Unreal Engine renders better than NVIDIA IRAY in 1 second vs 30 minute IRAY renders-What's going on?

Comments

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679
    RayDAnt said:

Another thing about when people compare games to Iray and say how far they need to go...they do not often consider that the game they are comparing to is well, a game. They are optimized to run typically at 60 frames per second, so of course the assets are geared towards that target.

But you do not have to do that! If you are NOT making a video game, then you can go hog wild on the settings and assets. A video game engine CAN use SSS (and many do), in case anybody is wondering. A game engine can use textures much higher than they normally do at the cost of performance. But if all you want to do is capture animation, then you are not so worried about the performance. It could be rendering at 5 frames per second, that would be totally fine and and anybody using Daz Iray will tell you they would KILL for 5 frames per second, LOL. You can adjust many settings in Iray to get faster renders, however it is pretty much impossible to render as fast as gaming engine with Iray. You could place gaming models in there, it just wouldn't matter. Iray is not capable of doing that. Iray's only hope for speed like that is denoising. And I know a lot of you do not like denoising. BTW gaming engines can use denoising as well.

Here is how to activate Iray's built-in alternate graphics rendering mode purpose built for achieving high quality game engine level graphics in relative realtime: 

1. Go to the Draw Settings pane and set
      1. Drawing > Draw Mode = "Interactive"
      2. DrawingOptimization > Refinement Mode = "Interactive"
    2. Go to the Render Settings pane with NVIDIA Iray selected as renderer and set
      1. Editor tab Render Mode > Render Mode = "Interactive"
      2. Editor tab > Optimization > Refinement Mode = "Interactive"

At minimum you will need to play around with the rest of the options under Editor tab > Optimization in both places (changing Render Mode to "Interactive" completely changes/extends what this menu has to offer) to get workable results. But if your objective is to get animation adequate (ie. UE-level) graphics out of Iray and render speed rather than absolute photorealism is a priority, tweaking up this mode is the way to go - not attempting to tweak down Photoreal (since Photoreal inherently gives you fewer options.) 

As to how rendering performance actually does stack up... Using the Daz scene set originally pictured in this thread as an example (which, by the way, is a terrible choice for attempting to make a visual comparison between modern day Iray and UE since it doesn't include Iray native shaders or lighting) a Titan RTX (so roughly a 2080Ti ) gets you around 11 frames per second in Iray preview for a 1080p sized window with 115% system-wide screen scaling (or around 3fps with the window maxed on a 4k screen.)  Which is easily determined by checking the log file (which should look something like this if you've got things configured properly btw):

2019-12-09 15:53:44.172 Iray [INFO] - IRT:RENDER ::   1.0   IRT    rend info : Scene graph manager init took 0.000s2019-12-09 15:53:44.258 Iray [INFO] - IRT:RENDER ::   1.0   IRT    rend info : rendered frame 0169 in 0.085958s, 11.6fps (internal: 0.079671s, 12.6fps, overhead 7.3%)2019-12-09 15:53:44.262 Iray [INFO] - IRT:RENDER ::   1.0   IRT    rend info : Scene graph manager init took 0.000s2019-12-09 15:53:44.348 Iray [INFO] - IRT:RENDER ::   1.0   IRT    rend info : rendered frame 0170 in 0.085508s, 11.7fps (internal: 0.078924s, 12.7fps, overhead 7.7%)2019-12-09 15:53:44.349 Iray [INFO] - IRT:RENDER ::   1.0   IRT    rend info : Scene graph manager init took 0.000s2019-12-09 15:53:44.436 Iray [INFO] - IRT:RENDER ::   1.0   IRT    rend info : rendered frame 0171 in 0.087870s, 11.4fps (internal: 0.080833s, 12.4fps, overhead 8.0%)

Did you move the camera around? When I do that I get massive amounts of grain that takes a second to clear up. The frames per second doesn't tell that side of the story. Iray still needs to resolve the image. What it does is take information from the previous frames to resolve the final image which can take several frames to do. This is fine when the image is stable, but move around and it has to do this every time. So in this case, the frames per second is not an accurate representation of what is happening. 

wolf359 said:

Here's the use of Iray interactive in iclone. Doesn't look bad. Probably depends on your settings, etc. 

