Look at my Hair (LAMH) Official Thread: update 1.6.0.2 released

Comments

• edited December 1969

Artress said:
    esarge said:
    Why not install the 64 bit studio and see if that helps. You might be running out of ram when you bump it up.

k ill give that a try and see. ill update post in a bit

Update Yaaay it works! Thank you bunches!

Oh man that was ugly. i used 200k total and it worked. So i deleted the obj and try to do another one and my pc froze. i couldnt do anything! LOL Any clue how to fix it?

It's good that you moved to 64 bit since 32 bit is memory constrained. Keep in mind that the OBJ's are going to be huge, unless you use the new LAMH Beta. You are entitled to become a tester and get access to the 1.07 Beta once you've purchased and activated the 1.0full LAMH. Register at http://bugzilla.look-at-my-hair.com and then follow the instructions there.

We're in the final stages of testing with the new version due out very soon.

Kendall

Thanks Kendall. I went and snagged it. Do I replace the beta folder with the older one in daz?

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

Artress said:
    Artress said:
    esarge said:
    Why not install the 64 bit studio and see if that helps. You might be running out of ram when you bump it up.

k ill give that a try and see. ill update post in a bit

Update Yaaay it works! Thank you bunches!

Oh man that was ugly. i used 200k total and it worked. So i deleted the obj and try to do another one and my pc froze. i couldnt do anything! LOL Any clue how to fix it?

It's good that you moved to 64 bit since 32 bit is memory constrained. Keep in mind that the OBJ's are going to be huge, unless you use the new LAMH Beta. You are entitled to become a tester and get access to the 1.07 Beta once you've purchased and activated the 1.0full LAMH. Register at http://bugzilla.look-at-my-hair.com and then follow the instructions there.

We're in the final stages of testing with the new version due out very soon.

Kendall

Thanks Kendall. I went and snagged it. Do I replace the beta folder with the older one in daz?

Just overwrite any existing files with the matching ones from the archive.

Kendall

• edited December 1969

Hi,

two question about this plugin:

1. Is it possible to create wet hair e.g. hair soaked with sweat?
    2. Is it possible to create Dreadlocks like those saddhus have in wikipedia have: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreadlocks ?

Kind Regards

edited December 1969

Hi,

two question about this plugin:

1. Is it possible to create wet hair e.g. hair soaked with sweat?
    2. Is it possible to create Dreadlocks like those saddhus have in wikipedia have: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreadlocks ?

Kind Regards

It is possible with LAMH. It is not easy... yet.

Kendall

• MythmakerMythmaker Posts: 606
    edited October 2013

Hello LAMH user here. I'm wondering about the render TIME cost of polygonal hair vs transmapped hair in Daz Studio. I plan to use UE2 plus some standard lights. I read about turning off transparent hair's surface shadow and occlussion for faster render, but haven't seen anything regarding optimizing render time for polygonal fiber mesh type hair inside Daz

I'm a story teller so my scenes will often contain more than 2 actors with hair, sometimes with many "extra characters". I originally planned to use typical transmapped hair on them and save the "real" hair for the key actors. But if transmapped hair is time-expensive even with shadow/occulsion off, then I may as well go 100% mesh hair for everyone.

Please advice.

Post edited by Mythmaker on
  • Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited December 1969

Mythmaker said:
    Hello LAMH user here. I'm wondering about the render TIME cost of polygonal hair vs transmapped hair in Daz Studio. I plan to use UE2 plus some standard lights. I read about turning off transparent hair's surface shadow and occlussion for faster render, but haven't seen anything regarding optimizing render time for polygonal fiber mesh type hair inside Daz

I'm a story teller so my scenes will often contain more than 2 actors with hair, sometimes with many "extra characters". I originally planned to use typical transmapped hair on them and save the "real" hair for the key actors. But if transmapped hair is time-expensive even with shadow/occulsion off, then I may as well go 100% mesh hair for everyone.

Please advice.

From my personal experience, rendering a 1million hair mesh using UE2 is approximately 2x faster than 50.000 transmapped hairs. Things get even better if you render Ricurves in Studio.

• MythmakerMythmaker Posts: 606
    edited December 1969

Ah good I shall go do some testing. Thanks Alessandro.

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440
    edited November 2013

i've owed this for a few months but never really played with it. Just tried today, and instant error upon rendering. Daz studio log is no help, as there is no error listed.

