What features would you like to see appear in dazstudio 5?

Comments

• Hi Richard. Your suggestion isnt' clear to me. I looked at the script section, but I'm not sure how it relates to saving poses, with a preset format, so that I don't have  many boxes each time

It is more that the feature is there, via a script - you could build on those to save a configuration file for the things you want to include/exclude and apply it (pick from a drop-down list say) when saving via a script launched from a button or menu.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,559

I don't know how to write scripts I'm afraid. So while this option may be available under the hood it is still a feature I'd like to request in product. Saving poses, and constantly unchecking stuff is silly and extremely arduous.... We don't have to do that for example when we reverse translation- you can save your last option. It would be nice if saving poses would allow you to do that especailly since the current process is so ridiculously inefficient.. 

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited November 2019
    ArtAngel said:

In the main menu, under help, directly below 'About Daz Studio', I would like to see "Revert Daz Version" and a drop down box that lists various older versions one could click to revert back to ... anyone else on board in wanting this?

useful for sure. Although I keep backups, it would save me keeping so many.

Although as with very close to all suggestions; don't need to wait for Studio 5 to have this implemented.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • inquireinquire Posts: 2,094

I don't know how to write scripts I'm afraid. So while this option may be available under the hood it is still a feature I'd like to request in product. Saving poses, and constantly unchecking stuff is silly and extremely arduous.... We don't have to do that for example when we reverse translation- you can save your last option. It would be nice if saving poses would allow you to do that especailly since the current process is so ridiculously inefficient.. 

Yes to the above. And sometimes I change scale proportions on a figure along with the pose. For example, the arms and legs may be longer. I'd like to be able to save the pose with the figure scaling in place. If it can already be done, I don't know how to do it.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,559
    edited November 2019
    inquire said:

Yes to the above. And sometimes I change scale proportions on a figure along with the pose. For example, the arms and legs may be longer. I'd like to be able to save the pose with the figure scaling in place. If it can already be done, I don't know how to do it.

This is entirely possible. For example, I saved M8 with little arms scaled small using the below formula. 

littlearms2.PNG
    1102 x 777 - 40K
    littlearms.PNG
    743 x 736 - 471K
    Post edited by Serene Night on
  • Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,556
    edited November 2019

If they could fix the IES profile it would be wonderful (Actually it's XZY like 3D Max OBJ).

And the surfaces really need Emission options to rotate this light source.

Post edited by Noah LGP on
  • ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,506
    nicstt said:
    ArtAngel said:

In the main menu, under help, directly below 'About Daz Studio', I would like to see "Revert Daz Version" and a drop down box that lists various older versions one could click to revert back to ... anyone else on board in wanting this?

Although as with very close to all suggestions; don't need to wait for Studio 5 to have this implemented.

Me too. But I get tired of jimmy rigging dim and creating backups. If it sorta worked like how the plug-ins work Daz would find more people willing to upgrade and venture into new territory knowing they could revert. It's like exploring an unknown cave or forest by tieing strings around trees or rocks, knowing if things get out of hand there's a wayto go back to a safer less dangerous place.

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    Noah LGP said:

If they could fix the IES profile it would be wonderful (Actually it's XZY like 3D Max OBJ).

And the surfaces really need Emission options to rotate this light source.

I'd vote for that! Especially the rotate option.

• Improved export and interoperability functions to easily integrate content into other software, like 3D Max, Maya, Blender, Cinema 4D,...

inquire said:

This is entirely possible. For example, I saved M8 with little arms scaled small using the below formula. 

I don't understand how to access this. If I go to the Content Tab and select "Pose Preset," this does not come up. How do I get to these options?

ArtAngel said:
    nicstt said:
    ArtAngel said:

Me too. But I get tired of jimmy rigging dim and creating backups. If it sorta worked like how the plug-ins work Daz would find more people willing to upgrade and venture into new territory knowing they could revert. It's like exploring an unknown cave or forest by tieing strings around trees or rocks, knowing if things get out of hand there's a wayto go back to a safer less dangerous place.

I have Time Machine (Macintosh) which keeps daily, weekly, monthly backups. If I were to go to a backup option for DAZ Studio, would it put all the files back in the right places? (I've never tried it.)

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,234

gLTF file support!

• plopsplops Posts: 71

Hi!

I would like to see a "Split" page in the PRODUCT LIBRARY, so I could scroll the list while leaving the product picture visible.

Also, the creaters name on that page, giving me a chance to trace the items due to oddly named content.

Also, since the last programme update, some of the "Accept / Yes / No" etc. windows now have differences as to which button they have selected, As I use the keyboard for as many op's. as possible to save time, and not having to break my flow to grab a mouse or look at the screen. If these came up selected in the positive, a quick tap on the ENTER key would save much time, Thankyou.

• wolf359 said:

Did Daz really say that? I can't think of what programs those might be, can you? It sure was not WebAnimate, Axis Neuron Pro, ikinema Orion, nor iPi Studio.

