WinterMoon Wants Attention.

Comments

• WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893
    edited October 2019

@Hylas Thank you! heart

Post edited by WinterMoon on

Meet Caitlin McBride, who's a fictional character that my own fictional character - Raelynn - is writing an epic novel about. Raelynn is also the one who chronicles the story of Aylatani, Liranda, Edgar & co, because she has a flair for preposterous tragedy.

I made this render for 3dCheapskate's ridiculous RPG character challenge, because of course I did. The following text, which also accompanies the picture in that thread, is from the first chapter of the Aeramorhan Chronicles, as told by Raelynn. 

"Caitlin Rain Eilish Irmengard Silvermoon Sorrow McBride lived in a ghostic castle on the moor of Dunkenny, in a wild and hard land where the wolves howled at the harvest moon. She was the last keeper of the Secret of the House of Aeramorhan, a secret so terrible that the very knowledge of it was known to drive a man insane. But Caitling was a girl, so she was safe, LOL! She herded her sheep on the moor. It was foggy and raining.

Suddenly there was this sexy knight on a black horse. He came storming out of the fog and his scarlett cape billowing in the back of him. “Caitlin Mc Bride!” he shouted on the wind. “You are the chosen one!” Then he rode into the storm and disappeared.

Caitlin hearded all her gothic black sheeps back home, and started reading a big leather book about propheties. She found a chapter called “The Chosen One”. It said: Caitlin you have to travel to the Valley of Sorrow. There is a dark tower there, and you must find the key. It holds the powers to help you fight the dark evils.

It was very scary.

Caitlin put on a pair of black velvet medieval jeans, that laced sexily up the legs, and a pair of black leather boots with silver buckles. She put on a black shirt with lace collar and cuffs and a black and scarlet tunic with corset on the front. Then she grabbed her sharp sword and a silver dagger. She put her long, ravenblack hair in a braid, and took her long bow and arrows. When she rode her wild black stallion across the moors, and came to the ruins of an old mansion, that was all overgrown with ivy and vines. She saw the light was on and an old wizeman lived there. So she stopped and asked him if he knew anything about the dark tower.

“Caitlin,” he said sadly with years of wisdom. “You're so young and beautiful, you shouldn't have to be the one who has to keep the secret of the House of Aeramorhan. It has driven many a strong man mad, and my brother who was a noble warrior clawed his own heart out in despair. But that was many years ago, when we fought the Dark Evils with the bravery of our hearts.”

“But I'm born in sadness,” Caitlin said, looking sorrowing and beautiful. “I'm the right one to bear this heavy burden of things that can't be known, because I see the beauty in pain.”

“You are a brave heart,” said the old man with a tear in his eyes. “With your help we can reclaim again the glory of the ancient ways. You must go to the castle of Blackvale, and learn the secret art of the warriors.”

So she travelled there on her horse."

Welpz. This thread is on a new page, so I'm going to take the liberty to post some "final versions" of pictures you've seen before. These were all done for contests and challenges, and were reworked after constructive feedback.

Fishing at Hemlock Folly, now in a wider angle with more baggage. (The dog was repositioned. He's either planning on taking a swim, or sending Edgar on one. You decide.)

Ryan doesn't quite know what he's looking at. A staircase that wasn't there before, hovering in the air (mostly) in the middle of the forest behind his home? He should probably walk up on it to see what happens, right?

This one again, and finally I got the lighting to where I don't want to bang my head against the keyboard when I look at it.

I'm not happy with this one, but I rendered it three times and spent several days trying to salvage it, so here it is! It's a sequel(?) to the first Polybius picture showing a later stage of Phil's involuntary break-dance performance. In my head, this looked a lot more cartoonish and funny. Yeah, no... it didn't translate well. The joke falls flat.

I have something better in the working, at least. frown

• TigerAnne said:

Meet Caitlin McBride, who's a fictional character that my own fictional character - Raelynn - is writing an epic novel about. Raelynn is also the one who chronicles the story of Aylatani, Liranda, Edgar & co, because she has a flair for preposterous tragedy.

In general a nice Piece.

But for my taste too less light in the foreground. You have this BIG BRIGHT Moon, so there is for sure more light in the scene.

Thank you, @SpaceVagabond! I would have put in more effort with the light if it wasn't for the fact that the picture was supposed to be ridiculous in the first place. Her sword is almost as long as her entire body, and everything!

• Well. sometimes a hero/villain needs a big long Sword.