It is not just about speed.... people IRay was a massive FAILURE in the iclone community because it does not support the smoke,fire and other realtime particle effects that Iclone users had come to depend on for their animations...Unreal can do these types of things and is far more versatile for film-making useage beyond making BORING brute force arch -vis ,portraight /pinup& consumer product renders.

Yep, that's basically what I said earlier. These game engines can everything Iray can with PBR, but they can also do the special effects that we see in many movies. And fire! Iray can't do such a basic thing as fire. The game engines have the power of versatility on their side.

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,370

Iray is great, but it's not the end-all, be-all.... Especially for animation.

I would certainly learn Unreal Enginel if I could import DAZ characters with relative ease. But, frankly, the character shaders are so optimized for Iray and I have no idea how to make them look anywhere near as good in Unreal. It seems like it would take a ton of work.

• EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 1,390
    edited December 2019

I would certainly learn Unreal Enginel if I could import DAZ characters with relative ease. But, frankly, the character shaders are so optimized for Iray and I have no idea how to make them look anywhere near as good in Unreal. It seems like it would take a ton of work.

yeah to make good and realistic look characters in unreal is really not easy, here a video with exemple to setup a "realistic head"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-VyoqRB5_g

to achiev it you must really know how to setup the materials, which is not really easy at first but in the moment you learn how to do that become pretty simple because is just "repeat" the samething for each character you want.

here the full video about how they made it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktNlxiTir6I

normally i can get a little close to that with my materials, my only problem is which the "details become too visible specially if look too close, i'm still learning how to proper setup a skin material.

material setup in unreal is like the famous complex to learn at first but pretty easy to reproduce once you proper learned, once you know how to do all steps become really easy to do, the same goes for props, you can achiev stunning visuals all you need to know is proper setup the materials and shaders and the pros processing, you can achieve the same level or even better realism than you can get from daz all you need is know how to do the things which indeed is by no means easy at first for peoples like us which have low knowledge about these things.

Post edited by Ellessarr on
  • PadonePadone Posts: 3,437
    edited December 2019
    RayDAnt said:

Here is how to activate Iray's built-in alternate graphics rendering mode purpose built for achieving high quality game engine level graphics in relative realtime: 

The reason why I gave up at interactive mode is it had a terrible support for alpha-mapped transparency. But that was 4.9. Thank to your post I gave it another try and it seems much better now, though of course it's not photoreal quality. Thank you.

interactive.jpg
    640 x 360 - 83K
    Post edited by Padone on
    Ellessarr said:

yeah to make good and realistic look characters in unreal is really not easy, here a video with exemple to setup a "realistic head"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-VyoqRB5_g

to achiev it you must really know how to setup the materials, which is not really easy at first but in the moment you learn how to do that become pretty simple because is just "repeat" the samething for each character you want.

here the full video about how they made it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktNlxiTir6I

normally i can get a little close to that with my materials, my only problem is which the "details become too visible specially if look too close, i'm still learning how to proper setup a skin material.

material setup in unreal is like the famous complex to learn at first but pretty easy to reproduce once you proper learned, once you know how to do all steps become really easy to do, the same goes for props, you can achiev stunning visuals all you need to know is proper setup the materials and shaders and the pros processing, you can achieve the same level or even better realism than you can get from daz all you need is know how to do the things which indeed is by no means easy at first for peoples like us which have low knowledge about these things.

Thanks, Ellessarr

UE certainly intrigues me for its animation possibilities. But, yes, like DAZ, it will take training to come to know well. But do I have room enough in my brain??? LOL. 

here a exemple of mine attempts of making a "realistic skin

as i told my issue is because the skin details are too big(the problem does seens to come from the maps itself then the character ending looking like a sort of "elder person" specially in places like the feet it become a lot wrinkle, it's need a better normal map with "small skin details" or like in some cases you make a "separated map for the skin pores and use it as a channel then you can control teh size of the pores skins.