According to a Daz forum mod, those twist bones are the way that  "everyone else" handles limb twists.
    I  personally ,was never able to discover who that "everyone else" actually was.sad

Roll bones as part of HumanIK in Maya

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2018/ENU/Maya-CharacterAnimation/files/GUID-AB7C11EA-90A3-48C8-BDEB-E087F49214A7-htm.html

Manually rigging roll bones as a tutorial by Autodesk for 3DSMax

https://area.autodesk.com/tutorials/3ds-max-rigging-a-character-roll-bones-part-14/

setting up roll bone behavior in Motion Builder

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/motionbuilder/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2017/ENU/MotionBuilder/files/GUID-53EA32FD-7C8D-4C25-AE00-01BEB934E205-htm.html

Scroll until you see the section on Twist bones and how they are supported by Mechanim in Unity.

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/05/26/mecanim-humanoids/

I should note that Blender's Rigify function, also generates roll bones in the final stage.

I can find more examples if you need.

• plopsplops Posts: 71
    inquire said:

If it Helps, In the "save as a pose preset" requester, unchecking the whole figure at the top of the tree, then checking only the ones you want, works, including scale etc.

I also found that if I scale a figure in several places, I can save a pose file and then save a character preset for that figure. Once the preset is applied, you still need to apply the pose file, even if you save the preset with the pose in place. Such things as hands closed will not come through in the preset. Head shapes, skin textures, etc., can be applied to the character preset so that the figure is different.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

thing i would love most,

support for a mocap hardware to work with the face rigging and expressions.

http://www.dynamixyz.com/hardware/

edited January 2020
    ArtAngel said:
    nicstt said:
    ArtAngel said:

Doesn't cause me any issues; I am running 4.12.1.40 atm, but if I get irritated by the single instance lock (which I do fairly often), I just uninstall and re-install, well, I just backed up the installation folder and I can access earlier versions that way too; it isn't reccommended, but it's my computer. I have access to 4.12.0.47 as well; I just appended the build number into the beta folder name

Post edited by nicstt on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312

After hearing that Nvidia is dropping support in iray for anything older than the 20 series of cards I would like to see another render engine added.

• NathNath Posts: 2,713
    scorpio said:

After hearing that Nvidia is dropping support in iray for anything older than the 20 series of cards I would like to see another render engine added.

Wait, what?

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited January 2020
    Nath said:
    scorpio said:

Wait, what?

VRAY!!heart

Post edited by Mistara on
  • scorpio said:

Except that nVidia is not dropping support for pre 20x0 cards.

• ParadigmParadigm Posts: 421

I'd like them to fix pinning for Genesis 3 / 8 / future models so that it works the same as it did for G2 and earlier. Pins are a suggestion currently.

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470

If it could render an edible cookie, I would use that a lot!

• jmtbankjmtbank Posts: 164

I would like 2+ smoothing modifier targets.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    scorpio said:

...link please? 

kyoto kid said:
    scorpio said:

...link please? 

Agreed.

... Because 'I heard' is not exactly reliable.

• CELESRACELESRA Posts: 86
    edited January 2020

The one thing I would love to see is a way for Daz to import OBJ files with the accompanied textures. I use DAZ as an art tool for game backgrounds, illustrations etc. The one thing I learned quickly through the years is that most Daz creators only focus on clothing and characters and some items and occassionally... a creature of some sort. Sad to say, I am heavy into fantasy and sci-fi, so, creatures, ships, landscapes for alien planets etc....is a must for me. With that in mind, I want to see a functionality to load the object with a texture into the scene. Right now it loads all objects as grey textureless files. I am no expect user and have tried looking in the documentation but there is not much about that either, so not sure if it is supposed to do that. Also it loads the objects wrong and sometimes completely messes up. I don't create models and at times I have had to resort to purchasing renders from other daz creators at a price to get the images I need, but would prefer not to if I can avoid it.

So import of objects and then rigging of fantasy creatures...please...please make this a thing! I saw you have some sort of human rigger in the store the other day. I am looking for a rigger that would consider movements for monsters/fantasy creatures walking on four legs like dragons, that can also walk on their two behind legs, demons- considering the movement of front and back legs which do not bend like a human's, and then snakie slitherings like Naga, or snakes and then lastly rigger for a mech which isn't just constrained to human movements. If someone created a universal rigger where you can one-click set parameters like spinning the human compartment of a mech 180 degrees or being able to rotate guns, and adjust other smaller things on a mech, you will start to attract people who not only want an awesome mech in their work but will start to look at Daz as a possible way of rendering scenes for illustration, game design and animation. Today I am buying the Modern House 2 Kitchen Food 2 and the first one and to be fair I danced in joy as actual items are needed. Crisp packets, cans of drinks etc. More market options like trader markets and tents or covered areas like tents for trader markets- think comics here. People need to illustrate medieval market or modern market scenes quite often along with shops etc. There are already tonsof housing and hotel content on Daz, so I won't worry about that really. But more want to see buildings that are completely fantastical... think amazing! Not necessarily huge, but amazing. As an artist I can quickly sketch a variety of ideas that I would love to see on the Daz platform and once again... I don't know how to create it, so I am waiting for poeple to get creative and do it...for those who have that ability.

