DAZ Install Manager (DIM) 1.0.1.108, Now Available!

DAZ_BrianDAZ_Brian Posts: 345
edited March 2014 in The Commons

DAZ 3D is pleased to announce the next public version of the DAZ Install Manager - version 1.0.1.108!

What is new in this version?

The 1.0.1.108 version is a maintenance release and fixes or makes improvements to several issues discovered since the 1.0.1.90 General Release. More detail on specific fixes/changes/improvements can be found in the Change Log, which can be viewed online within the Documentation Center portion of our site. All new downloads of DAZ Install Manager will be of this version.

Highlights are:
1) Updated software used to build the installers; possible fix to nvinit.dll crash of uninstaller during auto-update on Win; also received reports of recent Windows Update and a nVidia driver update contributing to the fix
2) Added context and option menu actions to Show Serial Number; popup provides clipboard copy; must be connected
3) Packages with associated serial numbers now have the ability to install the serial number; must be connected; must be supported by the software/plugin contained within the package; brand new installations of DAZ Studio handle this automatically
4) Made improvements to first time user/customer experience
5) Unified branding/messaging; occurrences of “DAZ 3D Install Manager 1” or variations thereof should all now read “DAZ Install Manager”
6) Made tweaks to the CMS sub-installer; inverted CMS “custom installation” checkbox meaning and default value - users commonly checked the option when quickly progressing through the installer, treating it like the agreement acceptance option
7) The "Ready To Install" page in the application installer has been removed; reduced the number of screens/clicks
8) Fixed issues with file ownership on Mac
9) Added RenderNode versions to Carrara application options
10) Fixed issues resulting from changes in OS X 10.9 that caused some software/plugin installations to fail

How do I get the latest version?

If you have previously installed the Install Manager application and the computer it is installed on is connected to the internet, you can simply launch the application and log into your account. Once connected, you will be notified that an update has been detected and you will be prompted to "Update" or "Work Offline". Click the "Update" button and the application will take care of the rest.

Optionally, you can locate, download and install the application from the Product Library [once you are logged into your account] by entering "Install Manager" into the text field near the top left of the page and clicking the "Filter" button, or by clicking here for Windows users, or here for Mac users.

If this is your first time downloading and/or installing Install Manager, simply follow this link, click the "download free now" button on the page and then run the downloaded installer.

*Note: If you are on a computer running the Windows operating system, you have an nVidia based graphics card installed along with another non nVidia graphics card (e.g. an Ivy bridge CPU), you have a recent graphics driver installed and you experience a crash during the uninstaller phase of the update... it is recommended that you download the installer from the Product Library (see above) and run it manually.

Is there any documentation?

Yes, documentation is located here. Clicking the "Help" button in the top right corner of the application main window will launch your [default] browser to the same location.

Post edited by DAZ_Brian on

Comments

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

Often when I use refresh in DIM it tells me the connection to the server has been broken then it puts me in offline mode which isn't a necessarily quick process. If I wanted to work in offline mode, I wouldn't have hit refresh in the first place.

Is there a reason DIM instead of putting you into offline mode doesn't just throw up the login window instead? At least with the login window you can log in and check for new files and if you really want to work offline it has the checkbox for that too.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Downloaded via DIM a bunch of stuff ... switched accounts ... to carry on ... nope. Forced to update first. Technically okay big deal BUT at some point through the first list of the queue it FROZE. Took hitting a lot of buttons before the thing stopped freezing enough to crash.
    And to this day I have no idea if it lost the downloads 'cause they aren't waiting to be downloaded anymore. Will have to do some manual checking later on ....

Thankfully the rest of the download requests were handled better.

'til next time.

• darkmasondarkmason Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Magnificent job of completely screwing up my DAZ system. I knew that the Install Manager was a bad idea, and you didn't disappoint. I think I particularly liked the seemingly several hundred error dialogs that I had to click through, and especially the 'you may have to contact support' dialog at the end.

I guess I'll wipe my system clean and do it manually the next time.

Good job DAZ.