I achieve that by turning the bump maps in normal maps, when i use the "normal map" from the base skin, it's strengt is too low and don't make much difference from not using a normal map.

• I would love to see a shader and skin system for Unreal engine that way we can tweek our skins to work. I have Iclone myself and tried the Iray demo and passed myself for the missing features and memory constraints. Iray is great for stills but it is too heavy duty for animation. You don't have to run naked just spend money on a supported nvidia card for Iray renders under 30 mins. If you are rendering the whole scene and are willing to stop half way Intel denoiser works really well and after that just fix any issues in GIMP.

• jrlaudio said:

It boggles the mind when people confuse game rendering with 3D graphics rendering. They are not the same in any way shape or form. Do some reading on the subject before posting on this site about how game engines render faster than Iray (or any PBR 3D graphics render engine).

Look at those videos on something more substacial than a 1080p gaming monitor. I have a Dell 8K 32" and they look like dog droppings to me, even at 4K. Low resolution, and bad bad shaders. No SSS, and the lighting resolution ... well ... unatural is the best way to explain it. I know ... you're gonna say, "well most people have or don't have XYZ". That's a bad excuse to produce a low quality image ... really fast. An excellent high-resolution image will look awesome to everyone; a low quality image will look acceptable to most, horrid to a few, and outright unusable to anyone in the pro field.

To say that DAZ is a "hobbyist" version of 3D graphics authoring software does not say that it is not as complex in rendering as "pro-software", and the fact that hobbyists can use it doesn't change the technical aspects of Iray as a render engine. If you want stupid fast (and low quality) rendering use Unreal or any of the other game engines. If you want high resolution images, buy the hardware needed to make Iray render faster. Don't complain about things when you are comparing apples to pimentos. (That analogy is about right).

What hardware do you recommend to someone using a Pavillion HP Laptop? 

• RobinsonRobinson Posts: 751
    Ellessarr said:

as i told my issue is because the skin details are too big(the problem does seens to come from the maps itself then the character ending looking like a sort of "elder person" specially in places like the feet it become a lot wrinkle, it's need a better normal map with "small skin details" or like in some cases you make a "separated map for the skin pores and use it as a channel then you can control teh size of the pores skins.

I achieve that by turning the bump maps in normal maps, when i use the "normal map" from the base skin, it's strengt is too low and don't make much difference from not using a normal map.

What do you do in your material to give it shine on the eye moisture?  Eye moisture is one of those things that causes the eyes to be white in Unreal with a naive import (by naive I mean the kind I'm doing).  I just set it to 0 transparency which effectively gets rid of it completely.

Robinson said:
    Ellessarr said:

What do you do in your material to give it shine on the eye moisture?  Eye moisture is one of those things that causes the eyes to be white in Unreal with a naive import (by naive I mean the kind I'm doing).  I just set it to 0 transparency which effectively gets rid of it completely.

yeah i know the "eye issues" it was just a fast export to focus on skin i didn't touch the eye yet, i know which i need to fix it, it was just to show the skin later i will post another progress of the character.

here a update version it's still lack pos process and others things is just using the basic textures 

whe overal skin it's looks beautfull it will be only as long you don't look at the "hands' otherwise you will see a big old hag hand and feets cheeky

seeying from afar the feets and hands looks good but as soon you "get close" lol, it's looks like they take a full day inside the pool laugh

Ellessarr said:

yeah i know the "eye issues" it was just a fast export to focus on skin i didn't touch the eye yet, i know which i need to fix it, it was just to show the skin later i will post another progress of the character.

No, I mean your eyes are nice and shiny, whereas mine are kind-of flat and lifeless. 