"So this was what you meant when you said you had acquired a camper "the size of a house," then?

"Yeah. Kind of defies your expectations a bit, doesn't it?"

"Yes, Edgar. In many ways it does."

Oh no, what are they up to? laugh

edited November 2019

I think I have a new personal favourite. This is the updated version, where Miss Moose is no longer completely obscured. laugh

Post edited by WinterMoon on
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,771

^ Oh, this is lovely!

Hylas said:

^ Oh, this is lovely!

Thank you! smiley

Looks like I haven't posted anything in a while. My later renders have been taking a lot more time and effort than I've previously put into any of my scenes, but yeah... Time to disturb the peace and quiet, then. laugh

Here we have the kids dressed up for their Halloween party, a couple of weeks back. They're to old to go Trick-or-Treating now, but not for a bit of spooky fun. Lilo and Iris have gone all out with their dresses. x) Iris' twin brother, Ben, is seen for the first time in "HD" here. Apart from Lilo, who's a niece by marriage, this gang is all siblings. They're two pairs of twins, to be precise. 

Left to right, we've got Adana, Ben, Riana, Lilo and Iris. Their cats, Artemis and Leo, were supposed to be in the picture too, but they misbehaved. 

Hylas said:

That's probably a film they've watched a few times. smiley They're not into the occult themselves, but they do like a good scary story.

Yeah, I haven't been posting much stuff lately. Part of that is because I'm trying to work on a project with my BFF, part is because I have game withdrawal and play games instead of rendering, and part... is because I'm having a patch where I hate how everything turns out looking.

I did this one yesterday. It looked sooooo promising while it was rendering, but when I saw the finished result... Nope, I hate it. At least LaTonya (dialed a bit younger) ooks gorgeous, even in this uninspired state.

This is... It was done as a joke. Let's leave it at that.

Riana and Iris are enjoying the fresh snow, in the company of a big tabby who enjoys snow somewhat less. (It gets between his toes, bwrr!)

I did this one in the summer, for one of the challenges. Because I was going to do a "Christmas Calendar" and post a holiday and/or winter-themed image every day leading up to the 25th, I didn't post it before. Yeah, I totally found the time for that, huh? This was supposed to be the December 1rst picture, but meh. At least now I have lots of time to do the 2020 Advent Calender instead.

Dear Angelina...

I'm sending you this picture of Ronya, that I snapped this afternoon when we were in town to get some stuff. She had never been to the Old Town district before, so I showed her around. She said it was "very Dickens." :) So as you can see, she's not only smiling again, she's also willing to have her picture taken. Stella didn't come with us, because her friend was having a "Home Alone" marathon watching, but she's doing well too. Both of them send you their love, and we hope to see you soon. 

The best wishes to you and yours. Much love, Dennis.

After I did the picture of "Ronya," (Yes, there's a story of sorts going on there.) I wanted to do one of Tara in a similar style. Tara's still my favourite model, even if there are many others stealing screen-time from her. I really should use her more, though. She's one of only two of my "serious" characters that I've managed to bring to 3D-life, and the setting she lives in is so very different from both the Starbloom family and most of the characters I'm planning on making models for. I've been collecting all sorts of lovely old-fashioned stuff for her.

She got outfitted with both the same hair and coat as Ronya. wink They don't look anything much alike, however. I should probably do a "Who's Who" line-up of all the similar looking characters I've got. x)

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,771
    TigerAnne said:

Wow, this is lovely!

TigerAnne said:

So you dialled her yourself? She looks ready for the store!

Hylas said:

Wow, this is lovely!

So you dialled her yourself? She looks ready for the store!

Aww, thank you! heart Yep, Tara is my own dial-spinning. I made her initial version over a year ago, and I was incredibly impressed with myself, because at that point I had all of like three months of experience, LOL! That version had many flaws, especially from the neck down, so this is version 3.0 of her.

Well, this happened. I caved and bought Josie 8, to be the sister of the other two Josies I've collected. She's on the right here, and J7 is on the left. I wanted to compare them, so I made them "identical twins." But Lo and Behold, they make perfect identical twins. One twin often has a shorter, rounder or heart-shaped face, while the other one has a longer, more oval facial shape. They emote very differently, so they can still have distinct "personalities," thanks to the generation-gap. (I tried to make J8 look like she's biting her lip to keep from laughing. Does it work?)