• estheresther Posts: 608
    edited December 1969

I installed a daz studio update using this latest DIM and thought being an application it would go into the right place. I had install to previous rather than install to selected in the settings anyway, but when I ran DIM it installed into the selected folder. so i ran the uninstaller and it disappeared out of DIM completely. so i went to my ready to download tab and clicked refresh (thing at the top right) but my file did not appear in either my downloads or ready to install part, I think.

edited December 1969

I think i might have found the file, but maybe maybe not.

• rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,178
    edited December 1969

esther said:
    I installed a daz studio update using this latest DIM and thought being an application it would go into the right place. I had install to previous rather than install to selected in the settings anyway, but when I ran DIM it installed into the selected folder. so i ran the uninstaller and it disappeared out of DIM completely. so i went to my ready to download tab and clicked refresh (thing at the top right) but my file did not appear in either my downloads or ready to install part, I think.

It does install into the correct path. If you don't like the default, the [base] path can be customized. That path is defined by the "64 bit Software:" and/or "32 bit Software:" options on the "Installation" page of the "Settings" dialog. The same paths are displayed in the area shown at the bottom of the list when the "Show Details" option is checked on the "Ready to Download" and/or "Ready to Install" pages. The content paths/shortcuts have no effect on software installation - the only exception is if a package contains both software and content, in which case it will only affect where the content portion is installed.

'Respective "Installed" Paths' (or "install to previous" as you referred to it) and "Selected Path" (or "install to selected" as you referred to it) are content install options. The label to the left of the option, in the area displayed below the list when "Show Details" is checked, states "Content Updates Install To:". The label to the left of the same options on the "Installation" page in the "Settings" dialog states "Content Updates:". This option does not affect software installation, hence being preceded by the word "Content."

The "Delete Package Once Installed" option at the bottom of the "Ready to Install" page will do exactly as the name suggests. This means that if you uninstall something which you installed while this option was checked, the package which you used to install will not be listed on either of the "Ready to Install" or the "Installed" pages. Once you connect again, the package should be listed on the "Ready to Download" page. If the package is not listed on the "Ready to Download" page, check that you have not hidden it and/or that you are not filtering it. You can see the packages that you have hidden by checking the "Display Hidden" option, at the top of the "Ready to Download" page.

-Rob

• rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,178
    edited December 1969

darkmason said:
    Magnificent job of completely screwing up my DAZ system. I knew that the Install Manager was a bad idea, and you didn't disappoint. I think I particularly liked the seemingly several hundred error dialogs that I had to click through, and especially the 'you may have to contact support' dialog at the end.

I guess I'll wipe my system clean and do it manually the next time.

Good job DAZ.

I'm afraid your description of the problem is a bit too vague if your intention is to obtain help. Would you care to elaborate? Several hundred error dialogs... and 'you may have to contact support'... Do you have any screen shots of these messages or any more information on when they occurred or what you were doing when they occurred?

• Madjack01Madjack01 Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but...
    Whenever I use the Install Manager to try to install DAZ Studio 4.6 I get this error message...

"Install Manager cannot find a required path. The installer for "DAZ Studio 4.6 (Win 32-bit)" requires that the installed path for "DAZ Studio 4.5 (32-bit)" be defined. Make sure that a path for this application is present on the "Applications" page of the "Settings" dialog, then try again. "

What path do I need to enter in the Applications section to get it to install?

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,358
    edited December 1969

Can you post a screen shot of your applications tab?

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693
    edited December 1969

this DIM version is broken.

support will dance around this reality in the forums, but somebody in back knows.

test the next one better guys/gals. it's a good tool when it works.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,061
    edited December 1969

mindsong said:

support will dance around this reality in the forums, but somebody in back knows.

Broken how? Generic complaints with no supporting information cannot be fixed - and as a former sysadmin/software support type, this kind of statement gets dumped into the trash without a bit of remorse.

Operating system? What is failing - download? Install? Path Setup? Any information in the log? (Click on the gear icon, top right, and then 'view log', bottom left - scroll to the bottom for the most recent information).