Robinson said:
    Ellessarr said:

No, I mean your eyes are nice and shiny, whereas mine are kind-of flat and lifeless. 

hmmm, it's because again you need to tweak the material you also would need specular and maybe ambient occlusion map and normal for eyes also setting for metalical and roughness. here my eye materials:

the issue is which normally when you export the "character outside daz it's normally don't export all the maps, only the base color then you need to go for all the others and if you don't like then you need to build your own maps like i did.

Ellessarr said:

the issue is which normally when you export the "character outside daz it's normally don't export all the maps, only the base color then you need to go for all the others and if you don't like then you need to build your own maps like i did.#

Thanks.  I will study your shader!

Please note this video and screencaps from it are compressed a lot. Also, some people might find the video slightly creepy, LOL.

The next generation of video game consoles is coming people. And with it the fidelity of video games across the board will increase. Oh hey look...a fire! Lots a fires! This scene is basically impossible with Iray.

Oh, and every frame of this is being rendered "in engine" according to Phil Spencer. What that typically means is that this is running in real time in the game engine. It may not be actual gameplay. But that is not is not the point, it is to show what the new hardware and engine is capable of doing. Besides, like I said before, you guys are not making video games, so you do not need to be concerned about meeting video game performance requirements. The original Hellblade was made on Unreal 4. So this new game is probably with Unreal as well, however that is not yet confirmed.

edited December 2019
    This scene is basically impossible with Iray.

As far as phisics and effects are concerned iray and daz studio are very limited so far, I mean compared to blender and maya. That's another reason among many why iray and daz studio don't fit animation yet. But with the last few releases, bugs apart daz seems intentioned to somewhat fill the gap. So I guess there's hope.

Post edited by Padone on
  • FlipmodeFlipmode Posts: 881

Please note this video and screencaps from it are compressed a lot. Also, some people might find the video slightly creepy, LOL.

Just saw the trailer and instantly came here to see if someone posted it yet. ;)
    Senua`s face / face animation is done so well, watching it I forgot it was rendered and thought of the actress with warpaint on.

The discussion here changed a bit into "how does Daz stuff look in Unreal".
    That`s cool too, but not really any indication of what Daz could be with an integrated realtime engine.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    Flipmode said:

Just saw the trailer and instantly came here to see if someone posted it yet. ;)
    Senua`s face / face animation is done so well, watching it I forgot it was rendered and thought of the actress with warpaint on.

Agreed, totally awesome!

The discussion here changed a bit into "how does Daz stuff look in Unreal".
    That`s cool too, but not really any indication of what Daz could be with an integrated realtime engine.

yes

• RayDAnt said:

Another thing about when people compare games to Iray and say how far they need to go...they do not often consider that the game they are comparing to is well, a game. They are optimized to run typically at 60 frames per second, so of course the assets are geared towards that target.

But you do not have to do that! If you are NOT making a video game, then you can go hog wild on the settings and assets. A video game engine CAN use SSS (and many do), in case anybody is wondering. A game engine can use textures much higher than they normally do at the cost of performance. But if all you want to do is capture animation, then you are not so worried about the performance. It could be rendering at 5 frames per second, that would be totally fine and and anybody using Daz Iray will tell you they would KILL for 5 frames per second, LOL. You can adjust many settings in Iray to get faster renders, however it is pretty much impossible to render as fast as gaming engine with Iray. You could place gaming models in there, it just wouldn't matter. Iray is not capable of doing that. Iray's only hope for speed like that is denoising. And I know a lot of you do not like denoising. BTW gaming engines can use denoising as well.

At minimum you will need to play around with the rest of the options under Editor tab > Optimization in both places (changing Render Mode to "Interactive" completely changes/extends what this menu has to offer) to get workable results. But if your objective is to get animation adequate (ie. UE-level) graphics out of Iray and render speed rather than absolute photorealism is a priority, tweaking up this mode is the way to go - not attempting to tweak down Photoreal (since Photoreal inherently gives you fewer options.) 

