The All you can Eat Sushi and Complaints Thread

Comments

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ps1borg said:
    Well the local beaches are closed, is officially too hot to be at the beach today whisky tango foxtrot. That is my complaint :)

...hmmm, that's like it's snowing too much to go skiing

Actually I've heard of that happening! White-out conditions can make them close the trails. And also fear of an avalanche.

Dana

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,391
    edited December 1969

Finally getting a Nintendo 3DS after so long. An imported one though, so it can't play any US games, but there aren't really any other games I'm interested in currently. Don't really have much choice here, since SquareEnix refuses to localize the DragonWarrior(Quest) Monsters 1 / 2 remakes. Don't know why, since those were the best in the series.

Well, the Terry's Wonderland remake (Dragonquest Monsters 1) they're likely never going to translate for us, but there's still a [very slim] possibility they may take pity on us and translate the sequel's remake that they're working on. I'm not holding my breath though, it really seems like the Monsters series has been restricted to Japan-only now :blank:

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited January 2014

DanaTA said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    ...could go for some of that warmth here.

Have been in total pain all last night and day today even with taking my Advil.

Looking at the current conditions here no wonder. Was supposed to be in the mid to upper 50s today, don't know what happened.

Now there's the job to have. You can be wrong most of the time and not worry about being fired. If it didn't require a degree, I'd be there. Then again, I don't understand why it does require a degree considering the failure rate of most forecasts. Crikey, my joints and bones are more accurate than all their doppler radar, computer models and satellites combined.

The main meteorologist on the Fox 25 news (Boston station) is very accurate. And this is New England, where if you wait a minute the weather might change. He's better than the weather station. Maybe what you have there is just a "weather man", that is...a reporter, not a meteorologist. It's partly the technology, and partly knowing the area you live in.

I still think you should look into relocating. There might even be some kind of program that will help you, since your health is greatly impacted by the conditions of the area where you now live. I am sure I heard of someone getting some help like that some years ago. As it stands, you are in an impossible situation right now.

As for having a car, mine is paid for in full (for which I am extremely happy) and my friend helps me with maintenance. He's a mechanic and has worked at a few major dealers over the years. And having a Toyota Camry, there isn't much other than normal wear and tear that needs work. Things like breaks and exhaust system parts. He even does my oil changes lately. He does all this in his garage (house, not business) so yes, things can be done without going to the dealer. Of course, there are some things he can't do because he doesn't have a lift. But I do understand your situation. There are many in that place. Many people who live in Boston don't have cars...too expensive, no place to park (public parking is very expensive, and private parking spaces in Boston are like real estate, and I even saw one for sale...it cost almost as much as my house!), and the T is easy to get to from just about everywhere in the city.

Dana
    ...one would think where I am it would be rather easy to forecast the weather: Rain, followed by more Rain and next week...Rain. you wouldn't believe how many times they get it wrong. When it appears they say we are heading into a stretch of nice weather...then guess what,? It rains. and or gets cold. Yesterday's forecast for today (including on the WC's site) was supposed to be sunny and 56°. Well, they got the "sunny" part right but the actual high was only 40°. It is 20:19 local time and we are already at the forecast early morning low of 36°.

Even if I had a car given me, (tax free with initial fees& licence paid for) that was in sound mechanical condition, I still could not afford to drive because of the cost of insurance. If based on petrol costs alone, it actually is cheaper to drive here than to take transit (as long as you don't own a gas guzzling V-8 pickup or SUV and didn't have to pay for parking). Lots of the places on the west side of the metro area (like where I used to work) have their own car parks.

Being able to drive would certainly help improve my job search chances and maybe even get me hired. Often, the few jobs I see that I could qualify for tend to be out where bus service is very poor to non-existent, making for dreadfully long commutes, a good part of which are either just standing around waiting for the bus to show up (as well as for connections) due to lousy frequency and scheduling, and/or walking long distances to get to the nearest line (often in areas with few if any sidewalks).

As to relocating, unless a company that hires you to work in another city pays for your relocation fees (and that is rare today) it has to come out of your own pocket. As I estimated, to physically make the move (without a car) find and settle into a place (if a place would even accept me as a tenant without yet having a job), and have have enough of a cushion to live on for six months while looking for work would require about 14,000$ (provided I could find a job commensurate with the local cost of living in that amount of time). As I would be a new resident I wouldn't qualify for any state administered benefits (or school tuition if I decided to upgrade my skills) as I would have to work for one year to establish residency.