The only problems I've had so far have all turned out to be self-inflicted - and fixable, once I figured out what I'd done wrong.

Give us something to work with, and we may be able to help.

edited December 1969

thanks rbtwhiz.
    I am pretty sure I didn't have delta package once installed checked, but then again I am not certain my file did disappear. I thought it was the daz studio beta but there was still a daz studio installation file in my list so I installed it.
    I think I see what went wrong at the beginning. I had both content and an application. For DS installations I choose the software to go wherever the 64 bit goes which is my applications folder and for the content I chose the option called recommended that is the default label, and then I also have a ton of poser external runtimes.
    so anyway I think it is all okay as far as I know.
    thanks again for your help. DIM has got a bit of a learning curve.
    Love esther
    PS I still really really think that drop down arrow for the current label and path is not necessary as we have them all in the scroll list. One should just be able to double click on one of those labels in that list to get it to be the current install to selected path. I would find that easier and make less mistakes. Also one should then be able to click on date of label creation or name of label tabs (don't exist yet) and then they could reorder. so if one has lots of labels in a long list it would make finding the right one easier.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited November 2013

SUGGESTION for an update...

How about adding the ability to add in TWO install paths. One for one's main library and the other for an auto back up.

Do you know how hard it is to back up "My Library" without using comprehensive back up software? If DIM provided an option for a dual install path for just the content packages I'd be so happy! I understand about programs and non Library packages being excluded but just the main My Library where I install all my stuff for using in DAZ Studio. Yup!

Post edited by RAMWolff on
  • RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited November 2013

DIM is staying in "busy mode" at the moment here on my Mac - no matter if I try offline or online mode. Anyone else experience this?

Edit: Resolved itself. apparently there was an access conflict on the DIM download directory, which made DIM never complete the initial scanning. Additionally after a reboot I had crashes of DIM when trying to download, but that was resolved after removing the files manually that DIM tried to create/download earlier.

Post edited by Renpatsu on
    edited December 1969

Downloaded via DIM a bunch of stuff ... switched accounts ... to carry on ... nope. Forced to update first. Technically okay big deal BUT at some point through the first list of the queue it FROZE. Took hitting a lot of buttons before the thing stopped freezing enough to crash.
    And to this day I have no idea if it lost the downloads 'cause they aren't waiting to be downloaded anymore. Will have to do some manual checking later on ....

Thankfully the rest of the download requests were handled better.

'til next time.

to add to my post ... as others are having some problems too and no, this is NOT something we're doing.

Not always for me, but sometimes it appears to "freeze". This evening it appeared to freeze but then the program flashed and the top two 'vanished' from the list. After awhile, the next two 'poofed' from the list. Whether or not they have appeared in the to be downloaded section I cannot verify at this time.

download_thing_isnt_working_right.png
    1366 x 406 - 84K
    edited December 1969

namffuak said:
    mindsong said:

Broken how? Generic complaints with no supporting information cannot be fixed - and as a former sysadmin/software support type, this kind of statement gets dumped into the trash without a bit of remorse.

Operating system? What is failing - download? Install? Path Setup? Any information in the log? (Click on the gear icon, top right, and then 'view log', bottom left - scroll to the bottom for the most recent information).

The only problems I've had so far have all turned out to be self-inflicted - and fixable, once I figured out what I'd done wrong.

Give us something to work with, and we may be able to help.

Sure - I'm glad you fixed your self-inflicted problem.

To wit - while less-than-useful, my in-transit post was written to save others some needless hair-pulling.

Technically, this has all of the symptoms of a permissions problem that isn't seen with simple content installs, but cripples folks with plugins and other default base-directory install packages, as this version of the DIM will happily install content in a non-system area (like a 'D:\' drive), but it will not install anything in either of my 32/64 'program files' directories, which is pretty basic to making a complete installation from scratch - given plugins, etc.