I have this "thing" about trying to make my renders look like amateur photos. This HDRI from a set by Sedor gives a very "vintage" yellowed look to the renders, and I love it! Well, okay. It doesn't flatter the girls at all in this picture, as it blends out most of their subtle features, but I still thinks I managed a picture that looks "old." 

In my experience, anything other than brown eyes doesn't work so well for the Josies. (Maybe with the exception of J6.) The light probably doesn't help matters, though. Lighting is my number one priority to get better at, as it's the thing that most often kills the feelz of my renders.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,151

Thanks for the comparison. The store promos make Josie 7 look way better than 8, in my opinion, but they may be more comparable than I thought. I grabbed TJ7 when G3 base characters were $2.99 recently and XTransferred her to G8, so I’m not in a HUGE rush to get TJ8, but now I feel better about eventually buying her. 

yes I'll be happy to do more X vs Y comparisons, as long as I've actually got the characters you want to see. wink

I guess I've been influenced by all the Youtube.... influencers who collect LOL dolls and stuff. Just because you've got the original version, doesn't mean you shouldn't keep trying to find the (blind-boxed) glam-glitter version, and the sparkle version, and the re-release non sparkly/glittery version... At least with 3D characters you know which one you're buying! 

And the moment I had mentioned LOL Dolls, I just had to see if I could make some grotesque little child that resembled one. Just as I suspected, it looks extremely inappropriate and wrong. Don't dress your children like this, kids! (LOLs are the most popular toy for girls aged 6 to 10, or whatever the ages were. Half of the people who collect them seem to be adults, though.)

I think this one must be from the Hair Goals series, because she has *~*Real Hair*~* that can be brushed and... not styled, from what I've seen on Youtube. What do you think she'll do if you squeeze her head? Will she cry, spit in your face, or pee herself? Leave me a comment below to let me know what you think! Hit that subscribe button, don't forget to like and... And this isn't Youtube. yes

TigerAnne said:

yes I'll be happy to do more X vs Y comparisons, as long as I've actually got the characters you want to see. wink

Actually, it was really just Josie, since I thought the promo images of TJ8 made her look kind of bad. Based solely off the promo images, I still think TJ7 is both the best-looking and most realistic “teen” base figure. I wouldn’t mind seeing a comparison of Monique, Lee or Mei Lin, but I’m definitely planning to get the G8 versions of those.  

As for the rest of what you said, I have no idea what any of that means, and I’m probably happier that way. 

Gordig said:

As for the rest of what you said, I have no idea what any of that means, and I’m probably happier that way. 

Oh no, we can't have blissful ignorance!

LA LA LA LA LA CAN'T HEAR YOU

Super-duper happy that I managed to snag Monique 8 for a good price yesterday, I had to get her in a picture with her sister M7. These renders are purely for comparing the two sculpts, so plz to not judge the artistic merits here.

Right out of the box, the first thing you notice is that M7 is drastically taller than M8. Her skin is also more ultra-photorealistic, while M8's seems to have had some airbrushing done. M8's skin has that "French resin" look, a sort of translucency that's very attractive in dolls, but is never seen in real humans. (But I prefer to think of 3D as collecting dolls, so that doesn't bother me.)

With both of them wearing M7's skin, I noticed something interesting. If you enlarge the picture, you can see that is looks somewhat different on M8. It looks as if the underlying mesh has some effect on the translucency of the skin, which I had no idea about. There's a strong family resemblance between the two Moniques, but they're regular sisters not twins. 

And here they're seen emoting. x) They look kind of goofy, like they're laughing at an in-joke. I love it.

So I finally got Alexandra. And since I had the chance of snapping up Teen Jane as well, I did. The moment I saw TJ, I knew she was Alex's daughter. Just look at their noses! 

I don't know if I really like TJ's default skin. She'll have some trying on to do.

Try mom's skin on her.

Gordig said:

Try mom's skin on her.

"Moooom, I literally have nothing to wear. Can I borrow your skin? Does it suit me?"

"I think I wore it better at your age."

Here we've got the twins again, with neutral expressions. They're super similar. J7 on the left, J8 on the right. This will be their "default" skin as characters Allison (J7) and Ashley (J8). It's from Vyktoria's G3F character Faith.

But we can't forget their younger sister, named uh... Josie. J6 was my first Josie, so she keeps the name. (Like my M7 is "Monique" and her sisters are "Denise" and "Ella.")  BTW, I've decided I absolutely love Haven Park, so expect to see it used as a background a lot.