....and then where do I go? It's tough enough on me here where rarely ever get what I call "real winter". I certainly couldn't move back to the Midwest or the Northeast. The states with the lowest unemployment are in the upper plains (Dakotas/Wyoming) as well as Alaska. Talk about harsh winters. Forget any notion of public transit there as well. On the other hand, the states that would be best for my condition, the desert states (Nevada/Arizona/New Mexico) and Florida or Hawai'i have either high unemployment, or in Hawai'i's case, an extremely high cost of living, while none of them have a "real" economic base besides tourism. It's no wonder Nevada is still in such bad shape as Las Vegas and Reno basically carry the state's economy. California is of course totally out as they also have high unemployment (second only to Nevada) and the adminsitration there constantly seems to be in a state of fiscal panic.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited January 2014

Heatwave. Is hot, I'm waving. For the record is 119 in the shade outside our back door :)

Is no fair that hot doesn't photograph :lol:

tt.png
    253 x 170 - 16K
    Post edited by ps1borg on
    edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    Heatwave. Is hot, I'm waving. For the record is 119 in the shade outside our back door :)

It sort of does, if you use a very long lens. Sometimes you can capture the ripples of heat causing distortions in the view.

Dana

edited December 1969

ps1borg said:

...and Melbourne is hosting a Grand Slam tennis tournament as well. Must be like playing on a skillet on high heat with that asphalt court.
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ps1borg said:

...and Melbourne is hosting a Grand Slam tennis tournament as well. Must be like playing on a skillet on high heat with that asphalt court.

Three blocks away from us. Crazy people. :lol:

edited January 2014

...yeah, on ESPN I've been seeing them wearing long ropes of bags of ice tied together like strings of clear sausages over their shoulders.

One would think the organisers would postpone the event a few days until things cooled down a bit. Forcing them to play in those conditions is brutal.

...seems a real contradiction, too hot to go to the beach but not to hot to play a fast paced tennis match on an asphalt court in direct sunlight in an arena which doesn't even allow for the slightest breeze.

Do they ever call cricket or footy matches because of the heat?

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited January 2014

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...yeah, on ESPN I've been seeing them wearing long ropes of bags of ice tied together like strings of clear sausages over their shoulders.

One would think the organisers would postpone the event a few days until things cooled down a bit. Forcing them to play in those conditions is brutal.

...seems a real contradiction, too hot to go to the beach but not to hot to play a fast paced tennis match on an asphalt court in direct sunlight in an arena which doesn't even allow for the slightest breeze.

Do they ever call cricket or footy matches because of the heat?

Too much money involved at the Tennis I think, don't know what the story is there . The other codes yes sometimes but ones I remember were during floods.

Can feel some sea air blowing through, temp should start to drop off fast any time now *hopes*

ETA yay

t88.png
    219 x 179 - 16K
    t5.png
    253 x 169 - 16K
    edited January 2014

DanaTA said:
    ps1borg said:

It sort of does, if you use a very long lens. Sometimes you can capture the ripples of heat causing distortions in the view.

Dana

You guys got a heap of sparkly white stuff with assorted shinies to show. City skyline is kinda sagging tonight, we got wilted yellow and brown leaves and a dead bird or two, no fair :lol:

83.png
    215 x 173 - 17K
    edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    DanaTA said:
    ps1borg said:

Dana

You guys got a heap of sparkly white stuff with assorted shinies to show. City skyline is kinda sagging tonight, we got wilted yellow and brown leaves and a dead bird or two, no fair :lol:

Actually, all of our snow has melted. We might get some more on Wednesday, it's not certain yet. It looks like it might just go out to sea. This is too far in advance to know, though, for New England.

Dana

edited December 1969

...well, it's been another long sort of productive but also trying day.

Stream of mixed complaints/non-complaints

Submitted more applications and resumes.
    Caught up on all the news that gives me the blues,
    Another Low Balance Alert from my bank
    Have plenty of food for the rest of the week.
    Received more pointless job referrals that I neither qualify for or are out of town/state.
    Didn't fire up the workstation again as I'm just not inspired or motivated right now.
    Made a nice big stir fry dinner, leftovers for lunch tomorrow.
    My joints and bones hurt
    My brain hurts.
    My soul hurts
    I still miss Wooly

Fifteen Days and counting....