From a cold-boot start-up and DIM open, any attempt to install anything that goes under the default 'program files' space, is met with the new-to-me-with-DIM, but-not-uncommon Windows7 "must be done by admin, continue?" dialog (I say "OK"), then DIM fails with no message, and the 'install failed' label on the button. The generic logs indicate a process dying.

After numerous experiments, every-so-often, a rational pop-up log is presented indicating a failed attempt to install things in what are auditably rational and existing (but protected) 'program files' sub-directories. But that dialog appears inconsistently at best, and its messages aren't obviously available for post-mortem analysis, and aren't in the default DIM log that I can find.

Again, this is as COTS an install as is possible, other than the content being set to a D:\ drive location, where it happily resides and is maintained.

Given this apparent permissions constraint, DIM will also fail to install Bryce, Carrara, Photoshop, and Vue content/plugins under their respective default base installation directories as well.

Info for the 'folks in back', this is a completely fresh COTS Win-7 x64 patched install, w/ Daz products being the *first/only* products installed up to the point of the error. The download directory (zips and dsx files) is on a network mounted drive (mapped as a lettered drive). My previous (pre-disk-crash) installs (from the first DIM version released, and all follow-on versions) had no problems with this install model - just this newest version.

Final hint (where I'd start to look) - once the DIM process requests and becomes privileged, I believe it can no longer read the network source drive (theory). This would account for much of the DIM confusion and mixed messages. Given the history of it working in the past, I'll let Daz try to fix it first, before I muck-up my in-house permission schema.

Perhaps related to a recent windows security patch, or a code problem in the DIM. Don't know, don't really care, so long as mere-mortals don't get all bent fixing a problem that likely isn't theirs to fix.

A simple test would be to remove and re-add a system plugin (mimic-live, etc.) and see if it re-installs OK.

Lastly, you may notice that I'm generally pretty 'short' with Daz. They went from a great small company to a POS corporation, and are slowly pulling it back together. If I'm bothering to write something in these forums, it's likely I'm pissed. I don't have time or inclination to pussy-foot around BS anymore, and this place was thick with it not-so-long-ago. Walk a mile in a man's shoes before responding to this point.

And for god's sake, don't even think of preaching at me to open up a ticket. This is as much of my life as they get. They know what to do from here.

DIM has a problem. I expect Daz folks will fix it soon. I wait with optimism, but little patience for BS. And my Daz products are functionally 'Down' until they fix this. But it's all good, my fresh Poser and Vue installs are working fine... Plenty to do.

cheers,

ms

edited December 1969

Update:

My theory was correct - permissions of various sorts - I'm up w/ my Daz Product Line.

Fixes that worked for me on W7 x64:

overview:

- as administrator account, uninstall and re-install DS4.6 and DIM, both latest, from *.exe files downloaded from daz account (NOT DIM).
    - run DIM (normal account) and re-validate/authenticate the path to the downloads
    - refresh DIM (upper right button, next to login info) and try broken installs again.

detail:

- log into your daz account and download the EXE versions of DS4.6 and DIM (blue buttons)
    - quit DAZ and DIM programs
    - remove both programs (control panel->program&features;)
    - right-click on new DS4.6 installer and "run as administrator". Do install, but don't run when doing DIM install...
    - right click on new DIM and "run as administrator" as well.
    - run DIM, login to daz per usual, let settle/sync.
    - open settings (upper right corner gear)
    - click Downloads tab
    - Browse to "Downloads to:" path, and authenticate if it asks... if you can't browse it, DIM can't see it.
    - try installing plugins as before. Mine worked - all of them (60ish items that failed before).

Since the DIM was release I've never had to give the DIM permission to run as Administrator to do anything. Either my shiny new install doesn't have my base account as some power-user mode that was set before, or windows-security/Daz has made things more secure, or Daz made a recent change that is causing this (unlikely, methinks).

Either way, I hope Daz can automate this fix, or notify users of the actual problem with a meaningful error message, because most mortals would have no idea what to make if this from the available information.

I'm still not entirely sure if it was the privileged re-install, or the browse/authenticate step (or both) that made this work.