Tried with a handful of the presets from furry things, all the same result.

Any ideas?

//edit apparently a light is required. at least that seems to have solved my issues.

Post edited by evilded777 on
    edited November 2013

i've owed this for a few months but never really played with it. Just tried today, and instant error upon rendering. Daz studio log is no help, as there is no error listed.

Tried with a handful of the presets from furry things, all the same result.

Any ideas?

What is your machine specs and DS version? If you have an Intel Graphics Chipset, make sure that you have updated your drivers. Also, you may want to register for the All Customers Beta to get the 1.07 beta with more features (if you are a 1.0 full plugin owner). http://bugzilla.look-at-my-hair.com follow the instructions.

Email me at: krsears (at) trdc.biz

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
  • lokanbulllokanbull Posts: 24
    edited January 2014

Sorry about this post, I can't seem to figure out how to delete it.

Post edited by lokanbull on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

OK, for THIS price I broke down and bought it (still don't like extra activation, but ...).

First: Could somebody please tell me what is the best way to go - don't install the Daz3dShop version at all and download the newest Beta from Furrythings?

Second: the activation
    " After purchase, an Installation code will provided in your DAZ 3D account “My Serial Numbers” page.
    After installing and selecting to create a New 'Look At My Hair' Object, you will be prompted to to get an authorization code by entering the shown serial number and installation codes at the link provided. You will then enter the Authorization code where prompted to activate Look At My Hair."
    So if I copy/paste this Authorization code in a text file, I am able to authorize it again after a reinstall without another trip to the internet?
    Or what folder/file do I have to backup to make that possible?

Third: my Dazstudio and DS content are NOT in C:\programs or "My Library" - wasn't there some folder or file that I have to move into my Dazstudio installation folder or my content folder to make it work?

Fourth (promised: last): are there any file generated on my C: ... drive (data or whereever?)

edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    OK, for THIS price I broke down and bought it (still don't like extra activation, but ...).

First: Could somebody please tell me what is the best way to go - don't install the Daz3dShop version at all and download the newest Beta from Furrythings?

Install the version from the store. Then install the RC over the top of that data. Use the Release Candidate files that you can obtain from the All Customers Beta area -- Currently at RC3 and very close to a General Release.

Second: the activation
    " After purchase, an Installation code will provided in your DAZ 3D account “My Serial Numbers” page.
    After installing and selecting to create a New 'Look At My Hair' Object, you will be prompted to to get an authorization code by entering the shown serial number and installation codes at the link provided. You will then enter the Authorization code where prompted to activate Look At My Hair."
    So if I copy/paste this Authorization code in a text file, I am able to authorize it again after a reinstall without another trip to the internet?
    Or what folder/file do I have to backup to make that possible?

After activation, you will have a lookatmyhair.cfg file in the Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/lookatmyhairAM folder. This is the file you back up. The numbers in this file authorize your machine.

Third: my Dazstudio and DS content are NOT in C:\programs or "My Library" - wasn't there some folder or file that I have to move into my Dazstudio installation folder or my content folder to make it work?

Fourth (promised: last): are there any file generated on my C: ... drive (data or whereever?)

All files are referenced from the values in the DAZStudio settings. The only things of your C: drive are those pieces that need to be installed with DAZStudio in its installed plugins folder. That is all.

Kendall

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    edited December 1969

latest version dazstudio
    latest version LamH player
    presets by allesandro constantly crashing studio
    I was thinking about to buy this program- no no no

win7 64
    8 gig ram

edited December 1969

Thank you Kendall!

Ruphuss: when you say lates version LAMH player - are you talking about this one? http://www.furrythings.com/lamh-player/
    or the newest from the store?

edited December 1969

Breaking my promise - on the other hand, I AM reading readme's and the tutorials that are coming with plugins and content ...

"The saved projects are stored in your “Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/lookatmyhairAM/presets” folder and have an .lmh extension."

Is it possible to point it to some other folder to save projects?

edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Thank you Kendall!

Ruphuss: when you say lates version LAMH player - are you talking about this one? http://www.furrythings.com/lamh-player/
    or the newest from the store?

from the store

..and the program does not remember where I saved my presets
    ...and it does not remember where I left the pane it in the ui
    ...and if I am doing something wrong that causes the program to crash there should be a warning message

• lokanbulllokanbull Posts: 24
    edited December 1969

Just wanted to share my first custom fur texture using your LAMH plug-in. Nothing too complicated, but I love how it came out.

