 362

X Rotate -75

Then at Light (Bottom of the Distant light):
    Color: 255 - 247 - 226

(Here we have the "daylight", so it is more yellow and mixes nice with the spot light coloring) 

Intensity: 9 (here you could crank something up a little, but keep it below your spotlight to have a better skin tone and nicer shadows. You can see even with one or two percent more intensity the big impact in texture shader mode)

Luminous Flux: 250 (no need to crank it up, because the spot light should do the job)

Temperature: 1500 (also no need to get to high here)

In the end i add a third light from behind, also a spot light with really low settings. The direction i use is like the direction of the camera. So if i make a scene from the left side, the spot light is also from left. In this situation i use it from right, far behind. Just to make sure there is in fact a smoth enviroment light. Because everything in the real world bounces light of. A white wall would make another impact as if it would be a lets say green wall. So the color would change a bit. 

Transforms:
    X Translate: 212

Y Translate: 251

Z Translate: -407

X Rotate 346

Y Rotate 152

Then at Light (Bottom of the Spot light):
    Color: 255 - 253 - 228

(keep the color warm, so the main lspot light has more impact on the model and to prevent the smoth spot light to be stronger and so to speak better to see) 

Intensity: 33% (here you could crank something up a little, but i would keep it 1/4 - 1/3 of the main light)

Spread Angle: 113 (this makes the light spread a little more slight changes are in order when you move the light)

Luminous Flux: 500 (no need to crank it up to high, but slightly higher as the "sun or environment")

Temperature: 2000 (no need to crank it up to high, but slightly higher as the "sun or environment")

Some people use just one light, because it gives the best shadows. But i myself think at this point that the bouncing effects are to weak, so that other lights are needet to gain the effect that the surroundings bounce light of. The only exception would be a night or late evenening, where the impact would be less than 1 or 2 percent. Like when you sit in front of a screen, that gives a bright, white (the most white light by the way) light. The surroundings could be 1 meter away and the impact would even for a white wall really hard to notice. Also, a Morning or evening has other light settings than a bright or cloudy day. 

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

So I'm new to all this and i'm trying to light a scene. First of all, the luminous flux does NOT increase the light when I'm in texture shaded mode. I can crank it up to 50000000 and it looks exactly the same as it did at 1500. Then I go into invidia iray mode to see the light and it's blowing out my scene. So I go back to texture shaded, and now everything is dark. No light at all.

You're not actually doing anything wrong, it's just that there are a few complications, especially when it comes to lighting (in any 3D program, not just DAZ|Studio). Unless you change it in Render Settings, D|S is going to use the Iray render engine, which can produce very good realistic renders, but it does need either seriously powerful (and expen$$$ive) hardware, or lots of patience because the render will be slow.

The Viewport, where you see what you're putting in your scene, uses another render engine, OpenGL, which is dependent on the specification of your graphics card. This is much simpler than Iray, using a much more limited lighting model — it can't really understand the Luminous Flux parameter of an Iray light, so it sort of guesstimates... poorly.

One thing you can do is set your Viewport to use Iray, but bear in mind what I said above; Iray needs good hardware, specifically the graphics card, or it will be slow. Click on the little globe icon on the top edge of your Viewport; it should be set at Texure Shaded, which is the best OpenGL view you're going to get. Change this to Iray, and the Viewport will do a quick, simplified Iray render which will let you see what the lighting in a final render will look like. Note that this might not be all that fast, but it will be faster than running lots of test renders and tweaking the lighting levels all the time. Remember to set the Viewport back to Texture Shaded once you're happy with the current lighting.

• ChezjuanChezjuan Posts: 505
    edited January 2020

This is a decent tutorial for setting up 3-point lighting in Iray. I use this for many of my renders to get a more natural look. In order to see the actual lighting effect, you need to be in Iray preview mode. I generally set up the lights roughly based on the settings SY recommends while in texture shaded mode (I use ctrl+L to turn off "preview lights"). Then I turn on Iray preview in my aux viewport (or sometimes the main one) and then tweak the three lights actual settings further to get what I am looking for in the final. 

https://www.deviantart.com/sickleyield/journal/Tutorial-Three-Point-Lighting-In-Iray-598282717

ETA: The whole "lights not working in texture shaded mode" drove me nuts when I started using Daz Studio a few years ago, but I got used to it relatively quickly. 

Post edited by Chezjuan on
  • it sort of guesstimates... poorly.

That's pretty much what I'm doing, so... LOL. Thanks everybody this has all been very helpful. I'm really greatful for the shared knowledge.