I hope it helps someone and helps the Daz-devs understand the problem better.

cheers,

ms

edited December 1969

mindsong said:
    Update:

My theory was correct - permissions of various sorts - I'm up w/ my Daz Product Line.

Fixes that worked for me on W7 x64:

overview:

- as administrator account, uninstall and re-install DS4.6 and DIM, both latest, from *.exe files downloaded from daz account (NOT DIM).
    ... edit ...

Might be something to this because this was the first DIM I let install/update itself. Previous one which worked fine was manually downloaded installed ... so am redoing DIM the manual way.

Thanks.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,061
    edited December 1969

Mindsong - I'm glad you got it sorted out.

I run DIM on my laptop (XP) for downloads and limited installs - and I'm a local admin on it anyway, but this sort of permission issue just doesn't crop up there. The only issue I have is during DIM self-updating, when I get the pop-up looking for which account to run under I need to click off the default 'protect my system' option or DIM crashes.

On my stand-alone render box (Win 7 ultimate) - I'm putting all the DAZ software on the D drive, so my two paths are 'D:\bits-32' and 'D:\bits-64'. And even if I were not using the D drive, I wouldn't be using 'Program Files' or 'Program Files (x86)' - personal issues, don't like the names, and I install my software directly under vendor or product name at the C drive level.

It sounds to me like you may have been a local admin earlier and haven't got that set up on the new system.

• edited November 2013

I have been unable to download this version of DIM. Every time I try, the download times out. Whether I use the old version of DIM, my browser (Firefox) or a download manager, it always times out. And as, at least in this case, DAZ's servers do not support resuming downloads, it starts over at the beginning every time.

I use a PC with Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, my internet connection is through a tethered 2G cellphone (very slow, no high-speed connection available).

I have wished, many times, that DAZ's servers supported resuming downloads.

The last log entry follows:

+++++++++++++++ Install Manager 1.0.1.90 starting +++++++++++++++++
    OS bits: 64
    Platform bits: 32
    Qt Version: 4.8.4
    Locale: en_US
    Running on Windows 7, Build 7601, Service Pack 1
    Physical Memory:
    Total: 3.9 GB (4294967295)
    Avail: 3.9 GB (4294967295)
    Virtual Memory:
    Total: 3.9 GB (4294836224)
    Avail: 3.8 GB (4164919296)
    Current Memory Usage: 40%
    Current DateTime:
    Loc: Wed Nov 20 14:53:58 2013
    UTC: Wed Nov 20 22:53:58 2013
    Application Data:
    Location = C:/Users/Public/Documents/DAZ 3D/InstallManager
    Disk Total: 309.5 GB (332335673344)
    Disk Avail: 222.2 GB (238662844416)
    Reading dzInstall.ini
    Current Account: Dave Simmons
    Current Download Path:
    Location = C:/Users/Public/Downloads/DAZ
    Current Content Install Path:
    Location = D:/My Documents/Daz 3D/Studio/My Library
    Disk Total: 156.2 GB (167771000832)
    Disk Avail: 45.6 GB (49010651136)
    Current 64-bit Software Install Path:
    Location = C:/Program Files
    Current 32-bit Software Install Path:
    Location = C:/Program Files (x86)
    WARNING: Network Error while downloading to file "C:/Users/S67BIG~1/AppData/Local/Temp/DAZ3DInstallManager/IM00014810_InstallManagerWin32.zip.{38a272e7-2bab-beb9-e029-4e29b8ae602e}.part": Connection closed
    Current Account: Dave Simmons
    Processed 113 installed products totaling 3.2 GB
    Saving Account Settings: Dave Simmons
    Processed 86 products with 128 unique product downloads
    --------------- Install Manager exited ------------------

Dave

2013-11-20_15_04_57-DAZ_3D_Account.png
    425 x 124 - 20K
    Post edited by s67bigdave_e8d5da6c00 on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Did you try to download the installer through the Product Library?
    http://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files/#prod_14810

• edited December 1969

Yes I did, same problem. I was using Firefox to try to download it, I bypassed the download manager in that attempt.