As to how rendering performance actually does stack up... Using the Daz scene set originally pictured in this thread as an example (which, by the way, is a terrible choice for attempting to make a visual comparison between modern day Iray and UE since it doesn't include Iray native shaders or lighting) a Titan RTX (so roughly a 2080Ti ) gets you around 11 frames per second in Iray preview for a 1080p sized window with 115% system-wide screen scaling (or around 3fps with the window maxed on a 4k screen.)  Which is easily determined by checking the log file (which should look something like this if you've got things configured properly btw):

2019-12-09 15:53:44.172 Iray [INFO] - IRT:RENDER ::   1.0   IRT    rend info : Scene graph manager init took 0.000s2019-12-09 15:53:44.258 Iray [INFO] - IRT:RENDER ::   1.0   IRT    rend info : rendered frame 0169 in 0.085958s, 11.6fps (internal: 0.079671s, 12.6fps, overhead 7.3%)2019-12-09 15:53:44.262 Iray [INFO] - IRT:RENDER ::   1.0   IRT    rend info : Scene graph manager init took 0.000s2019-12-09 15:53:44.348 Iray [INFO] - IRT:RENDER ::   1.0   IRT    rend info : rendered frame 0170 in 0.085508s, 11.7fps (internal: 0.078924s, 12.7fps, overhead 7.7%)2019-12-09 15:53:44.349 Iray [INFO] - IRT:RENDER ::   1.0   IRT    rend info : Scene graph manager init took 0.000s2019-12-09 15:53:44.436 Iray [INFO] - IRT:RENDER ::   1.0   IRT    rend info : rendered frame 0171 in 0.087870s, 11.4fps (internal: 0.080833s, 12.4fps, overhead 8.0%)

Complete and utter neophyte when it comes to interactive mode here, so excuse me if the questions are really moronic. I've noticed that while the quality is more than acceptable enough for animation, the color of the skin changes, sometimes drastically, between photoreal and interactive modes. I guess that's due to the different way they process SSS (but, again, only guessing), but are there any tips to make them more consistent? The idea would be to mix stills and animations of the same characters in a visual novel, so consistency is very important.

edited December 2019
    Uthgard said:

I've noticed that while the quality is more than acceptable enough for animation, the color of the skin changes, sometimes drastically, between photoreal and interactive modes. I guess that's due to the different way they process SSS (but, again, only guessing), but are there any tips to make them more consistent?

It may seem obvious but an easy way is to avoid sss. That is, don't use it for interactive characters. Then it seems to me that translucency works fine so you can use it instead. For example in the standard G8F if you turn thin walled on for the skin then you'll have a good match between photoreal and interactive.

Then again I'm a newbie the same as you with the interactive mode so may be @RayDAnt has better suggestions.

Post edited by Padone on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited December 2019

cannot get alembic to import, it errors

the abc file works animated with dforce clothes in octane render standalone

and since Unreal Engine has updated their facebook cover image to that Hellblade one I would safely say it was made using it laugh

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Considering how good Senua's skin is in Hellblade, I would try to see how the studio accomplished that as a guide to getting Daz characters to look better in Unreal. People who do modding on games would have an idea of her textures and settings are. The original game from 2017 still looks pretty good, too, and those can be found and compared to Daz.

• bluejauntebluejaunte Posts: 1,859

I find that stuff somewhat breaks apart once it's actually moving in full resolution on my screen. Senua's Sacrifice didn't really look that good in the end.

we are getting closer and closer to have "full movies/animations being "rendered realtime", the more time pass the most close we get on there, where "pre render" will be on the pass.

edited December 2019

Here is some info on photorealistic characters from Unreal's own documentation:

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Resources/Showcases/PhotorealisticCharacter/index.html

Doesn't seem too different from Iray, though of course the devil is in the details. 

And here is someone who has done a hell of a lot of great work with UE4's skin. Looks pretty photoreal to me. He uses something called a "cavity texture," which isn't something I think DAZ characters have. 

https://texturing.xyz/pages/saurabh-jethani-creating-realistic-skin-in-ue4

These actually look better than many DAZ characters, which kind of fall apart at very extremely close up due to the lack of pores, etc.