Nite all...

smiley-sleep018.gif
    45 x 30 - 7K
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    ps1borg said:
    DanaTA said:
    ps1borg said:

Dana

Actually, all of our snow has melted. We might get some more on Wednesday, it's not certain yet. It looks like it might just go out to sea. This is too far in advance to know, though, for New England.

Dana

If the snow melts and runs out to sea bits of it would find their way here eventually :)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,797
    edited December 1969

cooling down, very windy

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    Well the local beaches are closed, is officially too hot to be at the beach today whisky tango foxtrot. That is my complaint :)

Why? Is the water boiling? On fire? The sand turning into glass? The sharks beaching themselves? (head scratch)
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    I have to have a prescription for over the counter pain killers.

I need a new over the counter brain, the old one fried yesterday :lol:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9Q3xRsZY00

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,797
    edited January 2014

could smell smoke
    the roundabout grass near me caught fire by looks earlier today
    few more still going a few blocks further away
    council should mow grass more often, had lightning

Untitled.jpg
    868 x 503 - 254K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    tjohn said:
    woulda been prettier with sprinkles, but still, came out tasty.

Now that's ironic! And cute.

Dana

googily eyes for cookieeee

edited December 1969

ps1borg said:

feeling faint just thinking about it :bug:

is your water supply holding up?

edited December 1969

lotsa complaint worthy complaints!

edited January 2014

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...well, it's been another long sort of productive but also trying day.

Stream of mixed complaints/non-complaints

Submitted more applications and resumes.
    Caught up on all the news that gives me the blues,
    Another Low Balance Alert from my bank
    Have plenty of food for the rest of the week.
    Received more pointless job referrals that I neither qualify for or are out of town/state.
    Didn't fire up the workstation again as I'm just not inspired or motivated right now.
    Made a nice big stir fry dinner, leftovers for lunch tomorrow.
    My joints and bones hurt
    My brain hurts.
    My soul hurts
    I still miss Wooly

Fifteen Days and counting....

Nite all...

missing wooly too.

have you tried the temp agencies? i been in the same temp job 11 years. started out manpower, it morphed into experis

if your pay is low enough, might still qualify for medicaid

if you go experis you could use me as a reference :)

http://www.experis.us/Job-Seekers/Search-Jobs.htm?service-lob=p&keywords1;=&location1=portland, or⟨=&inst;=&start=1&lat=45.5234515&lon;= -122.6762071&

is a business analyst like a producer?
    2 jobs i don't understand what they are

hmm maybe it's time to upgrade my job

gotta luv the "or equivalent work experience" :)

there's nothing by me. lots more jobs by portland and beaverton. oo i should check kissimee.

i see something in altemont springs. nothing by me, nuthing.
    fail. there goes my energy spurt. is exhausting to have no prospects.

i'd have to move, far, when my current job is over. i better buckle down and start saving.

the 1.99 pc items are the only shineys i can cheer myself up with

Post edited by Mistara on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,688
    edited December 1969

thought I was going to get a free hair cut today but got to the location too late to go. So trying to figure out what to do until time to leave. I am currently at a place called the drop in center.

edited December 1969

thought I was going to get a free hair cut today but got to the location too late to go. So trying to figure out what to do until time to leave. I am currently at a place called the drop in center.

are you near a movie theatre? maybe catch a movie?

edited December 1969

are you near a movie theatre? maybe catch a movie?

No cash on me and no card on me either and also there is not a movie theater near here.

edited December 1969

the hair cut was supposed to be for free.

edited December 1969

i gave up on an idl render version

140114_copy.jpg
    1700 x 1624 - 496K
    edited December 1969

the hair cut was supposed to be for free.

did you carry a sammich with you?

tossing crumbs to the pigeons is a relaxing afternoon activity. :)

edited December 1969

ravioli parm for lunch today.

edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    DanaTA said:
    ps1borg said:
    DanaTA said:
    ps1borg said:

Dana

Dana

If the snow melts and runs out to sea bits of it would find their way here eventually :)

Oh, I didn't mean melting, I meant the storm itself might not hit us, it might just blow out to sea. We are on the Atlantic coast here in southeastern New England. My city isn't right on the coast, but i can get there in several directions within an hour.

Dana

edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    ps1borg said:

Why? Is the water boiling? On fire? The sand turning into glass? The sharks beaching themselves? (head scratch)

Well, I suppose there could be a danger of sunstroke. And the heat on the beach is often worse than in a suburb, due to the high reflectivity of the sand. And if there's a haze, that can actually speed up the development of sunburn. I can see the logic in it.

Dana

This discussion has been closed.