Daz, in terms of illustration is interesting, but can be tons better. In the past I used to not like Daz and didn't use it because it was hard to pose and find things within a scene. It has gotten easier for me now that I can pretty much spend an hour or two perfecting the perfect pose for an illustration. There are days I still cheat and just buy renders from other people as they already took the effort to create those renders and it saves me time and effort, which I can better use to create awesome artwork.

So, if I had to say a negative about Daz right now that can be improved, it is posing options. I bought a bunch of content that helps with lighting, effects, scenes etc. So I can't complain there really. Also, I would love to create hair for the gaming market and right now I am frustrated with all the 'normal' hair I see and at times just draw in my own hair on my own creations. I wish I knew how to do things, because I sure as heck would, but right now the concept of how the hair and textures are created, are beyond me. I tried my hand at textures and gave up. I might try again soon, but I have no friggin clue how people do it.

Oh, and lastly... hair posing controls. Please allow people to grab strands or parts of hair pieces to manipulate in any which way they see fit. I get frustrated with the lack of control of hair pieces I purchase and once again, it shouldn't take someone hours of searching forums to be able to learn how to do things in a simple way.

Post edited by CELESRA on
  • kyoto kid said:
    scorpio said:

...link please? 

nicstt said:
    kyoto kid said:
    scorpio said:

...link please? 

Agreed.

... Because 'I heard' is not exactly reliable.

Not true, as I said in my reply https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5257136/#Comment_5257136

• lycanine said:

The one thing I would love to see is a way for Daz to import OBJ files with the accompanied textures. I use DAZ as an art tool for game backgrounds, illustrations etc. The one thing I learned quickly through the years is that most Daz creators only focus on clothing and characters and some items and occassionally... a creature of some sort. Sad to say, I am heavy into fantasy and sci-fi, so, creatures, ships, landscapes for alien planets etc....is a must for me. With that in mind, I want to see a functionality to load the object with a texture into the scene. Right now it loads all objects as grey textureless files. I am no expect user and have tried looking in the documentation but there is not much about that either, so not sure if it is supposed to do that. Also it loads the objects wrong and sometimes completely messes up. I don't create models and at times I have had to resort to purchasing renders from other daz creators at a price to get the images I need, but would prefer not to if I can avoid it.

Try the current Public Build - see the section on OBJ import here https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5112696/#Comment_5112696

lycanine said:

So import of objects and then rigging of fantasy creatures...please...please make this a thing! I saw you have some sort of human rigger in the store the other day. I am looking for a rigger that would consider movements for monsters/fantasy creatures walking on four legs like dragons, that can also walk on their two behind legs, demons- considering the movement of front and back legs which do not bend like a human's, and then snakie slitherings like Naga, or snakes and then lastly rigger for a mech which isn't just constrained to human movements. If someone created a universal rigger where you can one-click set parameters like spinning the human compartment of a mech 180 degrees or being able to rotate guns, and adjust other smaller things on a mech, you will start to attract people who not only want an awesome mech in their work but will start to look at Daz as a possible way of rendering scenes for illustration, game design and animation. Today I am buying the Modern House 2 Kitchen Food 2 and the first one and to be fair I danced in joy as actual items are needed. Crisp packets, cans of drinks etc. More market options like trader markets and tents or covered areas like tents for trader markets- think comics here. People need to illustrate medieval market or modern market scenes quite often along with shops etc. There are already tonsof housing and hotel content on Daz, so I won't worry about that really. But more want to see buildings that are completely fantastical... think amazing! Not necessarily huge, but amazing. As an artist I can quickly sketch a variety of ideas that I would love to see on the Daz platform and once again... I don't know how to create it, so I am waiting for poeple to get creative and do it...for those who have that ability.

Daz, in terms of illustration is interesting, but can be tons better. In the past I used to not like Daz and didn't use it because it was hard to pose and find things within a scene. It has gotten easier for me now that I can pretty much spend an hour or two perfecting the perfect pose for an illustration. There are days I still cheat and just buy renders from other people as they already took the effort to create those renders and it saves me time and effort, which I can better use to create awesome artwork.

So, if I had to say a negative about Daz right now that can be improved, it is posing options. I bought a bunch of content that helps with lighting, effects, scenes etc. So I can't complain there really. Also, I would love to create hair for the gaming market and right now I am frustrated with all the 'normal' hair I see and at times just draw in my own hair on my own creations. I wish I knew how to do things, because I sure as heck would, but right now the concept of how the hair and textures are created, are beyond me. I tried my hand at textures and gave up. I might try again soon, but I have no friggin clue how people do it.

Oh, and lastly... hair posing controls. Please allow people to grab strands or parts of hair pieces to manipulate in any which way they see fit. I get frustrated with the lack of control of hair pieces I purchase and once again, it shouldn't take someone hours of searching forums to be able to learn how to do things in a simple way.

A lot of this is more about content than the application.