Post edited by Leonides02 on

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Resources/Showcases/PhotorealisticCharacter/index.html

Doesn't seem too different from Iray, though of course the devil is in the details. 

And here is someone who has done a hell of a lot of great work with UE4's skin. Looks pretty photoreal to me. He uses something called a "cavity texture," which isn't something I think DAZ characters have. 

These actually look better than many DAZ characters, which kind of fall apart at very extremely close up due to the lack of pores, etc.

wow that is why i told which the problem when exporting characters to unreal or even on unreal we don't really get good resultes, because normally we only use the "most basic materials", to make a full photorealistic character, you must really know the real textures are needed, like i told you need maps, for cavities(pores), aombient occlusion, roughness, metalic, specular and how to proper setup then, it's really, really complext at firt because need good amount of texture maps for details and knowledge on how to link everything, but as soon you learn how to use it you really can get amazing results even for "game characters'(full clothed and with hairs) which much, much less polygons than some of the most high polygon count character in daz, all you need to know is how to proper setup it and get a real time character much more realistic than anything daz can pull atm, the thing is "learn how to do that" which is really the big issue, as i told i'm trying to learn that, i'm just started to learn what maps are needed and how to start to proper use then, i'm still a lot behind that for sure, but as i told i'm already started to get some good results since i can make "pores appear in the characters" but still not the better way, because it would need make learn how to make all the needed maps, which for a team of a "single man" for now is too much i'm still a lot busing in the level design and the programing the basic commands.

As i told i would really love to see DAZ giving more support to the "game engineer" side because it also could help the "render side" since some users are starting to move to game engineers to make renders and animations, then see daz "switching support would be cool and also, would be cool to see some DAZ / PA artists started to take a look at this and maybe try to add those things to they works(the ones working on the textures and arts). ofcourse i know which for now it can be pointless since daz don't give support to this type of work, but it can be good for a "future" and a way to improve your skills in texture development.

• Ellessarr said:

wow that is why i told which the problem when exporting characters to unreal or even on unreal we don't really get good resultes, because normally we only use the "most basic materials", to make a full photorealistic character, you must really know the real textures are needed, like i told you need maps, for cavities(pores), aombient occlusion, roughness, metalic, specular and how to proper setup then, it's really, really complext at firt because need good amount of texture maps for details and knowledge on how to link everything, but as soon you learn how to use it you really can get amazing results even for "game characters'(full clothed and with hairs) which much, much less polygons than some of the most high polygon count character in daz, all you need to know is how to proper setup it and get a real time character much more realistic than anything daz can pull atm, the thing is "learn how to do that" which is really the big issue, as i told i'm trying to learn that, i'm just started to learn what maps are needed and how to start to proper use then, i'm still a lot behind that for sure, but as i told i'm already started to get some good results since i can make "pores appear in the characters" but still not the better way, because it would need make learn how to make all the needed maps, which for a team of a "single man" for now is too much i'm still a lot busing in the level design and the programing the basic commands.

As i told i would really love to see DAZ giving more support to the "game engineer" side because it also could help the "render side" since some users are starting to move to game engineers to make renders and animations, then see daz "switching support would be cool and also, would be cool to see some DAZ / PA artists started to take a look at this and maybe try to add those things to they works(the ones working on the textures and arts). ofcourse i know which for now it can be pointless since daz don't give support to this type of work, but it can be good for a "future" and a way to improve your skills in texture development.

I actually think that most PAs don't do the entire batch of textures that could be done to make characters more "realistic" than they are now because it would push the render time even higher than it already could be. Although, I rarely see renders with just one or two characters and an HDRI take much more than about 10 minutes.

Spec looks great but overall this looks wrong to me. Probably the complete lack of SSS.

Spec looks great but overall this looks wrong to me. Probably the complete lack of SSS.

Why would there be a lack of SSS?

Why would there be a lack of SSS?

No idea. I just don't see any laugh

Maybe it's just a weird skin tone.