Olympia 6 Discussion and Render Thread (previously Olympia 6 Preview Thread)

15678911»

Comments

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Thanks Spooky. I don't pretend to understand now, so I'm going to go back to looking at a render by Hellboy or Joelegecko and postworking my renders until they're about as bright as theirs. ;)

I've noticed a distinct difference between how things look on my main's monitor and my laptop, and the laptop seems closer to everyone else's because when things look correct on it they seem to look right to the testers as well. I end up doing brightness/contrast postwork for this reason a lot.It is likely that you need to calibrate your monitor. :)

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

Thanks Spooky. I don't pretend to understand now, so I'm going to go back to looking at a render by Hellboy or Joelegecko and postworking my renders until they're about as bright as theirs. ;)

I've noticed a distinct difference between how things look on my main's monitor and my laptop, and the laptop seems closer to everyone else's because when things look correct on it they seem to look right to the testers as well. I end up doing brightness/contrast postwork for this reason a lot.

I have two graphics cards in my laptop, an integrated Intel and and AMD Radeon. I use the Radeon for DS, browsing and videos, though I can't tell Windows Photo Viewer to use that so it uses the Intel and you can't half tell the difference when you look at renders with it.

CHEERS!

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

Like TVs, many laptop screens are whacked out when it comes to default calibration, since a super bright, super saturated look is often "more pleasing" to your average viewer and thus sells more units when seen sitting on a retailer's shelf, even though it's completely inaccurate. If you really want to do proper color, you need a hardware colorimeter tool like a Datacolor Spyder, X-Rite i1Display Pro, etc. These hook up via USB and measure measure how your display reproduces a set of known test screens and then generates a calibration file for the OS so that it adapts colour to display correctly.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

cwichura said:
    Like TVs, many laptop screens are whacked out when it comes to default calibration, since a super bright, super saturated look is often "more pleasing" to your average viewer and thus sells more units when seen sitting on a retailer's shelf, even though it's completely inaccurate. If you really want to do proper color, you need a hardware colorimeter tool like a Datacolor Spyder, X-Rite i1Display Pro, etc. These hook up via USB and measure measure how your display reproduces a set of known test screens and then generates a calibration file for the OS so that it adapts colour to display correctly.

Ain't cheap, but it might be worth it over time, I guess. I found some instructions and calibrated my monitor for now. I'll consider an external colorimeter next pay period.

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

True, they aren't the cheapest devices. Their target market is professional photographers and videographers.

Also, it should be noted that displays drift. So these systems are not a 'run once and forget' thing. They are meant to be run every couple of weeks to a month. I don't know if that makes the price more palatable or not, since it's something you will use repeatedly.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

cwichura said:
    True, they aren't the cheapest devices. Their target market is professional photographers and videographers.

Also, it should be noted that displays drift. So these systems are not a 'run once and forget' thing. They are meant to be run every couple of weeks to a month. I don't know if that makes the price more palatable or not, since it's something you will use repeatedly.

Sure. I've just spent $800 on Zbrush (not a small investment at my income but a necessary one) and I'm going to have to spend $200 on a new SSD soon (current one is filling up owing to the Users folders even though it's only supposed to contain my Windows install), so another $200 on a device that prevents me having to redo or postwork that much of my output is certainly valuable. It's just a matter of arranging it at the optimal time paycheck-wise.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

And just to get the thread back on topic. LOL

Olympia1.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 569K
  • JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

she fills-out V4 dynamic dresses in an interesting way (added a bit more curves to her with Curvaceous Olympia 6)...

Olympia_wearing_V4_dynamic.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 796K
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Very shapely. I like that!

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

... and I'm going to have to spend $200 on a new SSD soon (current one is filling up owing to the Users folders even though it's only supposed to contain my Windows install),...

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/
    I am moving those appdata Daz3d, Poser and the like folders away from my SSD ...

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

@SY: how often to you clear your temp files/cookies/old restore points/etc?

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312
    edited January 2014

Olympia - hope there's not too much butt on view

Oly2.jpg
    707 x 1000 - 123K
    Post edited by scorpio on
  • cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited December 1969

Sorel said:
    After the disgracefully modest Ranger outfit, I'm pleased to see we are back to proper fantasy warrioress-person outfits.

o.O srly?

I liked the outfit and somehow I doubt a ranger outfit would be effective in just a bra and panties. It is a ranger outfit after all.

I have to agree. I hate even in MMOs or games in general that, depending on who makes said game, your armor gets less and less...protective looking the higher you get.

Alexhcowley, would you like to move through a dense (coniferous... :D) forest in some kind of skimpy lingerie? That kind of renders would require a lot of LIE Deep Wounds product, wouldn't they?

I strongly encourage people to start referring properly - fantasy does NOT mean skimpwear and smexiness. Wearing such kind of clothes is totally irrational. Fantasy isn't just about Frazetta. That's why I am very happy to see Male-M3dia's and Sorel's posts.

(...) But I'm not sure that Teen Boy 6 is going to have Josie's equivalent name any more than Justin had Julie's. I can see the kid with a modern name like Jayden (...).

Are you a prophet of some sort...? => http://www.daz3d.com/compatibility-matrix => Teen Boys... :D

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,699
    edited December 1969

I like the name Jayden.

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

I like Olympia.....I just wish sometime they would fix her nose....I always have to do post work on it.....

Olympia_nose.jpg
    1500 x 1500 - 760K