• edited November 2013

This mornings attempt from the Product Library using Firefox w/o download manager. Still timing out and getting incomplete downloads.

2013-11-21_08_10_00-Error_in_Installer.png
    492 x 171 - 18K
    2013-11-21_08_06_50-.png
    396 x 67 - 3K
    Post edited by s67bigdave_e8d5da6c00 on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

BigDave67 said:
    This mornings attempt using Firefox w/o download manager. Still timing out and getting incomplete downloads.

If you get a corrupted or incomplete download, empty your browser cache before attempting to download a 2nd time. THe corrpted version will stay in your cache and cause subsequent attempts to fail at the same point.

• edited December 1969

OK, cleared the browser cache, history, download history, etc.
    Logged back in. Went back to the Product Library, clicked on "Install Manager Win", clicked on the "Get Install Manager" button.
    http://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files/#prod_14810

Only downloaded 2.2 MB this time, it was 2.3 MB last time.
    This one should have a "resume" function enabled on the server.

2013-11-21_08_38_11-.png
    393 x 86 - 6K
  • Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

Just a little post for information. I'm not asking for help

I usually only use the public 64 bit beta build on my notebook so that I can test various things. In the last days I used DIM to download and install 32 bit public beta and 64 bit stable release. The 32 bit installed without problem and was functional as well as the 64bit release version. Then I went on with downloading and installing the 64 beta update but something odd must have happened as my 64 bit beta is nowhere to be found although the Log file states that the installation was also successful. When I use the DIM to show me the installed files it only shows me a blank page. And Windows search function didn't find any other place where the files could be. It seems my 64bit beta is completely vanished. I don't know if I did a mistake (accidental deletion?) or if that is the DIM result.

However. At that point I can't restart a new install of the 64bit Beta with DIM and I have to extract the files by hand. It would be good to have an option to do a new install
    What also seem to work is to try uninstalling via DIM. The uninstall process will start but stay at 0% and can't complete as it will find no files. But after closing DIM then start it again I had the option to install it again. So right now I have all 3 DS installs completely functionnal. Don't know exactely what went wrong before

An other point : it would be good to check if some files are opened before starting the download process, or at the moment DIM tries to replace the old zip with the new one. I had the previous 64bit beta zip file opened before starting downloading the updated one and the download was a failure because of that. The DIM couldn't replace the old zip with the new one as I had it opened. There was no information of the Why it was a failure.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Does DIM show it as installed? Can you uninstall from DIM and then reinstall it?

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

As I said, The install was successfull and DIM showed it as intalled but you can't uninstall it as DIM won't find the files. But never mind I got it sorted

However. At that point I can't restart a new install of the 64bit Beta with DIM and I have to extract the files by hand. It would be good to have an option to do a new install
    What also seem to work is to try uninstalling via DIM. The uninstall process will start but stay at 0% and can't complete as it will find no files. But after closing DIM then start it again I had the option to install it again. So right now I have all 3 DS installs completely functionnal. Don't know exactely what went wrong before

• JackGerberJackGerber Posts: 12
    edited December 1969

Hope I am asking in the right place. I have DAZ Install Manager working and have a question. It has the option of "work offline". Perhaps I misunderstand but I thought that meant to install from files I manually downloaded from DAZ and have on my computer. When I check that, however, everything goes dark so I have no idea how to proceed. I prefer to have a backup copy on my computer for reinstall rather than having to download it new each time. Can I do that with the DAZ Install manager? If not, what does "work offline" mean?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Hope I am asking in the right place. I have DAZ Install Manager working and have a question. It has the option of "work offline". Perhaps I misunderstand but I thought that meant to install from files I manually downloaded from DAZ and have on my computer. When I check that, however, everything goes dark so I have no idea how to proceed. I prefer to have a backup copy on my computer for reinstall rather than having to download it new each time. Can I do that with the DAZ Install manager? If not, what does "work offline" mean?

That's exactly right, only the "Ready to Download" tab should go dark, you should still be able to work with files that were downloaded previously.