This one has 2M hairs on it, using Daz Studio for the setup, and external 3Delight for the final render.

generic_gorilla.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 335K
    edited January 2014

lokanbull said:
    Just wanted to share my first custom fur texture using your LAMH plug-in. Nothing too complicated, but I love how it came out.

This one has 2M hairs on it, using Daz Studio for the setup, and external 3Delight for the final render.

Nice.

EDIT: On the chest you can get rid of the facet outlines by using the 3dPaint facility and adding some density to the edges. Just make the areas you want fully furred bright red, and the lesser areas less red. If using GIMP or PS to make the density maps, use ONLY the red channel.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
    edited December 1969

I changed the dll to newest version 1.07
    now the hair is not on the head anymore
    I tried with
    http://www.furrythings.com/presets_depot/Genesis-FemalePartedHair.zip
    is there a guide out for the free player?

edited December 1969

ruphuss said:
    I tried with

All that is necessary to load a preset (in either the player or full RC) is:

1) Open the LAMH Pane (Window->Panes (Tabs)->Look at my Hair
    2) make sure that Genesis is selected (either in the scene tab or in the Viewport)
    3) click on "Attach LAMH Preset"
    4) Navigate to, and select the desired preset.

Do not parent the LAMH Group to the figure once loaded.

Pose and Manipulate as normal, render when ready.

Kendall

edited December 1969

ruphuss said:
    I tried with

2) make sure that Genesis is selected (either in the scene tab or in the Viewport)

Kendall

I did like you said
    had no probs with a fresh genesis or V5
    the probs occurred when I took a special premade V5bree from a subszene
    and it was only this figure occurring the problems-don't know why and what was special about it

rendering with advanced ambient light is very slow even in draft quality
    and I cant take it out of rendering because it has no surface to flag
    is there another way?
    the program still does not remember the folder for the presets after I shut down studio

edited December 1969

ruphuss said:
    ruphuss said:
    I tried with

Kendall

I did like you said
    had no probs with a fresh genesis or V5
    the probs occurred when I took a special premade V5bree from a subszene
    and it was only this figure occurring the problems-don't know why and what was special about it

rendering with advanced ambient light is very slow even in draft quality
    and I cant take it out of rendering because it has no surface to flag
    is there another way?
    the program still does not remember the folder for the presets after I shut down studio

Hi ruphuss, please provide some more details.

- quantify what you mean by very slow
    - i take you are using the preset mentioned above, but how many toyal hairs are you trying to render?
    - can you specify shading rate and shadow options for the lights being used?
    - what render settings are you using (pixel samplea, ray trace depth, shading rate)?

The player doesn't yet remember last folder locstion: we'll see to implement that in a future update
    Thanks

edited December 1969

I take back all positive I said before
    constantly crashing with lamh
    seems to be you need a bit of luck to get this to work
    your program is in alpha state and you shouldn't take money for it

edited January 2014

ruphuss said:

Ruphuss, forgive me but... aren't you using the FREE player?
    Why you don't provide some information on your issues as me and Kendall asked?

Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:

To answer my own question: yes, there is a folder I have to create in My Documents (which of course is on C:) just to start LAMH ... *sigh*
    *wanders off to create yet another symlink*

For others who may get thrown off, you need this folder:
    My Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio

edited December 1969

ruphuss said:

Ruphuss, forgive me but... aren't you using the FREE player?
    Why you don't provide some information on your issues as me and Kendall asked?

yes lamh player
    it sometimes works
    sometimes not
    often crashes or shut down studio
    I cant predict when....
    the player is free I know
    but as far this is not working I wont buy the full program
    and now look at this thread
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/35455/

win7 64
    8gb ram
    latest player
    latest studio

edited December 1969

Question: what is the LAMH.lck file that is showing up on my harddrive???

edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Question: what is the LAMH.lck file that is showing up on my harddrive???

Ho Kerya, it's a lock file generated during LAMH use.
    edited December 1969

And ... ehm ... what does it lock?
    Curious ... and do I have to back it up in case of reinstallation?

edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    And ... ehm ... what does it lock?
    Curious ... and do I have to back it up in case of reinstallation?

It's a remnant of an implementation used in 1.0 to determine if the plugin was running or not. It will be removed in upcoming 1.07 release, so you can disregard it and there is no need to back it up or whatsoever.